Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Power Pips

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
71
Hi guys, I was recently playing Wizard101 I was battling kroks in the red pyramid or whatever its called with my Myth wizard I had 2 Power pips which for a myth spell is the equivalent of 4 pips right? Then I used the spell Cyclops which is worth 3 pips it used up All my pips instead of what it used to do when if you had 2 power pips and cast a spell of your school that cost 3 pips it would take 1 power pip and split the other one into 2 regular pips and used 1 of those and then you would still have 1 pip left has any one else noticed this?

Tarlac Owldreamer Level 35 Fire Wizard

Mason Myth Level 10 Myth Wizard

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
A power pip is worth 1 or 2 pips depending on it's use. If you have only a power pip and try to cast a 1 pip spell, you use your power pip. If you have both a pip and power pip, the same spell will use the plain pip. There's no leftovers, you can't split a power pip into 2 pips. This isn't a bug.

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
204
BlazeTaleweaver on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
Hi guys, I was recently playing Wizard101 I was battling kroks in the red pyramid or whatever its called with my Myth wizard I had 2 Power pips which for a myth spell is the equivalent of 4 pips right? Then I used the spell Cyclops which is worth 3 pips it used up All my pips instead of what it used to do when if you had 2 power pips and cast a spell of your school that cost 3 pips it would take 1 power pip and split the other one into 2 regular pips and used 1 of those and then you would still have 1 pip left has any one else noticed this?

Tarlac Owldreamer Level 35 Fire Wizard

Mason Myth Level 10 Myth Wizard
Its supposed to be like that

Explorer
Feb 16, 2011
84
That's supposed to happen. I think it would be nice if we could get another regular pip to, but since there is only two pips to use the spell takes both.

A+ Student
Jan 11, 2012
1681
yes, and it's been talked about here as well. When I brought it up, I was told that the game's engine can't actively calculate like that. Of course, this means that odd number spells will cost more pips than needed many times. It's just one of the crosses we have to bare.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2011
3
I don't recall that the game ever gave you "change" for your power pips. If you have 2 power pips and cast a 3 point spell in your school, as far as I know, it has always used up both the power pips. At least, it has always done that in the two years or so I've been playing, with characters from several different schools.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
2721
BlazeTaleweaver on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
Hi guys, I was recently playing Wizard101 I was battling kroks in the red pyramid or whatever its called with my Myth wizard I had 2 Power pips which for a myth spell is the equivalent of 4 pips right? Then I used the spell Cyclops which is worth 3 pips it used up All my pips instead of what it used to do when if you had 2 power pips and cast a spell of your school that cost 3 pips it would take 1 power pip and split the other one into 2 regular pips and used 1 of those and then you would still have 1 pip left has any one else noticed this?

Tarlac Owldreamer Level 35 Fire Wizard

Mason Myth Level 10 Myth Wizard
The game has never "split" a power pip and given us one regular pip back.

If you had two power pips, and you cast a three-pip spell, it would use both of your power pips. You do not get any change/regular pip back from that. It has always been this way. Sorry...

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
101
No but thanks for warning me

Alexander DragonDreamer LV. 23

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
dayerider on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
yes, and it's been talked about here as well. When I brought it up, I was told that the game's engine can't actively calculate like that. Of course, this means that odd number spells will cost more pips than needed many times. It's just one of the crosses we have to bare.
That's clearly not true if you test out Empower. When I have used it while full of pips to clear all my weakness in Loremaster, it still says the whole gain 3 pips. AND it changes a white pip to yellow and adds a yellow pip. So it clearly CAN calculate it, it just doesn't.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
71
Uh guys who are saying that it has never happened, it has on my fire wizard I would have 2 power pips and cast sunbird which is a fire spell of 3 pips and it would leave behind one regular pip. This happened before the Khrysalis update. And if what happened today happens again where it takes all of the pips the spell should at least do extra damage who agrees with me?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
2721
BlazeTaleweaver on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
Uh guys who are saying that it has never happened, it has on my fire wizard I would have 2 power pips and cast sunbird which is a fire spell of 3 pips and it would leave behind one regular pip. This happened before the Khrysalis update. And if what happened today happens again where it takes all of the pips the spell should at least do extra damage who agrees with me?
I asked about this over on Central, and they seem to agree that this did happen earlier (before Zafaria), but it has now changed, and also that Empower does sometimes replace regular pips with power pips.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?395591-Split-a-Power-Pip-get-one-regular-Pip-back&p=4759949#post4759949

I still say that I don't remember ever seeing this happen to any of my wizards (except the Empower thing, because I don't use that).

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
BlazeTaleweaver on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
Uh guys who are saying that it has never happened, it has on my fire wizard I would have 2 power pips and cast sunbird which is a fire spell of 3 pips and it would leave behind one regular pip. This happened before the Khrysalis update. And if what happened today happens again where it takes all of the pips the spell should at least do extra damage who agrees with me?
No one is saying it never happened, we're all saying that's how it's intended to work. My example of Empower was just stating that their claim of the game not being able to calculate was false. It has always worked the way it works. A power pip counts as 2 pips only for your school or mastery amulets, but if you only have power pips and cast a 1 pip (or any odd number) the final pip used is still used. There's no change given, never has been, never will be. It's like a token, one use only, no refunds. You can use it as a pip for any school OR 2 pips for your school, not both.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
71
AluraMist2 on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
I asked about this over on Central, and they seem to agree that this did happen earlier (before Zafaria), but it has now changed, and also that Empower does sometimes replace regular pips with power pips.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?395591-Split-a-Power-Pip-get-one-regular-Pip-back&p=4759949#post4759949

I still say that I don't remember ever seeing this happen to any of my wizards (except the Empower thing, because I don't use that).
Thanks maybe it was changed due to an update.

Survivor
May 30, 2010
2
What level do you gain the ability to use power pips?
.

Madeline Dragonflame, Lvl 47 +
Suri Greenpyre, Lvl 23 +
Destiny Frostflower, Lvl 7 + ?
Brooke Skydust, Lvl 5 + ?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4942
Madeline DragonFla... on Mar 1, 2014 wrote:
What level do you gain the ability to use power pips?
.

Madeline Dragonflame, Lvl 47 +
Suri Greenpyre, Lvl 23 +
Destiny Frostflower, Lvl 7 + ?
Brooke Skydust, Lvl 5 + ?
Power pips are possible at any level, but they seem to become more active after level 8.

I suggest seeing Diego the Duelmaster and seeking his training to learn more.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Madeline DragonFla... on Mar 1, 2014 wrote:
What level do you gain the ability to use power pips?
.

Madeline Dragonflame, Lvl 47 +
Suri Greenpyre, Lvl 23 +
Destiny Frostflower, Lvl 7 + ?
Brooke Skydust, Lvl 5 + ?
Before level 10 you have 0% chance of power pips. Pets and certain items may give you a small chance before then. At level 10 you get a 10% base chance for power pip. Every level up until level 50 you gain 0.75% chance. This means because of rounding, every 4th level appears to stay the same. Once you reach lvl 50 you are maxed out at 40% base chance. Any increase above that must be obtained through gear and pet boosts.