Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Porting Protocol

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
How many times have you been in the heat of battle, your health and mana are low but you're ready to finish off that last monster when suddenly some "friend" ports into your fight, hangs around long enough to draw in one or two additional monsters, then FLEE, leaving you to face a "mob" of new enemies where you either (a) die or (b) have to fight for your life for another 20 minutes!

I say there needs to be Porting Protocol and that players should consider the following:

- Ask the player what he/she is doing before porting to them.

- Ask the player if its okay to port to them. Many players (like myself) prefer to solo certain quests.

- If you port into a fight have the "courage" to help your friend out especially if your presence has drawn additional enemies.

- Don't port out of "curiousity" just to see what your friends are doing.

- Don't port into someone else's battle then go after the Boss.

- Don't port into peoples Dorms/Homes (so rude)

Any comments feel free!

Christo ShadowMancer
45th Level Conjurer (Myth)

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009
I have had this happen to me several times. The worst was in a dungeon that then populated with extra monsters. I am glad to see someone post a set of common courtesies to ensure that everyone enjoys the game.
I have started turning the port option off when I am in my home to ensure that I do not have unwanted visitors.

Explorer
Jul 16, 2009
:) i agree. Sorry to anyone i ported to in their house and wasn't invited. Somebody should do something about the way the port to your friend in their house note works. Maybe it should say something like port to your friend in their friends house, then a person would know they aren't porting to their friend's house, but porting to someone else's. I stopped going to people's houses because you can never be sure who you are going to upset. And if you leave your port on maybe a lot of people will end up in your friend's house for no reason. That is bad. Sorry if I ever contributed.
So, maybe two notes; port to your friend in their house or dorm room, and port to your friend in their friend's house or dorm room.
Then a person would know for sure where they were going.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
OnyxSage wrote:
How many times have you been in the heat of battle, your health and mana are low but you're ready to finish off that last monster when suddenly some "friend" ports into your fight, hangs around long enough to draw in one or two additional monsters, then FLEE, leaving you to face a "mob" of new enemies where you either (a) die or (b) have to fight for your life for another 20 minutes!

I say there needs to be Porting Protocol and that players should consider the following:

- Ask the player if its okay to port to them. Many players (like myself) prefer to solo certain quests.

- If you port into a fight have the "courage" to help your friend out especially if your presence has drawn additional enemies.

Any comments feel free!

Christo ShadowMancer
You may not recall but now you can go to options in your "spellbook" and click privacy options from there you can choose rather friends are allowed to teleport to your or not.

sincerely colin sparkleheart level 50 theurgist
hope that helps! :-)

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
bravevline wrote:
OnyxSage wrote:

Any comments feel free!

Christo ShadowMancer
You may not recall but now you can go to options in your "spellbook" and click privacy options from there you can choose rather friends are allowed to teleport to your or not.

sincerely colin sparkleheart level 50 theurgist
hope that helps! :-)

Just turning the port off is not always conveneint or practical. There are instances when you need a specific friend to port to you and you don't want some inexperience wizard, someone just looking to gain xp or bored porting into your battle or home. I now keep my port turned off and only turn it on when I need someone to port to me, but the minute I turn it on, not only the person that I need to port to me, but others start porting to me as well.

There needs to be an option, like the friends option, allowing permission for the person to port to you or not. Someone on this board made this suggestion and I think this would be the perfect solution to the problem. This way you don't have to keep turning it on/off and you don't have the worry of someone porting to you at the wrong time.