Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I am getting very tired of these 2 things in PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
I like to PvP, I am more of a PvP person than a PvE person (Player vs Environment). But this just gets to me.

1. Getting set up with higher levels. I'm level 34 and I get set up with level 50s.... Not cool, I can defeat the level 50s most of the time but that really doesn't get to the point. These level 50s are privates and I get low points for struggling and fighting hard to defeat these level 50s. Either I get more points for the higher the level is or you can just set me up with people who are closer to my level. And that's only for 1v1. When I try going for a 4v4 or 3v3 I am being set up with not lvl 30s but with lvl 45s-50s. This is growing tiresome.

2. I have no problem with treasure cards. As long as they are there for the appropriate level. I don't want to see a level 25 with a Helephant card! There has to be a level limit to these cards because obviously this is just disgusting and unfair. Mainly because people who use these cards at a low level feel accomplished and feel like they earned their title.

Survivor
May 03, 2009
I think number to is fair. They're TREASURE CARDS! They earned them. and you know what really bugs me in pvp? there's a bunch of matches, and i mean a BUNCH, and you have a full team, and you're sitting there waiting for anoter team just like everyone else, and it takes forever. I mean just pair up the team with another team right away! And also, you could just make it so there's not a higher level person(s) against you and you only have 1000 health and this other guy has 3,500 health! Plus, the higher level person is usually very snotty and keeps bragging and won't go a bit easy on us because it's not fair! (I do go easy on other people by the way) So what i'm saying is make it fair leveled and try to actually pair up with someone else in less than an hour PLEASE!

Defender
May 29, 2009
Tinkerbell, you're almost asking for opposite things here. You want to be paired up quickly in a match, but you want the pairing to be roughly equal in rank. Well, that's the exact problem with matching players.

Unless there are a ton of people at every level waiting for a match, then you have two choices:

1. Wait a long time until someone closer to your rank wants to join a match
2. Get people into matches faster with the possibility that there may be some uneven pairing.

Just observing how I've been matched up and how long I've waited, I think KI does try to do match people based on rank first. But after a certain amount of time passes, they know people get impatient waiting so they start pairing players up even if they are different levels.

You may not be able to have it both ways and it may not be something KI can do anything about. It all depends on how many players close to your rank want to play ranked matches at the same time you do.

7TinkerBell7 wrote:
I think number to is fair. They're TREASURE CARDS! They earned them. and you know what really bugs me in pvp? there's a bunch of matches, and i mean a BUNCH, and you have a full team, and you're sitting there waiting for anoter team just like everyone else, and it takes forever. I mean just pair up the team with another team right away! And also, you could just make it so there's not a higher level person(s) against you and you only have 1000 health and this other guy has 3,500 health! Plus, the higher level person is usually very snotty and keeps bragging and won't go a bit easy on us because it's not fair! (I do go easy on other people by the way) So what i'm saying is make it fair leveled and try to actually pair up with someone else in less than an hour PLEASE!

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
The original post is making the same complaint as I made in a recent thread: if a match is considered more or less even for the pairing system then it should also be scored that way when arena points are assigned. This is no longer happening.

As it stands now my level 34 (850 rating) student must win 9 out of 10 matches against level 50 privates in order to stay EVEN in rank. I could see this being true for opponents who are level 34 privates but expecting my level 34 to beat level 50's 9 out of 10 times is just silly.

Margothys

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
What I would like to see is divisions based on level; for example you would have the 1-10 divsion, followed by a 11-20 division, 21-30 division, and so on.
I think that would solve the problem of being paired against wizards with a huge level difference, like initiates and adepts getting paired against grandmasters.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
1 i can kill a olvl 50 and im a lvl 26

2 its a treasure card after you use it it goes away my bro is a lvl 50 and he gave me a extreamly powerful treasure card

3 i dont like the quick join button why do we have to quick join :x

Explorer
Feb 08, 2009
yeah I'm ticked off I just lost my knight rank in a pvp twice with my friend. The first match the other players were using hig lvl treasures like triton earthquake and other spells that could do special things like that. I lost the second battle because he used a feint and a hex and a curse and an elemental blade and an elemental trap and all power ups I could think of and he used wraith to kill me and heal( I was about to finish he had 260 life left with 2315 max he completely healed leaving my friend there to lose) :( :( :( :( :(

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
TKDECH wrote:
1. Getting set up with higher levels. I'm level 34 and I get set up with level 50s.... Not cool, I can defeat the level 50s most of the time but that really doesn't get to the point. These level 50s are privates and I get low points for struggling and fighting hard to defeat these level 50s. Either I get more points for the higher the level is or you can just set me up with people who are closer to my level. And that's only for 1v1. When I try going for a 4v4 or 3v3 I am being set up with not lvl 30s but with lvl 45s-50s. This is growing tiresome.

I (kinda) feel you on this one. I thought that since this is a level-based online CCG that if you went into the arena to do some PvP that it would be "fair."

Was I wrong.

I was like....level 5, I think. I had (somewhere around) 550 Health. I don't know what level the other guy was, but he had about 2500 Health.

I don't quite see that as a fair match-up. And I haven't been back in since. I mean, why should someone go into PvP knowing that they can (and probably will be) matched up with someone that is 2, 3, 4 or even 5 times their level?

If the matching system is currently "completely" random, then I think that it should be reworked. Maybe do it in 5-level blocks with an option for the player to extend that to 10, 20, etc. if there are no other players available to battle against within their block.

Cronniss Starrmyrr

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
I agree with you with number one. It isn't fair when you are a Commander Magus and are paired up with a Knight Grandmaster. Even if you DO win, you usually earn about 10 ranking, max. And if you lose... you usually lost about 24 ranking. Not so fair, but I usually don't take PvP too seriously on my lower level wizards.

As for number two, I don't really think treasure cards are much of a problem. If someone does not like treasure cards, they do not need to use them. Also, they will need to discard a card for that treasure card, and you never know what treasure you might get.

Just some thoughts.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
killer54234 wrote:
1 i can kill a olvl 50 and im a lvl 26

2 its a treasure card after you use it it goes away my bro is a lvl 50 and he gave me a extreamly powerful treasure card

3 i dont like the quick join button why do we have to quick join :x

i agree with number to dude it is a one time use i bet when you make a new wiz your going to do the same thing

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
Do you guys see that there is a practice arena where you can specify the levels of your opponents? If you want to fight against opponents of your level, go over there and do it. The ranked arena has no business accounting for differences in player's levels. It shouldn't even attempt to match up people on any statistic. It is a "best man wins" environment.

What you people are asking for is a handicap. You want to achieve the Warlord title without earning it by only beating low-level opponents. Take a moment to explain how that would be fair.

As it is, you are rewarded for your performance and the difficulty of your challenge.

If you win you get points, if you lose you lose points. Furthermore, if you win against a successful opponent you get more points than if you defeat an unsuccessful one. Similarly, if you lost against an unsuccessful opponent you lose more points than if you lost to a successful one.

Survivor
May 15, 2009
happydoggy10 wrote:
I agree with you with number one. It isn't fair when you are a Commander Magus and are paired up with a Knight Grandmaster. Even if you DO win, you usually earn about 10 ranking, max. And if you lose... you usually lost about 24 ranking. Not so fair, but I usually don't take PvP too seriously on my lower level wizards.

As for number two, I don't really think treasure cards are much of a problem. If someone does not like treasure cards, they do not need to use them. Also, they will need to discard a card for that treasure card, and you never know what treasure you might get.

Just some thoughts.

100% Agreed.

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
TKDECH wrote:
I like to PvP, I am more of a PvP person than a PvE person (Player vs Environment). But this just gets to me.

2. I have no problem with treasure cards. As long as they are there for the appropriate level. I don't want to see a level 25 with a Helephant card! There has to be a level limit to these cards because obviously this is just disgusting and unfair. Mainly because people who use these cards at a low level feel accomplished and feel like they earned their title.
Yes i agree with you i lost my membership so i went to a practice match and i faced a lvl 10 storm. i thought "this will be easy!"but what does he do... HE USES TWO WILD BOLTS IN A ROW and he kept showing cause he beat me with his non-stop wild bolts.

Delver
Jun 30, 2009
7TinkerBell7 wrote:

What you said about the Treasure Card thing

No, a level 20 something doesn't EARN a "Helephant"
They get it from there higher level friends, or beg and complain and annoy you until you give it to them...

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
No offense intended but if you are having issues just stop with the PVP rank matches. You have to be dueling at a time when there are other people that are your rank and level. If you have a high enough rank to receive level 50 duelers to fight then you most likely have the skills to fight them. If you dont then just stop dueling. There are far to many threads with people complaining about all this unfairness. Its not unfair its based on rank and level. I have been an overlord as a level 18 many times and the truth is if you dont like treasure cards dont use them, but dont expect other people to handicap themselves because you cant duel with some sort of strategy. Treasure cards are there for everyone, all the cards everyone can get. If you die to a lower level try finding some of those treasures he is using maybe you will get some sort of accomplishment. I think its high times these types of threads be deemed obsolete. There is no point in complaining, you have every opportunity that everyone else has. As a wizard with 4 grand masters, a magus, and an adept, i experience the game from all levels and its fair any way you want to slice it. Everything just isnt always handed to you on a silver spoon; some things require a little time and effort.

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
Shark0416 wrote:
No offense intended but if you are having issues just stop with the PVP rank matches. You have to be dueling at a time when there are other people that are your rank and level. If you have a high enough rank to receive level 50 duelers to fight then you most likely have the skills to fight them. If you dont then just stop dueling. There are far to many threads with people complaining about all this unfairness. Its not unfair its based on rank and level. I have been an overlord as a level 18 many times and the truth is if you dont like treasure cards dont use them, but dont expect other people to handicap themselves because you cant duel with some sort of strategy. Treasure cards are there for everyone, all the cards everyone can get. If you die to a lower level try finding some of those treasures he is using maybe you will get some sort of accomplishment. I think its high times these types of threads be deemed obsolete. There is no point in complaining, you have every opportunity that everyone else has. As a wizard with 4 grand masters, a magus, and an adept, i experience the game from all levels and its fair any way you want to slice it. Everything just isnt always handed to you on a silver spoon; some things require a little time and effort.

You're the perfect example of someone who is a lower level, achieves their rank and pvp gear by using treasure cards that are passed down to you. Also, why are you even talking about handicapping someone? You're the ones who need treasure cards TO handicap your opponent. An example? Lvl 18 vs lvl 18. You're having a hard time killing your opponent and you decide to use a treasure card way out of your league of lvl, and handicap him to make it a huge advantage point for yourself. Amirite?

Besides that point, the whole point here is the fact that the matching system is imbalanced. Having an appropriate matching system IS ideal when dealing with a pvp system. Thinkaboutit?

Survivor
Feb 20, 2009
ok heres my problem.....you guys lol. obviously if your a commander then you do have the skill to be paired up with grandmasters as said by one other person on here.

Treasure cards are nothing! if someone is useing a treasure its usually not going to be very strong since treasure cards come hand and hand with low level wizards. they dont have alot of traps or blades to buff it with so really there is nothing to fret over

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
Zamalash wrote:
Do you guys see that there is a practice arena where you can specify the levels of your opponents? If you want to fight against opponents of your level, go over there and do it. The ranked arena has no business accounting for differences in player's levels. It shouldn't even attempt to match up people on any statistic. It is a "best man wins" environment.

Best man wins or the one who can bolt you to death first? No, with all the lower levels out there that are now Gold Card Commanders, its NOT an arena its a slaughter house. Where is the dueling in that? Yes, I have a Storm wizard and yes I could bolt my way through all the matches. Is that dueling? Only if your a lower level and thats the only way you can win lol. The arena is no longer a place to match skills against another opponent as it was intended. Its become a place where the best gold cards win and thats really sad.

Zamalash wrote:
What you people are asking for is a handicap. You want to achieve the Warlord title without earning it by only beating low-level opponents. Take a moment to explain how that would be fair.

Okay, as per your request;

I have been paired with Warlords who at their present low levels would have no idea how to duel past the use of higher level cards that they have neither access to or the ability to make save friends giving them to them. Level 8 warlords should NOT exist as those levels are NOT duelers, they are Gold Card Commandos. Bolts are NOT a skill to throw and there is very little if any strategy to their, for lack of a better word and to be nice as this is a children's friendly forum, duels. Big deal, they can throw a 2 pip bolt. Gee, lets all get Bolts and we too can all be Warlords.

No, dueling is at its base, a test of skills against 2 people who are closely ranked and who use their OWN cards and spells and NOT just gold cards.

Zamalash wrote:
As it is, you are rewarded for your performance and the difficulty of your challenge.

No, read above statements. You are NOT always rewarded accordingly as Gold Card Commandos "performance" is at best a joke. As far as the difficulty of facing a higher opponent as a GCC, its marginal. Most GM's would rather duel as opposed to GCCing their way through. I say most because there are some GM's who are there at low levels, age wise, and as such have no idea how to duel past GCCing their way through.

Zamalash wrote:
If you win you get points, if you lose you lose points. Furthermore, if you win against a successful opponent you get more points than if you defeat an unsuccessful one. Similarly, if you lost against an unsuccessful opponent you lose more points than if you lost to a successful one.

What difference does it make if you defeat a GM at level 8 if all your doing is bolting? Like I said, GCC should NOT exist at that level and the level system should be reconsidered by KI as far as levels against levels and THEN ranks against ranks. NOT the other way around as it appears to be. Levels should be the first determination and THEN ranks should come WITHIN those given levels. As far as Gold cards are concerned, by all means allow them but ONLY after the levels are changed in the arena. As it stands now, GCC's and low level "opponents" should be segregated into the levels APPROPRIATE for them.

If they wish to be Warlords in their own level then fine by me. Am I complaining? Not really. I have faced these types many times. Defeated them many times as well. GCC's give dueling a bad name and leave a bad taste in my mouth. Usually only for a short time as I can't stop laughing when I see a level 8 Warlord and thinking what idiot thought up this ranking system.

So you see Zamalash, There are many REASONS beyond your " you just want a handicap" gripe to have this system re-vamped and reconstructed. Not everyone wants or even asked for a handicap to be made. They simply asked it to be fair. Right now, its not. Right now, Level 8 GCC Warlords prance around bragging about how good they are with NO idea what dueling really is. As it is now, they NEVER will know. Put them in an environment where they have to think and prep for both offensive and defensive strategies and they are lost. So who gets the worst end of the deal? The duelers or the GCC's? The GCC's do and anyone can see that.

James DreamRider
GrandMaster Balance
No Retreat, No Surrender
and To this date, NO One
Got or gets left behind
USArmy Retired

Explorer
Mar 28, 2009
I completely agree that the ranked levels should at least be picked according to rank. A few days ago, my team of a death grandmaster (a private), a balance master (me, a sergeant), and an adept whose school I forget (a private) versus a grandmaster life warlord, a grandmaster balance warlord, and a grandmaster death commander. That was very unfair! We should be able to join the matches, not use quick join and get paired up with a bunch of warlords.

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
I'd bet a lot that the original poster is a balance wizard. I also see a distinct theme here when it comes to the rose colored glasses views by people who play high ranking balance wizards. OH MY WORD someone used a treasure card to have a chance against the almighty balance class!

Do you know why people use treasure cards at low levels? Because later they have a very hard time getting the wins to get rank later due to the unbalanced balance class.

I learned real early on my storm wizard which is level 50 that getting rank is tedious and hugely based on luck and not so much skill. Facing people with full gear and removing my meager tower shields and slicing through my cookie cutter spec absorb shield like it's nothing vs. judgement is just getting old. When a balance can kill someone with really NO STRATEGY then that's the real problem.

You balance people talk about the high strategy required to attack and defense? LOL!

Here's the steps to success once you get judgement as a balance:

1. Wand to break tower shields (what type? doesn't matter all of them break tower shields /yawn)

2. Shield, weakness, build pips

3. Maybe cast mander to further complicate the other person's problem, have them waste pips dealing with it, getting power pips, free shields, free blades. /yawn

4. Full pips, cast Judgement

5. Win and throw in a LOLZ U NOOB!

6. Profit