Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dueling Etiquette

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
I just started dueling in ranked PvP a couple of weeks ago. I've noticed a couple of things players say that are in poor taste. Biggest of these is asking a player to go easy for a round or two in a RANKED match. These matches mean something and the players should play to the best of thier ability and luck. Trash talk and whining are annoying and in poor taste, but please don't ask an oppenent in ranked battles to go easy for a round. I've been in plenty of matches already where one round made the difference between winning or losing. If I am playing in the practice arena and you ask, I'll probably say yes to this request so that you can play with a new deck idea or see how something works in the game. But do NOT ask this in a ranked game. Just play your best and be a gracious winner or loser. Don't whine about "unfair" cards, your opponent using treasure cards (KI has already done a fix for that and it will take some time for the hoarders to run out), or that one school is better than another. This is a game of luck and skill and KI has done a good job of balancing strategies (one exception being chain stunners, but I'm sure KI is working on a good fix for this). Just realize that you can't and won't win every match. Be a gracious opponent and consider every experience a chance to learn to better your game.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2010
scarecrow182000 wrote:
I just started dueling in ranked PvP a couple of weeks ago. I've noticed a couple of things players say that are in poor taste. Biggest of these is asking a player to go easy for a round or two in a RANKED match. These matches mean something and the players should play to the best of thier ability and luck. Trash talk and whining are annoying and in poor taste, but please don't ask an oppenent in ranked battles to go easy for a round. I've been in plenty of matches already where one round made the difference between winning or losing. If I am playing in the practice arena and you ask, I'll probably say yes to this request so that you can play with a new deck idea or see how something works in the game. But do NOT ask this in a ranked game. Just play your best and be a gracious winner or loser. Don't whine about "unfair" cards, your opponent using treasure cards (KI has already done a fix for that and it will take some time for the hoarders to run out), or that one school is better than another. This is a game of luck and skill and KI has done a good job of balancing strategies (one exception being chain stunners, but I'm sure KI is working on a good fix for this). Just realize that you can't and won't win every match. Be a gracious opponent and consider every experience a chance to learn to better your game.

Yeah I agree with this.

Just yesterday I was dueling a wizard who, somewhere in the third or fourth round, began attempts to "order" me to stop using wards and healing magic. He was trying to make a deal, saying that if I didn't use it...neither would he. But since I've been playing MMO's for over 10 years and have come to have zero trust in someone's promises online, I ignored his deal.

What was really comical is that he jumped to the assumption that I was going to listen to him and when I healed anyways he said, on quote, "What part of not healing did you not understand?" LOL.

I think some people who PvP on this game need to understand and learn that mercy in PvP is a rare occurrence, and I believe that people who do not know of this are in need of more MMO experience. There are some people out there who have no qualms with smiting another player regardless of mercy, honor, remorse, or pity. After I had healed myself and the battle continued, he then attempted to put me on a pity party stating that he was only 10 years old, and that I was being mean to a simple kid.

Me thinks he was lying because he had open chat, and I would gather that no 10 year old would be usually allowed to have that privilege unless his/her parents are...naive...about online gaming communities and the immaturities that abound, even on Wizard101.

But that's just theory.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
I agree, it got on my last nerve when this person went like "Oh, your a noob! We're gonna win!" That individual along with his "HEAL ME" spam buddy were both level 20s. I was on my level 14 death and I had just gotten sacrifice and wanted to try it out in the practice arena. My team went second, and we had two life wizards and an ice(along with my death). So, anyways, the duel started like this:

Level 20: We're so gonna win! All these guys are noobs!
Me: Excuse me? Me, a noob? lol
Level 20: ..?
Me: This is my third wizard, my other two are grandmasters.
Level 20: Well, I have sixth grandmasters! Not including this one!
Me: So, if you have that many grandmasters you probably know the name of Malistares quest
Level 20: one second
(a minute later)
Me: Well?
Level20: What?
Me: Name of the quest?
Level 20: One minute
Me: Well, I assume that was a lie because you aren't answering my simple question
Level 20: I'm on two accounts at one time
(Level20 spammer had died and was now chanting "HEAL ME! HEAL ME")
Level20: dude, shut o up
Me: *applying shields*
Level20: Whats with all the shields? Shields are for noobs!
Me: So, because I'm smart I'm a noob?
Level 20: Oh well, doesn't matter, we'll win anyways!

Our team ended up winning with all of our players alive. I had blocked that Level 20 person and my duel went along smoothly because he was arguing with himself. I really wish people were nicer in the arena, but once I got them in an arguement they can't win but they still are making up stuff to prove their point, I block them.

Rainhaven and Angleweaver level 50 storm and level 49 ice

Survivor
Jun 21, 2010
Penguin4ever wrote:
I agree, it got on my last nerve when this person went like "Oh, your a noob! We're gonna win!"

Me: So, if you have that many grandmasters you probably know the name of Malistares quest
(a minute later)
Me: Well, I assume that was a lie because you aren't answering my simple question

LOL funny.

Just my personal opinion, I think the word "noob" is so overused and old. I mean, there was a time back in the day when it was fresh and effective, but now its simply weak and annoying. I think its time we have another 12 year old pop onto the internet and create a new word that has that "shamwow" kind of attraction. Hey, you know Germans always make great stuff. :)

But seriously, I don't even use "noob" anymore because enemies simply laugh at it and don't take it the way its supposed to be taken like they used to.

As for the dialog in your duel, I think its funny how the level 20 was obviously looking up the answer to your question over the 'net while at the same time pretending he was on another account. I bet you didn't buy it for a second, and neither would I.

Defender
Feb 15, 2010
Penguin4ever wrote:
I agree, it got on my last nerve when this person went like "Oh, your a noob! We're gonna win!" That individual along with his "HEAL ME" spam buddy were both level 20s. I was on my level 14 death and I had just gotten sacrifice and wanted to try it out in the practice arena. My team went second, and we had two life wizards and an ice(along with my death). So, anyways, the duel started like this:

(a minute later)

Our team ended up winning with all of our players alive. I had blocked that Level 20 person and my duel went along smoothly because he was arguing with himself. I really wish people were nicer in the arena, but once I got them in an arguement they can't win but they still are making up stuff to prove their point, I block them.

Rainhaven and Angleweaver level 50 storm and level 49 ice

I think the exact same guy came into one of my matches lol