Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Different school playstyles

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 15, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have recently completed Empyrea part II with my storm wizard and I really liked it. I'm not really the type of guy to go for the best stats possible, so my plan is to continue with my death who is currently in Celestia. The only problem is that from Celestia and onward it gets a lot more difficult and I need to choose an effective playstyle. My strategy with my storm was mostly to blade up and one hit kill all enemies as quickly as possible, but this doesn't seem to work as well with other schools.

So my question is; what type of playstyle/strategy is most effective for certain schools in PvE? It doesn't have to be death, just any school you have a playstyle for that has worked really well for you. Thanks in advance!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The blade, enchant, hit play type works for all schools. It's just that schools such as Storm, Fire and Balance can hit a lot harder than the others, especially since they have multiple AoE's at their disposal.

So, you can apply the same technique to , but it might help if you also use feint on mobs before hitting (if you think you need to). It'll make a huge difference.

I also suggest you craft the Deer Knight spell for your death as again, it much more convenient to use than scarecrow.

And, again, for the more passive schools, I also recommend your star school aura, but I personally prefer Berserk and Frenzy .

Survivor
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I'll try out the feint method with more difficult enemies, I wasn't very used to using traps with my storm apart from bosses with high health. I have all the reagents needed for te deer knight spell as well, I just need to make it to Avalon now. Thanks for the help.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2012
With my experience as an Ice, I'd say the best playstyle to do if you aren't a big hitter like a storm or myth is to just spam or blade up. In pvp even, a lot of classes will spam - such as the abominable weaver spam or the lore master spam. I think that a death of that level would do really good blading up and spamming because the heal/hit combo death has is so valuable especially in celestia.

~Good luck questing! Logan LegendShade

Survivor
Mar 15, 2012
My ice is currently in mooshu and the low damage output has been quite the struggle. I'll try spamming more instead of blading a lot for one big hit, thanks for the advice!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
For your , I really do recommend you get feint for him.

It'll assist to bridge that damage gap the school suffers from.

Also, try enchanting your cards with TC Giant, Monstrous etc.

That also helps!

Not to mention using TC Blades or Feints.

Survivor
May 18, 2010
Aneyh16 on Jan 30, 2019 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have recently completed Empyrea part II with my storm wizard and I really liked it. I'm not really the type of guy to go for the best stats possible, so my plan is to continue with my death who is currently in Celestia. The only problem is that from Celestia and onward it gets a lot more difficult and I need to choose an effective playstyle. My strategy with my storm was mostly to blade up and one hit kill all enemies as quickly as possible, but this doesn't seem to work as well with other schools.

So my question is; what type of playstyle/strategy is most effective for certain schools in PvE? It doesn't have to be death, just any school you have a playstyle for that has worked really well for you. Thanks in advance!
Hello there!

No offense, but this is why is often looked at as the simplest and powerful school, because it takes virtually no thinking~ Just blade twice and hit and it's over. Needless to say, the other schools take a little more brain-power

Most schools love feint. For some schools such as or , this is almost crucial to have to deal actual proper damage. However, this was already stated above.
I'll try to sum up strategies for the other schools, however I am a true Conjurer (Go !) at heart, so I'm a less knowledgeable when it comes to other schools; but I'll base my knowledge based off of what I witnessed.

Wizards, despite being known for it, actually rarely use DoT in high level PvE. It's simply easier to use a shadow pip spell or Efreet or Sun Serpent, etc, because it saves universal traps when working with other wizards. In 1v1 PVP, DoTs are still very frequent (at least from what I've seen), so don't think that they're useless when you have a max pip heckhound coming your way . As far as AoE goes, I've actually seen the level 48 dragon and level 24 meteor strike get used the most often. I'm not entirely sure why, but my assumption is that they're cheaper spells that can get enchanted to do decent damage. Fire can pull off a similar strategy to storm, but they often use traps (whether they'd like to admit it or not) just as much as blades. Fire Fuel really does go a long way. Efreet is a helpful tool for bosses that cheat powerful attacks. At low levels, you pretty much want to use whatever powerful spells you have for the level. This applies to all schools for the most part.

Wizards use Ice Weaver and the penguin barrage spell. A lot. It's basically they're favorite spells. Mostly because these are spells that actually deal decent damage when most of their other spells do quite little (with the exception of maybe lord of winter). You'll find that you use the level 48 Frost Giant spell very frequently throughout the entire game. As for lower level single hits.. You basically want to use the most powerful single hit you got until Ice Weaver. You really want feints. Good luck dealing damage without them. If you're looking for a tankier playstyle rather than damaging (which makes sense as to why you're ice in the first place), Ice is very good for it. The level 8 shield spell blocks the 2 most damaging schools in the game ( and ), and you'll also have tower shields, legion shields, and shadow sentinel to tank as well; and possibly even more spells than that. It's very, very hard to take down a properly built defensive Ice wizard.

Wizards are, as you said, essentially blades and hits. Sirens are an insanely overpowered spell, tempest is a very good spell, Glowbugs are ridiculous, all of these babies dominate. A storm simply needs three blades and a shadow pip and the fight is already over regardless of who you're against. At low levels storm is a little tough (but you know this) due to the poor defenses and fizzle frequencies. However, since you already mained a storm, I don't need to say much here.

Ahhh, wizards. The most underrated school. Contrary to belief, we're more than hiding behind little cyclops minions. (we also have golems and trolls and minotaurs and talos and vassanji- but not the point). At high levels, summon minion spell cards become obsolete. Us conjurers simply need to move on from our weaker minion buddies. Mystic Colossus and Earthquake are gorgeous spells for myth as it deals somewhat decent damage and removes all shields (as well as blades in earthquake's case), a tool helpful for any school since enemies love to cast shields. Celestial Calendar has a really cool animation and is also a powerful single-hit spell at level 88. Medusa is almost a guaranteed win spell in 1v1 PVP due to the 2 round stun. Witch's Housecall is personally one of my favorite spells because it deals moderate damage and summons a minion (one of three different egg minions). These minions are actually super helpful compared to the previous. They very rarely attack in my situation, and actually blade, shield, and heal me. It's almost like having a 2nd may cast pet at once that is guaranteed to cast once almost every turn. They also make great utility for defensive situations. Need health? Sacrifice an egg for it. Have a burn effect on yourself and a healing effect on your minion? Trade them out. Eggs don't need health anyway, because you can just summon another one. you can't summon another you.
wizards also love the usage of feint since while we are a damaging school, we're not the best at it compared to fire and storm (however we have more health, accuracy and resist so its a fair trade-off). At low levels, it's unfortunately true that the minion stereotype is quite helpful. They make excellent tanks for you. As far as AoE goes, myth struggles at this slightly. You'll find that you use Frog and Earthquake throughout the entire game until Mystic Colossus.. However, it's quite worth it in my opinion. In a boss fight, you may need to use a single-hit on the minion before preparing for the boss due to the AoE issue.
(I realize that my myth paragraph is far longer than any other school, do bare in mind that I do main myth after all, and I apologize ).

Wizards have tons of healing spells as we all know. Forest Lord is pretty much your best friend. (Or Fluffy, as the Theurgists call it). Attacking is a little rough for Life wizards simply due to most of their spells involving healing. (However, if you're interested in a healing playstyle, you can always pull off the very popular "Jade Life", wearing mysterious jade gear and relying on healing spells.) The Level 118 Mirage spell is a good one, as well as Forest Lord as already stated. Wings of fate isn't awful, Gnomes are good, and some life wizards even go to the extent of using Centaur (but with an Epic enchant over it). Feints, please! Life is rough without it due to their lack of attacks (And besides, you can heal off the extra damage taken to you by the feint anyways).

Wizards don't have to worry about healing. They forgot they even had a health globe on the bottom left corner of their screen. (I'm sure some necromancers are checking their screens right now after reading this and being shocked that they actually have a set HP). I would also suggest feints, but.. you're death so you get them anyway. Lulu is a gorgeous spell that turns your nearly dead wizard into a full health wizard. However on a more serious note, AoE is also rough on them at early levels. Unless you farm for Deer Knight, scarecrow is really your only option which can be a pain. Blade up a couple times, feint the boss, take a nap while the boss hits you, realize that you actually got hurt and use lulu and immediately become full health again, repeat. A flaw to death wizardry is that many bosses also use the death school, so you'll find that you need prisms often. (If a death boss cheats removal to prisms.. good luck.)

Wizards are as stated, harder to master. They have no direct blade besides a balance blade (whereas a storm wizard could have both a storm blade and balance blade, this isn't the case for sorcerers using balance attacks.), they have no direct shield, and no prisms exist. (Good luck fighting a balance boss.) Judgement, Ra, Mana Burn, and Power Nova are strong spells to have as a Balance wizard. (It doesn't hurt to have Loremaster spell either, fun to spam debuffs ). At high levels, Nested Fury (Or hydra or chimera or spectral blast at lower levels) is quite good against bosses that would otherwise resist balance. Balance wizards are amazing support wizards as they can blade the heck out of their allies (but this does not necessarily mean they are only focused on support.) They can also heal, debuff opponents, deal damage, use shields.. Balance is incredibly versatile (thus the name, balance.. It's a balance between the other schools). If you don't know what other school to pick, definitely give Balance a shot, because it's basically fabrics of all the schools.

Sorry if I missed any crucial part to the schools, please feel free to fill in on anything I've missed. (And also feel free to correct me if you main Ice and think Ice weaver is garbage.)