Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Which pets to level and those not to.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
May 31, 2009
I have been leveling and deleteing pets for a long time in the game now and wanted to share my advice to those thinking about leveling a pet.
I have leveled Crown pets and pets drop from Bosses, to those you just buy for gold in the shop. I have found that any pet below the pedigree of 50 is not really worth spending time with. I have a lot of the new pets that are drops from the Krinn Packs and the other packs Pedigree in the 40's. None that i leveled came out giving me much of anything I could use in fighting.
Hatching them? I have tried this also and after several hatches they still do not improve. Only the higher Pedigrees will give you anything worth keeping and then maybe you might have to hatch them to improve some.
My new Death Scarecrow pet I am hatching at this time because his traits were not what I looked for in a pet but it is comming around.
I can see the same problem with the Myth Frog pet, it to will take a few hatches to get the right traits i need for fighting. But at their high level of pedigree and having to hatch to get them better just think what the lower pedigrees will give and how hard they will be to improve. My best pet so far was an accident by game. It gave me a storm collosus with a Blade flurry and Pips increase and Punch or damage. Now this is a pet. I dont need spritely, just Damage, Pips and Blades and I am ready for the fight. I still believe the game slipped up on my storm and fire pet because they came from Hatchlings the way they needed to be. This rarely happens if it happens at all. I consider myself lucky.
When I hatch with my storm or fire the pets hatch and show the bad traits and not the good. So I just dont hatch with my storm anymore or my fire.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2011
I totally disagree. I am training a Firecat and trying to get them up to atleast 60 pedagree. I saw a person with a Firecat with 82 pedagree. And it had Spritely, Unicorn, Peirce train, and a epic talent. If you put the time and gold you can get a great pet.

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
just deleted my fifth Balance pet, the drop you get from Life Oni. All five started out giving traits no good for fighting. Surprising is that these are crown pets.
I guess if you wanted to take all your life hatching and hatching and hatching generation after generation you would probably get a decent pet from any pedigree but I am an old person I dont have years to develope a pet.
If they dont give me what i look for on first level of leveling I delete.After all these pets are suppose to give the player power when they fight. Or was the game wrong to say this.
I say put the pet where your mouth is.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
Almost every crown pet I've bought and attempted to breed has failed.. They should not open selfish talents when you pay real money for them... You pay for a better pet but for me they have all been worse than dropped pets. In my opinion packs from retail outlets seem to open the best talents.. No one wants to spend money and time to level a bought pet who opens selfish talents. People will say spent the time and money to breed with others to get what you want but this even hasn't worked for me I get a replica of my own pet. So I bought a walmart pack for storm char and it opened all the may cast talents so far and I have one more to go... WIN... But what i wanted was the 14k crown storm hound i bought to open good talents but it opened all selfish and one may cast storm blade. After breeding it several times all selfish talents manifested. I feel like I wasted lots of money on this. So I assume either you think its worth the gamble or you do not. this all determines weather you take the time to do it or not.
Plus taking a pet out of you bank taking your energy is fail that is a money racket....

Darkblood1 wrote:
just deleted my fifth Balance pet, the drop you get from Life Oni. All five started out giving traits no good for fighting. Surprising is that these are crown pets.
I guess if you wanted to take all your life hatching and hatching and hatching generation after generation you would probably get a decent pet from any pedigree but I am an old person I dont have years to develope a pet.
If they dont give me what i look for on first level of leveling I delete.After all these pets are suppose to give the player power when they fight. Or was the game wrong to say this.
I say put the pet where your mouth is.