Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 9-24-10

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi folks! It's that time again...

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, we'd like to get your opinion on lower level wizards teleporting to friends in higher level areas. On one hand, it's a nice way to let those who are not as far along in the game get a peek-see at new sights, and even get an extra jump on earning experience. However, it does take it's toll when a level 5 Wizard jumps into a fight with you in, say, Dragonspyre, which is obviously over their heads and bring extra monsters to the fight and leaves you with the mess to clean up. Not fun.

So, please weigh in. Should wizards be able to teleport into world that they haven't earned access to through the storyline?

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
No I don't think wizards should be allowed to teleport to worlds they have not earned. That's part of the fun of the game, to earn advancement to a new world.

Survivor
Dec 08, 2008
Professor Falmea wrote:

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

This week, we'd like to get your opinion on lower level wizards teleporting to friends in higher level areas. On one hand, it's a nice way to let those who are not as far along in the game get a peek-see at new sights, and even get an extra jump on earning experience. However, it does take it's toll when a level 5 Wizard jumps into a fight with you in, say, Dragonspyre, which is obviously over their heads and bring extra monsters to the fight and leaves you with the mess to clean up. Not fun.

So, please weigh in. Should wizards be able to teleport into world that they haven't earned access to through the storyline?

Well a bunch of my fellow wizards have talked about this before. I do not think that they sould be allowed to venture into areas they are not ready for yet. I had to ask for help a few times with a lvl 48 school quest to get to the area, I think thats ok. But for the ones that "annoy" you while battling high lvl monsters, port in with others then jump into a fight they have no business jumping into they are just asking f or trouble in more ways than one.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
No way! The word here is EARNED! Too many things are handed just for being alive. Many have read whining about not being able to do things because you don't have a paid membership or whatever. EARN some money and pay for it. Those of us who have earned the right to be somewhere don't really want it cluttered up with people who have no right to be there/are just checking it out anyway. Have some respect for those of us who deserve to be there. JMHO.

Survivor
May 27, 2010
I think things are fine as they are.

As a side, I found gaining access to new worlds as I progressed through the levels more satisfying then if everything had been open. They were a kind of milestone in my achievements. (as a young wizard)

:)

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
I think they should be allowed to, but if they don't have a key to that world, they get VERY minimal (maybe 1%) experience points for anything they do. For example, for a quest that would normally give 2800 experience points, they would get 28. This would probably deter them from going there to 'power level', which in my opinion takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

Rogan Firehammer

Survivor
Jan 04, 2010
yes! personally i just cant Level up my newbies without getting them in labyrinth katz lab tree of life and many other paces instead of doing side quests plz KI dont change that!

Gabriel deathforge:50 Death
Devin DragonThistle:50 Life
Christopher SKullRider:50 Storm
Malorn StrongHeart:38 Fire
Jose HexBlade:21 Balance

Defender
May 30, 2009
Personally I don't see a problem with it. It DOES get very annoying at times but I finish the battle and either change areas or switch realms. I play with allot of friends and family and I am not always on one of my Grand characters. If one of them should need help I just teleport to their location, help, then go back to what I was doing. I don't always like it when I'm joined by a lower level but they have paid for the game as much as I have and have every right to access any area they please.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Explorer
Jul 06, 2009
Professor Falmea wrote:

I agree with everything you said about Porting, I really think Lower level Wizards should ask first. I know it is a bother, some think they can just buy Treasure cards to fight with, forgetting that Dragonspyre characters can take them out with one spell. They need to know how to increase their Health and mana thru their outfit as well.

Sometimes I can't even go to Wizard City Commons without 3-4 Friend requests from levels 10 and under, then, I don't ever hear from them again. My list is full of people that I hardly ever see. I hope they don't feel bad if I delete them for a higher level Wizard.

I really hate to spoil their fun although it is annoying. If you would make DragonSpyre, Marleybone off lights perhaps that would help. I know when I was just learning some friends were really helpful while others were as clueless as I was.
Destiny Shadow Friend
Monica Strong Blood
Jenna Owl Dust

Survivor
Nov 15, 2009
Well Professor Falmea,

I wont mind if low level Wizards can port to Celestia just to have a look on what they will expect to fight after they unlock it but only in case of not being able to enter into battles, only just to watch (something like locking their battle abilities in Celestia world if they are under Level 50 or 48 ) :D . If this cant happen then I am somehow against it as after entering the battlefield they will bring extra monsters which they will not be able to help fight them . So it is a big NO in that case. :?
Now in case of a Level 48 Wizards, they may come in handy as they may help the Wizards who fight in Celestia World as they have their full Spells.

All the best and may our wands never fizzle.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2009
My thoughts on the world lock:
It is unwise to remove an ability from the game because many players begin to rely on it. So adding a world lock on the current worlds is a bad idea. However you could make a world lock on all the new worlds. If you do decide to make a world lock on Celestia and the following worlds they must be released with the lock. If Celestia and the following worlds do not have a lock when release, like the current worlds, it would be unwise to add them retroactively.

I really don't care weather or not you make one or not but if you decide to have one it must be there when Celestia is released.

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
Yes with some changes.

I would like to see the mark spot feature, side quests, and drops all tied to the Spiral Key. If you don't hold a key you cannot mark spot, get side quests or get drops (amulets, pets, rings, athames,hats, boots or robes). Have XP and gold at the same level as the highest Spiral Key a wizard holds . This allows porting to see the world, gives some benefits. But, keeps the best benefits off limits until you actually get there and are powerful enough to do it alone.

Another idea is the lower level person has to be with a friend (that holds a Spiral Key to the area) and can only fight if their friend is engaged in a battle with them.

What annoys me is when lower level wizards port in mark a spot and return over and over to farm or they get side quests to level up faster in higher level worlds. Both of those can be done in a wizards current world, just not as fast.

I am sad it has come to this point.

Megan F
Megan D

Survivor
Apr 05, 2009
No, i do not think that wizards should be able to port to areas that they cannot access through play. While it does give players a little peek at what is coming, the problems they cause by bringing in extra monsters, and having to listen to them constantly beg for help outweigh any benefits. In my opinion, they should have to earn their way into the higher levels just like everyone else.

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
I dont really mind if there is a lower lever player in the fight. I had friends that were ahead of me and i would teleport and help them. I think that there should be limits though. Like you said a level 5 player in DS would be nothing but a nuisance. Maybe you can only teleport one world ahead? for instance if you are in Wizard city you could help in Krok but not Marelybone or higher.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
Professor Falmea wrote:

But then your friends couldn't help you if they didn't make it to there yet. I would hate that. I would never win anything without help.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I vote a resounding no. Though I personally have no qualms with those wanting to help their friends via porting, the problem arises from those who abuse the ability and cause problems for others. Some type of restriction needs to be imposed. You don't even have to take away the porting;many viable solutions have been suggested. Since you seem unaware of the numerous threads on this issue, I will list several possible solutions to the problem:

1) Increase threat- Several mmorpg's address this issue by increasing threat to lower levels. The bigger the difference in level,the more the mobs will redirect their ire toward the lower levels who enter combat. With the thought of impending doom,most lower levels would think twice before joining combat.
2) No exp/drops- take away the exp/drops gained from these areas,most people who don't belong there would probably not go there as much.
3)Non-combat- Simply take away the ability to enter combat for anyone who does not have proper access to an area via quest progression/spiral keys.

There are many possible solutions. Something needs to be done.Ignoring a problem doesn't solve anything,it makes matters worse. And up till now,admins silence on this issue has been deafening.

Defender
Feb 09, 2009
if they jump in a fight and flee, the monster they brought into the fight should do so as well.
if they want to see the sites, fine but ghost them so they do not interfere with those that should be there. there are just as much places to level or gain exp on each world with out having to go to an upper level.
sorry, but i am guilty of taking low level players to an upper level. so i say ghost them so they don't get into fights or interfere in any other way.
:D

Defender
Feb 09, 2009
also i want to thank you, for these feedback fridays. good to hear from the people.

Survivor
Mar 06, 2009
well what you should do is when the try to teleport give us a box thats says:
Do you want "Name of character" level "whatever" to teleport to you?
that is a great response i think :D

Survivor
Aug 11, 2010
I think it would be ok and to be able to pick up the quests in the area. My sons have more time on the computer than I usually do so they are a higher level.

But then ofcorse it would mess up the story line.

I don't know either way. I might lean toward not letting them go to an area where they are not allowed at that time in the story line.

Which by the way I like the storyline so far.

Not thrilled about how the pets level up I think they should get expereince with you as you fight then maybe have them take a test or something to level. other wise having some pets with you is kind of useless in less it's a mount.

That's my opinion. Hope it helps.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
no cause what if the higher wizards dont wanna have low people joining in say like dragonspyre or mooshu :?

Stephanie fairydust grandmaster diviner

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
It really depends. There could be no porting if you didn't unlock it, but that would be unfair to families. So, you could have it when a person clicks to teleport, it sends a little message to YOU saying.. Can (name here), (level here) (maybe school here) teleport to you at this moment? Yes, maybe rephrase that, but that's the idea. UNLESS, you click on certain people you don't care if they port to you, so there is NO question.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
i think it is ok, it doesnt bother me at all to be visited by lower level wizards. it happens often enough, that my grand gets called into areas i havent played through yet to help. if it was blocked i couldnt go there. and as a grand i am actually helping.
i think as long as you are subbed or unlocked an area with crowns, you should be able to go everywhere. (only exceptions are those towers and dungeons you cant port in, and thats fine with me)

savannah

Survivor
Aug 20, 2010
This is a very hot topic for some wizards among the community. As an avid player with multiple accounts I've seen certain areas fill up with lower level wizards and 45+ wizards yell "foul!" However, it really goes both ways. Yes having a low level wizard join your fight in DS can be annoying sometimes because their health/spell deck isn't quite ready to handle the mobs but think about what would happen if Kingsisle started incorporating "world locks" as many users have implied.

Being a family based game suddenly families and friends would be torn apart. The daughter with her level 14 wizard wouldn't be able to pop in and see what dear old dad at level 36 was doing in Mooshu. Is that the message that KI wants to send to their players?

Or think about this scenario, you (lvl 47) are in DS soloing a boss and are about to die, your life wizard friend (lvl 28) has 6 spells that he can port in and keep you alive with, however being a lower level and not having access to that area yet he isn't allowed to port because of a world lock.

It's a very sensitive subject to have to discuss, personally I can see both sides of the story. In the game we are told to quest for Spiral Keys to unlock the door to certain worlds only to find out we can simply port and check out the worlds just the same. Seems kinda unfair, no?

Personally I don't mind lower level wizards running around in higher level areas. So they bring in one more bad guy, big deal. By this time I've learned enough strategy and have enough notches in my belt that one extra bad guy isn't going to tip the scales.

I hope whatever KI decides on this matter they think about the effects it will have on ALL wizards, families, friends, young, and old.