Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is t time for a Balance shield?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 13, 2011
Shouldn’t the Balance school be included in new additions/expansions?Advanced pets/first gen maycast talents
Housing/level 18 quest reward
New gear/Zafaria amulets
Hoard packs/Foo Dog
Damage bubbles/Red Ghost, Brown spider
Gardening and Crafting/TC options

If more universal debuffs are being added to add challenges to all players, shouldn’t Balance have an equally effective way of dealing with them?Virulent plague
Legion shield
Efreet
Power nova
Death ninja pig
Obsidian colossus
Cat thug

Wouldn’t the addition of any native way for Balance to deal with universal debuffs increase the need for a Balance damage specific debuff?

Isn’t “The Magic of Balance is harmony and finding equality in all things.”?

If this is true for gear and mobs then why wouldn’t it also be true for spells?

Wouldn’t the addition of Balance damage specific spells such as a blade, trap and shield be part of and allow the correction of the above issues?

Shouldn’t the Balance school treat all of its damage types with equality to be balanced?

***Note: this isn’t a question of stopping Balance damage, it’s a question of freeing Balance up for advancement with the rest of the spiral.***

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Not that you can't post another thread, but there are already four posts on most of these same subjects and are still current (not closed or necroed).

Defender
Nov 18, 2011
i agree i feel weak i got lower level people doing cooler spells then me aslo i dont have crowns sadly i not making a new one cuz this took me 2 months

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
LadyHagan wrote:
Shouldn’t the Balance school be included in new additions/expansions?Advanced pets/first gen maycast talents
New gear/Zafaria amulets
Hoard packs/Foo Dog

If more universal debuffs are being added to add challenges to all players, shouldn’t Balance have an equally effective way of dealing with them?Virulent plague
Legion shield
Efreet
Power nova
Death ninja pig
Obsidian colossus
Cat thug

Wouldn’t the addition of any native way for Balance to deal with universal debuffs increase the need for a Balance damage specific debuff?

Wouldn’t the addition of Balance damage specific spells such as a blade, trap and shield be part of and allow the correction of the above issues?

Shouldn’t the Balance school treat all of its damage types with equality to be balanced?

***Note: this isn’t a question of stopping Balance damage, it’s a question of freeing Balance up for advancement with the rest of the spiral.***
Um...Good idea????

Survivor
Jul 05, 2011

I am so opposed to the idea of a Balance shield, it isn't even amusing. Balance is the "polyfiller", the "glue" between all the schools. Its the essence of equilibrium itself and that.. thats unavoidable. Even Death itself follows the Balance of the Spiral.

Balance CAN be remarkably powerful, but by and large, a Sorcerer needs other people in a team to be truly efficient. This isn't the case with the majority of the other schools, Life withstanding.

Part of what makes Balance school so fun is it's unique-ness. Part of that uniqueness is an exchange of damage-power for versatility. By adding a balance shield, you're basically reducing Balance school-players to be little more than buffers/debuffers. Sorcerers need that extra edge to keep Balance school.. well.. Balanced with the Other schools!

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
well if i read your post correctly you have a debuff as well- power nova.
you shouldnt feel weak you have judgement
and to get rid of others schools debuffs use sandstorm

i sorry i dont know if i read it right. but if i did read it wrong then there are some tips

Survivor
Jun 13, 2011
kingurz wrote:
Not that you can't post another thread, but there are already four posts on most of these same subjects and are still current (not closed or necroed).

Those threads are more about holding Balance or more to the point Judgement back. This thread is about moving the school forward and including the school in all of the updates, additions and expansions.

Panitaeo wrote:

Balance is the "polyfiller", the "glue" between all the schools. Its the essence of equilibrium itself and that.. thats unavoidable
~~~
Part of that uniqueness is an exchange of damage-power for versatility
~~~
Sorcerers need that extra edge to keep Balance school.. well.. Balanced with the Other schools!

Its also a question of keeping the Balance school balanced within itself, so how would adding the ability to buff Balance damage as the school can already buff the elemental and spirit damages within the school take away from our versatility?

fastgold202 wrote:

you shouldnt feel weak you have judgement
and to get rid of others schools debuffs use sandstorm

When Wizard101 was young there was a wide spread and common use of feint because it could buff any school damage. As the game has progressed that use has become more situational, the main reasons for this the increased fragility of feint as a universal buff and subject to the increasing number of universal debuffs as well as the increased variation and availability of school specific buffs.

So while other damage types have increased there school specific buffing ability while Balance damage has had its buffing ability decrease in viability due to the increased fragility. At this rate it’s only a matter of time until Balance damage is rendered as obsolete as Power Play.

We can stand back and continue to exclude Balance from new additions and expansions to Wizard101 while the damage type is rendered obsolete or we can accept such new additions and growth in the school understanding that they bring the school more into balance not only with itself but with other schools as well.

Remember, this isn’t about holding the damage type back or saying that the damage type is under and or over powered, it’s about freeing the Balance school up to be included with new advancements with the rest of the schools as Wizard101 progresses.

Defender
Nov 18, 2011
colas857 wrote:
i agree i feel weak i got lower level people doing cooler spells then me aslo i dont have crowns sadly i not making a new one cuz this took me 2 months
i changed my mind i do feel strong xd

Survivor
May 01, 2011
How about a 4 or 5 drop that works like spectral blast only with life, death, myth damage? i mean considering the fact that we lack a 5 drop spell and that spirit blades and traps are utterly useless to us till lvl 68 when we get yet another expensive shield ripper.

Now when i say utterly useless, think about this. we dont get any spells that deal life death or myth damage till lvl 68 and unless you are high enough lvl to go farm for mastery amulets you have spend around 20 bucks for one in the crowns shop.

Another idea might be giving balance a dot. if only to aid in the clearing of tower shields. ( i am anti treasure cards so please leave that out of your debates on this issue). for cheating is no measure of skill, and yes when you can simply dump a spell for a more useful one on the spot rather than tuning your deck right. it is called cheating.

lets leave the "oh well KI needs them to make money" thing out of this please. its simply not true and is foolish to think otherwise considering that all treasure cards are gotten threw drops, crafted, or paid for with in game gold. (Gasp! )

Ok back to the topic at hand.

storm can remove charms and myth can remove wards. fire can steal charms ice can steal wards. if we cant have access to suck abilities why not hook it up with a dispel that can auto fizz there next spell cast regardless of school type? that would actualy balance out really well when considering a wand spell can clear it.

How about a pip theft spell? spend 3 pips to steal 5 from my enemy? sounds good to me, and since myth has the ability to remove all charms and wards from all opponents effectivly shattering an entire teams strategy, i dont think that would be to over powered. but since balance works in 3's how bout a spell that removes a charm a ward and a power pip from one opponent?

Another thought. why not hook it with a new minion spell that works like our elemtal minion only giving us a life death or myth minion? or maybe tweeking our mander minion a bit? like maybe have it gain in rank when we hit certin lvl caps making it smarter and with a bit more health.

To be honest i would prefer a inexpensive to cast dot over anything els. primarily due to the face that there is a balance shield in the game. its name is tower shield and is the bane of judgement.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
LadyHagan wrote:
New gear/Zafaria amulets
Hoard packs/Foo Dog

Legion shield
Efreet
Power nova
Death ninja pig
Obsidian colossus
Cat thug

Um...Good idea????
I don't think that would be right... That's what makes balance special! But hey. It's not a bad idea, but I think that destroys the purpose of balance.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Good job bringing this thread over here, though I do have a few comments.

1. This post isn't nearly as explanatory as the one on central (maybe copy past it?)

2. The people on this forum aren't willing to accept that (even less then the ones on central.) The ones that will made that decision for holding balance back, not promoting it.

Delver
Sep 20, 2009
Balance itself isn't a really strong school. The strongest we can play is probably Chimera, Ra, or Judgement. The only charms we have are Bladestorm, Balance Blade, and Hex. Those add up to +75%. Most other schools have way more then three charms, and sometimes they add up too massive amounts.
e.g. Storm has Storm Blade, Storm Trap, Darkwind, etc., etc. which all add up to way more then 100% like most other schools.
Balance's purpose is to "turn the tide of battles" and "balancing out a battle" like Balance has Elemental and Spiritual Blade and Trap that other schools can buy with training points and use, and if they don't have it, Balance can give it to them, and Balance charms are all around-the-world boosts. Each school has it's own purpose, like Life is to help heal, Storm is to help damage opponents, and Myth is to summon minions to aid in battle, etc. So I think Balance is pretty well right now, and so are the other schools. I'm mostly concerned about the health levels right now, because Ice used to be the highest, but now Life and Balance and some other schools, even Storm are starting to catch up.

Explorer
Apr 27, 2011
DouDou123 wrote:
Balance itself isn't a really strong school. The strongest we can play is probably Chimera, Ra, or Judgement. The only charms we have are Bladestorm, Balance Blade, and Hex. Those add up to +75%. Most other schools have way more then three charms, and sometimes they add up too massive amounts.
e.g. Storm has Storm Blade, Storm Trap, Darkwind, etc., etc. which all add up to way more then 100% like most other schools.
Balance's purpose is to "turn the tide of battles" and "balancing out a battle" like Balance has Elemental and Spiritual Blade and Trap that other schools can buy with training points and use, and if they don't have it, Balance can give it to them, and Balance charms are all around-the-world boosts. Each school has it's own purpose, like Life is to help heal, Storm is to help damage opponents, and Myth is to summon minions to aid in battle, etc. So I think Balance is pretty well right now, and so are the other schools. I'm mostly concerned about the health levels right now, because Ice used to be the highest, but now Life and Balance and some other schools, even Storm are starting to catch up.

Storm is absolutely not even close to other schools' health.

We are still stuck in 2,000's health range.... My Balance is lvl62 and he has 3,500 health, my lvl70 Storm is not even near close to that amount of health.

On damage, Storm has the damage so does everyone else... Ice with blades and traps can just do about same damage as Storm, yet Ice get high health and high resistance.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
DouDou123 wrote:

Storm blade = 30% storm trap = 25% windstorm =20% darkwind =25%

Balance blade = 25% hex =30% bladestorm = 20%
If balance only attack

If Hydra, Chimera, or Spectral Blast is used: Add another
25% elemental or spiritual trap, 35% elemental or spiritual blade

Balance can also choose betten different types of attacks.

Question is, why did you choose storm to compare Balance too? When storm is the one school that does have the most traps and blades, because it is the only school close to the amount of blades and traps that Balance has?

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
LadyHagan wrote:
New gear/Zafaria amulets
Hoard packs/Foo Dog

Legion shield
Efreet
Power nova
Death ninja pig
Obsidian colossus
Cat thug

super nova is balance and they have a couple universal debuffs.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2011
The Balance schools specialty is diversity, this can be easily seen in the Balance, Elemental and Spirit damage themed spells.

Does a Death damage wand always deliver a drain attack?
Does a Fire damage wand always deliver a DOT attack?
Does a Myth damage wand always deliver a double hit attack?

No, of course not, these are the specialties of the schools and not the damage type.

If even wand blasts from all of the core damage types (Fire, Ice, Storm, Myth, Life, Death and Balance) are specifically resisted by mobs bosses and gear, and 6 out of 7 of those damage types are also specifically resisted by wards, why would Balance damage be the only one that shouldn’t also be specifically resisted by wards?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
LadyHagan wrote:
why would Balance damage be the only one that shouldn’t also be specifically resisted by wards?

Because KI implemented that as a specialty for Balance. Everyone else has to contend with school and universal wards, Balance only has to deal with universal wards.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
LadyHagan Quote:

"Shouldn’t the Balance school be included in new additions/expansions?
Advanced pets/first gen maycast talents
New gear/Zafaria amulets
Hoard packs/Foo Dog
Gardening and Crafting/TC options"

My Reply, Balance has been included in all additions and expansions.
The item that many miss, is that each school only gets certain items,
to keep everything in Balance. Life and Storm will most likely not get
an low DOT spell, as it would overpower them. Same will Balance, it will
not get a Low DOT spells, as it has Judgement, which can do awesome one
hit damage. Each spell that is released, has to keep everything in Balance.
-------------------------------

"If more universal debuffs are being added to add challenges to all players,
shouldn’t Balance have an equally effective way of dealing with them?

Virulent plague
Legion shield
Efreet
Power nova
Death ninja pig
Obsidian colossus
Cat thug"

My Reply, No they should not, as that is what makes Balance what it is.
Each Wizard has it's flaws, just as stated in the above reply posting.
Death has no low level AOE, and no boosting aura...
Life has no low level AOE, and no easy way to remove shields and no aura for hits.
Balance has no easy way to remove shields, no DOT, no hit aura, etc.
Ice can really only remove multiple shields with a 5 pip spell.
Storm, has not low AOE that is not a X hit, no easy way to remove shields, etc.

You can see that each Wizard is set up a certain way, with Certain limitation.
If you give Balance ways to deal with these items, you have taken away the
limitations of Balance, and in so doing this you have completely altered the
Balance of the Wizards. Balance has multiple strenghts but also multiple weakness.
Perfect example is Storm, High Damage, but Low Health, no way to remove shields.
Life, High health, super high heals, no way to deal with shields, and average damage.
---------------------------------

"addition of any native way for Balance to deal with universal debuffs
increase the need for a Balance damage specific debuff?"

My Reply: imo, that is what secondary schools are all about. No we don't have
all the utility spells of Fire, no we can't do what Myth can do, but we do have
the option of the Amulets to get around the issue to some degree. This is what
makes W101 so much fun, figuring out how to do certain thing, to get around certain
limitations. It's almost like a battle of wits, you against what KI is giving you,
you against what the other Wizards are doing. Play style, stratergies, new idea of
what combinations to use, different turtle styles, using or not using dispells, etc.
-----------------------------------

"Isn’t “The Magic of Balance is harmony and finding equality in all things.”?"

My Reply, and I think that Balance does a great job of that. It has Hydra and spectral
Blast on one side, and a much larger spell Chimera on the other side. The pivot point
of Balance is a third set of spells, hard to block, called Balance.
So think of this, you have three Spirit Wizards, three Elemental Wizards, and one
very special Balance Wizard. Who's special Balance spells are hard to stop, and
can only be stopped by the Tower shield.
-------------------------------------

"If this is true for gear and mobs then why wouldn’t it also be true for spells?"

My Reply, Balance is Balanced, two small Elemental spells on one side, one larger
spirit spell on the other side, perfect Balance. The pivot point is the Balance
spells. I see Balance, as Balanced as it can be.
--------------------------------------

"Wouldn’t the addition of Balance damage specific spells such as a blade,
trap and shield be part of and allow the correction of the above issues?"

My Reply, it would unbalance the Balance Wizard, and make it just a Life, Death, etc,
wizard. No longer being Balanced, now the Balance part is way too strong, as it
has way too much boost and damage. Now we add a shield to counter, and the Balance
wizard is gone. No longer here, but in it's place a new Wizard stands.
The delicate Balance of Flaws is now changed, and the schools are unbalanced.
--------------------------------------

"Shouldn’t the Balance school treat all of its damage types with equality to be balanced?"

My Rely, it is Balanced, and I think many miss this point of Flaws in what each Wizard can do.
The Balance Blades are seldom kept long enought to use, they are usually wanded away.
Balance has to use a pip for tri-blades, so it has real limitation, and has to have some
real luck to be able to use it's Balance Blades. They are great for handing off to friends
in group play, but not so good in 1v1. So if you really look at all the Pros and Cons of the spells,
the damage they can do, it is a unqiue balance, but it is Balanced.
---------------------------------------

***Note: this isn’t a question of stopping Balance damage, it’s a question of
freeing Balance up for advancement with the rest of the spiral.***

My Reply, Once you change Balance, you have destoyed what is unique about this wizard.
Yes it has limitation, yes it is hard to play in 1v1, yes it's different from all other wizards.
I see freeing up Balance, as the greatest damage that could be done to this Wizard.

Once of the key complaints on Balance is the damage that Judge can do with Feints, and Armor peircing.
Well, has anyone run into a fully bladed Efreet or storm spell, into a Feint, with Infallible?
Plus KI can now control exactly how much Armor peircing they can give each Wizard, it's listed with our
other gear values. So, KI controls this, and they will give each wizard what they need to keep it
Balanced.
------------------------------------------

So, in summary, please don't destory Balance with Blades, traps and shields, they are simply
not needed for this Wizard.

Just how I see it,
Joe.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
We ALREADY have A balance shield. Its called Tower Shield.

Sorry to disagree with you Wizardgirl1840, but the Tower Shield is not a Balance School shield. It is Ice. Granted any school can use it.

But when I comes right down to the wire, there is NO Balance School specific SHIELD or even Trap for that matter. Yes, I know Balance has the Hex trap (useable by any school), but when you look at the other schools it does seem that Balance is on the short end of the stick for some of these things.

When balance wizards battle mobs from other schools, we have a defense (50%) to a degree from the elemental and spirit shields. The same is true with the Tower Shield (50%). ALL of the other schools have an 80% shield against their own school. Balance school DOES NOT have a School specific shield at 80% against its own school.

The same scenario holds true for balance in regards to traps. Ok, I know what a few of you are going to say because of the elemental and spirit traps. All of those traps can be buffed up with Hex, Curse, Feint. Big deal. Yes, we have Hydra (fire, ice, storm) that we are able to use as a multi-school spell. I have not loaded this spell for a long time. We don't have a balance spell that works the same way for the spirit traps. So what good are the spirit traps where balance is concerned.

Balance has a hard time defending itself against its own school more times than not. WHY? Because more times than not, when we face a balance mob, we are spammed with Judgement and Sandstorm or Swarm. Judgement is spammed more than any other balance spell from mobs. Occasionally one of the mob may use hydra, but not all that often. But, as I already said, Balance does not have a shield at 80% against its own school.

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
No no no no no no no! Balance only has a couple really good spells. You can shield Chimera, Hydra, so that takes 2 from us, and, we have to save up for judge which takes us like 50 rounds, and ra and nova and attack all spells, so, we cant use them in 1v1 if we want to waste our pips. So, no, balance should NOT have a shield.

Defender
May 29, 2011
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
We ALREADY have A balance shield. Its called Tower Shield.

That is not a balance-only shield, which is what she wants.

Defender
May 29, 2011
I get what your saying, but your forgetting something.

1.What comes with a balance shield, must come a balance trap, what comes with balance trap, must come a balance blade.

2.And if all these things were made, how would a balance-only blade and trap work on things like spectral blast,hydra,chimera?

3.What I aslso dont get is that kingsisle puts in balance resist ( not talking about universal resist ) but not a balance shield. What I also dont get is how balance has there own dispel.

4.Even if there was a balance shield, you know only balance would get the spell right?( besides tc )

5.It could be:

Balance shield: 3 pips, 50% shield to all schools AND balance.

Mycin legenddreamer

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
Let a real Balance student answer some questions:
Shouldn’t the Balance school be included in new additions/expansions?
Sure. I'm all for getting some new stuff. Maybe a Hydra hoard or something. I don't know. Not much of a hoard person personally but I do like good Balacne stuff.

If more universal debuffs are being added to add challenges to all players, shouldn’t Balance have an equally effective way of dealing with them?
Yeah, that would be cool. It's always annoying at the very last second at low level worlds when Bang! Elemental shield or Bang! Absorb. I can imagine what higher levels are feeling.

Theoretically. In my mind (and apparently yours) a way to get around a universal debuff would mean a Balance debuff would be more nessecary. Remember, if any of these ideas happen then you will one day be facing them as a Npc character.

Well, that's what the textbooks say. I wouldn't use those words exactly, but Balance is supposed to be uh... Balanced, and that it is. Decent damage, decent health, decent minions (they come in handy alot, I couldn't solo without Mander), plus all the traps and blades and stuff. Were really the all around school. Kind of Balancing out the game.

Uh... good point there..... Wait, where are you going with this question? Where are you going with that. I'm not I like where this is going. Can it go somewhere else?

So that's where you were going with that. Uh... no. Balance has either a blade for other schools or an all school blade, and it has both now. This is due to the fact that we really do relie on a good secondary, and are commonly recruited as a blade jockey for groups. Plus all our high damage spells do a lot of damage from other schools. It wouldn't exactly make sense to have a Balance only blade. It would still be a Balance Blade and that would just confuse everybody.

Uh, I don't really get that question. What do you mean by that? If you mean doing the same damage with all other school spells, then no. I just hope it's Storm, and blade and trap for all three with Spectral Blast. Sometimes the other schools work better though. If you mean using all the schools in our attacks then yes, that would be pretty sweet.

Now as for the topic of a Balance Shield (as you mentioned in the topic), I do not want to see one, I do not want one, and it would be a useless item. First of all, this would make life very annoying versus balance opponents, as they keep using them, but were not going to use our school on a Balance opponent. Plus if an Ice enemy has one, and we use Ice as a secondary, then how do we attack? Can't use Balance, Can't use Ice, they probably have a Fire shield. So no, no balance shield.
Hope I added to the conversation.