Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best and Worse School Combos?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
Opinions please!

What are the best primary/secondary combinations? And what are the worse?

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
Moondragon007 wrote:
Opinions please!

BEST:
Death/storm-feint + storm attack = your finished
Life/death-good health
myth/balance-it may seem a little weird for this combo but its good because myth foes kinda go crazy with storm shields and well only tower can stop balance
Fire/storm-great damage
life/ice-good to stay alive(mainly good for pvp)
balance/death-judgement + feint well = you know
Ice/storm-good defense and attack

Well there IS no real worst combo if you have the right stragety.

Delver
May 04, 2009
I have five wizards, but my two favorite are:

Life with Storm,
and Storm with Death.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Life with ice and death= good healing good defense against balance and feint for epic damage
ice/ death/life= same here lol

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
Life/Fire is working out well for me. In DS I know I will need a little more attacking drama than the LifeBlade/Lifetrap/Centaur combo that life provides. Guidance also offsets the one weakness of fire - high fizzle rate.

Life/Storm also works out well because Life's Guidance Spell (+10% accuracy) can counter balance Storm's weakness of having a high fizzle rate.

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
Moondragon007 wrote:
Opinions please!

This is a combo that I think would be good for PVP:
Primary: Death
Secondary: Life
Third: Myth

Lots of people shield from Death these days, so an unexpected earthquake followed by wraith would be good. Then you could heal yourself with sprite if you're hurt. This does cost a lot of pips, but it hurts with a Time of the legend, myth trap, death blade, death trap, feint, curse, and if you want some treasure blades and cards.
~Christopher Titanbringer, Level 35 Balance Wizard

Explorer
Apr 04, 2010
I would say, Life, Death and Ice aswell. With Life, you get AMASING healing power, with Death, you get Feint witch ups your damage by 70% and with Ice, you cut the damage for EVERY school in half! I havent done it yet myself, but I will soon

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
I'd have to say that the worse secondary schools are Balance and Myth primarily because you are not able to learn the spells that makes these schools special when taken as a primary school (i.e., shields, blades, judgement for Balance, minions for Myth).

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Original poster, I'm confused, do you mean the spells from other schools that require training points, or what sort of wizard you should hang with to cover your weaknesses?

For the first question, my opinion(s) are below:

It has been my observation that as the percentage power pips goes up as you increase in level and get items that give you power pips, using a two or more pip spell from another school has a bigger and bigger 'penalty' of not not being able to take advantage of power pips. I am regretting ever training up Storm, because without a Storm blade I just can't do what I can do with Death Blade and Wraith or Scarecrow. Even if I try to carry Element Blade, I have to carry 'enough' to make it work, and that is space that can be used by other cards like Curse, Feint, Death Trap, Sacrifice, Poison to pop Death Shields and the one I really need, Prism.

I suppose I should be thankful that Storm got me passed some difficult places, but now its a waste of training points. But yes on the way up very handy. It was fun pulling out Kraken now and then but now I don't. Why does it have to be this way?

So In my opinion you are better off abandoning the idea of a 'second school' and instead training up to that special zero or one pip card in a particular school.

For Life that would be Sprite, it heals more per pip than Pixie does, but you have to use it before the battle ends. The Imp and Leprechaun cards you get along the way are great 'closer' spells for lower level wizards, not likely to fizzle when you need to finish a battle, and before you get a higher level wand.

For Myth, honestly I don't see any worthwhile 0 or 1 pip card. You would have to take Myth all the way up to 6 pip Earthquake to get something you could use, and that would be in PvP and some instances of a shield. If you really have a hankering for Myth (assuming its not your school), get some Gobbler Treasure cards at the Bazaar, funnier than heck to cast in a battle and 375 damage for three pips.

For Death, Feint. Honestly, I'm Death and I can't see why anyone would want the other Death spells under or over Feint without Death Blade, they are just too weak without it. Start training in another school, then at some point resign yourself to having to save up a bunch of training points to get Feint. No idea if Storm likes to use Feint, not sure if they can handle the extra damage inflicted.

For Fire, I don't see any zero or one pip but I suppose Fire Elf could be useful, it could be used to take and keep off Tower Shield. Fire Elf also does a lot of damage for two pips.

For Ice, it would be Tower Shield, the only protection against the Judgment spell in PvP.

For Storm, only Storm Trap, which has to be used with Storm spells, or if you are Myth there is a trick using Myth's prism. What was nice about the other Storm spells is they either hit hard, or fizzle and you got more pips for the next round, especially Lightening Bats at lower levels.

For Balance, you will want to get either Elemental or Spirit Blades and Traps from Niles that match your school. Note that you do NOT need to 'train up' to get these, just get to the Krokosphinx. You do not want to pass these up. Weakness would be spell you train up to in Balance; its zero pips and reduces the strength of an enemies spell. Good if you are waiting for pips to build up. Weakness is near useless if the monster casts any of the various Elf spells. You do not want to cast Weakness at the beginning of a PvE battle when the monster is likely to cast a one pip spell, save it for later.

When you are a mid level wizard, having spells in the same side of Ravenwood can be useful once you get the three blades; you can get a boost on those spells. That is (Life, Death, Myth) or (Storm, Fire, Ice). If you are Life or Death, you can use that Gobbler card, and never train up Myth. There is also a pet, Fire Salamander, that is dropped by the last boss in the Pyramid that gives a Myth card at baby just like the Gobbler card. Then use it with Spirit Blade.

But don't forget the other spells, the ones sold by Mildred Farseer, Mortis, Sabrina, Croaky, and the ones above the Secret Shop.

Personally I do not use a single spell from Mortis or Croaky. Minions are just too unpredictable, they hit Feint when you least expect it. On my Life character the Life minion has been known to occasionally heal me instead of herself or hit the Life Trap I just cast with her Imp spell. Wouldn't she be much more useful if she dished out Life Blade? And concerning Mortis spells, why do I want a monster to hit my team members instead of me, Death, when I can get all the health back with a good hit? I want take the hits so they don't and can concentrate on hitting.

Sabrina is good for plugging a missing hole in your shields. For example, I am Death, so I get Death Shield and a combo Myth and Life Shield. I trained up Storm, so I got a Fire and Ice. So I am missing Storm. This can be cured by either an amulet or by getting the Storm Shield. But I still do not have any protection against Balance. At that is the problem and why I wish I trained up Ice. Sad thing is, I originally did and then did a retrain, turns out I had it right the first time! Doh!

Quench can come in handy at Brisk Breeze tower and Warehouse but psst there are some one pip special Quench Treasure Cards at the Bazaar, just equip them when you get to the last boss.

I trained Reshuffle, but then I found out about enchanted Treasure Cards and they seem to solve the problem I had, which is not having any good hit spells. Search on Youtube, someone made a great video on how to make them. You can only enchant certain spells and it hard to put the rules into words. Just remember to restock your treasure card area after a battle if you used some.

Defender
Jul 28, 2009
i have to say i think storm+fire= good at damage
myth+life= good health
death+ice= kinda weak thats how i think the schools are

Wizard101 #1 Fan,

Cole Stormspear :D :-)

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Preacher7719 wrote:
I'd have to say that the worse secondary schools are Balance and Myth primarily because you are not able to learn the spells that makes these schools special when taken as a primary school (i.e., shields, blades, judgement for Balance, minions for Myth).

Indeed, Myth is one school that would be really awkward using as a secondary. It does not have anything useful for players who are not myth. It isn't even worth training up to the shield. And reaching for minotaur or earthquake for your deck is just asking for an empty pip bank. Not a very good way to handle things.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2010
Worst combinations are the ones like fire/storm, ice/life and obviously anything with balance or myth as 2nd. The first 2 are redundant and a waste of pips, the latter have no use.

Defender
Dec 17, 2008
Just a little tip to everyone. When you get higher levels, you tend to stop using your secondary school's attack spells because they waste your power pips. So, while it may seem like a good idea to choose life Primary with Storm Secondary, it's turns out it's not worth it in the end. Trust me.

When thinking of a secondary school, look at the school's non-attack spells and see if you might find any of them useful. Spells like healing spells from the life school, tower shield from ice school, and feint from the death school are ones that people find the most useful.

For Storm, I would suggest Ice and Death. Ice is really helpful because the tower shields help make up for your low health and death's feint makes your strong attacks even stronger! A 70% boost is great for any school though!

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
It is always, always, ALWAYS inadvisable to select Secondary Schools in the same Tri-set (Elemental and Spiritual). This is because it will require less of a variety of Shields to block all your Schools. Balance should avoid getting an Elemental Secondary, as they can already attack with those Schools with SpectralBlast and Hydra.

Your Seconday School should always complement and contrast to your Primary School. For example, a Storm Wizard should take up Life or Death as a Secondary, due to the contrast in accuracy and School Focus (Storm concentrates on killing, while Life and Death focus more on surviving).

Also, there is a School that is inadvisable as a Secondary school. This is Myth. The reason for this is: any other school will give you at least a sample of their Focus: Storm's strength, Life's Heal Spells, Ice's Shields, Fire's DoT Spells, Balance's combat alteration, and Death's Drain Spells. Myth's Focus is Minions, which are not available to non-Conjurers.

But maybe you're not into the whole "Secondary School" thing. Fine! Perfectly fine; that's how I am. If that is the case, you should select a Spell you want in a School (maybe Feint, or TowerShield, or SpiritArmor, or Weakness, or whatever) and put Training Points into that School until you have it; then, move on to the next School and Spell. This is where spending Training Points in Myth is reasonable: working toward EtherShield (block Life and Death), Humongofrog (Spiritual AoE), Minotaur (double hit), or Earthquake (remove Shields and Blades) is perfectly acceptable.

I think the best combo is:
Balance as Primary
Death to Feint*
Ice to TowerShield*
Life to Satyr*
Fire to FireElf*
Storm to Kraken*
Myth to Earthquake*

*Not all of these can be used simultaneously, so choose wisely. I favor the Life, Ice, and Death.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2010
well, from my personal experience, life is my favorite primary. and i think that storm is a perfect secondary, because life has few attacks, and storm has amazing attacks. so yeah. they complete each other. thats just my opinion though :D

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
I would say that if your a storm, death would be great. With feint you get +100% damage and then a storm attack, (try this with storm lord) :D :D AWESOME damage. You: :D 8) . ENEMY: :(

If your life, i would say balance and fire or just fire.

DustinHalkWeilder level 32 Magus life wiz
and, dustindiomandshard lvl 8 storm

Survivor
Feb 05, 2010
Im Fire and i use my training points on myth :-o cuz not many people sheild myth!!

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
matvince90 wrote:
Just a little tip to everyone. When you get higher levels, you tend to stop using your secondary school's attack spells because they waste your power pips. So, while it may seem like a good idea to choose life Primary with Storm Secondary, it's turns out it's not worth it in the end. Trust me.

When thinking of a secondary school, look at the school's non-attack spells and see if you might find any of them useful. Spells like healing spells from the life school, tower shield from ice school, and feint from the death school are ones that people find the most useful.

For Storm, I would suggest Ice and Death. Ice is really helpful because the tower shields help make up for your low health and death's feint makes your strong attacks even stronger! A 70% boost is great for any school though!

In most cases, I would agree with you. The storm suggestion is very good, too except I am taking mine up life and then death because I play solo so the extra healing is needed occasionally.

Ice-storm: Storm bat and shark are a lot more powerful than ice has available at that time. So with clothes crafted that boosts both ice and storm magic it's a good short term investment. Plus, with sun schools ice kraken mutate card, it's a good long term investment for when I get to celestia.

Balance-anything: I was using balance with a side of life and this is probably one of the better support set ups, I usually solo so I bought back all my training points and went the death route. this was made painfully clear when i had to fight the gobbler prince with weak life spells.

Now I have banshee, vampire, locust swarm, and scorpion to use as effective attacks. Plus with the deep water amulet and my krokotillian pet, I can use the extra shark to one shot minions or hold onto it and with balance blade + elemental traps I can one shot a boss. Plus with death attacks receiving a boost when attacking life and balance and having three blades (coming soon!, I only have balance blade now) I can still see having vampire in the deck for a while. Skeleton pirate and wraith, I don't plan on using.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Moondragon007 wrote:
Opinions please!

There are a lot of variables here. Are you building a character to PvP or PvE? Really, your primary is just a personal choice. I choose my secondaries (I always combine) based on the strategy I assess for what I want the player to do. For instance, while feint is useful during certain stages of the game, I almost never use it by the time I get to DS. Therefore, I generally opt for an amulet or treasure cards for the instances when its really useful. Unless, of course, I've got a primary where having death school spells (cause you need to train the 6 before you get to feint) is really useful such as life or balance. If I was building the character for PvP, however, I may use the feint more and it would therefore be useful to learn it.

I confess that I love tower shield. I train up to tower shield with almost every character I play. Some people prefer amulets or treasure cards, but I like to have the option of combining standard tower with amulets and treasure cards. That's really just a personal preference though because my first character was ice and I tend to be more defensive in both personality and strategy. I mostly play PvE and I like to be able to survive several rounds to determine the pattern of enemy AI behavior. Some people prefer the idea of "the best defense is a good offense" and as such prefer all boosts all the time. In my opinion, that's fine until unstoppable force meets immovable object.

Perhaps I'm just over-thinking this post. Do you have anything specific in mind that you are trying to accomplish? On the worst combinations, training anything that doesn't either play to your inherent class strengths or mitigate inherent class weaknesses is a bad combination.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2010
well my favorite is the balence/life combo, the balence school doesent really heal well and cant bring a defeated player back,(wich is kinda odd since balence players are team players suposedly,so you think they could reserect). it is really funny to use blackmantle on an oppenent and then heal up to almost full health when he hits you hard.

Explorer
Oct 22, 2009
It all depends.

If you are like me and build for PVP, I don't have a true secondary school for attacks.

I use ice to tower, and get all my other shields for all schools. After level 25, your power pips take over and it is almost a waste to use them on your secondary school.

It has worked well for me, as all my characters have commander gear with that strategy.

For Questing, the strategy may be different, but I treat questing battles as a PVP match anyways.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2010
Moondragon007 wrote:
Opinions please!

life and death go with pretty much anything :-P

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
Storm: POWER+ DEATH: Feint=POWER+ Ice=Tower shield=DEFENCE FROM BOSSES

You---> :( ( I got pulled)
Monster-> ( thinks he owns)
You---> 8) : (Feint)
MOnster-> ( Uh-oh)
You---> ( Tower shield)
monster ( Helephants)
You---> ( Triton)
Monster-->

About 1500+ damage!

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009

i recomend not to do life and storm there a bad combonation ( Just in my opion )

Defender
Oct 09, 2010
*Sigh*
Should of read this before choosing a Secondary school...
Because I chose Storm as Secondary and Life as Primary.
I'm not going to rant about PVP, because I almost never play it.
But still, if you have a balanced amount of Primary and Secondary cards, the pips are worth it. :D