Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Young Morganthe is impossible to beat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 05, 2010
Hi! I was on Ghost Avalon in the dungeon, me and my friends fought her and every round, she uses woolly mammoth and defeats me and my friends. If any people have defeated her, can you please give me tips on how to beat her.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
brians5 wrote:
Hi! I was on Ghost Avalon in the dungeon, me and my friends fought her and every round, she uses woolly mammoth and defeats me and my friends. If any people have defeated her, can you please give me tips on how to beat her.

I have beaten her a few times with diverse groups so:

1) You need a healer or at least someone who can take the role of a healer. While this is not necessary it would really help.
- The other alternative is for everyone to heal him/herself when necessary

2) Raise your resistance. Overall resist if possible (I recommend WW gear of course and a double resist pet if you can). this applies for everyone in the party of course
- If not overall, at least ice resist. I think this is easier to do for elemental wizards.

3) Load your deck with attack spells lower than 7 pips. She will always use mana burn on you and take some of your pips if you get to 8 pips. so there is no points on having anything higher. This means you will need astral spells to boost up (gargantuan or colossal, amplify, vengeance, stuff like that...)

4) Do not shield or trap. this include stun shields. she will earthquake and nova for that.

5) All there is to do really is just spam those spells and heal. she will often alternate who she hits with those woolly so it gives you time to heal for a while and get back to hitting. Always use those pips to not let them get to 8 because not only only do you lose pips you also take unnecessary damage (since mana burn hits). This means that even if you don't find a sun spell to enhance an attack, or a blade: just hit or heal. Boosting up more than one or maybe 2 blades is a bad strategy here.

On a side note, this is the kind of fights where a pure healer is needed. I know someone healers prefer to hit and are quite good at it but let's be honest, in this fight a healer that loads up with mends, unicorns, and satyrs + a life bubble is much more useful. So if you can get that type of healer this will be super easy.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
You might be over reacting about impossible.I beat her my first time but I found out a few things i dont know if this works but after i did this she never attacked me with woolly mammoth.

1.Make sure your pips dont get to seven pips,even power pips no seven pips,so load your deck with low spells.

2.i bought a life henchman well it was helpful until she killed him,if you have the crowns get a life henchman!

3.be careful when to strike wait to use bigger spells than a one pip spell.

Those are my tips,good luck.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Survivor
May 03, 2009
To Nagashiki - that was very helpful. Time to give it a try.

Survivor
Aug 05, 2010
Survivor
Jul 13, 2011
Hi. I am a Myth Wizard and my friend, who is Ice, beat her although we both died once and had to navigate all the way back since there is no short cut. We figured out that you shouldn't shield and it seems to help if you have a blade up so blade and no shields. You'll want to have good resist. She casts myth, ice, death and balance spells and she does mammoth in multiples. I didn't try marking the location inside and I know you can't port back to your friend in battle so try marking inside in case you die and see if that works. It's possible to beat because we did it. She doesn't earth if you don't shield. She does cheat a lot, no doubt about it. It's a challenge! :D

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
brians5 wrote:

Hi Brians5

Nakashiki was right. Let me add a few more pointers:

- Bring lots of Melt. It's best to buy from the Library (WC, Krok, or Archivist in CL) rather than bazaar (may be cheaper but harder to come by). Everyone on your team should have several Ice Dispels in their side board.

- Bring an Ice Wizard who has lots of resist, who can cast the majority of the ice dispels as they would cost 1/2 that for another school wizard (or a wizard with ice mastery amulet).

- Bring a healer. The best would be a death wizard who has life mastery amulet, but that's just a suggestion. You just need a bunch of satyr and a bunch of death dispels as well.

- If you really want to try for a big hit and use feints, then be sure to have vaporize (myth dispel) and maybe even balance dispel. When you use a feint, she will usually cast earthquake which is always followed by a power nova.

Starting off, she will mammoth. With Melt at your fingertips (in the sideboard), everyone cast the dispel card early and then take turns ensuring there is 3 on her at all times.

Then just hit her with rank 4-6 pip cost attacks. Avoid higher pip costs spells as you put yourself at risk of her casting mana burn on you.

Heals oftentimes trigger her mammoth cheat, so whoever is healer needs to ensure ice dispel is on her before healing anybody. If she does cast mammoth, it is usually always likely to be the last person who got healed.

She changes strategies throughout the game, so if one thing you do doesn't trigger her mammoth cheat, don't be sure it won't next time.

IN summary:
Ice and death dispels are highly recommended, with the odd myth and balance dispel for good measured. No traps, shields, blades or auras.

Follow those simple rules, be good communicators as a team, and Young Morganthe will truly be a trouble-free and successful battle.

PS to the Healer: don't rebirth; the absorbs are viewed as shields and will trigger her cheat.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Destiny/Destiny SpiritGiver
Archmage Necromancer/Transcendent Theurgist & Sorcerer

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
i beat young morganthe without that i did shifs if one of us died we flee and come back

Survivor
Aug 03, 2011
Morganthe is that powerful? I better come up with a tone of strategies, or better yet, level up till I'm level 80. I also better plan ahead, maybe buy outfits that have major resistances.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
I am pretty sure she isnt impossible. Last time i checked, our team beat her.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Yea she can be beaten. I did it. It's just hard kill her and move on. I still don't know why she casts mammoth so much it seems so random.

Survivor
May 24, 2009
I'm sure a ton of people have already helped you with this but I just thought I'd share how I defeated her.

It was a bit harder for us since the dungeon requires four people to complete, or at least recommends four, but we only had three. I'm Life, and my friends were Life and Fire. The whole dungeon took us about two hours.

It would be wise to have all of your potions filled in case to have to flee and come back. Although you are able to run back within a certain period of time, it would be safer to mark your location inside the dungeon (yes, you can do that in this one) so you can return to your friends faster. Halfway through the battle, both of my friends fled and didn't have their spots marked. I had 29 health left when one returned. It was a close call, so try to return as fast as possible.

If, by chance you forget to mark your spot, refill your health and mana and head to the Teleporter Arch, the brownish one, next to the Spiral door. That takes you to the Catacombs where you can head through the Dungeon Cells and through the Crystal Caves. There were people standing by the dungeon and I immediately told them to not come in with me. I've accidentally made that mistake before and completely lost out on completing the dungeon. (Tower of the Helephant. Some kid who had the closed chat kept getting on the sigil with me and I ended up having to redo the dungeon. I still haven't completed it.) Also, if you rejoin the battle and have not marked your spot, there will most likely be a short time period where you are just standing in the circle before you are actually interacting in the fight. You can still mark your spot there.

When it comes to attack, don't bother trying to build up for big Leviathans or Ra attacks. I'm sure those of you have attempted her know that when you get to about five pips (regular pips or power pips) she uses Mana Burn and takes 80 per pip and you use three of your pips. The only way I was ever able to use Gnomes was when I got to that certain number of pips and cast the spell. Even if she uses Mana Burn, as long as you have cast the spell, it should attack regardless of how many pips you have. I had two power pips after she used Mana Burn on me and my Gnomes still worked. Same with Frostbite.

She is certainly not an easy fight, but she isn't impossible. It might take a long time, but slowly you can kill her. Like I said, try attacking every round, even if it is a Fire Cat or an Imp. We used spells that we would have used in Mooshu because she wouldn't allow big attacks that often, and attacking every round seemed to keep her calmed down for awhile. Small attacks are better than nothing. If you keep at it, eventually she'll die.

Blades seem to work alright and heals work sometimes. It can be hard to tell whether or not a heal will trigger her Mammoth cheat. A mistake we made was not having high Ice or Stun resistance. Stun Blocks, like shields, will trigger and Earthquake. Do not trap either. She does not like that. She also does not like wand attacks. At least she didn't when we used them. It would be smart to attack every round, if possible, because that seemed to hold back her Mammoth a bit (Melt would be a good spell to have). When we first started the battle she used Mammoth like three times and we were pretty much dead two minutes in.

Her moves seemed fairly easy to figure out. With knowledge of what she will do, the fight isn't all that hard. Sometimes spoilers about bosses will save you. Just do not give up. My dad was so frustrated that I wouldn't go to bed, but I was insisting that I finished the dungeon. Don't be discouraged. In short, have potions filled and spots marked. Have a wide range of attacks from small to big, and avoid all of the things that make her angry. Pretty much everything triggers her cheats.
(In case you are discouraged about her fight, the last boss of the dungeon is so so so much easier compared to her.)

Good luck! :D
- Brianna SpiritBreeze, Level 78 Life 8)

Survivor
Jan 17, 2012
One idea to have for a team is, at least 1 Life, 1 Ice, 1 Storm and 1 Balance. The Ice should carry many Melts and defenses in his deck, and the Storm is for doing high damage, and the Life is for obviously healing and the Balance is for setting up of course. If you can set up while doing strong attacks by the Storm wizard. I must say, she is not hard at all.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2009
No boss is impossible to defeat, it takes time to fight bosses like those. I defeated her easily.

Eric Nightshade Level 80 (Archmage Pyromancer)

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
Strategy that we have found that works for Young Morganthe:

1. Buy 2 pip melts from the bazaar or the ZF library.
2. Always have full potions and mark outside the dungeon (or inside, but outside always works.)
3. First turn, every member of your team casts 2 pip melts.
4. Then at your leisure, hit with colossal 4-6 pip single damage spells. If you don't have the pips to hit, pass.
5. (Optional): Use pet traps or pet blades which do not seem to trigger her cheats.
6. Death characters only: Since you would be hitting into 80% resist, Strangle (death dispels) are more helpful than hitting.
7. Heal if necessary, but no rebirths.
8. No auras, no blades (except pet), no traps (except pet), and no shields.

The fight should be pretty quick, she does not have an extremely high health.

Katherine Light has a really great guide here:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276463

Best of luck!

Survivor
Jan 20, 2011
brians5 wrote:

I haven't gotten to her yet

Explorer
May 10, 2009
Snowyandspots wrote:
Yea she can be beaten. I did it. It's just hard kill her and move on. I still don't know why she casts mammoth so much it seems so random.

Before you go to Avalon, Gamma says she tried to hit him with a mammoth. In the dungeon, as you know, you are Gamma.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
catman01 wrote:
Snowyandspots wrote:

Before you go to Avalon, Gamma says she tried to hit him with a mammoth. In the dungeon, as you know, you are Gamma.

Yea I was aware of that I ment I don't know what the trigger is for her mammoth spell cheat.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2009
Actually, i found Young Morganthe one of the easiest bosses in Avalon. Very simple. Here are a few tips my friend told me:
#1. Never let your pips go above 4
#2. Only include healing spells that heal yourself
#3. You cant fizzle (or she'll Mammoth you)
But mainly look at #1. My friends and I all followed that rule and did powerful tiny hits over and over again until she was defeated. The battle just zipped by with that stradegy. Also, if you end up dying (because even with the rules followed she Mammoths you) before you do Ghost Avalon make sure you mark your location at the sigil entrance! Have full potions so you can restore all your health and then teleport to your mark. Good Luck!!
Andrew ThunderBlade Archmage Diviner :D

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
atleon2 wrote:
Actually, i found Young Morganthe one of the easiest bosses in Avalon. Very simple. Here are a few tips my friend told me:
But mainly look at #1. My friends and I all followed that rule and did powerful tiny hits over and over again until she was defeated. The battle just zipped by with that stradegy. Also, if you end up dying (because even with the rules followed she Mammoths you) before you do Ghost Avalon make sure you mark your location at the sigil entrance! Have full potions so you can restore all your health and then teleport to your mark. Good Luck!!

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I'm not far away from enering Ghost Avalon and I'm really nervous. I've soloed about 95% of Avalon, not because I'm anti social but because there aren't many wizards on when I log into the game from here in Australia.
I've managed to defeat almost all the bosses with the help of henchmen but can someone tell me if Young Morganthe can be beaten with only yourself and henchmen?
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has defeated her with only henchmen to help. I'd also like to know which henchmen to buy and the best level henchmen.
I'd also like to know which is the best gear to have. I don't have ww and I'm still earning my legendary crafter badge. ATM I'm using the silver attire from the Majestic pack but I'm not really impressed with it's resit or damage stats.
Thanks
James Dreamwever lvl 79 Balance

Survivor
Jan 30, 2012
miffyboi wrote:
atleon2 wrote:

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I'm not far away from enering Ghost Avalon and I'm really nervous. I've soloed about 95% of Avalon, not because I'm anti social but because there aren't many wizards on when I log into the game from here in Australia.
I've managed to defeat almost all the bosses with the help of henchmen but can someone tell me if Young Morganthe can be beaten with only yourself and henchmen?
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has defeated her with only henchmen to help. I'd also like to know which henchmen to buy and the best level henchmen.
I'd also like to know which is the best gear to have. I don't have ww and I'm still earning my legendary crafter badge. ATM I'm using the silver attire from the Majestic pack but I'm not really impressed with it's resit or damage stats.
Thanks

James, not sure if you've done this yet, but thought I'd share that I've just complete Morganthe on my own with henchmen. I tried about 20 times with different combinations and kept getting killed, but I managed it yesterday with a level 80 Balance, Ice and Fire in that order. Sure I had to replace them a couple of times so it was quite expensive, but well worth it! One tip, concentrate on healing yourself the whole time, leave your henchmen to cast spells. Oh, one last thing, just keep your fingers crossed that you don't get mammothed the whole time.

good luck

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Manatee2012 wrote:
miffyboi wrote:
atleon2 wrote:

Hi
Thanks

James, not sure if you've done this yet, but thought I'd share that I've just complete Morganthe on my own with henchmen. I tried about 20 times with different combinations and kept getting killed, but I managed it yesterday with a level 80 Balance, Ice and Fire in that order. Sure I had to replace them a couple of times so it was quite expensive, but well worth it! One tip, concentrate on healing yourself the whole time, leave your henchmen to cast spells. Oh, one last thing, just keep your fingers crossed that you don't get mammothed the whole time.

good luck

Thanks for the great advice! It's great to get some tips from someone who, like me,relies on henchmen. I will certainly use you advice and make sure I am well equipt with availing hands and other healing spells. Can I just ask if you also used henchmen to battle the four Balance knights and Sir Pike De Lago?
James Dreamweaver

Survivor
Jan 30, 2012
miffyboi wrote:
Manatee2012 wrote:
miffyboi wrote:
atleon2 wrote:

Hi
Thanks

good luck

Thanks for the great advice! It's great to get some tips from someone who, like me,relies on henchmen. I will certainly use you advice and make sure I am well equipt with availing hands and other healing spells. Can I just ask if you also used henchmen to battle the four Balance knights and Sir Pike De Lago?
James Dreamweaver

Hi James, yes I did, I tend to mix them up with balance, usually in a fight like this I'll use level 70 henchmen, I like Storm, Fire and Life as a good mix, these tend to work ok on balance. With Sir Pike I think I used two level 70 fire and a level 70 life. Good Luck.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2012
when i beat young morganthe i had healers and alot of treasure cards :)

Michael Stormblade lvl 79 storm :)