Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Complaining and More Complaining

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
I imagine this post will upset some people and want to say I respect all opinions, even if they disagree with my own.

I’ve seen a great many people complaining on here regarding prices for various things, as example, mounts and second chance chests. While I understand the frustration, a part of me simply doesn’t understand. So many people complained about walking everywhere and many of the quests taking too long because of the back and forth walking required. KI gives us mounts, which you can buy with both gold and crowns and are OPTIONALl, the response, complaining from people about prices. Many people complain about one thing, get a solution, and then complain about the very solution they wanted in the first place. Understand it’s not mandatory to buy a mount to play the game. The prices are set and people are buying them. Can everyone afford one? No, but every paying member has the opportunity to earn one with gold over a period of time . A bunch of people complain about not getting good boss drops. KI gives us second chance chests. Again totally optional, and people complain because they don’t get what they want. What? Again why take the chance if you are going to complain. People farm bosses all the time to get what they want. This is a quick solution for the lazy who begged for it and what happens, more complaining about spending crowns. YOU ARE TAKING A CHANCE, LIVE WITH THE CHOICES!

I could go on with other things, but I hope you get the point. If you have choices and are mad at the choices you make, live with it. In life, like this game, you take chances. Some work out well and some do not. Live with your choices, because the complaining on these forums about things that are in your ability to control is really getting annoying.

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
You make very good points in your arguments, but think of it this way. Would you pay 10.00 for a chance to get a pack of bubble gum or 50.00 for a shoe lace? Of course you wouldn't. Crowns = real dollars, not game dollars. You are taking a chance to get something that is intangible. You can't take it home or do anything with it. It isn't the benefits that people are complaining about. I think most people appreciate the hard work that KI put into developing solutions for the problems. I don't even think they mind that they may have to pay crowns for some of those things. It's paying an extremely high amout of real cash for a piece of bubble gum.

Yes, the mounts are a wonderful tool, but spending (I think someone calculated the price of $50.00) 50.00 in this economy for a fake horse is ludicruous (sp). We are know that it cost to keep this game running. I have never heard anyone disagree with that, but many people are using this as their means of entertainment during rough times. I really believe that if KI adjusted the prices some that it would be acceptable to its customers.

So don't just think of it as gold vs crowns, but think of it as money out of your pocket. No, you don't have to have it to play, but at least make it tangible to reach.

I have a level 33 wizard. I am constantly helping others, I open every chest I come across, sell all unwanted items and battle a few extra mobs. I don't spend my gold friviously, maybe on a new deck of cards. My point is that I will be probably close to level 50 before I can afford to buy a permanet mount. Why would I need it than.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
SilverDragon - I agree with everything you said. As one of the very early members playing this game, I can not begin to tell you how many countless hours I've farmed for every single sword in MooShu BEFORE DragonSpyre was released. Some I received within 10 battles, some I received after 100 battles. Was I frustrated? Heck yes but the feeling of accomplishment and working hard for something was worth the aggravation. I felt as if I had earned it.

So please stop complaining, it's really annoying!

Julia SummerDreamer

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
Agreed, but I don't believe the mounts should be more expensive than the homes. that's my complaint.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
"I have a level 33 wizard. I am constantly helping others, I open every chest I come across, sell all unwanted items and battle a few extra mobs. I don't spend my gold friviously, maybe on a new deck of cards. My point is that I will be probably close to level 50 before I can afford to buy a permanet mount. Why would I need it than. "

You don't need a mount then. No one really needs a mount at all. Most of us leveled up to 50 without one. By the time you are level 46 you should have enough coins to buy a mount, even after a house, so crowns are not needed. Mounts are expensive crown-wise, because it is a one time purchase. Most people will not buy a second mount.

The comparison has been made of why would someone buy a shoelace for 50.00? Well, a mount in this game is equivlent to a car, and yes, most people have to save up for a car in real life too. The reward is much better if you honestly work for it. While I agree with the above poster about mounts being more expensive than houses, it would cause more harm to adjust prices now that houses have been out for awhile.

Complaints should be centered on what is actually broken with the game, in order to play it correctly. Just like in real life, if you don't like the price of something, state so with your wallet. If not enough wizards buy a certain crown item then KI will adjust. I would like a BMW, but complaining to them that their prices are too high doesn't solve anything. The solution is to save up.

It could be worse, what if the mounts were crowns only? I bought my mount with coins, coins I saved up for months. Investing that amount of coins is special. Just like the real world.

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
Although I do believe mounts are really overpriced (not so much with the in game gold, but the crowns price... $30.. 30 REAL dollars for a mount!) My biggest gripe is that there are MANY items that non crown players cannot get. I really dont see how its fair that a crown player can buy elixirs are get more gold, more exp, better health, etc etc... or, they can hire henchmen, get clothing stitched, etc. Subscribers are left in the dust... watching the crowns players get all these goodies.

EVERY item should be available for either crowns OR gold

Administrator
Certain new additions such as Henchmen & Elixirs allow players to shortcut the time it takes to complete tasks in Wizard101, therefore we sell these items only for Crowns as they allow players to complete the game faster.
Players who do not wish to buy Crowns are not penalized and can still complete the tasks and the game in the regular amount of time.

When we introduced mounts, we wanted to make sure they were accessible to players in different ways. Players who choose to spend money in the game can buy mounts with Crowns they've purchased. Players who choose to spend time in the game can buy mounts with Gold they've earned through quests and duels.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
Certain new additions such as Henchmen & Elixirs allow players to shortcut the time it takes to complete tasks in Wizard101, therefore we sell these items only for Crowns as they allow players to complete the game faster.
Players who do not wish to buy Crowns are not penalized and can still complete the tasks and the game in the regular amount of time.

When we introduced mounts, we wanted to make sure they were accessible to players in different ways. Players who choose to spend money in the game can buy mounts with Crowns they've purchased. Players who choose to spend time in the game can buy mounts with Gold they've earned through quests and duels.

wait.. I just responded to this in the other thread but I just thought of something else I want to add. Crowns players buy an area, this is theirs forever. They CAN afford for it to take longer. Subscribers , on the other hand, have a limited time and therefore should be allowed to speed up quests. They technically are "on the clock" and cant always afford the luxury of quests taking longer.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
sanmil0963 wrote:

My point is that I will be probably close to level 50 before I can afford to buy a permanet mount. Why would I need it than.

They are tradeable. If you make another wizard, he can use it.

Explorer
Sep 09, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:

As stated here and many other places, the way items are price structured
by the time non crown players can afford them the items are useless.

And a lot of "crown" items are way over priced for the value returned.

Yes, a lot of adults (without children) who can afford crowns play, but
the vast population are juniors, which all the "new" improvments that
cost REAL money no matter how you look at it, simply frustrates and
make these young wizards unhappy. Just get in the game and see people
begging and whining. I give Yea for the attempt and Boo for the implimentations.

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
Again choices, choices, choices. Sometimes one needs to think outside of the box. I use my GM and others wizards to feed things to a specific wizard. You also have to make, wait for it....... choices. Do you want a house? A mount? Clothes? Pets? Can you get them all at once? Probably not. Over time? Absolutely. Since the introduction of mounts, I have bought two mounts on sale and a house. I worked hard for these things and got a pet in the process of farming and going through the game. I payed gold for these items and I am still working towards some other things. Everything is pretty much interchangeable with my wizards so they all have access to the mounts. Sometimes I am forced to sacrifice one thing for another. As an example I passed on a new deck, wand, hat, robe, ring and knife so I could get the mount. I made a choice. The system is not meant to be easy. You have to work smart and hard to get things and its near impossible to have it all unless you have a ton of money. I don't have alot of money like most people, but I understand what I have to do make it happen for me,then I go out and do it rather than complain about it.

If you have only one wizard sure its certainly harder, but it can be done. It takes time, patience, determination, and an understanding of how to best complete your goal. Remember this game, like life, the same principle, you get out of it, what you put into it. I play a lot and put a lot of time into getting the things I want and need. I reap the rewards of my actions.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
I really like the new changes and I am happy to be able to participate such as I can. (I subscribe and have few crowns.) I think it's fine for KI to provide things that are available for crowns only, and to me the fact that they're available for gold at all is a very nice gesture on their part. Yes, mounts are expensive, but other things such as Guardian clothing seems not to be available at all. I don't do PvP so I don't know how much these crowns-only items might unbalance that part of the game, but for the rest of the game I think it's nice that those things are available at all. I made it to level 50 without any of that stuff, and in fact that's the point. You can get there by work or by paying, and to me the "work" is all about playing the game you're here to play, so why be unhappy about that?

My only disappointment, and it is a minor one, is that I can't buy a mount with crowns and then gift it. I've spent a lot of time playing this game and I would've liked to be able to translate some of my accumulated winnings into presents for my nieces. Oh well- can't have everything!

Much more importantly, I'm happy to see KI create more means for them to get paid for their work. I've played many games that died because they didn't get enough support, and if these changes can help keep the game alive, I'm totally in favor.

Thanks again for all your work, KI! I appreciate it.

Administrator
unclejame wrote:

My only disappointment, and it is a minor one, is that I can't buy a mount with crowns and then gift it. I've spent a lot of time playing this game and I would've liked to be able to translate some of my accumulated winnings into presents for my nieces. Oh well- can't have everything!

In October we introduced Gifting to the Spiral. Players can choose to purchase an item from a shopkeeper and Gift that item to another player on their Friends list. Not all items are giftable, and only items purchased with Crowns (not gold) can be gifted.

This Gift giving feature is controlled through Parental Controls.
Players over the age of 18 will be able to send Gifts to any other player on their Friends list.
Players under the age of 18 will need to enable this feature through the Parental Controls on their account.

Next time you're shopping with Crowns, look for the Gifting option!

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Sep 11, 2009
I <3 my mount ;-D. paid for the most expensive one. makes a huge difference for me.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2009
StaticFX wrote:
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:

wait.. I just responded to this in the other thread but I just thought of something else I want to add. Crowns players buy an area, this is theirs forever. They CAN afford for it to take longer. Subscribers , on the other hand, have a limited time and therefore should be allowed to speed up quests. They technically are "on the clock" and cant always afford the luxury of quests taking longer.

Yes I too answered the Professors comment on another post.
Her answer didn't seem logical to me either until I thought about the REAL reason behind the CROWNS ONLY stuff. The new additions were implemented to "encourage" ALL players, Crown and Subscribers, to spend more money! What other reason would there be to making some new additions CROWNS ONLY? Makes sense now........I have never seen a game that gives LESS to their subscribers.
Professor, your words may sway some children to believe you are doing what is in their best interest but the adults (players and parents of players) are the ones who pay, so please stop trying to insult our intelligence.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
My reply here was moderated out. We'll see if it makes it this time since I made a copy of it.

ProfessorGreyrose wrote:

Maybe you are just explaining it incorrectly, but if you honestly believe that mounts do not "shortcut the time it takes to complete tasks in Wizard101" then you need to retire.

There are sooooooo many tasks that have us going from point A (quest origination) to point B (quest designation) and back again over considerable distances that mounts are the only way to shortcut the time.

Yes, I know you can put down a marker, but why do the markers cost 20% of your maximum mana? That's a big hit in mana. Why isn't putting down a marker a fixed amount? It's rediculous.

As far as Henchman are concerned, I've heard plenty of times from players that henchman are not minions and they won't do anything for your wizard (such as healing from a Life, or even giving shields onto your wizard). Yet I've heard nothing from the staff on the matter.

I'm sorry, but henchman is the wrong term. If it is costing me real money to hire someone for assistance, then they are hirelings. And hirelings that won't assist ME (heal or shield) or take any sort of direction (i.e., attack this guy first) would be fired almost immediately. If I were playing with another real player, we would coordinate our attacks, help each other with defense, and yes, if possible, heal each other. "Henchman" are even worse than minions in that regard. You need to better their AI in that regards before they ever become equal to the value of their cost.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Gamma wrote:
unclejame wrote:

In October we introduced Gifting to the Spiral. Players can choose to purchase an item from a shopkeeper and Gift that item to another player on their Friends list. Not all items are giftable, and only items purchased with Crowns (not gold) can be gifted.

Yep, I misspoke, sorry: I meant to say that I'm bummed that I can't gift mounts purchased with GOLD, not crowns.

It was nice to have something new to spend money on, but now I have a mount, so it's back to... playing less and less. As I said, I played for awhile thinking that if I saved up 100,000 gold, I could buy mounts for my nieces, but I eventually discovered I was wrong about that. So... so much for having a reason to play!

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
artistd10353 wrote:
StaticFX wrote:
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:

Yes I too answered the Professors comment on another post.
Her answer didn't seem logical to me either until I thought about the REAL reason behind the CROWNS ONLY stuff. The new additions were implemented to "encourage" ALL players, Crown and Subscribers, to spend more money! What other reason would there be to making some new additions CROWNS ONLY? Makes sense now........I have never seen a game that gives LESS to their subscribers.
Professor, your words may sway some children to believe you are doing what is in their best interest but the adults (players and parents of players) are the ones who pay, so please stop trying to insult our intelligence.

I find this comment to be on the funny side. I had to take the time to defend the professor. I am an adult like you. I play this game with my daughter. I got my first GM without all of the crown stuff. Your kids can also play the game without all the crown stuff. It's OPTIONAL. I am a subscriber and I also buy crowns to buy stuff here and there. Mounts included. Sure it's intangible. But I find it's far cheaper than going out to a bar (myself) or buying the latest console game that won't be played with after a couple of weeks(my daughter).

I think your insulting everyone else's intelligence if you just realized that KI needs to make money like everyone else does. Employees have to be paid. Servers have to be maintained. Bandwidth has to be paid for. I can keep going on but being an adult you should already know this. As with anything in life, if I like something I will spend my hard earned money on it.

If you think it takes too long to go back and forth then by all means buy a mount. Otherwise play the game as it is instead of trying to have the game changed. Sometimes when it gets tedious, I step away and do something else.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
silverdragonn wrote:
I imagine this post will upset some people and want to say I respect all opinions, even if they disagree with my own.

I’ve seen a great many people complaining on here regarding prices for various things, as example, mounts and second chance chests. While I understand the frustration, a part of me simply doesn’t understand. So many people complained about walking everywhere and many of the quests taking too long because of the back and forth walking required. KI gives us mounts, which you can buy with both gold and crowns and are OPTIONALl, the response, complaining from people about prices. Many people complain about one thing, get a solution, and then complain about the very solution they wanted in the first place. Understand it’s not mandatory to buy a mount to play the game. The prices are set and people are buying them. Can everyone afford one? No, but every paying member has the opportunity to earn one with gold over a period of time . A bunch of people complain about not getting good boss drops. KI gives us second chance chests. Again totally optional, and people complain because they don’t get what they want. What? Again why take the chance if you are going to complain. People farm bosses all the time to get what they want. This is a quick solution for the lazy who begged for it and what happens, more complaining about spending crowns. YOU ARE TAKING A CHANCE, LIVE WITH THE CHOICES!

I could go on with other things, but I hope you get the point. If you have choices and are mad at the choices you make, live with it. In life, like this game, you take chances. Some work out well and some do not. Live with your choices, because the complaining on these forums about things that are in your ability to control is really getting annoying.

I understand that us complainers can get annoying to listen to, which you have stated clearly. However, i feel we have good reasons to complain. My parents payed 60 dollars for me to enjoy this game and get to lvl 50. Now that i am a 50, i have no "actuall" reason to buy crowns. Everyone was excited for the realease of mounts, right? People that can and cant afford crowns. So when we that cant afford them find out that it is 90 thousand gold for a mount, well, you see why we are upset. Think about it, how much is REALLY 90 thousand gold? A lot of money. Yes, and who is able to come up with that? See, a "little" hard work is not really realistic. 90 thousand gold is a lot to come up with. Think, you get 10 thousand gold. Whoo hoo, almost there! Hah, you'd think! Oooh yah! Now i "only" need 80 thousand more! ...........wait a minute. See, i thought i could do it. I got about 3 thousand and said: "Hey, this is going to be easy!" Yes, thats me acting like it could take two days. I realised i was being silly. That i'd go koo-koo and end up crazing myself up. I knew that its no use. So guess what? I didnt "give up". I simply said: "This is too hard to manage." I'm not "a giver upper". I just know when something is too good to be true. I rightfully have a reason to be upset. If you dont want to listen, dont. But i know there are tons of people who 100% agree with me.

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
IamLezul wrote:
I understand that us complainers can get annoying to listen to, which you have stated clearly. However, i feel we have good reasons to complain. My parents payed 60 dollars for me to enjoy this game and get to lvl 50. Now that i am a 50, i have no "actuall" reason to buy crowns. Everyone was excited for the realease of mounts, right? People that can and cant afford crowns. So when we that cant afford them find out that it is 90 thousand gold for a mount, well, you see why we are upset. Think about it, how much is REALLY 90 thousand gold? A lot of money. Yes, and who is able to come up with that? See, a "little" hard work is not really realistic. 90 thousand gold is a lot to come up with. Think, you get 10 thousand gold. Whoo hoo, almost there! Hah, you'd think! Oooh yah! Now i "only" need 80 thousand more! ...........wait a minute. See, i thought i could do it. I got about 3 thousand and said: "Hey, this is going to be easy!" Yes, thats me acting like it could take two days. I realised i was being silly. That i'd go koo-koo and end up crazing myself up. I knew that its no use. So guess what? I didnt "give up". I simply said: "This is too hard to manage." I'm not "a giver upper". I just know when something is too good to be true. I rightfully have a reason to be upset. If you dont want to listen, dont. But i know there are tons of people who 100% agree with me.

And thank you for so perfectly proving my point. You are level 50. You can farm and get money much sooner than you think and have access to just about everywhere with your level. Its not crowns only, but gold too with which you can buy a mount. I had 7,884 gold when mounts came out. I ran dungeons and farmed like crazy, and in just 4 days I had enough to buy a mount. I didn't play 24/7, I just did dungeons and sold everything I got. 4 days later I had a mount. No special tricks, just hard work and no complaining, I was doing. Many people complain becuase they are lazy and give up when things seem too hard. Its a characteristic of many people of our society. Again you, like everyone else has a choice, and rather than put the work in required to get what you want, you and others complain. I know and agree there are many people like this and that is why I addressed the issue in this thread.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Umm IamLezul , did you read what was written?

All the things are optional and not needed at all for the enjoyment of the game.

Some people can go out for fast food and be happy, others need to fly on their private jet to Europe for dinner to be happy.

Can I afford all these new toys for my wizards...Yes. Have I bought a mount for any of them...No. (I might on a few of my high levels, as by the time you get to DS you have a hugh surplus of coins in most cases).

Why? I don't need them. They are fun to watch, especially the younger set, as they race them and have fun, and half the reason I play this game is social interactions, working with others, etc.

Oh, I spent a few crowns on second chance...I am not going to anymore as the chance for the second time to get something good is not improved, so farming if I want something is the way to go.

I might try Henchmen if things get serious, but, I never needed them before, etc...

Now look at the prices:
Low end mount = 1 visit to a upscale coffe vendor (you know, those that have spread across the world from Seattle).
High end mounts = A week of visits.

I realize that some players will be from families on food stamps and lost jobs...but the enjoyment of the game does not, and should not, be from the new toys...they are not necessary for the flow and fun of the game.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:

Your right Lydia it IS their choice rather they want to spend THEIR money (not whoevers is complaining about it. On in game cash but i do have my own opinion MY opinion is i would love new spells next time

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I have a friend thats bought 3 mounts with GOLD before if that encourages anyone

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
Mounts are fair, you get what you pay for with them. ($50 dollars is a bit much but mine were bought with gold so idk if thats a fact or not). But someone stated mounts are one time things, not true. I have a perm. tiger and purple glider because I'm stingy with gold and it isn't hard to save up ;). Only thing I don't agree with are the outfits. The Guardian outfit, that doesnt even have good stats, is way over priced in gold THEN you have to give the crowns to make it acceptable. Also you have to find better hats and shoes to pair it with, which is more gold on top of it. The mounts should certainly be more then those outfits, and that's my complaint :D.

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
Honestly, it's not that hard to save up for a mount or anything else you're wanting in-game...Their prices are more then fair coin wise as well as crown wise.

Since the mounts were released, I've not only purchased one mount (dragon) within a week of the release with coins, but also bought and fully furnished a new home (DS Grand Fortress) with plenty of coins left over towards another mount. And considering I easily spent over 70,000 decorating alone?That's all within a little over 2 weeks since the release of the mounts.

But it's all about priorities too, as another poster mentioned. If your spending all your available coins on other things, it's going to take longer to purchase the mount of your choice. Simple as that.