Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

NEED HELP, BAD! can't decide secondary school

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 12, 2009
i started a new account with 6 new wizards. so far they are only studying in one school and i need help deciding a secondary for them. please post any advice you have for me. i have only 1 character that i'm for sure on. here are some ideas i'm throwing around:
ice/storm (i'm for sure with this one.)
storm/balance
balance/myth
life/ice
death/fire
fire/life
please post your advice thnx.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Believe it or not, most wizards can go for the same recipe that I'm going to suggest

Death: up to Feint. This is a mean trap at 70%, but use it wisely because it will simultaneously add a 30% trap on yourself.

Life: up to Satyr. If you don't want to go that far, or if you can already heal through your primary school, then possible to up to Sprite. It never hurts to have the ability to cast healing on your buddies.

Ice: up to Tower Shield. This shield will protect you again any attack and is the ONLY shield that shield you against the non-elemental attacks of Balance.

And while this is not a secondary school, you don't want to forget the blades and traps from Niles the Balance tree in Krokotopia.

Possibly grab a Reshuffle from the not-so-secret training person in Collossus Blvd. Put two of them in your deck and discard the first one you come across (this will allow you to continuously have the ability to reload your deck over and over again.

Some people say Balance up to Weakness, but personally don't find it worth the points it would take to get it (unless you just want personal gratification because you can hit them with one for a change)

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
ok i can help, start with forgetting about having a second school. Take a look into some spells that you like, and can possibly help with your primary school and pick those up. If you focus too much outside of your school it will weaken you too much.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I now have 3 wizards. Two which are grandmasters (Life and Balance). I have noticed as i got higher levels i didn't use my secondary school often.

I would suggest for balance training in death up to feint. The feint spell helps with judgement. It also helps if you do the same for Life. Also the spirit/elemental traps and blades you get from Niles at krokosphinx is a good addition to every wizard.

Right now I am working on a Fire wizard. I did not get feint for her because i felt it not beneficial with the damage over time spells. I did train up to Satyr in Life just to have some type of healing. Now I am training her in Ice in order to get Tower Shield, but will more than likely get all of the ice spells. (There are a lot of fire bosses.)

I do hope this advice has helped.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life
Hannah Earthbreaker Level 50 Balance
Hannah Summerglade Level 40 Fire

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
The best is to pick the opposite of your primary school.

Because if you have a storm wizard, (like me,) you should get myth because if you fight a storm enemy, storm would have a resist and myth would have a boost.

ice/fire
storm/myth
death/life
balance/any school

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
bigmac101 wrote:
The best is to pick the opposite of your primary school.

Because if you have a storm wizard, (like me,) you should get myth because if you fight a storm enemy, storm would have a resist and myth would have a boost.

ice/fire
storm/myth
death/life
balance/any school

There is no need to choose those schools based on the fact that your enemy get's boosts. Every school (except for Balance) gets a prism spell that converts the damage they do (from their school) to the opposing school type.

Prisms are a must have: they allow you to keep using your primary school's attack cards, which can take advantage of any power pips you accumulate, and convert the damage to the opposing school, i.e. Storm attack gets converted to Myth damage.

Things to keep in mind while using Prisms. They have to be cast on the target BEFORE you use your school's traps. Since the damage gets converted, a trap won't get triggered if it is placed before the prism. Also, if the target has put down a shield before your prism is cast on him, then his shield will protect him from the converted damage.

My trick to using Prisms is to buy them at the bazaar (usually 10 to 20 at a time) and FILL your sideboard with them. That way I can easily get a Prism WHENEVER I need one. This eliminates the problem of having to wait for one to appear in your hand.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
i would suggest going with a secondary school that you think has the best spells. ice is a defencive school, storm is a strong attack school, myth is good and it can remove sheilds.i have a balance wizard whos secondary school is ice becauce i thought since balance has alot of boost spells and some good attack spells like judgement and power nova.and ice is more on the defencive side.like i said it depends on what you think wiil be right for you.

Defender
Jun 29, 2009
superluther wrote:
I now have 3 wizards. Two which are grandmasters (Life and Balance). I have noticed as i got higher levels i didn't use my secondary school often.

I would suggest for balance training in death up to feint. The feint spell helps with judgement. It also helps if you do the same for Life. Also the spirit/elemental traps and blades you get from Niles at krokosphinx is a good addition to every wizard.

Right now I am working on a Fire wizard. I did not get feint for her because i felt it not beneficial with the damage over time spells. I did train up to Satyr in Life just to have some type of healing. Now I am training her in Ice in order to get Tower Shield, but will more than likely get all of the ice spells. (There are a lot of fire bosses.)

I do hope this advice has helped.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life
Hannah Earthbreaker Level 50 Balance
Hannah Summerglade Level 40 Fire

Great advice. As you level up your character, you will get more and more power pips. For this reason casting secondary school spells to hit with is unwise, because if you use power pips as regular pips you have just given the monsters a free tower shield by casting these "out of school" spells. Better to wait for that convert to bonus your hit. I have quite a few grand masters and am leaning in the direction of leaving my spell points unused just on the slim chance they create that new astral school. I am hoping they allow a 7th character to the accounts (hahaha) so I am not stuck deleting a grand to get a character in the new school(s) they create.

All my characters have the following:

1. Death up to feint (Level 26 or 7 spell points to get this spell). The benefit of this is that your secondary school has spells that bring life back while hitting (Ghoul and Vampire).

2. I use 1 point for the school related Nile's blades.

I leave the rest of the spell points unused for that possible new school. So for all my new characters I spend only a total of 8 spell points.

Possible additional choices could be

1. Ice up to the Tower Shield (level 16 or 5 spell points to get this spell) can be valuable in many circumstances and could be a consideration.

2. A sort of 25% shield is available from the balance school called Weakness (Level 8 or 3 spell points to get this spell). This spell is death to some schools with the lower percentage blades.

I do not use the spell points for the development of life up to Satyr, since I can usually find a Life friend to make me a few Satyr cards to put in my deck's sideboard so when I draw a card in battle I know I am drawing for health.

I have two grands in Life, Balance, Death, Fire, Ice, and soon Storm and Myth (both these schools are around level 26 now and should be grands by the New Year).

Survivor
Oct 12, 2009
hi everyone i was just wondering what u thought about some of the ideas i had up on the original post. i didn't no if any1 had tryed these and could tell me if they worked well. but anywho, thnx 4 posting!