Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What happened to critical block

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 10, 2014
Hello, recently i came back to the game. But this time there's something that bugs me a lot. What happened to critical? Or to be precise, critical block and since when mobs with no block block it?

Let's take this situation as an example. It has happened many times.
I face 4 enemies. It says i critical but the damage is doubled for one enemy at most (sometimes even 0) with no critical block animation displayed. With higher levels numbers get higher and sometimes i can't even tell if the critical even landed.

There may have been a critical update I've missed, but the lack of block animation is bothering. Is this so called "shadow block" as I've heard intentional?

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
So it's actually not that they're blocking your critical, but rather that you just did not crit against every enemy. Previously, crit for AOE spells was a one-and-done thing where you either crit everyone or don't crit at all, but now it's calculated on an individual basis. All that the crit animation says when you're using an AOE with multiple enemies is that you crit on at least one of them, but it's not a guaranteed crit on all of them.

Crit is also no longer 2.0 damage -- it fluctuates based on your crit chance & the enemy's block rating.

Tbh I still hate this crit/block system and much prefer the old calculations. It just seems like if you're using one spell, you should have one chance to either crit everybody or crit nobody. And the fact that we can no longer block crits is really annoying & doesn't feel entirely fair. Like yes, it is nice to have crits do less damage overall when you have high block rating... but I'd much rather have the 2.0 crit multiplier & a chance of blocking :/