Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hisashiburi ne!

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
The title means ‘Long time no see’, but I’ll get to that later. A while ago, I posted a thread about the importance of spelling and grammar. It was closed with a final word by Prof. Greyrose, saying I had neglected the fact that this Forum has access to international players. I’ll admit she made a good point, but now I’m left wondering, are there any active members of the Forum from a country whose official language isn’t English? If you fit the description, please post here.

Tristan Lionheart, Lvl. 60
Kieran Swiftspear, Lvl. 60
Valerian Stormcrafter, Lvl. 45
Sloan Nightbringer, Lvl. 35
Oran Legendweaver, Lvl. 20
Iridian Redflame, Lvl. 10

Oh, wait! I’m not done yet. As you can probably tell from the title, I’ve decided to come back to the Forum. I realized shortly after I made my decision to leave that it was a bad one made out of indignation, but I felt I had to stick with it to prove some naysayers wrong. Of course by doing that, I did just what someone told me I shouldn't do: giving others power over me. I’m taking it back now, and I don’t intend on giving it up so easily from now on. I know my coming back comes as no surprise to those naysayers; to them I say, 'Okay, I did come back. You were right. Do you want a cookie?' What can I say? I missed this place too much.

Now to close, I want to say some things that I neglected to say before and will say now:

1. To set the record straight, I didn’t leave because of anyone in particular, nor did I leave because I couldn’t "take what I dish out". Believe me, I’ve been doing that for a long time and I’m very good at it. What I won’t tolerate is being berated all the time for something I’m innocent of. Being accused of insulting people on a daily basis by a complete stranger (both in the Forum and in real life) was just the push that sent me over the edge.
2. I don’t believe I, or anyone else for that matter, should be held responsible for the way that others perceive their writing. I tend to be dry and literal when I write, but how is it my fault that certain people take this as being judgmental and callous? I’m sorry, but that’s just my writing style. I’m an aspiring dancer, not an aspiring writer.
3. I realize there’s a difference between being a congenial critic and a derisive detractor, and I do try my best not to cross that line. If my best isn’t good enough for you, oh well.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I thought I saw a post a while ago about someone being from Germany...

I understand that people don't always write correctely. But it is a kid's game some of the posters aren't very old, or are still in school and you can't expect to type as neatly as you do. I myself know a lot of vocabulary but I don't try to use it because I like people to understand everything i'm saying.

But to be honest I think you have to have some understanding to people who speak english even if it isn't their first language. English is my first language, but I also speak a few other languages and I know for sure that i'm not correct in my speaking like at all in those languages lol. And I think people can respect that i'm trying to learn and understand that i'm not very good at the new language so they don't try to be completely on every mistake I make and certainly they wouldn't try to say anything like "Oh you should speak more proper spanish because your not very good at it" just would seem rude is all, so my opinion on this is that you have to understand that not everyone will know a langauge or have the writing skills you have.

And good luck with your dancing.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I’m sorry, but that’s just my writing style. I’m an aspiring dancer, not an aspiring writer.

Absolutely. Even beyond the international issue you brought up, this game is for all ages 10 and up. A 10 year old kid will not have the writing ability of a college level graduate and shouldn't be berated for it either. Simple grammer or spelling errors are unlikely to block conceptual ideas. However, all should strive to be as clear and concise within the limits of their writing ability. What's the point in posting to the forums if no one can understand your post at all? It's the really bad ones that need work and I think the moderators get most of those anyways.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
hey i am a gaijin in japan so it was nice to see your aisatsu (introduction). if you play from japan let me know as it is hard for me to find friends who play at the same hours i do. i am cole shadowbane.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Welcome back!

I would like to state when I have questioned you or objected to a point you have made we sorted things out nicely. You always responded back and at have even apologized to me. I misunderstood something you posted and you clarified it for me. It was me not you. I think folks need to just be polite and not post in anger. I know I have stuck my foot in my mouth on occasion. It is very easy to read more into something written here.

Please feel free to correct me as much as you want. :) I fear it will be a full time job. My only excuses are an old tired brain with lots distractions and very poor typing skills.

As others have said, sometimes I can tell the posters are young and others I can tell are International players, some though just use text type on these forums and others. I must admit it bugs me a lot. But, I expect they will continue doing it. Some too just don't care.

Megan

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:

thorvon65, you are correct. I happen to have a player on my friends list that is from Germany, also one from Jamacia and the UK. Although many of them do speak English, They do occasionally accidentally miss spell a word or two. But then again, we all do that from time to time. Non of us are perfect and it is likely to happen if we are in a hurry to finish something.

Not only that, in some cases as in the UK, different words are used for some activities that can be confusing. For instance, my friend from the Uk was running with one of my wizards and I knew that her husband had been ill. When I asked her how he was feeling, she made the comment that he was feeling much better and that he was "sweeping the lawn". My reaction was "Doing What?" lol. When we got the wording difference worked out, she was telling me that he was "raking" the lawn.

So PLEASE, everyone, just because there are others that are different or it may be a younger person posting or even one of us OLDER persons, we all make mistakes.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
The title means ‘Long time no see’, but I’ll get to that later. A while ago, I posted a thread about the importance of spelling and grammar. It was closed with a final word by Prof. Greyrose, saying I had neglected the fact that this Forum has access to international players. I’ll admit she made a good point, but now I’m left wondering, are there any active members of the Forum from a country whose official language isn’t English? If you fit the description, please post here.

Tristan Lionheart, Lvl. 60
Kieran Swiftspear, Lvl. 60
Valerian Stormcrafter, Lvl. 45
Sloan Nightbringer, Lvl. 35
Oran Legendweaver, Lvl. 20
Iridian Redflame, Lvl. 10

Oh, wait! I’m not done yet. As you can probably tell from the title, I’ve decided to come back to the Forum. I realized shortly after I made my decision to leave that it was a bad one made out of indignation, but I felt I had to stick with it to prove some naysayers wrong. Of course by doing that, I did just what someone told me I shouldn't do: giving others power over me. I’m taking it back now, and I don’t intend on giving it up so easily from now on. I know my coming back comes as no surprise to those naysayers; to them I say, 'Okay, I did come back. You were right. Do you want a cookie?' What can I say? I missed this place too much.

Now to close, I want to say some things that I neglected to say before and will say now:

1. To set the record straight, I didn’t leave because of anyone in particular, nor did I leave because I couldn’t "take what I dish out". Believe me, I’ve been doing that for a long time and I’m very good at it. What I won’t tolerate is being berated all the time for something I’m innocent of. Being accused of insulting people on a daily basis by a complete stranger (both in the Forum and in real life) was just the push that sent me over the edge.
2. I don’t believe I, or anyone else for that matter, should be held responsible for the way that others perceive their writing. I tend to be dry and literal when I write, but how is it my fault that certain people take this as being judgmental and callous? I’m sorry, but that’s just my writing style. I’m an aspiring dancer, not an aspiring writer.
3. I realize there’s a difference between being a congenial critic and a derisive detractor, and I do try my best not to cross that line. If my best isn’t good enough for you, oh well.

Glad you've decided to come back. Of course, I'm going to continue to read the boards, but I won't physically be on the boards any longer.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

thorvon65, you are correct. I happen to have a player on my friends list that is from Germany, also one from Jamacia and the UK. Although many of them do speak English, They do occasionally accidentally miss spell a word or two. But then again, we all do that from time to time. Non of us are perfect and it is likely to happen if we are in a hurry to finish something.

Not only that, in some cases as in the UK, different words are used for some activities that can be confusing. For instance, my friend from the Uk was running with one of my wizards and I knew that her husband had been ill. When I asked her how he was feeling, she made the comment that he was feeling much better and that he was "sweeping the lawn". My reaction was "Doing What?" lol. When we got the wording difference worked out, she was telling me that he was "raking" the lawn.

So PLEASE, everyone, just because there are others that are different or it may be a younger person posting or even one of us OLDER persons, we all make mistakes.

I bet at least 50% of the people on the boards just neglect good spelling and grammar rather than what you've posted here.... although you have some good points. I just do not see most players coming from places other than the United States.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Hello and welcome back! well, besides a lot of comma splicing, i think my grammar isn't too bad. however, i read and post from a cellphone using t9 word or multi-tap. i try to make sure everything is ok as i go along, but i do miss the occasional mistake. however, in posting, i do have a time limit before having to retype my entire message. so, my apologies in advance, my messages aren't perfect. thank you for your patience with me. -etherchaos

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:

I understand that people don't always write correctely. But it is a kid's game some of the posters aren't very old, or are still in school and you can't expect to type as neatly as you do. I myself know a lot of vocabulary but I don't try to use it because I like people to understand everything i'm saying.

But to be honest I think you have to have some understanding to people who speak english even if it isn't their first language. English is my first language, but I also speak a few other languages and I know for sure that i'm not correct in my speaking like at all in those languages lol. And I think people can respect that i'm trying to learn and understand that i'm not very good at the new language so they don't try to be completely on every mistake I make and certainly they wouldn't try to say anything like "Oh you should speak more proper spanish because your not very good at it" just would seem rude is all, so my opinion on this is that you have to understand that not everyone will know a langauge or have the writing skills you have.

I speak a few languages besides English as well, and I guess it's just the fact that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to languages, and I'd rather someone tell me any mistake I'm making with the language I'm trying to speak, that I do the same with others regardless of whether they speak English as a first language or not. However, I've realized that as much as I feel I should correct some of the foolery I see in the Forum, it's better to just let it go. That's why I've stopped doing it. I hope that made sense.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Nagafar wrote:
hey i am a gaijin in japan so it was nice to see your aisatsu (introduction). if you play from japan let me know as it is hard for me to find friends who play at the same hours i do. i am cole shadowbane.

Arigato! Gomen, watashi wa amerika de sumimasu.

I hope that made sense. I've been neglecting my Japanese lately because I'm brushing up on my Chinese, which I haven't worked on in ages.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Welcome back!

I would like to state when I have questioned you or objected to a point you have made we sorted things out nicely. You always responded back and at have even apologized to me. I misunderstood something you posted and you clarified it for me. It was me not you. I think folks need to just be polite and not post in anger. I know I have stuck my foot in my mouth on occasion. It is very easy to read more into something written here.

Please feel free to correct me as much as you want. :) I fear it will be a full time job. My only excuses are an old tired brain with lots distractions and very poor typing skills.

As others have said, sometimes I can tell the posters are young and others I can tell are International players, some though just use text type on these forums and others. I must admit it bugs me a lot. But, I expect they will continue doing it. Some too just don't care.

Megan

This is exactly what upset me in the first place. I know I tend to be a bit too passionate when responding, but if I see someone's been negatively affected by what I've said, I'll prove I have a conscience and apologize. I usually go even farther than that and will explain my point in a more civil manner. To have someone I've hardly talked to in this Forum completely disregard that and accuse me of such a depraved thing was devastating and humiliating. She told me in her last message to me, "If you don't like what I said in my reply to you then ignore me, don't read my threads, and generally avoid communicating with me here." That's exactly what I intend to do, and I can only hope she does the same. I wish her and her family the best, but at the risk of being moderated, I'll honestly say I hope I never have to see her username again. I don't say that on a daily basis, do I?

*sigh* I'm sorry for venting, but I'm just still so shocked and angry that this happened. Anyway, I think I'll hang up my Grammar Enforcer's cap for the time being for the reasons you mentioned. Besides there's not much to correct with your posts, contrary to what you might think, but I'll let you know if I see any major spelling and/or grammar offenses.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
etherchaos wrote:
Hello and welcome back! well, besides a lot of comma splicing, i think my grammar isn't too bad. however, i read and post from a cellphone using t9 word or multi-tap. i try to make sure everything is ok as i go along, but i do miss the occasional mistake. however, in posting, i do have a time limit before having to retype my entire message. so, my apologies in advance, my messages aren't perfect. thank you for your patience with me. -etherchaos

Thanks, it's great to be back. I totally get where you're coming from; when I can't get to my laptop I usually use my cellphone to see what's going on in the Forum. It's part of the reason I was looking for a phone with a QWERTY keyboard and didn't just get a touch phone like everyone else I know. For posting from a phone, your grammar isn't bad at all. The only thing I see has been neglected is capitalization, which is hardly worth mentioning since it went out of style when text messaging became popular.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Welcome back!

Megan

This is exactly what upset me in the first place. I know I tend to be a bit too passionate when responding, but if I see someone's been negatively affected by what I've said, I'll prove I have a conscience and apologize. I usually go even farther than that and will explain my point in a more civil manner. To have someone I've hardly talked to in this Forum completely disregard that and accuse me of such a depraved thing was devastating and humiliating. She told me in her last message to me, "If you don't like what I said in my reply to you then ignore me, don't read my threads, and generally avoid communicating with me here." That's exactly what I intend to do, and I can only hope she does the same. I wish her and her family the best, but at the risk of being moderated, I'll honestly say I hope I never have to see her username again. I don't say that on a daily basis, do I?

*sigh* I'm sorry for venting, but I'm just still so shocked and angry that this happened. Anyway, I think I'll hang up my Grammar Enforcer's cap for the time being for the reasons you mentioned. Besides there's not much to correct with your posts, contrary to what you might think, but I'll let you know if I see any major spelling and/or grammar offenses.

Well please do keep posting. I tend to be blunt! LOL That can get me on occasion. Real life has taught me to speak plainly. For what is worth I know we both spend a great deal of time editing our posts.

Their is a difference between passionate and angry speech IMO. I really don't think of anger in your posts. We simply disagreed and sorted it out. We ended up explaining more to each other or agreeing to disagree. Ignoring is a wonderful skill to learn. I am still working on it. Sometimes, I sigh and move on.

I feel we became friends through our exchanges. I am rambling so I will sign off.

Megan

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
etherchaos wrote:
Thanks, it's great to be back. I totally get where you're coming from; when I can't get to my laptop I usually use my cellphone to see what's going on in the Forum. It's part of the reason I was looking for a phone with a QWERTY keyboard and didn't just get a touch phone like everyone else I know. For posting from a phone, your grammar isn't bad at all. The only thing I see has been neglected is capitalization, which is hardly worth mentioning since it went out of style when text messaging became popular.
lol it's funny that you mentioned about the capitalization cause i was just thinking about that. I really wish my phone would capitalize for me after periods, but that's what i get for being el cheap-o with my phone selection. it's sad i spend more money on this game than i do on my phone. i apologize if this is getting off topic. Please, let's get back to hearing from any other players from different countries. -etherchaos (i try to stay on topic, i really do...)

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
[Well please do keep posting. I tend to be blunt! LOL That can get me on occasion. Real life has taught me to speak plainly. For what is worth I know we both spend a great deal of time editing our posts.

Their is a difference between passionate and angry speech IMO. I really don't think of anger in your posts. We simply disagreed and sorted it out. We ended up explaining more to each other or agreeing to disagree. Ignoring is a wonderful skill to learn. I am still working on it. Sometimes, I sigh and move on.

I feel we became friends through our exchanges. I am rambling so I will sign off.

Megan

Oh, I will. I don't intend on leaving again any time soon. It does make me feel self-conscious that I spend so much time editing my posts, so that does mean a lot. Yes, there is a difference between anger and passion (and I thought an educator of the English language would know that, but I guess I thought wrong), and I appreciate that you recognize that I don't incessantly reply with anger. Ignoring is a skill everyone should learn; it's the reason why I'm in the situation I'm in, but what annoys me is when people try to tell others how to ignore when they don't know how to ignore! That's why I usually don't advise people to.

The feeling is definitely mutual

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

I speak a few languages besides English as well, and I guess it's just the fact that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to languages, and I'd rather someone tell me any mistake I'm making with the language I'm trying to speak, that I do the same with others regardless of whether they speak English as a first language or not. However, I've realized that as much as I feel I should correct some of the foolery I see in the Forum, it's better to just let it go. That's why I've stopped doing it. I hope that made sense.

Oh ya I completely understand where you are coming from. And some people just like doing that and it isn't a problem. Lol I have completely given up on speaking Italian because my grandma will find every little mistake I make even when i'm trying to speak the language to someone else she will try to say try acting while your speaking add an accent or any little thing. It gets annoying at times but it helps with what I do already know about the language.

Defender
May 21, 2009
Keijiban e yōkoso! Watashi wa subete no (watashi wa Google hon'yaku BTW o shiyō shite imasu) de nihongo o hanasanaiga, watashi wa sono kūru de wa Nippon no u~izādo o sanshō shite kudasai to omou. Watashi wa mata, Nippon bunka ga daisukidesu. Mō hitotsu wa, watashi wa watashi no Wizard 101 ni chatto de kon'nichiha ya arigatō no yōna kihon-tekina kotoba o tsukau no ga daisukidesu. Watashi wa sore ga kūruda to omou!

クリストファージェイドブレード
レベル60神業
水道の戦士

I'll post this in English again if anybody else really wants to read and doesn't want to go on to Google Translate.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:
Oh ya I completely understand where you are coming from. And some people just like doing that and it isn't a problem. Lol I have completely given up on speaking Italian because my grandma will find every little mistake I make even when i'm trying to speak the language to someone else she will try to say try acting while your speaking add an accent or any little thing. It gets annoying at times but it helps with what I do already know about the language.

Interesting; I never had a problem with the Romance languages. I actually got into Chinese and Japanese because the only other language my HS offered was Spanish, and the Romance languages aren't interesting to me because they're too easy for me and there's no money in learning them. What annoys me is Russian! All the genders and conjugations (which are actually the things I get rather quickly) that seem to have evolved out of nowhere...if the language made sense, I'd make the effort to learn it.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

Interesting; I never had a problem with the Romance languages. I actually got into Chinese and Japanese because the only other language my HS offered was Spanish, and the Romance languages aren't interesting to me because they're too easy for me and there's no money in learning them. What annoys me is Russian! All the genders and conjugations (which are actually the things I get rather quickly) that seem to have evolved out of nowhere...if the language made sense, I'd make the effort to learn it.

Russian is originated from slavic languages. Slavic languages where the Indo European Slavic groups like the barbarian groups and all of those people in eastern and central Europe. Russia is the far eastern slavic language and it really evolved into different languages. I myself am of German descent and I can trace my last name and stuff to Russian Areas. And the thing is English actually evolved from some of these slavic languages. Which is why if your a native english speaker you can actually pick on the German Language very easily, just like the romance languages slavic languages are intertwined. But yea no Doubt russian is really the sore thumb of the group because trying to read russian is impossible lol. I remember when i was in my WW2 studies I found some old Russian war time posters and there were numbers in the letterings just in the middle I was like is that a joke or is that supposed to be there? lol

Survivor
Dec 24, 2009
I think most people that play this game, have there first ;anguage as english, although i know that some are spanish/portuguese/japanese/chinese. (I have friends who's first language are such and play this game.)

Although, I myself am only 13 years old, and the game is rated, E10+, and many 10 year olds don't write to well. Most of them probably aren't on the forums, but you still shouldn't be getting on someone just because of that. I am 13, and I don't even know one of the words you said. (I think it was berated?) And even at that, I am one of the top people in my class, and my class is the one class that is ABOVE advanced, which is Scholars Class. So especially if people are in normal comp classes and around my age or less, you shouldn't expect them to always use correct grammar and spelling. Also, I know that when many people are not in school they tend to slop.

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
Nagafar wrote:

Hey, I know you, you are my friend in game!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
jeffrey22359910112... wrote:
I think most people that play this game, have there first ;anguage as english, although i know that some are spanish/portuguese/japanese/chinese. (I have friends who's first language are such and play this game.)

Although, I myself am only 13 years old, and the game is rated, E10+, and many 10 year olds don't write to well. Most of them probably aren't on the forums, but you still shouldn't be getting on someone just because of that. I am 13, and I don't even know one of the words you said. (I think it was berated?) And even at that, I am one of the top people in my class, and my class is the one class that is ABOVE advanced, which is Scholars Class. So especially if people are in normal comp classes and around my age or less, you shouldn't expect them to always use correct grammar and spelling. Also, I know that when many people are not in school they tend to slop.

I obviously need to add some things to the original post. Anyway, I don't expect people to use correct spelling and grammar anymore. The main focus of this post was to find international players that post regularly in this Forum. Now I have my own theory on advanced placement classes , but this is not the place or the time. I will just say that it seems weird that a 13-year-old taking such an advanced class doesn't know a word like 'berate', but that's just me. By the way:

be·rate- /biˈrāt/ verb ; to scold or criticize (someone) angrily

Survivor
Mar 30, 2010
I was born and have lived in Norway my whole life, and I am bilingual. I speak German, and Spanish as well as my language, which is of course, English.

Sincerely Storm,

Lauren, A.K.A, Destiny Mistwalker