Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 26, 2009
I created my account when I was 9, so my age was not saved then. I am now 18, and I would like free chat. I emailed customer support, but I haven't heard back from them.

Thanks!
Arin Unicornheart

Administrator
Arin UnicornHeart on Feb 22, 2019 wrote:
I created my account when I was 9, so my age was not saved then. I am now 18, and I would like free chat. I emailed customer support, but I haven't heard back from them.

Thanks!
Arin Unicornheart
Hi Arin,

Did you get a support ticket # when you emailed them? This is your indication that they received the email.

If not, please try a different domain, such as gmail instead of yahoo, for example.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2009
i'm having the same problem, so I just need to do the ticket support thingy and then I can get open chat finally

Defender
May 30, 2010
hey guys. You will probably not be able to get open chat if you put your account under 14. Due to Child laws, they cannot give people who create their account if they put if under 14 even if you are 18 now. Sadly the only thing you can do is create a new account. But do not be mad the only thing you are missing is saying numbers and allow to misspelled words.

Again do not blame KI blame the child laws

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I created my son's account when he was 10, once he turned 18 I simply went to the account controls and was able to click on open chat as an option. We did join in 2009, so maybe this changed over the years?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sadly due to COPPA legislation (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act 1998) Kingsisle are unable to track or attempt to verify the age of any account made by someone under the age of 13. They would be in breach of federal law simply by working out the current age of someone with a COPPA protected account

The legislation was intended to protect children but when it was introduced they did not anticipate situations such as this. It's like they completely overlooked the fact that people age over time and what was protection at age 13 is inhibitive at age 18.

Breaching COPPA carries ridiculously high fines ($40,000 per breach!) and they don't even consider a mistake as mitigating circumstances. This is the legislation that has pushed all social media to demand users be 13+. The age limit on social media sites is nothing to do with their content being inappropriate or children under 13 being too young for it; it is purely there so they do not have the headache and costs of dealing with COPPA and their unreasonable, excessive penalties.

While this legislation stands in its current state KingsIsle are unable to give open chat to accounts that were made while under 13...attempting to verify the age of someone protected by COPPA is a breach of COPPA! It's one of many issues with COPPA that are utterly ridiculous and a money spinner against reputable companies. I could rip this legislation to threads. It's discriminatory against young people, disabled and reputable companies, furthermore it completely fails to protect against anything.

The only way to change this, is to change the legislation.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on Mar 30, 2019 wrote:
Sadly due to COPPA legislation (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act 1998) Kingsisle are unable to track or attempt to verify the age of any account made by someone under the age of 13. They would be in breach of federal law simply by working out the current age of someone with a COPPA protected account

The legislation was intended to protect children but when it was introduced they did not anticipate situations such as this. It's like they completely overlooked the fact that people age over time and what was protection at age 13 is inhibitive at age 18.

Breaching COPPA carries ridiculously high fines ($40,000 per breach!) and they don't even consider a mistake as mitigating circumstances. This is the legislation that has pushed all social media to demand users be 13+. The age limit on social media sites is nothing to do with their content being inappropriate or children under 13 being too young for it; it is purely there so they do not have the headache and costs of dealing with COPPA and their unreasonable, excessive penalties.

While this legislation stands in its current state KingsIsle are unable to give open chat to accounts that were made while under 13...attempting to verify the age of someone protected by COPPA is a breach of COPPA! It's one of many issues with COPPA that are utterly ridiculous and a money spinner against reputable companies. I could rip this legislation to threads. It's discriminatory against young people, disabled and reputable companies, furthermore it completely fails to protect against anything.

Wow very interesting. Thanks for posting this, I'm glad I know how this works now

Defender
May 30, 2010

Yeah it is discriminatory but I think just so little kids to give their accounts away or give out their real names and numbers. I was a very dumb child and almost give my information out to so weird person (On a different website before Wiz even existed). But this is a way to keep kids safe. (They should be a way like to tell them you are techinally an adult aka a 18 year old).

The only fix right now is to make a new account for people who stated their actual ages (Aka people who put their age under 13).But it is not really that bad, Open chat just let them say numbers and misspell things. They is also a work out for numbers as you can say "for" for four and ate for eight for example.

Remember they do not know if these people start when they were 5 or 11 because of these laws. Maybe some day they will change it but today is not that day

Defender
Jan 30, 2014

Wow, I didn't know all of that. All I seemed to know was that accounts get stuck at the same age, and since they can't keep track of your age we can't verify the person being 18 years old.

Very interesting information though, to say the least.