Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why Wizard101?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
Wizard101 is the only mmorpg that's ever been able to hold my interest. Most games, I play for a few hours, maybe a couple days if it's really good, then I forget about it. This game isn't particularly ground-breaking, it has the same repetitive gameplay as any other mmo, and yet, I've been playing it since it came out, I've spent no doubt near a thousand dollars on it, and despite the fact that I'm now almost an adult, I still look forward to Friday nights when I can sit down and run through an Aquila dungeon with some friends.So what is it about this game that keeps dragging me back?

Well, for me, it's a combination of the art style and the combat. I've always found hack-and-slash combat to be frustrating - partially due to a slow internet connection - because I just can't keep up! I can't absorb what's happening on-screen quickly enough to react, so, naturally, I have a terrible time with most MMOs. Wizard101's slower, turn-based combat is something I can actually enjoy, because, hey, I'm pretty good at it!

The art style and the world are charming and welcoming. The bright colours, the cartoony character models, all of it just feels wonderful. I really enjoy just being in this world, which is probably why I spend so much time just decorating my house or wandering around collecting reagents rather than questing. I will fight anyone who thinks the graphics are bad.

But what about everyone else? What keeps you guys coming back to this game again and again?

~ Kiley Silverwhisper

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
I think much of it is that it's been a source of relaxation and escape through some pretty tough times, of which there have been many for me. No matter what was going on in my irl life, I could still log on and spend a few hours decorating or questing. The bright colors and cartoony style also keep me coming back.

While I've never really though much of the combat system, I suppose it's also kept me captivated. I get very bored of the typical WoW-style combat system with the powers in a bar at the bottom of the screen, button mashing becomes the norm and there's not a lot of thought.

I think I'd also have to fight anyone who said the graphics are bad lol, they're low-poly but that doesn't automatically mean bad. KI is, if nothing else, a master of making low-poly look excellent and making it an asset, rather than a limitation.

Survivor
Oct 16, 2010
The main thing that kept me attached to the game is it's simplicity. The combat mechanics are very easy to grasp unlike other games that I play/played and the graphical layout of the game makes it very fitting. Furthermore the game offers a variety of fields in which the player/s can play in without having to focus on just doing that thing like gardening and fishing. Finally with the aid of crowns the game doesn't feel like a grind feast - unless you want it to be.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I have always loved Wizards-way before Harry Potter was even was popular and before the Hogwarts Houses were scribbled down on a napkin on a train in the UK. Wizard101, I think fit that Wizard niche perfectly. I love the Family Friendly atmosphere and that the language and play is clean and nice. I love the lore behind the Spiral and all the wonderful worlds that KI has created. Thanks KI!

Delver
May 12, 2012
exp613 on Jul 27, 2016 wrote:
I have always loved Wizards-way before Harry Potter was even was popular and before the Hogwarts Houses were scribbled down on a napkin on a train in the UK. Wizard101, I think fit that Wizard niche perfectly. I love the Family Friendly atmosphere and that the language and play is clean and nice. I love the lore behind the Spiral and all the wonderful worlds that KI has created. Thanks KI!
Lol yes Harry Potter

What you said is part of my reason, but I've got a little to add:

Life lately for me has been hard in real. Harder than it has been before with so much going on. I'll be disappointed when school starts back (August 1st, couldn't get earlier ) and I will not be able to play daily. As a new W101 blogger, I think I am getting more attached to the game as I write more posts. Even though not every wizard out there reads them, I know my friends who do will, and it's always a way for us to be in touch. I have two friends that have not quit playing after a complete year, and we just don't have any friendship in the game; its through my blog. When we go on vacation and can't play, we'll write back in forth lol. And I may not know them in real but there are a lot of people I know on Wizard101 and nobody is like them. Fiona & Jasmine

So, everyone in the game is really friendly, and you will meet some people you feel like you know in real life lol. But I just love to clear all my thoughts and do things I love on the game. Quest, decorate, garden, farm, fish, all of it. It's all a place in my life. And as wizards leave, I know if they really enjoy and have a place in this game, they'll come back someday. When I do finally decide to leave the Spiral, I will be happy to make my mark. Hopefully, no time soon :) Memories will never be forgotten here****

Sorry didn't mean to make this that long! lol
~ Allison Dragongem

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
For me, it's my Happy Place. I suffer from insomnia and enjoy the colorful worlds and all the things available to do when irl everything is closed.
I've made friends here from many different time zones and it's great to be able to socialize and have fun on a sleepless night

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
The mechanics, mostly. Having spells as cards, as well as having pips take time to regenerate, gives a much deeper level of combat than simply spamming the strongest spells you have as in other games.