Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No means no!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
I do not like complaining and this isn't really a complaint anyway. I am posting this because there is one thing that ticks me off....begging. When someone says "No." when you want help, that means "No". It doesn't mean beg and plead and beg and plead and beg beg beg and plead plead plead until they say "yes". That doesn't work for me. If someone keeps doing that to me, I just delete them.

All I'm saying is, take my advice and don't beg if you still want to be friends with that person. Cause I know its not just me who is sick of this.

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
IamLezul wrote:
I do not like complaining and this isn't really a complaint anyway. I am posting this because there is one thing that ticks me off....begging. When someone says "No." when you want help, that means "No". It doesn't mean beg and plead and beg and plead and beg beg beg and plead plead plead until they say "yes". That doesn't work for me. If someone keeps doing that to me, I just delete them.

All I'm saying is, take my advice and don't beg if you still want to be friends with that person. Cause I know its not just me who is sick of this.
Really I want to go to Wiz City every once in a while but i cant because of the fact i will be BOMBBARDED by NOOBS when i walk a few steps :(

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I agree, I delete with little sorrow so called friends who can't spend their own monies. Nothing on this game that can be gifted is all that expensive, no more than an hour at minimum wage...go mow a lawn, babysit, or do chores for your parents, etc.

As for Wizard City, when I have to go through on a busy day, I just turn off friend requests.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
FlipFredFredBurger wrote:
IamLezul wrote:

Really I want to go to Wiz City every once in a while but i cant because of the fact i will be BOMBBARDED by NOOBS when i walk a few steps :(

I'm feeling you!

Delver
Mar 19, 2009
Yes, though usually I hit ignore and then if they still bug me by following me around I delete them if they are already me friend. Begging is also annoying when they want to be your friend. IT IS SO ANNOYING!

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I have generally been fortunate to not experience that aspect. Partly because, unless I'm working on a new wizard and it's low level, I won't accept add requests from anyone in Wizard City.

However, this morning I did just that, because yesterday I did (On accident) and actually had a very nice conversation with a person who didn't ask for a single thing. Not even help. He just wanted to chat :-) Well, and complain a little that gift cards weren't available in Greece where he lives. I suggested he email Wizard101 on that issue :-)

So, today, when I got a friend request, I clicked yes. This particular wizard is in Krokotopia right now, so at level 17, adding a level 10 wasn't a huge deal.

And then it started. First was asked if I had a house. I said no, not yet, I hadn't decided which one I wanted. She asked (judging by name, assuming it's a female) which ones I was deciding from. I told her Life or Myth. She then bugged me some more. I replied that yes, I would have the crowns when I was ready to decide, but that wasn't an issue, because I simply wasn't ready. A bit later, she demanded that I decide or she would leave. Um, ok? So I explained that under no circumstances would I be rushed into a decision that involved me spending my money just to please her. And to take care, and good bye. I removed her from my list. She still kept contacting me and began asking for stuff. I said no, and told her next time she contacted me I'd report her for harrassment. Generally an empty threat from me, because the only time I tend to report are people who get around the word filter to swear, or swear-like words. Then the add friend requests came one after the other. Somehow, when I went into an area from another area, she got added again. I removed her. Again, she got added when I went to another area. Forgot about the ignore feature, so removed her again. I can only hope that I'm removed off her list, as well.

Knock on wood, my son nor myself have never been bugged much at all for free stuff.

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
I agree with this post. I dont normally help out because i am usually busy at the moment. My friend asked for help, I said not now, then he kept saying "PLZ" "pretty plz with cherry on top" Then after a whole 5 minutes of saying no, he said "you never help out, your not a good friend" I told him I was coming. I finished what iw as doing and went to help him, but then he started to be rude and I was talking to a friend and the guy i was helping out kept saying "go in!" waiting for me to go in. I helped him which was a BIG MISTAKE because he was begging and he was being rude.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
I know how you feel. Being a level 42 wizard I can never go through the commons without being asked, Can I have some treasure Cards? Can I go to DragonSpyre? Can you help me?

I only help my one friend as she does not beg. Everyone else does and does not know what "busy" means. I will help others if I have time. If I am busy I will say, "Not now. I am busy and don't keep on asking me or I will remove you."
My mother told me to only add peopl higher than level 30 unless I know them. I feel bed for the higher wizards but I still am annoyed and glad someone finally posted this.

Defender
Jul 13, 2009
FlipFredFredBurger wrote:
IamLezul wrote:

Ya I was helping my friend (who I kno in real life) on unicorn way (she just started playin) and I got dozens o friend requests, even though I am only level 35. I didn't want to fill up my list like that! (I already had to delete som ppl on my friend list so sry if it duznt list me as your friend anymore) it got so bad I took off all my gear and changed my title to hero of unicornway! After that I just looked like another novice and I got less requests... so if you r a high level wiz in wizard city just do that.

Amber Stormsong magus diviner, mooshu & arena
"Storm warning "

Survivor
Jun 01, 2010
My 10 yr old has dealt with this a lot. I have to wonder if these are brats belonging to my fellow americans. It's so obnoxious, this sense of entitlement. It never occurs to them to do a chore or just be polite?? My son has had sooo many kids beg him for help during battle. Then they delete and try to swear at him. They really expect someone in battle to FLEE, refill their Mana and help THEM??? really!? It would be nice if our computers had massive AI and would electrocute these guys a bit when begging is detected, lol! Seriously, this must be the same kids who idolize Snooki and every other reality tv dolt they see. And exercise must equal texting all night. Or they are severe game addicts who don't care what they say to get what they want. I say if you can't earn the money to buy stuff, go crack a book, decide on a major that will get you the career and income you need! I see a generation of profound whiners in the making!

We're lucky to have some real life friends and adults to play with on wizard. But it would be delightful if all the others would disappear. Deleting happens a lot.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
I have this same issue every time i am in the middle of fights i always have firends ask for help or ent to trade or gift for them i always say no i;m sorry i dont give please stop asking 2 mnutes later they do it again and again i have gifting trade and ports off because of these kind of people and it is annorying now

Survivor
Sep 04, 2008
I know how you Guys feel. It will probably happen to every subscriber, to everyone who finishes Wizard City. Yes, it happened to my Level 16(!) Character! I went to Wizard City, and I got one or two Friend requests from some level 10 Wizards. Okay, I thought, they're level 10, not that far from me, I'll add them. But they bugged me out of the Spiral! Every time I went back to Krokotopia, someone teleported to me, and ran off! After I deleted them, that didn't happen anymore, but as soon as you go back to Wizard City someone wants to be your Friend , and it starts all over. So I generally won't be friends with people who beg me to be their friends.

-Jessica Starrider (26)
and Haley Moonwhisper (20,now)

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
I think most people have experienced this problem - no matter what game we are on. The issue, as I see it, is that many children (it's in those that I mostly see this behaviour) are more or less "trained" by tired parents that consistent begging for something will sooner or later result in that something being granted. In other words; "Even if they say 'no' six time, they will sooner or later say 'yes'." - and they apply that same logic to random strangers.

It also falls under the even more puzzling conundrum of people, after being denied repeatedly, will break into insults and verbal (and, at times in real life, phsyical) assault to get their way - or to "punish" you for not being their private slave and/or money disposer. The fact that a tiny few people cave to insane demands (such as gifting a completely random person a mount and a house of their choice) only encourages the beggars to continue their obnoxious behaviour.

I've also experienced some people who would literally not understand if someone was unable to help them - either because the person requesting help was in an area that could not be teleported to (such as the solo-boss fights here and there through the Spiral), or if the person being requested for help was busy with something else. I've even seen some people demanding that people would leave a duel circle so they could join the fight for an easy kill.

But, it is probably linked to the fact that we all have a veil of anonymity around us on the internet. There's no actual reprecussions of being nasty, annoying and demanding online, unlike in real life (where, say, bugging someone for money might land you in serious trouble), and thus people think that they have no reason to behave as sane human beings.

That, or we just show our true selfs when we are online. Food for thought, eh?

To sum up for those who don't want to read "zomg wall of txt lol!": Treat others with respect, and accept if they refuse your request. Life is too short to get your knickers in a bunch over it.

Survivor
Oct 07, 2008
I love this topic, everybody goes around and asking you to gift them an item
begging it!

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
Firefrog16 wrote:
I agree with this post. I dont normally help out because i am usually busy at the moment. My friend asked for help, I said not now, then he kept saying "PLZ" "pretty plz with cherry on top" Then after a whole 5 minutes of saying no, he said "you never help out, your not a good friend" I told him I was coming. I finished what iw as doing and went to help him, but then he started to be rude and I was talking to a friend and the guy i was helping out kept saying "go in!" waiting for me to go in. I helped him which was a BIG MISTAKE because he was begging and he was being rude.

i wouldnt help him again if he was being that rude and ungrateful. i no i wouldnt.

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
dreaming888 wrote:
My 10 yr old has dealt with this a lot. I have to wonder if these are brats belonging to my fellow americans. It's so obnoxious, this sense of entitlement. It never occurs to them to do a chore or just be polite?? My son has had sooo many kids beg him for help during battle. Then they delete and try to swear at him. They really expect someone in battle to FLEE, refill their Mana and help THEM??? really!? It would be nice if our computers had massive AI and would electrocute these guys a bit when begging is detected, lol! Seriously, this must be the same kids who idolize Snooki and every other reality tv dolt they see. And exercise must equal texting all night. Or they are severe game addicts who don't care what they say to get what they want. I say if you can't earn the money to buy stuff, go crack a book, decide on a major that will get you the career and income you need! I see a generation of profound whiners in the making!

We're lucky to have some real life friends and adults to play with on wizard. But it would be delightful if all the others would disappear. Deleting happens a lot.

i get what your saying, but does it really matter if there american or not? i'm not saying that your anything bad or stuff like that, but it sounds when you asked if there fellow americans. you sound as if americans cant do anything like that. which is so wrong btw. i hope you get the meaning of what i am trying to say and i also hope that i havent offended you in any way. i dont mean to imply anything about you. (pls dont be offended )

Survivor
Feb 16, 2009
I could not have said it better than myself, Bookshelvings.

Lenora SkyWhisper
Level 42
"Myth rules Storm Drools"

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
It is annoying when i go to the commons to sell some of my stuff that is no trade and i get a ton of requests. I do have my friend requests off though. Not many of my friends beg me for stuff without good reason. <---- (i say this because i gifted a brother a mount but not the sister so she was a bit mad ) anyway, to my good friends, i do gift at certain times but I dont usually have that many crowns or gold. As for quest helping, i dont egt a lot of begging but sometimes its a a bit annoying when a person asks for help then again 5 seconds later.

Go farm a boss for gold or wait for money. <---(i cant get a job cause i to young)

Historian
May 15, 2009
I truly know how you feel, i myself have a theurgist so i can tell you it is a lot worse for them then any other school
theurgists are treated horribly
we are screamed at by others, who when they die DEMAND us to heal and shield them

i try my best, but it apparently isn't good enough for them,
i hate hate hate HATE it!
i have had to delete several friends because of this
but not before i told them off
that i am not ANYONE'S servant, i do not heal on command.
if i want to heal them and i have the pips i will try!
i mean seriously, does anyone else get why i get so mad at students
( especially the arrogant lower level ones)
who are they so rude to me??

it hurts my feelings

Survivor
Jan 17, 2010
It isn't special to this game. No need to ride high horses people. Same thing happens in every MMO out there. The difference is this game gives you the complete tools to not deal with it. Delete or Ignore all you want. While I understand the frustration, trust me in saying it will never stop and it's best not to let such a minor annoyance take away from your experience.

Brian Boomslinger - Legendary Diviner

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
You know what this is so right. Even one of my best friends who was a noob sadly was so friendly to me we were talking then he was like can you help me in the vault of ice? I was like no dude you used me ugh and i deleted him. Oh and also this is a little bit off topic but, if people ask you to gift them something why do they try? They think some random person is gonna be like Sure dude! Ugh frusturating

Survivor
Sep 04, 2010
I had stepped away for a couple of minutes and when I returned someone had been trying to get me to add me as a friend. When I didn't respond, she reported me! That's just wrong. Anyone know if there is something I could do about that?

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
- I take no random friend requests.
- I refuse to group with anyone who allows random ports into battle from a so called 'friend'.
- Brats, obnoxious kids, foul mouthed players, and other unacceptable behavior gets you on my ignore/black list.
- Beggars are shown the door

On the flip side of that:
- If you group with me, and we have a pleasant, fun time... I will friend you.
- If you text me and ask if its ok to visit, I appreciate it.
- If you need help and ask politely, I come.

If you were on my friend's list and suddenly discover I have removed you, review your behavior patterns. If you don't change, you likely will meet others who have the same policy as mine.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
Kage800 wrote:
I had stepped away for a couple of minutes and when I returned someone had been trying to get me to add me as a friend. When I didn't respond, she reported me! That's just wrong. Anyone know if there is something I could do about that?

KI has a policy that if you frivolously report someone (for example: you refuse to friend someone and they report you) they risk the same consequences as someone who has broken any other KI game rule.

Chat logs are kept and reports are reviewed.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I try to stay away from WC as much as possible but sometimes I am curious how many noobs try to be my friend while I am there and I decline all them for the simple reason that and most of the time it is non-chats also that I decline because they port in on me without asking or they just yell out Help without saying what they need help with. I have ported to many friends that needed my help because they yelled HELP and it was something stupid or something that they could handle alone or that they had three other people with them. Before I port in on someone I first look at where they are and then ask if they need help or if they just want to talk.