Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 9-8-17

AuthorMessage
Administrator
It's Friday, and that means it's time for a new topic. Let's get to it, shall we?

This week, let's talk about crafting, specifically high-end crafting. Have you crafted your legendary weapon? If not, what's holding you up? If so, what would you add to make it even more legendary? What would make a difficult crafting exercise more than worth it to you?

Looking forward to your replies. Have a wonderful weekend, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Hero
May 02, 2009
I have, the Root of Spring specifically. I think to improve it would be to add more Brilliant Light cards to it, perhaps doubling the amount from two to four. This would allow users to use the MC Rebirth spell more often than they can now. As for how to make crafting more difficult stuff I would say make the materials easier to get or more widely available. You can still require a high amount of items for each individual piece but having to collect 20 Loremaster TCs for so many items when they already have such a low drop rate to begin with is just ridiculous. Try going back to the old days of crafting where you have to hunt for reagents on the streets rather than from boss fights-that to me would make them more worth the effort needed to craft them.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
Haven't tried to. The thing with powerful gear is that when new worlds with higher level gear keep getting released, eventually, you'll be able to get something better from some random monster, which won't matter because by that point you'll probably have something even better than that.

Defender
Jun 04, 2014
I have crafted the Legendary weapon, but it is pretty useless compared to even some of the weapon drops in Hades or Omen. This is because it does not have some good subsidiary overall stats.

The last great weapons and items that were worth crafting in my opinion were the Wintertusk and Grizzleheim items. They had decent overall stats that actually made them useful up to level 90. And these were basically level 60 items. They had a little of everything on them. Card spells, some energy, some resist, some damage, some critical, some block, some incoming and outgoing heal, etc. They were not necessarily the best weapons, but because they had decent amounts of everything on them, them supplemented other aspects of your gear very well, and were worth keeping for quite some time.

In my view, crafted weapons should either incorporate a whole bunch of general purpose capabilities at a lower level, or one or two specific capabilities at a very high level. For example, maybe a legendary weapon has 200 points of critical, 100 points block on it, and 10% incoming healing, and gives a starting pip (and not much else). Or it has 60 points critical, 60 points block, 10 points energy, 6% incoming and outgoing heal, 2 specialty spell cards, 10% universal damage, 5% stun resist, gives a starting pip, etc. you get the idea.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Professor Falmea on Sep 8, 2017 wrote:
It's Friday, and that means it's time for a new topic. Let's get to it, shall we?

This week, let's talk about crafting, specifically high-end crafting. Have you crafted your legendary weapon? If not, what's holding you up? If so, what would you add to make it even more legendary? What would make a difficult crafting exercise more than worth it to you?

Looking forward to your replies. Have a wonderful weekend, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!Save
I already crafted them, and what I would do to make them more legendary is by replacing the pip conversion statistic with critical block. In my opinion, pip conversion is the most useless thing you guys ever added to the game, and I also wrote a detailed post on why I find it useless. I'll copy and paste it here.

• You have a chance of getting your regular pips turned into power pips, but this ONLY works when you have 7 pips. NO ONE I know EVER has all 7 pips in a fight, BECAUSE MAX LEVEL FIGHTS DON'T EVEN LAST LONG AND PEOPLE HIT BEFORE THEY GET ENOUGH PIPS FOR PIP CONVERSION TO EVEN BECOME USEFUL.

• Furthermore, Champion Wizards have around 100% power pip chance, so what's the point of getting our regular pips converted into power pips, if we don't even have regular pips to begin with? :/// If you use an odd pip spell when you have just power pips, you have a chance of getting a regular pip refunded. First of all, who cares? We've been living just fine without this for 8 years, and I don't see anyone freaking out about the lost pip. The only people I see who really care about pips are healers, and whenever I'm a healer I just use Empowerment or Adapt. Also, Kingsisle is showing a trend that high level gear offers less power pip chance than the Exalted/Darkmoor gear had, making the odd pip spell refund useless. I only see pip conversion being useful for lower levels who don't have perfect power pip chance, and who are much more likely to have 7 pips at once.

Unfortunately, I see Kingsisle implanting pip conversion into more and more gear the higher we level up past 120. I can also see them phasing out critical and block in exchange for pip conversion. I think this the wrong direction we are taking in terms of character progression, but this seems like what Kingsisle has in store for us.

On a side note, it seems that no matter how high I get my pip conversion rating, it's always stuck at 1%?

Survivor
Aug 16, 2011
I have not crafted my current weapon, but I have in the past. What would make weapons and crafting more interesting would be the ability to craft Jewel Sockets onto a wand. For instance if I have the Sky Iron Hasta and if I had the right recipe, I could add a Tear Jewel Slot to my wand. Now to make these from being too over powered there would be a limit of probably 1 socket per weapon, and maybe each weapon would only be able to get a certain socket. So maybe the Sky Iron Hasta can only get a Tear socket, while the Sword of Kings could only get a Triangle socket.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2013
I have a 101 level Balance mage. This weekend I am going through Darkmoor for the first time and soon I should be able to craft the gear in Khrysalis. I've crafted gear from the beginning, all the houses, and the spells. It is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game. Even if I can get better gear from a drop or with crowns, I would continue to craft the gear.
What would I like to see?
I would like to craft gear that includes the abilities of a mastery amulet so that the concept of an alternate spell class becomes useful again.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2013
I crafted mine for fire. I like it, but I would rather see better stats on crafted gear. The weapon I use now game from a hoard pack and it has epic stats. I think it would be challenging to make a really difficult crafting recipe and have it rewarded with an epic weapon with the best stats, especially crit and crit block.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2016
Well, one could farm for hours on end or fight a boss multiple times with no success or spend a ton of crowns for reagents to transmute. I could go on and on and on about how difficult, time consuming and expensive high level crafting can be. And for this reason I stopped crafting. I'm all about questing now. Besides, death students use intellect to defeat foes. No special gear needed.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
I crafted the Tarrack's Legendary Frostome for my ice wizard. I almost didn't craft it because of the same school wand hits. I find it very frustrating that most of the higher level wands that are school specific have wand hits of the same school. However, since this wand also has shadow school wand hits, it works. I tend to remove some of the ice wand hits from my deck when I equip this wand. I like to use wand hits for removing weaknesses or tower shields without removing my blades or school traps.
I don't pay attention to the pip conversion stat. It's such a low percentage that it's not worth noticing.
A difficult wand crafting exercise would be worth it if the wand had a may cast random dispel, more open sockets, choice of school for wand hits, better critical stats, universal strength, universal resist, or universal armor piercing. It would be nice if the may cast spells could be turned off for cases where the boss cheats when certain spells are cast.

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
I have crafted the ice one for the look on my ice wizard, the storm one for a possible future look on my storm wiz and the fire one just for the sake of having it. I would say the main reason I don't use them is the item cards. in duels if I have debuffs I use them to get them off me but if I use a fire wand hit it will remove my blades. I know they have the shadow hit but its just not enough for me. until I find something better I will continue to use the level 100 version of the terrors hoard pack wands.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2010
I think increasing stats like critical on the legendary weapons would create a better incentive for players to actually do all the crafting quests and reach the champion crafter rank, in all honesty the crafting system in wiz is pretty useless mainly because the crafted gear isn't all that great when you compare it to darkmoor gear and the gear from the rattlebones and krokopatra exalted gear. I think the legendary weapons and all the crafted gear should be able to compete with the gear that most max levels use which are only attainable from farming, the concept of crafting as a whole is pretty awesome because you get to make the gear and sometimes getting the reagents necessary to craft a piece of gear can be just as hard and time consuming as farming darkmoor and other bosses.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
Wait, are we talking Khrysalis wands or Mirage ones? I'll just answer both.

I opted not to craft the Myth wand in Khrysalis because I had gotten the Sidhe Staff without even knowing it existed and had fallen in love with its amazing accuracy and pip boosts. I just couldn't trade it in, well, until I reached Exalted. As for the Root of Spring, the wand is soooooo tempting, but then I look at it and something's always holding me back, whether it was the total lack of block or having less outgoing than my current healing wand. My healing set isn't that well optimized; I'd feel silly running around with less than 100% outgoing. I'm like at 103%.

As for Baba Yaga's mace, I got lucky with a Wysteria Lore pack and got the Myth/Ice Wand from there. It's less damage, but more critical, and wow do these Legendary weapons lack critical. It also has quite a lot more Pip Conversion, but given I've only considered using that wand in a high-crit Frog spamming deck, I haven't really been able to utilize that.

These Legendary weapons feel kinda ordinary, and I'm thinking it's due to a lack of cards, whether granted by the wand or as a Maycast. Perhaps the next batch of Legendary weapons could come with some cards/a maycast that makes it really stand out and also has synergy with what the wand's stats are?

Survivor
Mar 22, 2010
Well ... ahem ... I have Quismah's Legendary Dagger and to me, quite frankly it kind of sucks. it doesn't look like a shadow spell with the wand shot but nothing more than a flying kick with a regular sword. Now the wand shot for the same level looks like a shadow wand hit. i think all shadow hits, no matter what school should look the same, preferably like the shadow wand hit as the fire school does. Ty :)

Survivor
Mar 02, 2011
I haven't even tried. I don't really have the time to fight lore master 400 times in hopes that they'll drop what I need .some of the dungeons have gotten so long that I'm just not interested anymore in playing those dungeons. Same with crafting who has that kind of time?

Explorer
Jan 22, 2012
I have created my legendary weapon. To make it more legendary I would add a shadow pip bonus/chance, like you did on other pieces of gear, and provide more critical.

Daniel
Champion Necromancer

Survivor
Jan 17, 2011
No, because there is nothing legendary about the weapons. It appears that KI has placed A LOT of faith in the pip conversion stat, which is HIGHLY overrated and useless for "legendary" characters who buff for so long that pips regenerate or the use shadow spells reduces the number of pips anyways.

Qismah Legendary Dagger:

+30 Critical (Ridiculously low! This should be in the 150+ range)
+16% Additional damage (Too low. Should be over 20)
+4% Pierce (Never really even look at this stat)
+125 pip conversion (Who cares?)
+3 Mega Shadowstrike Item Cards (Nice to take down shields, damage is almost irrelevant)
+3 Mega Agony Item Cards
+1 power pip (Standard since low level)
Square jewel slot (Recommend triangle or tear drop, which would actually be useful)

Changes that may warrant the crafting of a “legendary wand”:

Increase in shadow pip percentage.
Increase in critical rating.
Change the jewel slot.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I haven't crafted any, and won't. For how I play, they're useless to me. Why do you ask? A few reasons. First of all, they're school locked. I, along with many other people, run with opposite school wands so we can clear off shields and weaknesses without wasting out blades. The new pip conversion ability is still in its infancy and like many other things, nobody really knows how useful it will REALLY be in the game, long term.

When you introduce new crafted wands, there should be variations. You could make some school locked, but then make weaker ones that are universal. Or, better yet, allow us to decide what wand hits we want to put on them. If we could choose this option alone, it would make crafted the wands MUCH more likely to happen. I know my fire would craft it if he could put 6 ice wand hits on it instead of 3 fire and 3 shadow (as a perfect example). PLEASE look into this in the future with crafted wands.

Also, like with the darkmoor deck, we should be able to choose what type of socket we want. If Im using a wand, I'd probably want damage boost, but my gaming partner might want critical boost, and yet his questing partner for other wizards might want some kind of block

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
"Have you crafted your legendary weapon? If not, what's holding you up? If so, what would you add to make it even more legendary? What would make a difficult crafting exercise more than worth it to you?"

Short answer: I didn't bother crafting the Legendary weapons because they don't have Critical Block. It's all well and good to have high powered damage but the harsh and bitter truth of the desert is ... you have to be alive in order to use that damage. Without Block, we're dead before we can do anything.

Jackie's Bow gives 4% pierce and 16% damage, true. But it only gives 30 Critical and no Block at all. In comparison, level 118 dropped wands in the Bazaar have 60 Critical & 59 Block. Alia is carrying the Fortune Teller's Peerless Eye, which gives 6% damage, 3% pierce, 125 Critical and 125 Block. She generally 'tanks' and supports others, so she needs resists!

It was the same reason I never crafted the Shadow Forge weapons in Khrysalis, even though the Root of Spring looked tempting. No Block, and only 2 cards that give a "chance" of casting Rebirth? Not worth the risk.

(Also, the Scales of Time crafted wand in Khrysalis gives 33 Critical, more than the supposedly 'legendary' weapon for level 120!)

What makes something worth crafting is when it is comparable to top level dungeon gear.

I hope your crafting team will go back and review all the gear options we had at level 55-60. Wintertusk crafted gear was AMAZING. It was just slightly less than Waterworks and therefore absolutely worth the time and effort to craft. The rings and athames were fantastic. The Wintertusk crafted wands were unique, with vastly different card builds that we could adapt to various playing styles. Over all, the Wintertusk crafted gear was one step above the best drops from Celestia and one step below Waterworks. It was perfect!

You spoiled us crafters with that update.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Nov 27, 2016
There was a definite challenge when I crafted Queen Calypso for my storm. Getting all that amber through farming the Gladiator was a bit of a pain, but the payoff was moderately good. It would have been better if Calypso was an AOE or if the ingredients (such as 120 blood moss) was lowered. In terms of input and output, the legendary weapons were a fair balance. The ingredients weren't too rigorous, but the weapons themselves lacked critical and a nonexistent critical block. The added pierce and pip conversion was nice, but didn't really redeem itself with the lack of decent critical. If Wizard101 wants to make a real challenge, make it reminiscent of the card crafting. Those are definitely a challenge, but make sure the payoff is good. If they are to make new legendary weapons, make them rival the card pack wands for levels 110 and 120+. Pip conversion is nice but if it sacrifices better stats like higher critical or block, then lower the pip conversion or don't even include it. I'm not sure what else Wizard101 is going to tag pip conversion stats onto, but at the current rate, putting a gargantuan amount on a wand and reducing the other stats (like the legendary weapons) was just a blunder. If for instance, they increased the critical on Ione's legendary sword from 50 to 70-80, reduced the pip conversion from 125 to 75-85, and even decrease the damage or pierce by 1-2%, that wand would rival the Professor's Hoard Pack storm wand for level 120s. To ensure that people don't just dip on the hoard pack, make the recipe for Ione's sword more rigorous. If Wizard101 did this for future legendary weapons, I think you'd see a lot more people using them (and feeling the payoff from a difficult crafting recipe).

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
Would be nice to see the stun or may cast stun spell removed from higher level gear. Most bosses cannot be stunned anyhow. Would also be nice if derby traits stopped coming out in the stats column. That is most annoying. Does it work the other way around? DO stats pop up in the derby column? my .02

Survivor
Apr 03, 2013
Honestly, pip conversion is absolutely useless and instead of that, you should add more useful stats like critical, critical block, or damage. I don't know anyone who thinks pip conversion is useful.

Survivor
Oct 06, 2011
I like to craft crafted the Azteca house; but haven't crafted the weapon as the ones in the packs are a lot better.
To make it better instead of the switching pips to power pips focus needs to be more on critical, block and damage at least for the attack schools; my life would rather have outgoing than damage lol.

Survivor
Oct 06, 2011
I run both fire and storm and agree that storm should have more as they give up health to be the highest damage school. Either that or put their health at the same level as fires and have them equal. But as it is those of us that run storm may decide not to bother anymore if it keeps up. Not all of us that run storm have inflated egos most of us don't and know well the benefit of a team.

Alexander Stormweaver
Level 120 Storm