Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wild Bolt: Serious Consideration Necessary

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
I have been a huge fan of Wizard101 since a while after its full release. However, since the installment of PvP, ranks, and arena gear, several issues have arisen. I feel the primary problem is with Wild Bolt. I have a character of every school except Ice, which includes a Grandmaster Storm character. Assuredly, Wild Bolt is a wonderful card with the chance of killing nearly any monster, given the proper boosts, the first turn of battle. HOWEVER, PvP has adopted Wild Bolt as an all too common practice, as important as shielding or buffing. Despite everyone who loves it because it always works for them and contributes to their rank, I find this a serious problem. I understand there have been several previous threads about this topic, but I feel the need to address the issue again as I haven't seen anything done about it.

As I said, I DO use Wild Bolt occasionally, but what reason is there for it to become an ace in PvP, where one who doesn't use it is at a great disadvantage? It seems to me to be intended as a trivial attempt when one has NOTHING else to do, a complete toss in the air. But this is certainly not the case, especially with the involvement of arena gear stats. With a few tricks, Wild Bolt gains a significant accuracy increase to the point where it will work nearly 50% of the time. Where is the FUN in that? I've often heard before, "Let's have a Bolt battle!" Ok what?? You mean to tell me you want to enter a battle, click the same card repeatedly and hope it works, all the while anticipating the luck of your opponent? Likely a result from a lack of intellect and necessary mental stimulation, this relates, to me, like a ridiculous television show where 2 cavemen continuously toss rocks at each other. If any of you watch such a show, let me know what channel it's on.

Enough with the satire, though. Now, if it isn't overwhelming evidence of a necessary change when a level 8 Conjurer is running around in arena gear because of numerous Wild Bolt successes, then I have no further hope of this instability being corrected.

If you don't have a well-structured and intelligent response, then don't post. "You're just mad because you can't win." is no necessary nor the slightest bit factual. I am Warlord or Commander on several of my characters, so this is not the issue. Again, I want to stress that I have considered and BEEN on both sides of the predicament and have reasoned this suggestion logically based on my experience and judgment.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2009
i think your right, wild bolt is used WAY too much, i am a master lvl 47 ice wizard, and i have tons of health, like any other ice wiz, but its pretty bad when a wild bolt can take me out in one hit. i mean, i'm not angry about it, in fact i respect that they are stronger then me, but enough is enough when i am reduced to a PRIVATE because people always use wild bolt. i think this is a matter that needs to be throughly considered and hopefully fixed.

-keira willow whisper.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2009
Here's what I think i understand both sides but its hard to fix wild bolt i understand from one side that it does major damage with a short pip count and lots of damage ( trust me as a war lord you get that a lot )

but now think about it from a storm's point of view he has 2 power pips he tries to bolt fizzles now he gets a any kind if pip well from the circumstances he might as well just use stormzilla or Triton rather then waste time bolting so if they raised the pip amount storms would really find no use for it because they have a better chance just using stormzilla triton or storm lord

its fair and unfair at the same time just try to see it from both points of view

sincerely

foulsteel

Explorer
Mar 02, 2009
Do you people see that wild bolt does about the same as the buffed triton? It costs less pips howver and has lower accuracy, so why exactly is everyone mad? Us storm need something, we have low health, low accuracy, but our damage is our key. That coming from a level 49 ( stuck forever now lol ) storm.

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
people are upset because it's not just storm wiz's using this card to their advantage anyone who has a storm wiz as a friend or has another account that is a storm wizard can make up a huge amount of these as treasure cards and then just sit and blast whomever shows up on the other side and I think it's sad where is the skill in that??? PvP should be a test of how good you've gotten with using the spells you have not the the two pip 1000 damage plus that you can fill up your treasure card slots with - Yeah I understand storms argument in this but If there was a way to restrict it's use to only storm wizards in the arena or something - I don't know just a suggestion.

Explorer
Aug 18, 2009
i do not have a storm wizard (i have tried a couple times but the fizzle rate was raising my blood pressure too much so they went the way of the Dot Matrix Printer), i have only recently started PvP and have not encountered 'Bolters', so feel free to blast me for being ignorant, uninformed, or just plain wrong.

that being said,

what iv'e read on the forum, and what i know about the spell, leads me to the conclusion that the problem is not in the spell itself, but in the ways that it's 'fatal flaw' (accuracy) can be over come. which KI perhaps did not see when the spell was created

equipment can add accuracy, and the sniper treasure card as well as an accuracy spell during the dual significantly increases the chance for a successful cast. nearly 50% according to the original poster.

so what makes this any different than any other spell?

what i see, (and, again feel free to blast me for this) is the ability to walk into the arena with a pre-buffed triton that is likely to go off about every 3 rounds.

round 1 lightning strike +10% accuracy
round 2 Sniper enhanced wild bolt fizzle
round 3 Sniper enhanced wild bolt 1000pts

repeat untill crispy,

please tell me what school has a remote chance of killing someone before they can get this off?

and this is assuming no power pip round one

the problem is that most of the prep work can be done outside the arena.

in my uninformed opinion the major problem does not lie in the wild bolt spell but in the treasure cards.

please hand me a blind fold and a cigarette before you commence firing.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Darkick wrote:
I have been a huge fan of Wizard101 since a while after its full release. However, since the installment of PvP, ranks, and arena gear, several issues have arisen. I feel the primary problem is with Wild Bolt. I have a character of every school except Ice, which includes a Grandmaster Storm character. Assuredly, Wild Bolt is a wonderful card with the chance of killing nearly any monster, given the proper boosts, the first turn of battle. HOWEVER, PvP has adopted Wild Bolt as an all too common practice, as important as shielding or buffing. Despite everyone who loves it because it always works for them and contributes to their rank, I find this a serious problem. I understand there have been several previous threads about this topic, but I feel the need to address the issue again as I haven't seen anything done about it.

As I said, I DO use Wild Bolt occasionally, but what reason is there for it to become an ace in PvP, where one who doesn't use it is at a great disadvantage? It seems to me to be intended as a trivial attempt when one has NOTHING else to do, a complete toss in the air. But this is certainly not the case, especially with the involvement of arena gear stats. With a few tricks, Wild Bolt gains a significant accuracy increase to the point where it will work nearly 50% of the time. Where is the FUN in that? I've often heard before, "Let's have a Bolt battle!" Ok what?? You mean to tell me you want to enter a battle, click the same card repeatedly and hope it works, all the while anticipating the luck of your opponent? Likely a result from a lack of intellect and necessary mental stimulation, this relates, to me, like a ridiculous television show where 2 cavemen continuously toss rocks at each other. If any of you watch such a show, let me know what channel it's on.

Enough with the satire, though. Now, if it isn't overwhelming evidence of a necessary change when a level 8 Conjurer is running around in arena gear because of numerous Wild Bolt successes, then I have no further hope of this instability being corrected.

If you don't have a well-structured and intelligent response, then don't post. "You're just mad because you can't win." is no necessary nor the slightest bit factual. I am Warlord or Commander on several of my characters, so this is not the issue. Again, I want to stress that I have considered and BEEN on both sides of the predicament and have reasoned this suggestion logically based on my experience and judgment.

Oh, boy. Here we go again. Ok i dont want to get into another arguement, but wild bolt's not changing. I'm not going to state why i dont care about wildbolt, but i'll say one thing: DREAM REALITY! I personally fear ice and storm wizards, though i've beaten many. But not storm because of wildbolt. I dont give a doughnut about wildbolt. Not a single doughnut. Anyway, between you and me, the thing that kills me is tower shield. Thats why i hate ice.

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
"Oh, boy. Here we go again. Ok i dont want to get into another arguement, but wild bolt's not changing. I'm not going to state why i dont care about wildbolt, but i'll say one thing: DREAM REALITY! I personally fear ice and storm wizards, though i've beaten many. But not storm because of wildbolt. I dont give a doughnut about wildbolt. Not a single doughnut. Anyway, between you and me, the thing that kills me is tower shield. Thats why i hate ice. "

I am a tad confused by the post. Are you King's Isle staff? Stating if something is not going to change is pretty bold and I would guess outside the bounds of your influence. KI does sometimes change things due to input from their player base (see change in crafting for example). So I would highly recommend of taking a more moderate stance and let people voice their opinions about various aspects.

And lastly, how does a tower shield "kill" you exactly? You don't have -ANY- wand to break it?

Survivor
Jul 30, 2009
I can't stand when it people use wild bolts during pvp. How does it feel to go from warlord to private because a storm person just uses a bolt one, two, three, maybe for times (depending on level). But here's another point: It is possible to get a wild bolt treasure card. Anyone can use it. I have tons of wild bolts for treasure, but i only use them if someone else decides to use their's. [I am balance, level 47] Every card can be a treasure card, so anyone can use wild bolt. But another issue could occur after that: I can't stand treasure cards. Anyone who uses them in pvp is, in my book, a CHEATER. I can't stand when fighting [for example] death and then out of no where comes wild bolt, and with a feint your finished, or at least close. But also, storm does have shields. You can use shields to prevent a huge wild bolt attack. Many of you are also probably saying "She has mixed opinions" which i certainly do. All i can say is this: dont like treasure cards and wild bolts during pvp

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
1dogand1cat wrote:
I can't stand when it people use wild bolts during pvp. How does it feel to go from warlord to private because a storm person just uses a bolt one, two, three, maybe for times (depending on level). But here's another point: It is possible to get a wild bolt treasure card. Anyone can use it. I have tons of wild bolts for treasure, but i only use them if someone else decides to use their's. [I am balance, level 47] Every card can be a treasure card, so anyone can use wild bolt. But another issue could occur after that: I can't stand treasure cards. Anyone who uses them in pvp is, in my book, a CHEATER. I can't stand when fighting [for example] death and then out of no where comes wild bolt, and with a feint your finished, or at least close. But also, storm does have shields. You can use shields to prevent a huge wild bolt attack. Many of you are also probably saying "She has mixed opinions" which i certainly do. All i can say is this: dont like treasure cards and wild bolts during pvp

If I had judgement I wouldn't like treasure cards either...

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
Lol, wild bolt is getting pathetic. I was bolted 7 times out of god knows how many times in a 2v2 match last night. Luckily, I drew some shields and dissipates to stop a couple of those wild bolts.

Their excuse for wild bolting so many times (them being balance and death) was because they were having "fun", yet later after we kill one he said we had wasted our pips on killing him because he's bugged himself.

After the turn passes, he didn't bug and he later accuses his "5.5 engine" not working and frantically asking his partner, "Why isn't the 5.5 engine working?". I have screen shots of that, but I doubt KI will look into it or do anything about it. They never do anything about their game to improve it unless they're gaining profit off of the improvement.

Explorer
Dec 14, 2008
I think wild bolt is fine for storm wizards since it is in our school of choice. But when i get bolted by an ice wizard thats a different story. But for storm its perfectly fine.

Survivor
Apr 04, 2009
Personally, I think people complain too much about this. If you have a Storm Wizard, and fill your sideboard with Wild Bolts (like my storm!) what's stopping you from using it in PvP? Yes, I too am annoyed with Level 7 Pyromancers running around in Warlord Gear, sideboards packed with Wild Bolts, but once upon a time, wasn't Judgement an"unfair advantage for Balance"? Here is an interesting topic about Wild Bolt from Wizard 101 Central: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25744&highlight=wild+bolt+unfair

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
from my point of view i kinda like wild bolt for my lvl one myth arena guy but i dont use it much i result to kraken or stormzilla but i dont think it should be only for storms because it a battle way for low lvls to look cool and i do some times hate wild bolters but its there way to win so i just deal with them withs storm shields. i can beat them from ym high health
(3010) on my grand life easy from having to deal with them a lot and having to learn a way to stop them

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
MangaofMyth wrote:
Personally, I think people complain too much about this. If you have a Storm Wizard, and fill your sideboard with Wild Bolts (like my storm!) what's stopping you from using it in PvP? Yes, I too am annoyed with Level 7 Pyromancers running around in Warlord Gear, sideboards packed with Wild Bolts, but once upon a time, wasn't Judgement an"unfair advantage for Balance"? Here is an interesting topic about Wild Bolt from Wizard 101 Central: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25744&highlight=wild+bolt+unfair

I'm totally disregarding this post and link.
For one you say people complain too much about wild bolt, yet you just agreed with us.. you're annoyed by fire wizards running around with wild bolt.

As for the link, the poster compared wild bolt with dark fairy AFTER pointing out the percent range. Who cares if you are casting dark fairy 50 times? That's 50 turns as compared to maybe 3 at most for a commander geared person to cast wild bolt successfully. Bad link.