Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Single school curiosity

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 15, 2009
Hi all,

I'm rather curious, all wizards are able to choose two schools, their main school and their secondary school.

What I would like to know is - is it possible to complete the game without choosing a second school? Not using the training points? Only playing the game with your school of choice and the benefit of any equipment you happen to be wearing/carrying? Further to this question, would it be possible to solo the game under the same conditions? Has anyone done so? Which school would be best suited?

Lots of questions, I know and a thread that may well create some interesting discussion.

Yes, I am an adult. Yes, I have several wizards. And Yes, I am currently trying to solo the game on a single school wizard. She's a rather feisty little creature and has often had to chase little blue wisps through the various commons.

I have to say this is a great way of learning the strategy of the game and the use of the various cards. I used to think prisms were a total waste of time in any of my decks - until now. Prisms are awesome - when used correctly.

Share your thoughts with me? Is it possible to go the whole way without using my training points? I've collected nine training points so far. I've been defeated far too many times to count but I have to say my single school wizard is one of the most fun to play.

Have I lost my marbles? :-D

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
My balance wizard did not use his training points at all until he was in the second section of DS and he solo'd a great deal of the time. There were too many balance monsters with incredibly high resistances that made it mandatory for me to finally pick another school to minor in.

I ended up putting all the points in Fire and making up a second deck to switch out when I had to fight the balance monsters in DS.

Death is another school that can do this. He would have the added bonus of prisms when going up against Death monsters, and he can heal himself at the same time he attacks.

But realistically, other than Balance, it is worth putting points into another school to complement the shields you lack, even if you never use that school's attack cards.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Here's my two cents on strategy. Once you enter Colossus Blvd, do not you a wand from your school anymore (except when going up against a group of monsters who are weak to it and are likely to put up shields). Have a few wands in your backpack from different schools (my preference is balance because there is no balance shield). And I don't care if you have to buy it, get a wand with the +1 pip as soon as you reach a level to use it. That 2 pip startup advantage is immeasurable.

As far as prisms go, buy 10 to 20 prism treasure cards and fill your sideboard up with them (where you load up your treasure cards). That way, you will ALWAYS get one when you need it. And remember, you cast your prism BEFORE you cast your traps. If you cast your traps first, it will not be used because the damage type will have been converted by the prism.

Explorer
Feb 16, 2009
Of course, I ditched storm when a friend advised me to use only one school, so i ditched balance for my lvl 26 life and I'm going to ditch the other schools i picked out for my wizards. It helps a ton! My friend has all his wizards one school. It works out great, you can put more cards into your deck from your school. I really advise a lot of people to have only one school!

Explorer
Aug 18, 2009
life is also a very good solo school. But you must be patient, fights can take a very long time.

and as for as not using training points, somewhere shortly after level 30 i took all my fire spells (that was my secondary school) out of my deck. because the cost (burning a power pip for one pip) was not worth it to me.
one note: reshuffle. i kept 2 in my deck and kept my deck small, so i could work through a deck and get the spells i needed without worrying about running out of cards. (just remember to not discard BOTH reshuffles. that was a DOH! moment. i now keep one in my sideboard too.)

while i was not planing to solo, i was alone most of the time because of my schedule and when i can play, and i think i did quite well. but it was very nice on those occasions that someone else was there. it made it so much easier. and i feel confident saying that until the central spire, i did not encounter anything that i could not deal with alone.

anyway, whatever you choose to do, good luck.

Seth Jadeweaver ~Grand Master Theurge~

Explorer
Aug 18, 2009
sorry about a second post.

i just noticed something in the original post.
the way you have worded it implies that you may only chose to spend training points in one 'other' school for your secondary school. if this is what you understanding then you are wrong. you may spend those training points in multiple schools.

i'll use my life grand master for an example. after i reached GM i had several unspent training points, and i started looking around at what to spend them on. i finally decided to buy back what few i has spent in fire and spread them out in death, balance and ice. i got death up to feint, ice to tower shield, and a few useful balance spells.

i guess you could say that i have a masters degree in life, a bachelors degree in death and associate degrees in balance and ice.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2009
Snivel wrote:
sorry about a second post.

i just noticed something in the original post.
the way you have worded it implies that you may only chose to spend training points in one 'other' school for your secondary school. if this is what you understanding then you are wrong. you may spend those training points in multiple schools.

i guess you could say that i have a masters degree in life, a bachelors degree in death and associate degrees in balance and ice.

:) No, I know you can 'spend' your training points anywhere. My first wizard is a fully grown balance wizz with death to feint and life to sanctuary with a couple of other useful (to me) spells.

I like the way the game lets us choose what we want from where, makes for very individual wizards, much like life itself, really.

I have a new life wizz on a second account who is in an indecisive mode, as to will he or wont he spend his training points.

My little single school wizz is currently working Marylebone though, with the help of her sister wizz from another account she will complete the last of the crafting tasks today.

I used to play another mmorpg (or whatever they are called) - I have to say there is so much less nastiness amongst players of Wizard - Gratz, KI, for making a game that has a pleasant environment as well as being great fun to play!