Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

can pets help fight?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
I remember the update mentioning that pets can assist in battle. How do you get them to do so? Is it a special tab or button, or maybe a spell card like a minion? Is there some way you can "preview" battle abilities/spells the pet can cast (other than the spell card it gives you)? I wonder sometimes if the pet I'm training up will be useless in battle. Perhaps adding icons for "spells pet can use in battle" on it's stat page will help players decide which pet to bring with them.

Perhaps KI could make an aging potion for pets? One can spend X crowns to advance a pet's age one catagory (only once per pet, or not function for anything over adult level)? If only for just the test realm it may help us judge whether or not to waste a lot of time training a weak/useless pet.

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
I love the aging potion idea. It would really help when the pet has stats up to max and anything you do to it like train or feed yields little or no results and its still an adult or ancient. Maybe a potion that gives the xp it takes to go from baby to teen and if you want more xp then you just buy more potions. It would not be cheating as it would not affect the stats other than xp.

Also, I have no clue other than stats how a pet helps in battle. Fact is, I gave up on the thought until Mrs Greyrose had stated on Wizardcentral

"We're aware the pets who cast in a duel are currently using the players wards and blades - this is a bug and we are working to correct this issue.

Going forward, when your pet casts in a duel, they will not use your blades and they will not trigger wards."

Which stumps me because I dont see any results or effects other than traits that pets affect a battle either in pve or pvp.

Pets do give ya a good boost but i have yet seen a pet use a ward or blade. Now minions, however, seem to think you put those wards out just for them :-) not complaining because I took it as a challenge to work around that.

Hero
May 27, 2009
I have an Earthwalker in Test that can cast Blood Bat, and it did it twice in the same battle, only after I attacked and it always attacked the same target as me. If you always do big hits and take out enemies with one strike, your pet will never cast a spell for you. At least, that is my observation.

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
ok i went back to test again and I am still confused. I know pets have cards but you have to select the card as a item spell to make it work. so, how does a pet cast spells? I have heard of this a lot but havent seen it so dont know how it works and feel really lost.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
f1ng3br1ts0n wrote:
ok i went back to test again and I am still confused. I know pets have cards but you have to select the card as a item spell to make it work. so, how does a pet cast spells? I have heard of this a lot but havent seen it so dont know how it works and feel really lost.
the pets dont attack on their own when you use the card they give you it will leave your side and do the attack.

Defender
May 24, 2009
This is funny when people don't read the patch notes. :P This is how it works, your pet doesn't help you in battle! Your pet must have the abililty to help in battle, if it doesn't too bad. Hope this helps! :)

Survivor
Dec 24, 2009
Heyyyy, well does the pets like give you cards in the future??? Like just some pets or all or whats the deal? i'm confused... like when they get older do they give you stuff???

Survivor
Nov 12, 2009
conzs wrote:
Heyyyy, well does the pets like give you cards in the future??? Like just some pets or all or whats the deal? i'm confused... like when they get older do they give you stuff???

so can pets fight