Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

server idea...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
I was just thinking what if subscribers have a few realms or servers that are just for them? Because I really don't like the fact that I have to wait a while to log in or even have it where I can't because the realm is to full... I just think that the lag in will be less of problem for those to actually pay to play this game. Plus it will be a nice perk for those who do pay! ^-^

Defender
Dec 14, 2009
Tunai wrote:
I really don't like the fact that I have to wait a while to log in or even have it where I can't because the realm is to full...

I have to agree. The process required to login and/or change from one wizard to another can take as long as 5 minutes sometimes. As a paying member, I find that frustrating.

One night I had that problem while attempting to shuffle battle drops around to all my wizards through the shared bank. With 6 wizards, 5 minutes a piece, I spent 30 minutes just waiting for servers. And that's assuming I only switched once. I probably wasted over an hour of my time, just trying to do some simple inventory maintenance.

I know that KI is going through some growing pains with the launch and popularity of the pet update. So I'm trying to be patient and let them work out the issues. But wait until Celestia launches. It will probably be worse.

As someone who has experience managing IT infrastructure, I can only assume that there is a load-balancing mechanism in place, to balance the user load across many different physical servers, regardless of realm.

If this is not the case, I would suggest it. I have had experience with both F5 and Cisco systems. Although that was 5+ years ago and technology has changed, I can offer those up as suggestions.

I have also had experience implementing an edge computing mechanism with Akamai, which could move the login and authentication code out to a server in close physical proximity to the end users. This is something that could be explored as well.

If there is already a load balancing mechanism in place, perhaps once the username and password have been validated, this load-balancing mechanism can be used to send paying members to a set of servers that are dedicated to a higher level of service and guaranteed to run at lower utilization.

This would go a long way to prevent spikes in free user activity, from affecting those of us who have chosen to pay for our memberships or crowns, and support KI for the long haul.

It would also prevent denial of service attacks by non-members, from affecting member activity.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 34 (Magus Sorcerer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 30 (Magus Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 28 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 21 (Adept Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 16 (Journeyman Necromancer)

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
well not only will it help the load time but I think that it will also help those who lag A LOT in like Wizard City and in Triton Ave. But also those of us who create a new char.