Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fizzles

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 28, 2012
Something that I have noticed which cuts my fizzle rate way down is that if I have at least one more pip than required by the spell. example: if I want to cast a Wyvern spell which takes 4 pips, I work up to at least 4 actual pips with one or more power pips or 5 actual pips before I cast it. What I'm doing in the meantime is casting Prisims, Shields, Traps, etc. - anything with a 0 spell cost that helps or I pass on that turn. I am also discarding cards that I probably won't be using to get more cards from my deck. When I discard I usually don't use a Treasure Card unless I am fighting a Boss and probably won't win without it. The Treasure Cards I don't use at all, I sell to the Bazaar for more Gold. I usually don't trade cards anymore because one time someone somehow got 4 of my cards for 3 of his 1's or 2's cards.

Defender
May 19, 2012
I actually started another account and am leveling up a life wizard and I have to say the difference is as night is from day. My life wizard is at level 20 now, and she can take on boss fights without a problem. She is wearing in game gear, not crown gear, fizzles a whole lot less, and leaves the battle in almost full health. These same boss fights that I had so much difficulty soloing with my storm wizard. This is a healer...her spells are not nearly as powerful and they shouldn't be, but should she be able to solo bosses that my storm wizard could barely take on? There is something wrong with this picture. I'm telling you, the fizzle rate on storm wizards is something that needs to be looked at. It is just awful. I have seen excuses that it has to do with pvp, but I am not a pvp player and I could care less about what's overpowered or underpowered in pvp. Stop messing with pve in favor of pvp, please!

Anyways, once I get her caught up to my storm wizard, I plan to make them a team for leveling up and questing together. I think with life support, my storm wizard should be fine. :P

As for the storm minion, I know a lot of people are saying it's useless. I will reiterate, if I can pull the minion out early in the battle, it does serve it's purpose, though it would be nice if the thing would attack like the balance and myth minions do instead of just standing there playing games with it's fairy for most of the battle. I still think heals should be reserved for the player or other party members prior to that first taunt. That minion should not be permitted to cast a single heal on itself prior to taunting.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
toontown78 wrote:

How on earth did you get stormzilla and triton at level 37????

Treasure Cards?

Did I really do that? LOL, I meant 38... Clearly, I should stop posting at 5 in the morning. :P

fiziali wrote:
I actually started another account and am leveling up a life wizard and I have to say the difference is as night is from day. My life wizard is at level 20 now, and she can take on boss fights without a problem. She is wearing in game gear, not crown gear, fizzles a whole lot less, and leaves the battle in almost full health. These same boss fights that I had so much difficulty soloing with my storm wizard. This is a healer...her spells are not nearly as powerful and they shouldn't be, but should she be able to solo bosses that my storm wizard could barely take on? There is something wrong with this picture. I'm telling you, the fizzle rate on storm wizards is something that needs to be looked at. It is just awful. I have seen excuses that it has to do with pvp, but I am not a pvp player and I could care less about what's overpowered or underpowered in pvp. Stop messing with pve in favor of pvp, please!

Yes, the difference is staggering... I have a level 31 Life (Tavia), and a 48 Storm (Sestiva), and they are very different.

Sestiva outhits all of my other wizards, including my level 80 Balance~ she can one-hit just about anyone, but has to plan every move carefully, to avoid joining the bobblehead club. By comparison, Tav struggles to put a dent in the enemy's armour... but she can heal herself/others more efficiently and is, therefore, a lot more sustainable.

I'm on your side here, as I don't PvP and agree that all of the nerfs required to keep that crowd happy have ruined the game.

(Dear KI, please stop killing PvE. Kthanksbye.)

fiziali wrote:
As for the storm minion, I know a lot of people are saying it's useless. I will reiterate, if I can pull the minion out early in the battle, it does serve it's purpose, though it would be nice if the thing would attack like the balance and myth minions do instead of just standing there playing games with it's fairy for most of the battle. I still think heals should be reserved for the player or other party members prior to that first taunt. That minion should not be permitted to cast a single heal on itself prior to taunting.

I still don't like that Storm minion. He was removed from my sorcerer's deck early on, and never even made it into Sestiva's; unless it's going to taunt constantly, or actually heal players (instead of itself), keeping it around is too dangerous.

Survivor
May 22, 2012
Hi, my fire wizard is at level 53 and still has fizzles. And it doesnt matter whether its a weaker one pip spell, or a stronger 6 pip spell. My frustration lies in a fizzle where I am fighting a boss and the spell that fizzles is a matter of life or death. If my spell works, I will win the day. But when it fizzles, doom is sure to follow.

IMO, its just part of the game. I accept it, because basically, we have no choice, and go back in to battle the fiend once again.

Fizzles happen and always will be part of the game. It keeps it interesting; nail biting until the spell is cast or fizzles. While frustrating, it makes the world of wizards go round.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I have no problem with fizzling accept when it's up to 3 times in a row - ugh.

Personally I do think Storm is a rough choice for new wizards, I did not start one until I had run a Life and Death though the game and will say it takes patience but once you get it all rolling by Zafaria it was embarrassing to ask for help because I leveled everything before they got a spell off. For mine it was getting the level 56 crafted gear from Wintertusk since I do not like Water Works wonder if I will get gear.

Since I solo a lot I tune my wizards for that sort of game play and provide each wizard with a spritely pet, I do use minions but have found Myth does get the better end of that stick with the Cyclops minion, the life minion is very handy but has such low health it rarely can stand any hits in higher worlds, the storm minion is helpful if he just shields me, when I first started using him I wanted to turn the attack on him to get rid of the annoyance. End of world dungeons past Mooshu maybe I needed help with but basically can do the rest of the game solo.

I have not or will not be doing Avalon so can not really comment on how things would go there.

Defender
May 19, 2012
brwac wrote:
I have no problem with fizzling accept when it's up to 3 times in a row - ugh.

Personally I do think Storm is a rough choice for new wizards, I did not start one until I had run a Life and Death though the game and will say it takes patience but once you get it all rolling by Zafaria it was embarrassing to ask for help because I leveled everything before they got a spell off. For mine it was getting the level 56 crafted gear from Wintertusk since I do not like Water Works wonder if I will get gear.

Since I solo a lot I tune my wizards for that sort of game play and provide each wizard with a spritely pet, I do use minions but have found Myth does get the better end of that stick with the Cyclops minion, the life minion is very handy but has such low health it rarely can stand any hits in higher worlds, the storm minion is helpful if he just shields me, when I first started using him I wanted to turn the attack on him to get rid of the annoyance. End of world dungeons past Mooshu maybe I needed help with but basically can do the rest of the game solo.

I have not or will not be doing Avalon so can not really comment on how things would go there.

I agree with you. It is embarrassing to ask for help with my storm wizard, because it takes so long to build up a good attack, that by the time you can actually cast your spell, the other party members have generally already killed the monster off. Or you fizzle and by the time your turn comes round again, they have killed it off.

When soloing, getting three and four fizzles in a row is horrendous, if you even survive that long. The only way my storm survives is because I took life as her secondary. I can't imagine trying to solo any other way. You spend a lot of time building up a good attack, then fizzle, fizzle, fizzle, fizzle one right after the other. Of course the big attack has disappeared from your deck by then and you have to discard a bunch of cards to even get it back, so meanwhile you are trying to cast some lesser damage spells, just to be able to hit the monster.

I understand that fizzles are part of the game, and I don't mind fizzles here and there, but storm wizards simply fizzle entirely too often. Besides, their spells say you have a 70 percent chance of casting the spell, but it seems to be the other way around, with a 70 percent fizzle rate instead. If there is only a 30 percent chance of casting the spell, the cards need to reflect that. Whatever percent the card states, that should be the percent rate of success without any accuracy boosts.

Survivor
Jan 20, 2009
Quote:vonawesome1
Deck setup:

At level 37, Sestiva was using Katsumori's Deck, which is Storm school-only, and here's how I did it (worth noting: Life is her secondary):

2 Legend shield (-70% to Death and Myth)
2 Pixie
2 Spirit Armor
2 Sprite
2 Cleanse Charm
2 Disarm
4 Kraken
2 Lightning Strike
2 Storm Prism
2 Storm Shark
2 Storm Trap
4 Tempest
3 Stormzilla
3 Stormblade
2 Thermic Shield (-70% to Fire and Ice)
4 Triton
1 Wild Bolt
2 Windstorm
1 Elemental Blade
1 Elemental Trap

Good luck!

El Veeb/Shadowsong/Sestiva
archmage sorceress & master diviner
You can't get Stormzilla at level 37. You get it at level 42.
Also, I think you can't get Triton until level 40. I'm not exactly sure about Triton, because I didn't accept the quest for it until level 41.
~Luke ThunderSword
Level 46 Storm Master

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
bigguy803 wrote:

You can't get Stormzilla at level 37. You get it at level 42.
Also, I think you can't get Triton until level 40. I'm not exactly sure about Triton, because I didn't accept the quest for it until level 41.
~Luke ThunderSword
Level 46 Storm Master

Hi, Luke~ thanks for calling out my typo. I've done that twice on this thread, probably more throughout the forums... 5 am posting needs to stop. LOL.

(As I type this, it's 5:39 am AST... *sigh*)

Triton is a level 38 spell. My Storm wiz didn't bother with side-quests and only followed the main storyline, so maybe that's why you got it at 41 instead.

No strange typos this time, hopefully,
El Veeb

Survivor
Mar 02, 2011
Yeah, I have a lot of fizzles too. They are pretty bad, though. Usually when i'm strolling through the main storyline in hopes that i'll soon be in Marleybone, I get that.On the test realm, I went in the Vault of Ice. ( I don't remember if I already finished it, maybe, or maybe not. It actually happens a lot in Kroktopia.)So here's a little story that sometimes happens: I'm strolling down Kroktopia when i get sucked into a battle. ( That's annoying too.) So then i build up for a kraken with a stormblade. Then i get a power pip. ( From my wand, i get 2 pips instead of one.) I use a storm trap. The enemy casts a locust swarm. Then i cast kraken-it fizzles. ( i have 825 health with nothing, i have bad health. :? ) Another enemy gets in the duel. Great. I cast storm shark-it fizzles. ( They both have 3 pips and are balance )Then i cast another kraken-it fizzles.Then i'm struck with 2 locust swarms, and i die.So i don't think fizzling is the worst-it's just a problem that we all encounter that is normal.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
Okay, this is weird.I had to face the Jade Oni and my Life wizard used Storm spells.He kept fizzling and then later on, I used Storm spells on Cyrus(Really nice battle Professor Drake!It was very fun!),and did not, fizzle at all.AT ALL.This is kinda weird but cool too.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2012
My ice minion doesn't in fact do that he attacks and his attacks are actually useful and they buff themselves or you sometimes i think the ice minion is actually pretty good

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
dogmom55 on Jun 7, 2012 wrote:
To grvy,

I have an ice wizard also and I believe I know how taunt works. But for my myth and her minotaur minion, even though he was the one using taunt on the opponents, my myth was still the one getting the brunt of the opponents' attacks. The minotaur would come out of the battle unscathed while my wizard would hardly have any health left. If I understand taunt, the spell is to bring the one using it to be the object of the attackers' attention. Right?
well here's the thing ... if you do over 1,000 damage, it wont really matter buuuuuuut if you use a mega subdue the enemy will be less likely to hit you! thank the mighty internet for wiki!

Survivor
Apr 07, 2012
You might want to get better clothes for accuracy and it just happens it randomly happens on monsters and you.

Survivor
Dec 03, 2011
fiziali on Jun 2, 2012 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. My storm is now at lvl 37 and I have to say that things are going a bit better. I still get some bad fizzle days but for the most part it's not so bad anymore. As for my minion, I've learned if I can get him up right away at the beginning of the fight, he is quite useful, but after only a few rounds of spells, it's pointless bringing him up. Still, he has come in handy in some boss fights that I would surely have lost without him.

I do have a question though for some of you storm wizards. I'm having a hard time coming up with a decent deck to play with. I can currently hold 40 cards in my deck with a max of 4 cards per spell. It's not a storm specific deck so I can't have a fifth card for those spells.

If someone could help me with building a decent deck to use, I would really appreciate it. I keep changing my deck around to see what works best, but it seems no matter what my deck is set up like, more often than not, the spells that come up are always up at the wrong time.

All my healing spells pop up at the beginning of the fight when I don't need them, and my damage spells come up after that, then my blades and traps and such. I mean it's not 100% of the time, but it's only occasionally that I actually get what I need when I need it.

I do have reshuffle, and I discard a lot and haven't had to use reshuffle yet. I am finding that if I take time before each fight to remove any unecessary spells (such as prisms when I'm going against fire and ice) that has helped a lot too, as I don't have to spend so much valuable time and rounds with discarding.

Also, how long can I be afk before I am disconnected for inactivity? It seems not very long. Any way around this, especially if I'm working a dungeon? It's kind of annoying if I take a break to go fix lunch or something, then come back to find I've been disconnected due to inactivity.
Fizali, By now you must be a pretty high level Storm. I currently have a level 72 storm and for "street fights" I use a starter deck with just 2 gargantuan's (learnt in the sun school in Celestia adds 225 damage to the hit), 2 tempest and 3 converts just in case I come in to a storm fight. I leave the healing up to my pet. Using Water Works gear (Sky scream hood, cape and boots) Lion King's Razor Claw (Crafted Athame level 66) and the Amythest Ring of Battle (Ring level 56) my damage is at 83% and a 6 pip Tempest is more than enough to kill the street fights in Zafaria, where I currently am questing. Using this gear I also have 22% accuracy rating across all schools which helps to lessen the amount of fizzling involved.

Whenever I go into boss fights, I go to my Deck of Intensity and put in:
3 Garg's (Will replace garg with Colossal when I get it)
1 Leviathan
2 Siren's
1 convert
2 storm traps
3 storm blades
2 Windstorms
1 reshuffle
3 elemental blades
2 elemental traps.
2 Pixie's

In both decks, my side deck, or tc deck, is filled with Treasure Card Elemental Blades bought from the Libraries around the Spiral. With this deck, I have never been let down by my cards. Whenever I face Myth, I also add storm dispels to stop them from casting a storm shield. The wand I use is always a Myth based wand to get rid of any Myth shields whilst I fight.

I hope this helps you with your deck.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2012
Well I think that it is normal for storm and fire wizards to fizzle early on. If you get clothing or snuff that improves accuracy, it won't be as big as a problem.

What ticks me off SO much is that these school's bosses fizzle like 10% of the time and it is hard to beat the harder ones. Just be patient and don't give up! I have a balance and death guy so I don't have that problem.

Charles Battlefinder Lvl. 32 Balance

Survivor
Jul 29, 2010
I have a lvl 64 Storm, and she (no matter what, will always be my first and favorite character). She does fizzle ALOT. She didnt fizzle as much when she was a lower lvl, for me anyways. But now, seriously, why hasnt this been fixed. As for the storm minion, no idea why I put it back in my deck, but it has healed me once or twice but other then that doesnt last long.

Really KI? Alittle twicking is all that is needed.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2010
GT5Beast on Jan 1, 2013 wrote:
Well I think that it is normal for storm and fire wizards to fizzle early on. If you get clothing or snuff that improves accuracy, it won't be as big as a problem.

What ticks me off SO much is that these school's bosses fizzle like 10% of the time and it is hard to beat the harder ones. Just be patient and don't give up! I have a balance and death guy so I don't have that problem.

Charles Battlefinder Lvl. 32 Balance
Even as you lvl up, its a hassel to keep your treasure cards full of accuracy cards when those spaces could be used for other spell cards that will help in battle. My lv 64 Storm student, she rarely fizzled in the beginning and now she fizzles most of the darn time. Even with really good stats and treasure cards to help! Its annoying when you are all set up to distroy your enemy and your spell fizzles again and again and again (and so on). Then the enemy/boss beats you! Seriously?!?!?!?!?!

Survivor
May 03, 2012
keelingclay on May 29, 2012 wrote:
hey bro i feel you. i'm a level 70 storm wizard and lemme tell you it doesnt get any better. soon you'll get a blade that will help you not fizzle but for the most part expect to fizzle alot. also to get your life up check the bazaar constantly for new gear. really you just need to take the minion guy out of your deck. i soon realized it was a waste of pips. use a storm shark instead.
Best of luck
Connor Griffin Stalker
Lvl 70
See ya in the spirial
i kevinstormsword i storm and i fizzle 2 much cause its 70%

Survivor
May 30, 2011
fiziali on May 29, 2012 wrote:
I just recently started playing this game and I have to say the game itself is awesome and I love the way it's set up, but I'm having a real problem with spells fizzling as often as they do. I made a storm wizard, and the damage spells say they have a seventy percent rate of accuracy for casting, but I'm finding it to be closer to a seventy percent fizzle rate, especially on my bigger spells. Something is very wrong with this picture. If the accuracy rate is lower then it should state a lower accuracy rate on the spell.

These damage spells take three to four pips to cast, and by the time I am able to cast them I've taken a lot of damage, and I really need these spells to go off. I really think this needs to be addressed.

In addition to that, the minion continuously spams heals on himself even when he's not taking damage. I'm standing there with literally 100 health and in need of heals, and he's standing there healing himself when he hasn't even taunted yet. I think until he has cast that first taunt, his heals should not go to himself but to another party member who needs it, since he's not taking damage anyways.

If it weren't for the frustration these issues cause, I would actually be totally enjoying this game. Please, please, do something about this. I can't play like this, and I probably won't renew my subscription again in July if it hasn't been fixed. If I can't enjoy the game there is no point paying to play. As I stated, the actual game setup is awesome, but the fizzle rate is just too horrendous to really get to enjoy the game to it's fullest.
I am storm level 20 and I have noticed that the storm snake is the one that is the real fizzling problem.

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
In the world of probability, there exists two primary factions; experimental probability, and theoretical probability. quick lesson for all of you who never went to high school, theoretical probability is the probability that something should happen, like for example that when i flip a coin, it has a 50% chance of heads and 50% chance of tails. Experimental probability is the probability that you arrive at after actually testing it; like how coins have a 100% chance of flipping the side i don't want. Recently, annoyed as many of the people on this topic are about storm fizzle rate, I did a test to find the experimental probability of storm fizzle rate. out of 1000 thunder snakes casted against zarathax in library archives (just picked him because he has a really sweet name) I hit him, over the course of about 150 fights, 463 times. This is with all my accuracy gear removed, casting it the exact same way without alteration. I don't know about all of you guys, but a 46.3% hit chance seems a little bit lower than it says on the card. Just to make sure, I repeated this test (just going to inform you that yes, i was doing other stuff at the same time, i have a life for the most part) and arrived at 496/1000 successful hits. if my math is correct, this becomes an experimental probability of only 47.95% hit chance. I thought about trying a third test, but decided as that would probably be total overkill, to just stay with this result. So therefore, according to the data i collected in this experiment, accuracy rate on storm feels even more important; although, hopefully, the theoretical probability is what decides your rate in the long run, so a 30% hit chance boost from gear/infallible or whatever else you people use, should still get you too the point of no fizzling. In short, you really do want/NEED to have a decent hit chance buff, since otherwise your going to be fizzling at WAY over 3/10's of the time.

-Michael Firebringer, 53 Storm Knight

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
1320Wraith on Jan 16, 2013 wrote:
In the world of probability, there exists two primary factions; experimental probability, and theoretical probability. quick lesson for all of you who never went to high school, theoretical probability is the probability that something should happen, like for example that when i flip a coin, it has a 50% chance of heads and 50% chance of tails. Experimental probability is the probability that you arrive at after actually testing it; like how coins have a 100% chance of flipping the side i don't want. Recently, annoyed as many of the people on this topic are about storm fizzle rate, I did a test to find the experimental probability of storm fizzle rate. out of 1000 thunder snakes casted against zarathax in library archives (just picked him because he has a really sweet name) I hit him, over the course of about 150 fights, 463 times. This is with all my accuracy gear removed, casting it the exact same way without alteration. I don't know about all of you guys, but a 46.3% hit chance seems a little bit lower than it says on the card. Just to make sure, I repeated this test (just going to inform you that yes, i was doing other stuff at the same time, i have a life for the most part) and arrived at 496/1000 successful hits. if my math is correct, this becomes an experimental probability of only 47.95% hit chance. I thought about trying a third test, but decided as that would probably be total overkill, to just stay with this result. So therefore, according to the data i collected in this experiment, accuracy rate on storm feels even more important; although, hopefully, the theoretical probability is what decides your rate in the long run, so a 30% hit chance boost from gear/infallible or whatever else you people use, should still get you too the point of no fizzling. In short, you really do want/NEED to have a decent hit chance buff, since otherwise your going to be fizzling at WAY over 3/10's of the time.

-Michael Firebringer, 53 Storm Knight
Heres the thing to many think of it as an over all number. That number on your card is the chance each time you try an use it. Has nothing to do with probability, 70% chance of cast simply means rolling a 100 sided die each time you try and cast it, If you roll under 70 it goes off if you roll over it fizzles. No need for einsteins theory of evolution just simply roll the dice.

Explorer
Mar 20, 2010
Dear Fizali,

I'm sorry that you have had this experience with your Storm character; it is quite the opposite with my own. She is lvl 53 currently, and had soloed all of the worlds without Crowns gear up to Malistaire, and only recently has been forced to ask for help in Celestia. She is my first wizard.

I probably just have good luck, and I also obsessively put together my deck for every single battle. Shear off any extra unneeded weight. Minions don't come in handy against mobs. And a word for the wise: put many, many shields in for boss fights.

Maybe your playing style is not the right fit for Storm, which is perfectly fine, but the school is not inherently unfit for PvE.

To other persons:

I love my minion! It saved my life many times, especially when fighting other storm opponents. It did not, however, prove useful until recently.

To other other persons:

Yes, I feel like I don't do anything and spend most of my time watching other people getting power pips and defeating things when I play in groups, but that's not what I do most of the time.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2012
Survivor
Jan 18, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 16, 2013 wrote:
Heres the thing to many think of it as an over all number. That number on your card is the chance each time you try an use it. Has nothing to do with probability, 70% chance of cast simply means rolling a 100 sided die each time you try and cast it, If you roll under 70 it goes off if you roll over it fizzles. No need for einsteins theory of evolution just simply roll the dice.
Mixed reference there. It's Einstein's theory of Relativity. Darwin did evolution, but that's neither here nor there.

As for the subject matter, I'm currently a Lv.25 Fire wiz, and I fizzle my fair share of spells. No real accuracy buff either, except maybe through Keen Eyes TCs. Granted it absolutely STINKS when both me and the boss are down to less than minimum damage on ANY (And I mean ANY) spell, and you have the initiative. You cast a spell only to see it fizz and the enemy's hit. All that work wasted. You just brush yourself off and try again, though. Anyway, that's my two bits on the matter.

Delver
Oct 30, 2011
Wow,you guys think storm fizzles a lot?I am a lvl 48 death wiz and i fizzled three wraiths in a row and the next battle five scarecrows.Now you should think storm doen't fizzle that much (that wasn't lie).

Tyler Legendfriend lvl 48 death
See ya in the spiral(if my prob gets fixed and dot ask what the problem is).