Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please fix the random generator

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 21, 2013
I've noticed it being in issue in a few places, but I'll give the most obvious example. The supposed randomness of spells shown when in battle. Yes, I know that your deck won't always give you the spells you want when you want them, but let's consider something here...

Multiple times (practically every battle), I notice a bunch of same/similar spells showing up together. For example, in my deck, which can hold the max number of spells (64), I have about 63 spots used with three of them being King Artorius. Okay so I go into a battle and of the seven spells that show up, three of them are King Artorius. That's just one example from one battle. In other battles, I have seen multiple colossals show up one after the other, or heal spells or enchantment spells, etc.

Now, before someone hops on here to try to preach to me about how probabilities work, please don't. While I'm not a mathematician, I'm also not naive about probabilities. If this were an event that happened once in a rare while, then that would be one thing, as that is how probabilities work. However, when it's happening rather often, then there is something wrong. It's like playing a game of poker and out of a dozen hands, having three of a kind in almost half of them when the cards are first dealt.

Simply put, the shuffling of the deck during a battle is flawed. There are other areas where results based on a random result are also not quite right (though it would be more difficult to explain), but please, check into this.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2013
Fangs McWolf on Dec 8, 2013 wrote:
I've noticed it being in issue in a few places, but I'll give the most obvious example. The supposed randomness of spells shown when in battle. Yes, I know that your deck won't always give you the spells you want when you want them, but let's consider something here...

Multiple times (practically every battle), I notice a bunch of same/similar spells showing up together. For example, in my deck, which can hold the max number of spells (64), I have about 63 spots used with three of them being King Artorius. Okay so I go into a battle and of the seven spells that show up, three of them are King Artorius. That's just one example from one battle. In other battles, I have seen multiple colossals show up one after the other, or heal spells or enchantment spells, etc.

Now, before someone hops on here to try to preach to me about how probabilities work, please don't. While I'm not a mathematician, I'm also not naive about probabilities. If this were an event that happened once in a rare while, then that would be one thing, as that is how probabilities work. However, when it's happening rather often, then there is something wrong. It's like playing a game of poker and out of a dozen hands, having three of a kind in almost half of them when the cards are first dealt.

Simply put, the shuffling of the deck during a battle is flawed. There are other areas where results based on a random result are also not quite right (though it would be more difficult to explain), but please, check into this.
I think you need to discard one or two

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
I agree, it happens many times. I have to get rid of my strong attack spells just to get my blades. But, this is not needing a fix. As you mentioned, it is Random how your spells arrive, just wait a while, and soon you will be getting the spells you need straight out.

-Nick

"When the battle gets deadly, summon a Death Shield."

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Nicholas Hawkspear on Dec 8, 2013 wrote:
I agree, it happens many times. I have to get rid of my strong attack spells just to get my blades. But, this is not needing a fix. As you mentioned, it is Random how your spells arrive, just wait a while, and soon you will be getting the spells you need straight out.

-Nick

"When the battle gets deadly, summon a Death Shield."
It does need to be fixed. Here is the equivalent of what is happening entirely too often. It's buying a new deck of playing cards and trying to shuffle them without them being broken in yet. More times than not, you'll have cards clumped together so you'll have some randomness but not a lot. Imagine playing poker and everyone being dealt and Ace, 2, 3 or 5, 6, 7 or 10, J, Q. Not only that, but being the same suit (let's say the A,2,3 are hearts, the 5,6,7 are clubs, etc). To give you a better idea, imagine that the fresh deck starts out with cards grouped by value rather than suit, so one person gets three Aces and someone else is dealt three Jacks.

Proper randomization wouldn't give these results. If it were a 50/50 chance of something and out of 100 times, 91 of them were to be one instead of the other, would you still say it doesn't need to be fixed? When the results constantly defy the probabilities, something is wrong, period. If you still don't agree with me, then I would love to play poker with you (for money), I'm sure you'll find it perfectly normal when I keep getting royal flushes.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Agreed. When I was learning to play PvP on my death character, I thought it would help me to take note of what cards came up easiest in my deck, so I could make sure I always got the cards I needed.

Well, I was very frustrated to find that in a 40 card deck, my two Reshuffle cards were very often in the first hand I drew. Both of them. Meaning, if I wanted to discard things and get to the cards I wanted then, I would have to stake it all on knowing I would finish the duel in one hand. (Often, I was wrong.)

I don't know what the system is, but it is not random. Certain cards certainly appear to rise to the top of the mixture faster.