Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Double Gardening returning soon with changes

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 01, 2019
9
Sparck on Aug 13, 2019 wrote:
Yes, for the elixirs as well.
If I use the double garden elixir now will I get the double seeds or has it already been patched? It would seem unfair if people already have garden elixirs.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2013
1
Thank you for his information. This sucks for someone who has never been in a later double gardening benefit! But I am glad the news came out before I bought the scroll of fortune. I am not intending to be rude. This is just complete honesty, but I would have bought the scroll of fortune if it had the double seed affect. But now I do not think anything in the scroll of fortune is worth any type of crowns.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
10
Professor Falmea on Aug 13, 2019 wrote:
Hello Wizards,

I wanted to stop by and chat about Double Gardening. We know that you have been eager for the next event, and the good news is that it will be returning very soon - within the next month, in fact! I know it’s been on a long hiatus, so we appreciate your patience as changes have been made.

Starting with the 10th anniversary and beyond, we’ve been taking a look at old content and systems as they interact with our plans for the future. Our newest event, the Beastmoon Hunt, has a gardening tie-in, which gave us an opportunity to review that whole system. The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time. We were faced with two difficult options: discontinue the double gardening benefit entirely or remove the seed duplication. We know that Double Gardening is incredibly beloved, and we have fun with it too, so we went with the second option. Plants that reseed themselves will continue to do so, dropping a single seed even during Double Gardening events.

With this concern resolved, we will be able to offer you Double Gardening more often, and occasionally for longer stretches of time than we could before. You will also of course continue to receive double experience and double rewards as expected!
Why not just make a benefit system where you only get the tc, gold and the snacks from the plants instead of another plant seed? So double the drops from planting instead of the seed being doubled.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2010
89
I am very disappointed in hearing this. At least let the elixir do double seed.
Or a 50% chance in getting double seeds. The discontinued double seed will affect the jewel plants and beast moon plants very much .

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
502
While I can't say I'm too happy to see WHY it wasn't around much, I am at least happy to have an answer. Can't be too mad either because I have a nice stock of the good plants through levelling my max. Will be happy to have it back though, because levelling gardening is becoming tedious.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2014
11
Well gee, whatever happened to if it ain't broke don't fix it? Sighs, sorry but I've observed a steady erosion of member benefits over the years. Prime motivation seems, sadly enough, to be greed. How can we bleed more money out of people? Bear in mind, this is supposed to be family oriented, and many people don't have that much disposable income.The double seeds were a way to expand your gardens and not break the bank. Surplus being fed to pets. So to me the system was not broke. Gardening was actually fun, and helped offset the bummer of pets. Yes to me the pets are nothing but a bummer. Doubly so now that you will need a elixir. All that monotonous train, train, train, for a failure? Not my idea of entertaining or fun! I cringe when I see changes announced, simply because they are rarely for the better.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2012
1
I understand why this change is being made, although I don't like it, but it's really not okay that this change has ALREADY been made in the game, without warning, without giving people a chance to use the elixirs they've already earned by spending money during crowns events. I spent a lot of money on crowns to earn these elixirs and I had not used them all. I wanted these elixirs specifically for the double seed benefit. Not cool.

Survivor
Aug 21, 2012
16
Professor Falmea on Aug 13, 2019 wrote:
Hello Wizards,

I wanted to stop by and chat about Double Gardening. We know that you have been eager for the next event, and the good news is that it will be returning very soon - within the next month, in fact! I know it’s been on a long hiatus, so we appreciate your patience as changes have been made.

Starting with the 10th anniversary and beyond, we’ve been taking a look at old content and systems as they interact with our plans for the future. Our newest event, the Beastmoon Hunt, has a gardening tie-in, which gave us an opportunity to review that whole system. The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time. We were faced with two difficult options: discontinue the double gardening benefit entirely or remove the seed duplication. We know that Double Gardening is incredibly beloved, and we have fun with it too, so we went with the second option. Plants that reseed themselves will continue to do so, dropping a single seed even during Double Gardening events.

With this concern resolved, we will be able to offer you Double Gardening more often, and occasionally for longer stretches of time than we could before. You will also of course continue to receive double experience and double rewards as expected!
make a name changer and a pet reroll system and I guarantee a lot of people that have quit will come back.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
233
The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time. We were faced with two difficult options: discontinue the double gardening benefit entirely or remove the seed duplication. We know that Double Gardening is incredibly beloved, and we have fun with it too, so we went with the second option. Plants that reseed themselves will continue to do so, dropping a single seed even during Double Gardening events.

Will this only apply to the self-seeding, or will this affect seeds that may drop as well? ie, King Parsley during elder has a chance of dropping an Ultra KP. Is that chance kept at only one seed, or is there a chance it will drop two, while the KP itself is kept at only one?

When will this change go into effect? Is it already applied, or will it be updated right when the next Double Gardening is going to kick in? (Will using elixirs now still get the full double, or are the new rules already in effect?)

Explorer
Feb 19, 2010
89
Tyler Ice018 on Aug 14, 2019 wrote:
Thank you for his information. This sucks for someone who has never been in a later double gardening benefit! But I am glad the news came out before I bought the scroll of fortune. I am not intending to be rude. This is just complete honesty, but I would have bought the scroll of fortune if it had the double seed affect. But now I do not think anything in the scroll of fortune is worth any type of crowns.
Yes, I was looking forward to buying the Scroll of Fortune on all of my accounts, just for the purpose of the garden elixir. I will have to agree with you, I have NO PURPOSE to buy it now. I am a crown player, but usually buy monthly membership for the last week of August, September and October, just to get the membership benefits for the birthday celebration. The one benefit, I was looking forward to was the double garden, I do not need or want any of the others. I do not need any more Mega snacks, I have max amounts of them and no pets I am interested in training. I wanted to double my Sunion seeds this year. But that is gone, so no use in getting membership.

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
264
Hmmm...Imagine my surprise the other night when I used my Member Benefit Gardening Elixir ...from back when I spent a lot of my crowns to earn it....And when I harvested All of my plants in one of my 3 gardens to find out I received nothing double. Since in the past few years I always earned double everything...1 seeds, 2 TCs 3 Reagents, 4 Snacks.

Well of course since I had zero prior notice that The Member Gardening Benefit had changed,...I naturally assumed it was some sort of glitch. Contacted Customer Support...and no it was not in fact a glitch.

I was basically told that in the past if I ever received Double "Anything" much less double seeds reagents snacks and TCs........then I must have just been Lucky.

Hello?? Well I went to being the Luckiest player in the game to being the most Unluckiest one it appears. I went from getting double all of those things I already mentioned....to getting double nothing.

I'm a logical minded person...and I have to tell you..this is making no sense of all.

For example: Quote "The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time."

Why did you keep this the same way for a few years if it was never actually intended?
What in fact is " Pretty Harmful " about Your Members receiving an extra seed at harvesting. ..........I do not see how it hurts anything.
Why did you implement this so called improvement without notifying anyone. I do not see it in the Summer Update notes. I surely would have not waited to use my Elixirs until now had I known you basically were taking the Member benefit away.
I do not care that you decided to change it to best fit KI........I do care that we were not Informed in a timely manner in order for us to use up our elixirs for their intended purposes under which they were purchased. Would please ask for more information about this.

Survivor
May 01, 2013
43
Honestly, this makes me not even care about double gardening events any more. Completely pointless since the max level of gardening is 20. O reached that 4 years ago on all 4 of my active wizards. Such a complete let down. And another useless member benefit event to not add to the calendar or get hyped about. As usual, it’s all about the money and double seed rewards pinches their pockets when crown seeds are dropped at double. Even though it would be nice even once year to get something like this for being a member and already purchasing those specific seeds to begin with. They aren’t cheap at 1500 crowns a seed. Especially when your duel plotting 42 CPs and 50 stacks of EMPs. (Or 50 Key Limes on noob wizards) The cost seriously adds up. And they know it.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
894
KI this is a good issue for which I hope you have learned a value lesson. If the doubling seeds were indeed a problem as Falmea suggests, then why did you not address it long ago? You allowed it to proceed unabated for years, and now have a very disgruntled player base as a result. You have a long history of not addressing issues in a timely manner. Use this as a learning experience, and be more proactive in admitting your mistakes, and addressing them more quickly. On a positive note, the addition of Sparck to the community has helped greatly, as I have seen him address issues quickly, that once were simply ignored. I wish you much success moving forward.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2011
7
The only reason I even get membership is for the ability to double my seeds. Well, that's gone! It will now be inefficient to acquire mega snacks.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2371
While I am not happy to hear 2x seeds won't happen, I understand why it's important to do so. 2x seeds got way out of hand and caused them to have to create the seed vaults. This will tame that part of the game. I WISH they would turn it on, full force, for one final week to allow those of us who have been banking on the next time to get one last ditch effort out of it, and then shut off the 2x seeds.

Here's a problem though, as has been discussed before. KI wants to address the currency issue in the game, and gardening is one of the biggest ways people get easy cash. Does this mean in the future, the only thing that will be doubled is XP only? I'm NOT trying to stir up trouble, just looking down range.

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
264
Hello Professor, I am so very confused right now.
1st. If this is supposed to be a future change....then why did my Member double Gardening Elixir no work for me a few days ago. I did no receive double anything. It was as if I was just harvesting a regular garden with no elixir. and yes I notified customer service and they sent me here to this notice.
2nd. You Wrote - "The seed duplication effect of double gardening was something that was never really intended."
Well it sure was bad business practice to lead us on for a couple of years..and then all of a sudden say Opps.....sorry we never meant for this to happen.
See why I am having a difficult time with this.
KI is better than that. I know because I have been around many years.
3rd. You Wrote: "And Actually Pretty Harmful with respect to plants that reseed themselves every time"
I am have an extremely difficult time trying to figure this one out. What is So Harmful Exactly? I have been harvesting Double Seeds from the beginning of this member benefit.
I have had no harm what so ever. In fact I quite enjoyed it. It gave me some seeds to share with all of my other wizards, of which I have on 3 accounts.
It may be harmful to now decide to change it, because quite a few people will be very upset over this.
4th. The same as the first. Why did I not get any benefit what so ever from using my Double Gardening Elixir a few nights ago.

Please I really want to understand Exactly what is happening here. If this is a future thing coming soon......then why did my Elixir Not work At All?

Customer Service was absolutely No Help in regards to this.

Thank You, Scarlet ShadowStone

The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
2263
Prof F,

Please consider the feedback/ideas you are receiving here before ultimately going forward with this "plan."

As you can see, many of us are a bit concerned with this new change to the benefit.


Survivor
Jun 01, 2019
9
hopefulz33 on Aug 15, 2019 wrote:
Hmmm...Imagine my surprise the other night when I used my Member Benefit Gardening Elixir ...from back when I spent a lot of my crowns to earn it....And when I harvested All of my plants in one of my 3 gardens to find out I received nothing double. Since in the past few years I always earned double everything...1 seeds, 2 TCs 3 Reagents, 4 Snacks.

Well of course since I had zero prior notice that The Member Gardening Benefit had changed,...I naturally assumed it was some sort of glitch. Contacted Customer Support...and no it was not in fact a glitch.

I was basically told that in the past if I ever received Double "Anything" much less double seeds reagents snacks and TCs........then I must have just been Lucky.

Hello?? Well I went to being the Luckiest player in the game to being the most Unluckiest one it appears. I went from getting double all of those things I already mentioned....to getting double nothing.

I'm a logical minded person...and I have to tell you..this is making no sense of all.

For example: Quote "The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time."

Why did you keep this the same way for a few years if it was never actually intended?
What in fact is " Pretty Harmful " about Your Members receiving an extra seed at harvesting. ..........I do not see how it hurts anything.
Why did you implement this so called improvement without notifying anyone. I do not see it in the Summer Update notes. I surely would have not waited to use my Elixirs until now had I known you basically were taking the Member benefit away.
I do not care that you decided to change it to best fit KI........I do care that we were not Informed in a timely manner in order for us to use up our elixirs for their intended purposes under which they were purchased. Would please ask for more information about this.
What day did you use your elixir and not get the double seeds?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2101
Removing duplication of seeds, especially after over 4 years of it, is inherently wrong...yes, for all of us. If you think it's no biggie then you've either missed how game-changing an event it is or you're jubilant at how much wealthier you are than those around you because you've already utilised it and they never can.

How will balance be achieved now it is gone? Better seed drops? Bigger and better snacks for the arduous chore of pet training? Better jewel/socket drops? Why not just leave it as it is then?

What was 'broken' about pet training, jewel farming, socket wrench farming etc was fixed with double gardening (assuming jewel blossoms ever make it to in game drops). What was 'broken' with double gardening was it was reliant on membership, which was recently fixed with the introduction of elixirs (though these need to be readily available for crowns). Have the choice of buying seeds v doubling seeds with an elixir/membership benefit – that is the solution.

Removing seed duplication because it is 'harmful' is at best, misguided. I would never have bought even 1 full stack of EMPs or CP. When given abundantly I bought additional housing elixirs, houses/bundles for more space, tons of bric-a-bracs, energy elixirs to plant them all or build plots faster, energy for more pet training because I had plenty of snacks, purreaus to hatch again because I can keep going, tons of seed banks, extended backpacks and full year memberships on crown accounts that had all areas bought already! With 4 gardening rewards a year I figured what's an extra $20 on the $40 for 4 gardening events...$60 a year extra revenue per account. But I'd never have spent all that on seeds.

Lost revenue is a nonsense excuse...perhaps they really believe I'd have bought thousands of dollars of seeds...hmm, check my crown history and see how many seeds I bought before double gardening existed (heads up, it's 0); now look at how many since (I've gifted quite a few because I know their value is exponential if the owner utilises the benefit). See above, double gardening has been quite an expensive benefit for me...and far from reluctantly buying seeds to feel I can participate, I enjoyed spending it all because it was to accommodate good things I had been 'given'!

We seem to still have 2 kinds of changes in game – ones we're let in on; ones we are not. But the ones we're not asked about, have no discussion about, and are thrust upon us without notice are the game-changers, the ones that leave us feeling like mugs and wondering why the company we're supporting (and in many instances defending) would suddenly pull the rug out from under us and not see where it is going to end up. Or worse, maybe they DO see where it will end up and we're all part of a scaryonette dance (heads up - we're the scaryonette!).

For those of you who think this rich/poor divide is acceptable, please consider the possible solutions when the issue escalates. Maybe they'll make seeds/snacks/drops more easily available (if so, why change it) or perhaps they'll introduce one of a million ways to prevent utilisation of seeds for those of us who have them (how happy will you be when your garden stops working?). They're already paving the way with beastmoon pots/plants that are immune to the rug glitch...how long until they come for your stacked gardens? It's okay folks, it was never intended, never considered, never pointed out, never adapted to accommodate it...

Is there even a problem? I doubled up CP/EMP because I loved pet stuff (wow, I'm already talking in past tense), then doubled jewels because I was fortunate enough to have some and it makes the game so much easier, now I want to double pink dandelions for more seed banks and a ton of other fun seeds for decorating or drops that are in less demand. Why shouldn't everyone have that route and if people are running out of things to double up simply make some more cool and useful seeds to keep us busy. They could introduce a new crown seed drop that gives us a 100xp snack and we'd be busying ourselves replacing those emps/cps with stacks of them instead...or as well!

Creating a rich/poor divide like this is extremely harmful to the game imo...I also have no need for memberships so they're gone and if my elixirs get nerfed before they're used up I will go from a frivolous spender to someone who absolutely won't spend at all...burned twice (I'm thinking of you critical wands I will never use)...do I ever need to spend a penny more? I prob have enough to keep me busy without spending and since I won't be able to post without current membership, like a rat on a sinking ship...cya guys!

PS. If anyone wants to add me before my friend list shrinks lmk by making a new thread with my name as subject so I see it! This membership runs out at the beginning of next month, my final membership runs out in May...regretting that now since it will literally have had 0 double gardening benefits but hey-ho! You're all still welcome to my pets and I do have areas on some accounts...love you all!

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
1
I have like Wizard101 for a long time I've seen what kind of changes to the game this is a change but I would say kingsisle is making a big mistake on I have a membership and I've had a membership for years there's no telling how much money I've spent in the game I don't like this idea plants are hard enough to come by when you farm them to have them just disappear if you're going to do you need to increase the drop rate of the plant ppl do farm would hate to leave this game to have to find another one to play after being here for so long I hope yall can find different way to make money for the game the plant are part of the reason I still play and have not moved on to another game

Antonio skullflame

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
1
When you have only duplicated your seeds once lmao.

They should totally let them gardens duplicate once a year</3

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
212
How about making a separate item count for gardening or just eliminating gardens from the item count? The red barn farm, everafter village and botanical garden have way more space for gardens than you can actually plant, even with expansion elixirs. The everafter village has 3 huge gardening areas plus a 4th smaller area by the wishing well. It would look so cool all planted, but there's no way to do it when each plant essentially counts as two items (1 for the plot and 1 for the plant).

After years of allowing the "mistake" of double seeds to continue, maybe plants weren't supposed to count as housing items in the first place and you could fix that too.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2011
1
This certainly doesn’t help the rich/poor divide and increases the barrier to entry for new players. The ideas circulating relating to a 10% double seed opportunity seems like a resonable concession. Double seed rewards are one of the best benefits of membership versus crown only play in my opinion.

Explorer
May 28, 2012
78
The seeds that I find that need to have the: remove the seed duplication are Fickle Pickles, Key Limes, King Parsley, and Stinkweed. Why …because they reseed during mature harvests. Reducing/ removing the mature harvests would help. But please keep the double member benefit as it has been. Maybe not four times a year but let’s say twice a year. This way the new wizards who would hear talking in regards to the doubling benefit would not feel denied by the game, but looking forward to purchasing a few seeds they can afford with the hopes of at least getting another with the benefit.

My main account just recently had purchased seeds for all my other accounts with the opportunity to purchase two more memberships with the hopes of doubling the seeds a few times. But without the doubling seeds benefit I will not be doing this.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
233
Cheryl Duskcrafter on Aug 22, 2019 wrote:
The seeds that I find that need to have the: remove the seed duplication are Fickle Pickles, Key Limes, King Parsley, and Stinkweed. Why …because they reseed during mature harvests. Reducing/ removing the mature harvests would help. But please keep the double member benefit as it has been. Maybe not four times a year but let’s say twice a year. This way the new wizards who would hear talking in regards to the doubling benefit would not feel denied by the game, but looking forward to purchasing a few seeds they can afford with the hopes of at least getting another with the benefit.

My main account just recently had purchased seeds for all my other accounts with the opportunity to purchase two more memberships with the hopes of doubling the seeds a few times. But without the doubling seeds benefit I will not be doing this.
"Maybe not four times a year but let’s say twice a year."

We've only had it once this year, so to have it four times in a year (with no changes to the benefit) would require it being done three more times in the next 18 weekends (including this coming weekend). Since they are changing the benefit, that's not going to happen. Point being, it's not four times a year, it's once or twice a year, and people are itching for it to return.