Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

why do topics lock?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 12, 2016
I want to know why topics on the message boards lock; It's becoming a giant rip off to me when I get a giant desire to be nice and share my game tips with people and the topic I click on doesn't let me post a reply to do so for people because it's locked. I'd like to know who thinks this is fair and the reason why.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
social sorcery boy on Apr 30, 2018 wrote:
I want to know why topics on the message boards lock; It's becoming a giant rip off to me when I get a giant desire to be nice and share my game tips with people and the topic I click on doesn't let me post a reply to do so for people because it's locked. I'd like to know who thinks this is fair and the reason why.
Most message boards I have seen/used have a lock system to prevent 'zombie threads' being reopened (brought back to life after they're dead lol). It helps to keep the open threads current and relevant. Other reasons for locking a thread could include - the issue has been resolved or the discussion has gone off-topic.

There may be other reasons as well, but these are common ones for forums.

If you have seen a post asking for advice and you have some tips you would like to share you could start a new thread to share them with everyone.

EG:

Topic: Gardening for Snacks!
Message: Here are some ways I get snacks from gardening.....[write tip post]...How do you make the most of your gardens to get snacks?

If you share your ideas then ask other people to add to it you could make a very useful thread with everyone sharing the methods that are best at the moment. Even when it eventually ends up locked people who search for ideas/advice will still be able to read it even if it can't be added to by then.

I'd like to hear your ideas and I'm sure other people would too

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
social sorcery boy on Apr 30, 2018 wrote:
Threads on this board automatically lock if no one posts to them for more than 90 days. That's three months of nothing, meaning the thread is dead. The original poster is long gone, and any "new advice" you might offer is stale because the thread died months ago. In other words, it's so old that no one is participating in that thread - you're offering advice to an empty room.

To stop you from wasting your own time, therefore, KI will lock off the dead threads. Call it pruning if you like.

Other times, if the thread is going way off topic or getting heated, the moderators will lock it to keep people from going off on a rant and getting themselves muted or banned.

And finally, rarely, if it's a subject that KI has already addressed somewhere else and they don't want the hassle of multiple threads about the same controversial or troublesome topic, they'll lock off any off-shoot threads and direct us to the main one. Again, it's mainly to stop the boards from getting cluttered.

As to whether it's "fair" or not, KI owns and moderates these boards to keep them family-friendly. They are a private company and get to dictate the terms and rules for how we behave when using their property. They don't want zombie threads cluttering up the boards, and they don't want rude or vicious behavior hurting people's feelings. For all these reasons, they sometimes lock threads.

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
exp613 on May 2, 2018 wrote:
Haha! I found it!

Here is an official post from KI saying basically what Victoria said, but from Dworgyn.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/questions-8ad6a42b576fd8d501578745a33d4289
Hey that's me