Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Wand Trick

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
Have you ever had problems with enemies constantly placing weakness and/or Tower Shield? Do you hate having to decide between burning off your buffs to eliminate the debuff and/or shield or just taking the decrease in damage? Well, I've got an easy solution. You probably carry around your class' wand, right? The problem with this is once you start getting buffs, your wand won't do you any good. Why? To use your wand, you'll have to waste a turn or burn your applied buffs. A much better option is to use a wand of your opposite element (life uses death, fire uses ice, etc.). So, let's assume you're a Diviner and you're using a Storm wand. You apply all your buffs, then uh-oh! The enemy uses a Tower shield. What are you going to do? Deal 75% of what you were previously going to deal, or use your wand to eliminate the shield? The problem is you're either going to have to waste your Pips or waste your buffs. Let's backtrack a little bit. Let's assume you're a Diviner and you're using a Myth wand. You apply all your buffs, then uh-oh! The enemy casts a Tower Shield. What are you going to do? Since your wand is Myth, all you have to do is use a free wand attack. Not only do you save your buffs, but you also gain another Pip. It's as easy as that.

Notes:

By wand, I mean wands, staves, and swords.

If you want to use the wand trick, you can use any wand you want. However, I suggest using a wand of your opposite element because when you're fighting enemies of your element, you can take out their shields that would render your attack useless assuming that you use Prisms.

For experienced players:

But what about fighting enemies of my opposite element? They shield against my attacks and my wand can't do anything to them! There are a few options here, all of which I will go over.

1) Carry around two wands; a wand of your opposite element and a wand of your element. Whenver you have to battle enemies of your opposite element, just switch wands. If you're Life, you won't have the above problem as of this time. I don't recall any Death enemies using Life Shield.
2) Buy the Rank 1 spell of your opposite element. You more than likely will have training points that you don't know what to do with. I bought Feint, Tower Shield, Spirit Blade, Spirit Trap, and Reshuffle with my Life Wizard, and I had 3 Training Points left over (the level 50 TP, Zeke's Grizzleheim TP, and Zeke's Dragonspyre TP). The advantage to this is you never have to change wands, and if you're a looks person, you can have a wand that matches your attire.
3) Keep Prisms of your opposite element in your deck. This is a little more expensive and potentially more time-consuming than the other methoods. Let's say you're a Theurgist and you're fighting a Life enemy. Your Death wand won't do you much good unless you have some Death Prisms. As we all know, you can't get class-specific spells unless you're that class at this time. The only way to get another class' Prism is to buy it as a treasure card or make it with a wizard that has it and trade it to the desired wizard. To trade Treasure Cards between wizards on the same account, make the Treasure Card with the wizard that can, make a wizard on another account, trade the treasure card to the wizard on the other account, log on as the wizard that you wish to recieve the card as, then have the wizard on your other account trade it to the desired wizard.

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
Any smart player already knows this stuff, but you seem to forget that Balance school can't do this stuff. No matter what wand Balance uses they will blow out their own blades and traps.

If you wanted to be completely weird and abstract you could imagine throwing in an Ice wizard with Steal Ward and a Storm wizard with Cleanse Charm. But seriously; if you had those two there is the Balance wizard really going to be the main attacker?...probably not.

Balance just gets the bad end of the deal in it all. Sure, if you time things right and were really patient you might get lucky now and then and not have anything mess up a Balance attack, but at higher levels, especially in Dragonspyre; good luck with that! Those creatures in DS are way too Weakness happy and the ice creatures LOVE their tower shields, it's almost impossible for Balance to have a clean attack there.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
oceandaydreamer wrote:
Any smart player already knows this stuff, but you seem to forget that Balance school can't do this stuff. No matter what wand Balance uses they will blow out their own blades and traps.

If you wanted to be completely weird and abstract you could imagine throwing in an Ice wizard with Steal Ward and a Storm wizard with Cleanse Charm. But seriously; if you had those two there is the Balance wizard really going to be the main attacker?...probably not.

Balance just gets the bad end of the deal in it all. Sure, if you time things right and were really patient you might get lucky now and then and not have anything mess up a Balance attack, but at higher levels, especially in Dragonspyre; good luck with that! Those creatures in DS are way too Weakness happy and the ice creatures LOVE their tower shields, it's almost impossible for Balance to have a clean attack there.

Hmm... I could have sworn I posted the thing about the Sorcerer's global buff problem. Oh well. Thanks for pointing that out.

The way you work around debuff/shield-happy enemies with your Sorcerer is wait until the last possible moment to place your buffs and traps, then hope that the enemy doesn't use a shield or debuff. Another way you could work around it is make Steal Ward and Cleanse Charm treasure cards and give them to your Sorcerer. However, you don't need to worry about Weakness if you have a significant power boost from equipment.

If every smart player already knows this, then how come I see very few people who actually do it? I've asked several people who have wands from different classes, and they've all said there's no reason for it.

To be successful with Cleanse Charm and Steal Ward, you have to set your deck up properly for each battle. I've seen many Diviners use Steal Charm with devastating effects. The way you do it is place all your buffs, then use Cleanse Charm the round before you attack. The same applies for Steal Ward.