Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

FIX WILD BOLT or I'm done with wizard 101

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 18, 2009
DarcRiku wrote:
I would like to see wild bolt do damage to the user. Say like 500 dam to self 1000 dam to target. With mods it would make it still powerful but all the low level user would be kicking there own butts. It would make things intersting to see.

I think this might be a good idea if this applies to schools that are not storm using it. Storm -already- has an inherent low health design feature to offset the higher damage though.

I think on a tangent that the game needs to look into upping the min health of all characters. For pvp being one shot killed is really not good game design and that causes most the complaints.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
It happend to me before.When i first beacame a subscriber i did rank matches and i was good.But then i think i did a 4v4 or a 1v1.Anyway i was doing great when all the sudden the enemy used Triton.Then i lost and then i was back to pvt.So what i would do is earn captain back.

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
First of all, Wild Bolt is NOT the ultimate duel ender everyone makes it out to be. Fire and Ice both get the shield sets to counter a Bolt at 70%. Tower adds another 50% and absorb lowers it by half and the Ice Armor lowers it by however many pips you have in it. The Storm shield is an automatic 85% reduction. So where is it the all powerful spell everyone talks about? It can be countered and shielded against. Yes it hits hard and yes it can do some damage. Judgment can too, HOWEVER, they can be dealt with by simply preparing your decks.

Shields, as taught to us in Dragonspyre, are our friends. USE them.

Gold cards are a part of the game. USE them.

Decks range in many shapes and forms, forgive the expression, so find the one that suits YOU. *special note here* Rune Wardens deck, a somewhat generic deck, will hold FIVE cards of any school. Others are limited to FOUR. You decide.

Dueling has changed from the times when it was a honorary event to what is now a farce on an online game. People do not care who they defeat or what they do to win it seems because there is NO policing the game by the creators nor is there any policing the language save the reports button which is now a BIG joke.

You wish to quit over a dueling experience then by all means do so. Otherwise, nothing is going to be done about it and the game goes on. In the past year we have played this game, KI has changed the way the duels are done one time. That was to change them from open duels, to the ranked dueling matches and make it a crown subscriber option and no longer available to free players in the ranked matches. When better ideas were submitted to reevaluate the ranking methods, they refused the suggestions. So as I stated earlier, want to quit because of a few lost duels then do so, because it is very obvious to us that KI doesn't care. It just leaves room for the next guy in the arena who will probably Wild Bolt his way to Gold Card Commando too.

James StormRider
Master of Storm

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
MasterCowboy wrote:
First of all, Wild Bolt is NOT the ultimate duel ender everyone makes it out to be. Fire and Ice both get the shield sets to counter a Bolt at 70%. Tower adds another 50% and absorb lowers it by half and the Ice Armor lowers it by however many pips you have in it. The Storm shield is an automatic 85% reduction. So where is it the all powerful spell everyone talks about? It can be countered and shielded against. Yes it hits hard and yes it can do some damage. Judgment can too, HOWEVER, they can be dealt with by simply preparing your decks.

Shields, as taught to us in Dragonspyre, are our friends. USE them.

Gold cards are a part of the game. USE them.

Decks range in many shapes and forms, forgive the expression, so find the one that suits YOU. *special note here* Rune Wardens deck, a somewhat generic deck, will hold FIVE cards of any school. Others are limited to FOUR. You decide.

Dueling has changed from the times when it was a honorary event to what is now a farce on an online game. People do not care who they defeat or what they do to win it seems because there is NO policing the game by the creators nor is there any policing the language save the reports button which is now a BIG joke.

You wish to quit over a dueling experience then by all means do so. Otherwise, nothing is going to be done about it and the game goes on. In the past year we have played this game, KI has changed the way the duels are done one time. That was to change them from open duels, to the ranked dueling matches and make it a crown subscriber option and no longer available to free players in the ranked matches. When better ideas were submitted to reevaluate the ranking methods, they refused the suggestions. So as I stated earlier, want to quit because of a few lost duels then do so, because it is very obvious to us that KI doesn't care. It just leaves room for the next guy in the arena who will probably Wild Bolt his way to Gold Card Commando too.

James StormRider
Master of Storm

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, it wasn't necessarily needed.
We all are aware about shields and what they can do. Not all of us are ice school and get asborb. Not all of us draw shields when we need them. Not all of us go first in a duel, and when we go second and someone casts a wild bolt the first turn you're at a disadvantage already.

It actually is a game ender, as I've been killed with it many times, and have had my health greatly reduced many times because of it.

It can make the duel become from a disadvantage into an advantage in just a short amount of time; a whole turn.

If they've only changed the system once like you've stated, then it's no wonder that it's so broken. If you make a game then you have to constantly look out for abusive spells like these and nerf them.

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
qXiLL wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, it wasn't necessarily needed.We all are aware about shields and what they can do. Not all of us are ice school and get asborb. Not all of us draw shields when we need them. Not all of us go first in a duel, and when we go second and someone casts a wild bolt the first turn you're at a disadvantage already.

It actually is a game ender, as I've been killed with it many times, and have had my health greatly reduced many times because of it.

It can make the duel become from a disadvantage into an advantage in just a short amount of time; a whole turn.

If they've only changed the system once like you've stated, then it's no wonder that it's so broken. If you make a game then you have to constantly look out for abusive spells like these and nerf them.

You seem to be well versed in dueling and what can and can not be done so I will no longer point out the obvious to you and just lay out the facts. Wild Bolt itself is only 10% accurate. In order to get the thing to hit you need a whole lot of luck even with a sniper added to it. If you fill your deck with shields and the hitting cards in the gold card / treasure card areas, then you have a greater advantage of actually drawing a shield needed than hoping one pops up soon after the duel starts. No one seems to take in account that shielded clothing is also a great idea and that crown gear is available as boss drops if crowns are an issue. If you are going to duel, then by all means take full advantage of what you have is all I am saying. Why would anyone, and yes i am referring to those who duel, go into a duel and not take full advantage of what they have available. Absorb is available as a gold card and can be won in drops. Ice Armor and Towers are the same. Going to duel? Then take advantage of all that available before you start yelling no fair.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2009
Bloodferret wrote:
The topic says it all. I'm tired of working hard to get rank just to lose it all to someone who just sits there and uses wild bolt. I have a grandmaster 2 masters and a magus. The fights take so long at the higher levels, so i decided to try some low level fights. I made a fire wizard and got him t level 5. I was doing good in pvp and got all the way to captain, almost to cammander. Then I ran in to wild bolt! I fought the same guy 4 times in a row and he only fizzled once!! I thought it was supposed to be a 10% chance. One fizzle in four fights is NOT 10%. The guy was so annoying too. The second fight when he saw it was me again he said "YAY FREE POINTS". Its frustrating when they say things like that and you know they are right. I would love the chance to fight that same person with no wild bolt and see how smug he is. After those 4 fights i was knocked back down to knight.
All the other spells can be countered with shields or weakness. Most people who use wildbolt use the treasure card vesion. This way it has better accuracy and they can get it when they want. They have more wildbolts in there deck then you have shields and they dont have to wait to find it in their deck. There is NO way to counter that.
With all of that said I am not sinking any more money in this game if they are going to keep rewarding people like that. If KI can't come up with a fair pvp system then I will shut off both my account and my sons.

This person has a valid point. There are many issues with this spell. One that I would like to address is the spell being used by a level 2 Ice with a storm wand. For a level 5 who doesnt like to use treasure cards, this type of a match up is impossible to win. It would appear that unless you use an empty deck and only add the most powerful treasure cards, there is no chance to enjoy pvp. Frankly I would be happy to use my dinky starter deck or whatever and be limited to only normal spells, ie no treasure cards as an option for ranked matches. It is hard enough to stack enough damage cards in a small level 5 deck to be able to do enough damage to a level 22 without worrying about some level 2 with wild bolt, AND YES as a level 5 I have been matched up with a 22.

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
The arena is the primary reason why I have played the game this long. Wild bolt is really the only complaint I have. It was enough for me to cancel my subscription, and I won't be sinking anymore money into buying tower shields to keep up or storm shields. Even going with loaded with tower and storm you cant stand up against the unfair advantage with someone spamming wild bolts.

The suggestions of raising the cost of pips or doing damage to the caster like feint would level the playing field.

I dont mind losing because I think the rest of the game is balanced well, but every encounter I come across with someone using this they have no problem sending 2 or 3 out. Not even denting their pip supply. I understand what every diviner is saying here about accuracy, either EVERYONE is extremely lucky or something is wrong. Kind of like feint saying its 70% on the caster when its only thirty.

KI unless there is a bunch of diviners programming the game listen to what the population is telling you. Good bye.

Defender
Apr 27, 2009
I highly doubt you are a father to anyone because true adults do not act like this over a game. Personally, I dont think dueling should be allowed for people under level 20 because up until then, there is no skill involved, it is all leaning towards who goes first, how many times they fizzle, and what school they are in. Storm could easily beat ice in a level 5 duel. All spells have advantages and disadvantages. Like Moolinda said, 3 more levels and you can shield storm. It is just a game, calm down.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
Bloodferret wrote:
The topic says it all. I'm tired of working hard to get rank just to lose it all to someone who just sits there and uses wild bolt. I have a grandmaster 2 masters and a magus. The fights take so long at the higher levels, so i decided to try some low level fights. I made a fire wizard and got him t level 5. I was doing good in pvp and got all the way to captain, almost to cammander. Then I ran in to wild bolt! I fought the same guy 4 times in a row and he only fizzled once!! I thought it was supposed to be a 10% chance. One fizzle in four fights is NOT 10%. The guy was so annoying too. The second fight when he saw it was me again he said "YAY FREE POINTS". Its frustrating when they say things like that and you know they are right. I would love the chance to fight that same person with no wild bolt and see how smug he is. After those 4 fights i was knocked back down to knight.
All the other spells can be countered with shields or weakness. Most people who use wildbolt use the treasure card vesion. This way it has better accuracy and they can get it when they want. They have more wildbolts in there deck then you have shields and they dont have to wait to find it in their deck. There is NO way to counter that.
With all of that said I am not sinking any more money in this game if they are going to keep rewarding people like that. If KI can't come up with a fair pvp system then I will shut off both my account and my sons.

well this is how an adult would act? *snicker* its a game get over it. if you are a father i would probably expect that you would act more mature instead of whining and rage quitting over wild bolt. just don't pvp if you don't like that. or get something that's been newly invented, its called a SHIELD! jeez that's ridiculous. take away treasure card's? that just will cripple the WHOLE game and PvP its self. treasure cards are an arsenal of cards for low levels or other people who have a hard time in match's since they run up against higher levels. if you want to complain i suggest that you do not PvP and act more mature about

Defender
Oct 24, 2009
Err... I seriously don't see the problem with Wild Bolt here. My suggestion is that you buy clothes or buy treasure cards that can make a minus -45 or -55 accuracy and set it on your opponet. Usually you can just make a balance person and then play it in the arena. (Though you have to first finish Wizard City.) If you want to leave. Then leave. We don't want to hear complaints about Wild bolts. It's just how the game goes. Sheesh... I hope you didn't take the offense. :?

Survivor
Apr 09, 2009
Abbigail623 wrote:
Err... I seriously don't see the problem with Wild Bolt here.

This.

“Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.” ~Elvis Presley

Are there many Level 5-10 Warlords running around in ranked PvP that are casting Wraith or Scarecrow? Orthrus?? Fire Dragon??? Heck- even Triton as their main side board card?

No.

Too many pips for them- they would die first.

“The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply.” ~Kahlil Gibran

-Somebody Somewhere's: Level Sum-thin Sum-thin, Some School or Another's, signature.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010

I have never complained about anything in pvp. Any imbalances (for the most part) can be overcome. I play a fire/storm wiz with tower shields.

I am reletively new to the game, few months but love pvp in pc gaming. I made knight reletively quickly and was looking to continue to improve...

I then rolled into a long series of Wild bolt players. I am going to say this is level headed as possible: You have got to be kidding.

If you think the lower probability of landing is offsetting the low pip cost, thats rediculous. Im lvl 46 and never had much problem (since about lvl 42) winning against lvl 50 players. But when my win ratio goes from about 75% against players lvl 50, to 0% against Wild bolt players OFTEN lower lvl ... it makes you take notice.

Dont tell me about shielding. I am the shielding master. If you go second, this is as close to an automatic loss as there is in this game. And even if you go first against someone stacked with treasured wild bolts, it is such an easy task to chew through your shields with standard bolts etc that its very difficult.

I know people who have it want to insist "suck it up". But honestly, there is zero skill in a handful of wild bolts.

Anyways, I really do hope there are some modifications made. And while your at it, consider making each ROUND random to see who goes first. Would add some real excitement and fairness to the match. Going first in Wiz101 is a very significant advantage. Just making that element a coin flip for the entire match could be improved imo.

Thanks

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010

I cut this from bombfish's post on another thread. I really thought it articulated WB well. Please admins consider this again:

Prime example: Wild Bolt as a Treasure Card eliminates whole strategies. The mechanics of Treasure Cards being what they are - return the fizzled spell to the sideboard for another use - perfectly suit WB to be spammed. This might be okay if the overall speed of the format were fast, but it isn't. Wizard101 is a patience game, especially in the Arena. Even the fastest Storm grandmasters still require a few turns to set up traps, blades and the eventual Storm Lord or Triton to seal the deal, and this depends on their luck with the Power Pips. Wild Bolt dodges the waiting and preys on the game's mechanics to put itself in a position of extreme resourcefulness. No other spell approaches its capacity for damage at such a low cost, and as has been illustrated time and again its low accuracy is not difficult to circumvent. Warlord gear and accuracy enhancing Treasure Cards give the Bolt almost 50/50 odds of resolving, and being a Treasure Card makes it tradeable. The trading is where the system really breaks down; different Wizards exist to employ different strategies. Some summon minions, some hide behind shields, some can even run an opponent out of cards via regeneration and disruption (Weakness/Black Mantle effects). But all of those strategies can be and often are supplemented with this Wild Bolt fallback plan. It's seen time and again, when teams come from behind by breaking out this almost universal emergency plan - if individualized path to victory is failing, try Wild Bolt. This is a problem because it makes players think about going very specifically out of their way to change their deck in a way to deal with this plan.

Please re consider modifying this. It really does take away from the appeal of pvp when its skill/luck are completely minimized by WB.

Survivor
Nov 15, 2009
Wildbolt is part of the game. IF you dont like enjoy losing a fun time.

Sunken city is unfair, yet people find ways to beat it. Just think about it for a sec, instead of blowing up on the forum.

PEACE!

Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
Well instead of banning it. Note: This might not be my best idea yet. You could just make the treasure card version of it very uncommon
( extraordinary.) I dont know what to do about the real card but KI could either ban it from pvp ( only using the very very very rare treasure card version of it ) or KI could do NOTHING to help us with it and then that would be that. So don't start whining just because they won't fix it.

Side Note: I LIKE PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
thadwolf wrote:
:
Bloodferret wrote:
OK, you people need to stop whining over this! First, you say Balance "unbalanced", and now you are trying to take away the storm school's adantage of high power over accuracy. If you dont like it, then keep it to yourself! Robert Windbreeze Level 50 Ice Wizard

EXACTLY!!!! If you get annoyed and start whining, then don't do pvp!

Delver
Dec 26, 2009
Bloodferret wrote:

Maybe they switched around the success rates. I have been trying to summon a Kraken millions of times and it only worked 10% of the time. So don't quit. The GM's must of made a mistake in programming.

Delver
Dec 26, 2009
MasterColeman wrote:
SHIELDS WONT HELP IT IS A 2 PIPS SPELL THAT DOES 1000 IF IT HITS NOT INCLUDING BOOSTS AND TRAPS AND BLADES! I FOUGHT THIS GUYS WHO WASNT STORM BUT HE USED LIKE 5 WILD BOLTS( 5 CAUSE OF BALANCE ALL MY SHIELDS) BUT I LOST CAUSE IT HAS 20 ACCURACY IT WAS TREASURE NEVER FIZZLED ONEC I FOUGHT HIM 2 TIMES IN A ROW MY SATYR AND CENTAUR FIZZLE MORE THEN THAT

WOLF SHADOWBREAKER LVL45 SORCERER( i have up to feint in death and centaur in life)

Wild Bolt has 10% accuracy not 20%. Why not keep the damage, change the success rate but in addition, make it worth 9 PIPS! I have up to Doom and Gloom in Death and Darkwind in Storm. I can't wait to learn Stormzilla!

-Anthony Redflame Level 34 Necromancer (Almost 35)

Survivor
May 11, 2009
Thanks for the re-post poop508, although to be fair that article was more about Treasure Cards than Wild Bolt. I still find WB to be sort of the poster boy for the argument against Treasure Cards in the Arena.

That argument is based on this observation: On the whole in other TCGs, any card or mechanic which draws multiple cards OR purposely finds another specific card is very closely monitored to make sure it doesn't break the game. Just look at any banned/restricted list in other popular card-based games - you tend to find abusive card drawing cards and abusive card finding cards on those lists more than you see any damaging spell, protective ward or other effect. And usually, they tend to cost less than they actually seem like they should - that is to say their mana cost, or pip cost, or whatever the game's way of paying for spells is, isn't high enough. Think Helephant damage with Fire Elf cost and accuracy - such a card would be detrimental to everything from deck building to Training Point allocation to choosing a Wizard at the head of the game.

If Treasure Cards had but one shot to go off during a single game, WB might not be such a huge issue. The fact that TCs can be accessed time and again regardless of fizzling is what makes WB as problematic as it is. Its 'low' accuracy is offset by its capacity for infinite recursion. ONLY to the extent that the system currently in place allows for WB to be abused, I will say that Wild Bolt is not actually a problem. Rather it is a symptom of a system that is FINE for PvE but BAD for PvP. Treasure Cards on the whole need a re-examination in the Arena - they usurp the Training Point system, they provide a means of guaranteeing spell resolution, they enable the Wizards with the highest life totals to function in many of the same ways as Wizards with lower life totals... they do a world of disruption to something that should ideally be about deck construction, Training Point choices, skill, and ultimately an amount of luck. Forget the Bolt for a minute; consider that I don't ever have to use a Training Point to cast Tower Shield, Satyr or Feint so long as they exist in my sideboard. In PvP, that just gives high-HP Wizards the ultimate advantage over others, as they end up being able to access all the same spells.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010

One other point I am not sure is being emphasized enough ...

There is no way, NOT EVEN CLOSE, that the actual success rate is running at 10%. Now, mods, gear etc etc obviously can be utilized to tweek this higher but math is math ...

The chance for 3 successful bolts in a row is 10% x 10% x 10% = 1 in 1000

I have seen this twice in two duels in a row, which is 1 in 1000 x 1 in 1000 which fyi = 1 in 1,000,000

Now cmon. Whos kidding who. Either the random number generator is broke or something else is at work.

EVEN AT 50% --> 50% x 50% x 50% = 12% chance of three in a row.
Two fights doing this successfully in a row is 12% x 12% = just barely over 1 in 100.

Soo, first off if there is any way to get this spell to 50%, its a joke. Way to powerful for no cost.

And even if you cant, why is it landing so successfully?

This isnt a rant, this isnt an explosion, its not me threatening to quit. But, if once your lvl 50 and have all quests done .. many people turn to pvp to keep there interest in this game. If the answer is "if you dont like it dont pvp" from admins, fine. But that will result in loosing interest in the game. I spend plenty on crowns, memberships etc etc. Theres no way pvp stays as fun with this happening, and I will certainly loose interest.

If I feel this way, I am certain others do.

Thanks for your consideration

Explorer
Dec 15, 2008
I am just gonna make this quick. Storm is meant to power up attacks like that. Get some shields and quit whining about the dumbest things

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
dynamite0629 wrote:
ShockerTheMenace wrote:
STOP COMPLAINING you guys are ruining the game with your Complaining. First off wild bolt is easy to shield from Its called ASBORB TOWER SHIELD AND STORM SHIELD AND THEY OTHER SHIELDS and the other shields that can protect you with both storm or ice or both fire and storm.

Judgement is a little harder to shield.
USE ABSORBS AND TOWER SHIELDS THATS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO.

So stop complaining before you ruin the game for everyone else.

Didnt you read my post before your post? Tell me how on earth you can use those shields when you go second and in the first turn your opponent use the wild bolt and it hits? It isnt the norm but it happened to me twice and never recovered. It happened as well to one of the posters.

Judgement is not hard to shield ( a combination of a regular tower shield and the -55 will do the trick, some weakness). BEFORE they can use a killer judgement, they NEED PIPS, buffs and power ups which means you will see that they are building up for that attack. You can see a judgement coming, and therefore you can plan your shields. You dont see a bolt coming, it doesnt need buffs and lots of PIPS to make it effective, so you dont know when to shield, and assuming your sheilds come up right on time. Even if you do shield and it hits you at a minimum, the bottom line is they still have PIPS left for their powerful school attack or another Bolt.

Grandmasters - Storm (Warlord), Death (Warlord), Balance(Commander), Life (Commander)
Magus - Myth (Captain)

hey dynamite person! THEY CANT USE WILD BOLT FIRST TURN UNLESS THEY GET A POWER PIP. IT A RANK 2 SPELL. and you should ALWAYS start out with shields to prep for the future. plus it has 10 accuracy so it barely ever hits anyway. the person in the initial post had a lucky break is all. that still gives no right to say yay free points but heres another point. whether they actually have the spell or just a treasure card THEY ARE GOING TO RUN OUT EVENTUALLY. once a spell in your deck is used, it is removed for the rest of the match. if you have a commander at level 5, you are spending way too much time at the arena.

plus, storm has it tough. to compensate for high attack, KI gave them wicked low health and accuracy. they gotta get their licks in any way they can.

this point is probably the most valid: THIS IS JUST A GAME. making this big of a fuss over one small aspect is JUST POINTLESS.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
Here's what you do. First get level 45. After this, buy the Valkyrie Set. The robe from this will give you Triton. Now become Storm as secondary. Use all the boosts and then Triton. You win. :)

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
...Um, anybody getting worked up over this needs to go get a life. IT'S A GAME. Let me repeat this. IT. IS. A. GAME. Dueling isn't necessary to completing the game, so throwing a wingding by shutting down your account isn't going to do anything. Just don't duel. Easiest solution ever. :)

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Wow, I hardly ever PvP, but from what I hear on Storm wizards, probably every single wizard that plays in PvP is a Storm wizard. xD

Shields, in my opinion, are incredibly effective. I lost a duel to a wizard who happened to shield himself against my thunder attacks. My deck was power-happy, so I had not a single low attack to trip the shields with. I also had no shields of my own, so I could not protect myself against his attacks.

One thing that I just now read... you drop in rank if you lose? That in my opinion breaks PvP.

Players should not be able to drop in rank, or lose points, or either or both, because of a loss. If you get rewarded for winning once, or get rewarded by a rank up, then it should be permanent.

As far as I am concerned, I am not inclined to ever PvP with the current PvP system. I do not like PvP to begin with, anyway.