Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Possible Monstrology bug

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Ok, so I am new to Monstrology. I've been doing it on my Myth the past few days, and today I ran across an issue. I'm just looking for clarification on this, but it could be a bug. I started fighting Thunderfin, Monstroloy L10 , I am Monstrology LVL 8, and have successfully collected animus from him. According to CENTRAL, he is listed as Fish/Undead, so the undead Extract spell works on him. I got the error message saying "Failed to Collect any Monster animus - Monstrology level too low". However, just the previous 2 fights I collected a total of 3 animus from him. I am soloing him, and using single hit spells with the undead animus spell. Is this just a generic error message you get when you dont collect animus? If so, it should be reworded. if it IS a bug, it needs to be fixed. Your help is appreciated

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
As I understand it, if our Monstrology level is lower than the creature we're trying to collect, our chances of successful collection go down. We might only have 10%-25% chance of collecting and a much higher chance of failure.

In your case, you got lucky a couple of times (you won against the odds), then the odds caught up with you and you had a failure. The failure was due to your being a lower level than the creature - hence, the wording.

If you level up a little more in Monstrology such that you're the same level as this guy you want, then you should be back to a high success rate. If you are higher than the creature you're trying to collect, you will always enjoy a perfect 100% chance of collecting.

So I don't think it was a bug, it was just that your luck ran out.

Alia Misthaven

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
I understand how this could be confusing, but this is working correctly.

per the update notes: https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/update-notes/april2017

"If your Monstrology level is equal to the enemy's rank, you should be able to get an animus. If your Monstrology level is below the enemy's rank, it will be harder to collect animus. The difficulty grows as the level/rank difference increases."

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
fair enough. That's why I wanted to find out what the issue was. Now I know it was part of my attempt to quick level. I will note this in the future. Thanks for the quick replies :) Happy Hunting!