Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 10, 2010
6
I created my account back in 2010 while i was under 13. I am now over 18 years old and still restricted from open chat. I am a member and active player. I emailed support about my situation but i get no response. I am tired of having to use restricted chat even though i have been above age for years now.
what do i have to do to finally have open chat?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1851
At the moment, there is nothing you can do. KI is forbidden by Federal (United States) law from keeping a record of the age on any account where the owner is under 13 years. So it's like they literally don't know how old you are and they'll never be able to know.

That said, many players are in your shoes. Many of you started out in this game 7-8 years ago and are now reaching adulthood. This problem is only going to grow as the game and more of its players "grow up."

So, my suggestion is that KI find a way to formally 'grandfather' 10 year old (and older) accounts into adult status if the owner contacts them via support and provides proof of age in writing. The game isn't ten years old yet, but it will be next year. At that time, any account that has passed the ten years mark should be eligible for reconsideration at the owner's request and if the owner provides adult age confirmation in some real way, such as with a driver's license.

Hopefully they will do this, but for right now there's not much hope that your chat options will change.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Mar 15, 2014
33
Sadly, it doesn't matter what age you are in real life. What matters is the age you put on your account. If your account has aged, then go into your account on the page, and go to parental controls. Log in with your master password. Then you can check open chat, if it isn't there then your account hasn't aged yet.

Morgan Darkrider 120

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
397
mrchristal on Nov 18, 2017 wrote:
I created my account back in 2010 while i was under 13. I am now over 18 years old and still restricted from open chat. I am a member and active player. I emailed support about my situation but i get no response. I am tired of having to use restricted chat even though i have been above age for years now.
what do i have to do to finally have open chat?
Here's a copy of one of my posts:

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait.

HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally.

Since you put your age as under 13, then that means your account will never be able to get Open Chat...

Survivor
Jul 10, 2010
6
BrahmShadow on Nov 18, 2017 wrote:
Here's a copy of one of my posts:

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait.

HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally.

Since you put your age as under 13, then that means your account will never be able to get Open Chat...
Why should i be punished for being truthful while creating my account. I was 12, and now 7 years later, I'm 18 and about to turn 19.
All Ive heard is that there is nothing i can do until KI decides to address this problem.

I even emailed support and they just didnt answer me at all. at this point im about to just give up and retire the account. which i really didnt want to do because of the years of work and time i put into it.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
397
mrchristal on Nov 19, 2017 wrote:
Why should i be punished for being truthful while creating my account. I was 12, and now 7 years later, I'm 18 and about to turn 19.
All Ive heard is that there is nothing i can do until KI decides to address this problem.

I even emailed support and they just didnt answer me at all. at this point im about to just give up and retire the account. which i really didnt want to do because of the years of work and time i put into it.
I completely agree with everything you said. My main account isn't getting Open until January 17 (59 days away, I'm doing a countdown lol), and I've been waiting 5... very... frustrating... years. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish Kingsisle would address this problem, as I just want to send them a picture of my drivers license to prove I'm at least 18. Unfortunately, I doubt they will ever allow you to prove that you're at least 18 with some type of evidence.

I think the reason Kingsisle is doing nothing about this problem is because they can't relate with anything that we're saying. ALL of their employees have Open Chat, so none of them know just how bad it is for people that have Filtered Chat still. I can't tell you how frustrated it's made me to see conversations like this:

Friend 1: lol did ... and ... :P
Friend 2: haha ... lol
Friend 1: ...
Friend 2: ... xd

And the thing is, these aren't bad people that are just saying bad stuff around the filters. The smallest of typos automatically dots the word out, and it's incredibly frustrating trying to be involved in conversations like these.

I hope Kingsisle reads this post...

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1851
mrchristal on Nov 19, 2017 wrote:
Why should i be punished for being truthful while creating my account. I was 12, and now 7 years later, I'm 18 and about to turn 19.
All Ive heard is that there is nothing i can do until KI decides to address this problem.

I even emailed support and they just didnt answer me at all. at this point im about to just give up and retire the account. which i really didnt want to do because of the years of work and time i put into it.
I would suggest you keep your old account open and active. Otherwise you'd be losing all the time, effort and money that went into leveling your wizard up. You'd be giving up everything you earned, and not for a good reason.

You could start a new account with an adult age and then consider trying to transfer your old wizard to the new account.

If you decide to try that, you need to get membership on the new account while keeping membership open on the old one, and linking the two accounts into a "family of accounts".... If you create a new account today, you could email KI support around Thanksgiving next year and ask them to consider transferring your old wizard to the new account.

KI has said they will sometimes consider transferring wizards between accounts if both meet these conditions: both are members, both are open for a year or more, both are linked to the same family of accounts, neither has any sanctions or bans on record.

I do have sympathy for you. KI should figure out a way to accomodate paying customers who have grown up with the game and are now adults.

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
153
Supposedly there is a way to transfer characters between two accounts; however, if I remember correctly, both accounts have to be linked with a membership for at least a year.

I feel the plight of everyone here, I wish there was something that could be done about this problem. If they would expand the viable vocabulary for text chat players, particularly in the department of abbreviations and acronyms, having text chat might not be so bad all time.

Last time I checked I couldn't use the acronym omw (on my way), dps (damage per second), or crit (short for critical), and I could list a couple hundred more if I wanted to. Those are a few annoying ones that I don't see the reason why text chat players shouldn't be able to use them, seeing as the text chat flitter can somewhat sense the context of certain words/prevent us from saying certain phrases.

It would also be nice if they have a whole section of menu chat devoted to common gaming abbreviations and acronyms like aoe (area of effect), dps (damage per second) (again), lol/lolz (laugh out loud) (yeah lol/lolz is not a menu chat option, what person on this planet has not said the word lol or lolz at least once?) etc... (et cetera). It would make communicating with menu chat players a bit easier, in and out of combat.