Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Final dungeon is everything wrong with this game.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2014
2
Dr Von on Sep 8, 2014 wrote:
actually, it does make sense.

things wrong with the game:

1) horrible drop rates
2) condones elitist attitudes
3) a one-size-must-fit-all methodology
4) an unnecessarily-drawn-out slogfest

and this instance is all of them. but perhaps said instance is not the only thing at fault. perhaps it's a combination of things:

-previous instances of the same nature
-devolution from self-sufficiency to dependence on others
-having to do research for a game that's supposed to be fun
-lack of time required
-derisive, snarky attitudes from people on the boards

i loved dragonspyre, and i soloed everything through avalon (exceptions were spiral geographic archives, nastrond, waterworks, and mirror lake- which were done with only one other person). it was 'challenging', but still doable by a casual solo player; i never felt underleveled and disadvantaged, and the story still had substance enough that, even if i was underleveled, i would still want to complete it.

everything after that, save for avalon, has just been... blah. it's boring, it's tedious. and, frankly, i have better ways to waste 8 hours that do not involve me sitting in front of a computer all day looking for a group.

(forget team up- my time-zone and playable hours do not benefit from it whatsoever)

for many of us, the frustration, fatigue, and mental exhaustion are real. if this is really a game, then why does it feel so much like work?

-v.
XD you are really funny! if it feels like work...why you playing it then in the first place,and you already got so far into the game and now you complain...wizard 101 is the best game i ever played on computer and i know there is a lot of people who agrees with me.....KI did a great job building this game....

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
lol, i have been gone for almost 3 months and this thread is still going.

@oran boomweaver~ yes, i am quite funny; i'm also witty, charming, and more awesome than you (or anyone else) will ever be. you're welcome.



@lettup~ just because *you* don't have to plan everything 2 weeks in advance doesn't mean that's true of everyone. at the time of the op, i was many, many hours apart from my closest questing buddies (who have since left the game as well); therefore i did not have the luxury of them being available at the drop of a hat, because priorities.

(when you are an adult and have to pay for your own internet access, you will understand that free time is not free~ work and social obligations must come first, before you can finally take what precious little is left for yourself)

also, if you paid any attention whatsoever to the original post, you would have noticed that 1) it was made before team up was a thing, and 2) the best gear at the time of the op is obviously not the best gear now.

i'm getting a bit tired of people putting words in my mouth or twisting them to suit whatever agenda they're trying to push. asking that the mainline quests be doable by everyone (casual players included) is not the same as saying "nerf it all"; by all means, keep the hardcore stuff in, but leave it to those who have the time and energy for it; don't make it mandatory for basic quest progression is all i have ever asked.

-von "i used up all my sick days, so i'm calling in burnt-out" shadowsong

Survivor
Jul 26, 2014
4
i'm not at khrysalis yet and how much health does morganthe have? btw is she a mancer?

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
41
amberblue50 on Feb 8, 2015 wrote:
i'm not at khrysalis yet and how much health does morganthe have? btw is she a mancer?
There is 4 of them. For more information check here.
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Creature:Morganthe_%28Death%29

Back on topic. Yep Dr. Von you summed up a lot of my feelings also.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
240
As Strother Martin said in 'Cool Hand Luke', "What we got here, is failure...to communicate." I think many here have different definitions of 'fun'. I also think many have different definitions of 'casual player', 'hardcore player', 'easy', 'difficult', 'family friendly', and many other terms that I've seen get thrown around on these boards, especially in relation to difficulty levels. And that's ok, we aren't going to agree on everything, that's just human nature. What saddens me is when I see people sneering at others who claim things are difficult. Scoffing, 'oh that's easy I did Khrysalis in a day.' And then in the same breath saying they love a challenge. My friends, if you did an entire realm in a day how was it a challenge? Would you prefer it took you 2 days? Or a week? And what about everyone else who doesn't have the time, energy and patience to farm for gear, acquire reagents to craft gear and things like that. Because they don't fit into your narrow minded view of what is easy or hard are their complaints and feelings not relevant? I freely admit I have 1 Wizard now stuck on the stupid Tree Roots in Khrysalis and another about to be. I'm not complaining about it, I'm just doing other stuff. I try once a day with each Wizard to team up and have had no success. I either can't find anyone, or I find people who flee before the fight's over. That's disheartening. And what really bothers me is that the people by and large who CLAIM that everything is so easy, and say that people should shut up and get better really don't offer help or any constructive advice...just bashing, sneering and scoffing, which really puts me off. You should be ashamed of yourselves. This is a community. Try acting like members of one for a change. Out.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
valdushawkflame on Feb 14, 2015 wrote:
As Strother Martin said in 'Cool Hand Luke', "What we got here, is failure...to communicate." I think many here have different definitions of 'fun'. I also think many have different definitions of 'casual player', 'hardcore player', 'easy', 'difficult', 'family friendly', and many other terms that I've seen get thrown around on these boards, especially in relation to difficulty levels. And that's ok, we aren't going to agree on everything, that's just human nature. What saddens me is when I see people sneering at others who claim things are difficult. Scoffing, 'oh that's easy I did Khrysalis in a day.' And then in the same breath saying they love a challenge. My friends, if you did an entire realm in a day how was it a challenge? Would you prefer it took you 2 days? Or a week? And what about everyone else who doesn't have the time, energy and patience to farm for gear, acquire reagents to craft gear and things like that. Because they don't fit into your narrow minded view of what is easy or hard are their complaints and feelings not relevant? I freely admit I have 1 Wizard now stuck on the stupid Tree Roots in Khrysalis and another about to be. I'm not complaining about it, I'm just doing other stuff. I try once a day with each Wizard to team up and have had no success. I either can't find anyone, or I find people who flee before the fight's over. That's disheartening. And what really bothers me is that the people by and large who CLAIM that everything is so easy, and say that people should shut up and get better really don't offer help or any constructive advice...just bashing, sneering and scoffing, which really puts me off. You should be ashamed of yourselves. This is a community. Try acting like members of one for a change. Out.
very well-said, valdushawkflame.

i have noticed as well that 95 percent of the people claiming things are so 'easy' do not offer any constructive advice to those of us who may be struggling.

i have been told, 'get better gear'. which makes total sense, because casual players don't have the time, energy, or resources to farm for the aforementioned 'better gear'. i have 3 exalted wizards, all still in waterworks/crafted combos that have served them well for almost 40 levels, but anything less than the darkmoor elite gear will likely not suffice in the next few worlds.

(not to mention that, of course, i can afford to spend stupid amounts of time i don't have farming obsessively for gear that i will never see, with groups who will quit on me, assuming i can even find one to start with, because logic.)

my gear/pet/strategy are pretty good~ not perfect, but good enough that i should not be hanging on by the skin of my teeth. my biggest problem is finding teammates. and, once i do find 3 other people, the challenge is getting them to stay the course.

most of my experience with long, drawn-out cheat instances (i'll use castle darkmoor as an example) is 1) getting quit on straight out of the gate because we aren't the 'right' team, 2) a 2-hour slogfest with yev after one person drops out, then failing at shane repeatedly until my entire team rage-quits, and 3) half the team dropping out in the middle of the malistaire battle, leaving me to be tank, healer, and damage dealer all at once.



on a slightly-better note, i ran tartarus last night and, surprisingly, found a good group that did not quit on me. we were storm, death, ice, and balance (me), so ice tanked and kept us well-shielded while i buffed the other two (my deck consisted of stun blocks, blades, traps, a few heals, and reshuffle). we finished the instance in record time and, even though we got mostly junk, i got exactly what i came for.

(after nearly 18 months of farming, with no results, i gave up; i've long since abandoned any hope of seeing the gear, but i need the amber drops for my loremaster spell).

on that note, if you need help with the tree roots, my storm wizard is willing to lend herself to your cause (balance and death are both quite close as well, just in case you are storm).

-v.

Hero
Sep 07, 2011
761
Darkmoor and Tartarus are long, drawn out and cheaty. Morganthe is not. You don't need 1337 gear or any special tricks for her. Pick a hitter - whoever can do the most damage with an AoE. When you enter, that player should turn right and walk to the corner so as not to get pulled. Have your tank trigger the fight. Run in with the hitter last. Everyone cast one feint on one Morganthe. Then blade the hitter. By the fourth or fifth round you'll have more than enough power to take them all down with one attack.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
Gemma Luna on Feb 17, 2015 wrote:
Darkmoor and Tartarus are long, drawn out and cheaty. Morganthe is not. You don't need 1337 gear or any special tricks for her. Pick a hitter - whoever can do the most damage with an AoE. When you enter, that player should turn right and walk to the corner so as not to get pulled. Have your tank trigger the fight. Run in with the hitter last. Everyone cast one feint on one Morganthe. Then blade the hitter. By the fourth or fifth round you'll have more than enough power to take them all down with one attack.
easy in theory, not so much in practice.

i will agree that this is an easy instance, if you have an ideal team (hitter, healer, tank, support), as your theory assumes. but what about the people who have to rely on team up, who either don't have friends online or in-game at all?

i was lucky enough that i did have friends online at the time. but we were not a full team (there were only 3 of us) and, as it was a relatively-new instance at the time, there were no guides to follow along with.

i actually find tartarus easier than morganthe, because you don't need a specific/experienced team to complete it and, because i have accepted that i will never see any drops from it, it's a lot less stressful as well. this way, if i do somehow get any drops worth keeping, it will be a nice surprise.

-v.

Mastermind
Jun 27, 2013
300
Hey Von,
My questing partner and I hit Tartarus alone at least once a week fo rfun.
You're welcome to come along. We could use an extra player with experience in the dungeon.

Hero
Sep 07, 2011
761
Dr Von on Feb 17, 2015 wrote:
easy in theory, not so much in practice.

i will agree that this is an easy instance, if you have an ideal team (hitter, healer, tank, support), as your theory assumes. but what about the people who have to rely on team up, who either don't have friends online or in-game at all?

i was lucky enough that i did have friends online at the time. but we were not a full team (there were only 3 of us) and, as it was a relatively-new instance at the time, there were no guides to follow along with.

i actually find tartarus easier than morganthe, because you don't need a specific/experienced team to complete it and, because i have accepted that i will never see any drops from it, it's a lot less stressful as well. this way, if i do somehow get any drops worth keeping, it will be a nice surprise.

-v.
Any fight is easier with a coordinated team, but still, Morganthe is one fight with no serious cheats. Tartarus is an hour run on a good day. 5 boss fights, two of which have major cheats, and a puzzle. There's no comparison. I agree that drops are not worth the effort. My point was Morg is not that bad compared to Galleries or Tar. You don't need special tricks to beat her. You do for Cerberus and Poseidon, and for all the bosses in Darkmoor.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
240
Dr. von, that's very kind of you to offer, and I'd be honored and very thankful to join up with you. My Balance wiz is the one that's stuck and a Storm would be most welcome as I think that's the best wiz to fight that particular fight with. My Death wiz isn't quite there yet. Since you're offering to help, you say when and where. I'm EST US and mostly quest in the evenings as I work in the daytime, but have no problem staying up late. Tonight isn't good, but the rest of the week is good for me. My Balance wiz is, oddly enough, Valdus Hawkflame level 100 and I also have no problem following instructions .