Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice gear is terrible?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 18, 2010
14
I think ice needs to be buffed. I was looking at the waterworks gear for ice vs. fire. Ice only gets 5% more universal resistance, yet fire gets +14% more damage for their respective classes, 34 more crit rating than ice, practically the same block rating, more accuracy, etc. I've compared a lot of the crafted ice sets vs. storm sets and other sets and ice just seems inferior in almost every way besides universal resist and crit block, both of which it doesn't even have much more than storm in, yet storm gets way more damage and crit rating, and crit block is pretty pointless up in Azteca anyways. If someone can explain why this is balanced I'd love to hear it.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
387
hello294p on Aug 2, 2017 wrote:
I think ice needs to be buffed. I was looking at the waterworks gear for ice vs. fire. Ice only gets 5% more universal resistance, yet fire gets +14% more damage for their respective classes, 34 more crit rating than ice, practically the same block rating, more accuracy, etc. I've compared a lot of the crafted ice sets vs. storm sets and other sets and ice just seems inferior in almost every way besides universal resist and crit block, both of which it doesn't even have much more than storm in, yet storm gets way more damage and crit rating, and crit block is pretty pointless up in Azteca anyways. If someone can explain why this is balanced I'd love to hear it.
I don't really know any Ice Wizards that use Waterworks gear, because almost every Ice I know used the Avalon crafted gear at one point. The Avalon crafted gear for Ice is SO much better than what the other schools get, because it gives Ice a HUGE chunk of health and a lot of Fire and Storm resist.

Around the early parts of the second arc, Ice is known for its defensive abilities and high health. Ice doesn't have high critical or damage, because that's NOT what the school is. The gear is balanced because it gives Ice specific statistics that are unique to the school and which no other school has access to.

If you think Ice needs to be buffed, check out the Darkmoor gear that Malistaire drops.

Defender
Aug 08, 2012
142
The thing is, Ice is supposed to have lower damage, being a tank. Fire and Storm are supposed to be damage-dealing schools, so that's why they have more of the +x% more damage and higher crit rating. Ice is fine as it is, it doesn't need buffed.

Defender
Feb 27, 2015
103
hello294p on Aug 2, 2017 wrote:
I think ice needs to be buffed. I was looking at the waterworks gear for ice vs. fire. Ice only gets 5% more universal resistance, yet fire gets +14% more damage for their respective classes, 34 more crit rating than ice, practically the same block rating, more accuracy, etc. I've compared a lot of the crafted ice sets vs. storm sets and other sets and ice just seems inferior in almost every way besides universal resist and crit block, both of which it doesn't even have much more than storm in, yet storm gets way more damage and crit rating, and crit block is pretty pointless up in Azteca anyways. If someone can explain why this is balanced I'd love to hear it.
I kind of agree that ice gear needs improvement as well. I'm currently working on quests in Celestia and Hrundle Fjord as a level 56 wizard. I guess that the gear I get from battles is decent but I'm never getting gear from my own school. When I do get ice gear, its not even my level. When I shop in the bazaar to look for better gear, I find tons of better stuff. Overall, ice gear is fine but I'd definitely recommend actually getting gear from your school after a battle.

Ps. Sorry if I got a little off topic on this post but I haven't posted anything in a while.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
1013
Ice does not need a buff, my opinion of course. I wish everyone would stop trying to make all the schools the same, if you want a fire, make a fire!

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
1013
Ice has, by far, more viable gear options then any other school, as evidenced by my Ice's stuff backpack!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
1304
The one thing I find about Ice as it levels up is the resist keeps going down on the good gear.

Ice is a defensive school. I'm happy with that. At 8300+ health my Ice is pretty tanky. However, to help Ice remain a tank, resist needs to stay consistent with new gear ..... and it's not. I would say, with Azteca gear on up, Ice's stats have been lowered. It's not even useable, so my Ice wears a crafted Avalon robe and she's L120.

I don't want to see the schools end up with the same stats, but there needs to be something done because the gear as it stands now (no matter how you get it) takes away from what a school is designed for.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
1013
BrynnerOfReign on Aug 5, 2017 wrote:
The one thing I find about Ice as it levels up is the resist keeps going down on the good gear.

Ice is a defensive school. I'm happy with that. At 8300+ health my Ice is pretty tanky. However, to help Ice remain a tank, resist needs to stay consistent with new gear ..... and it's not. I would say, with Azteca gear on up, Ice's stats have been lowered. It's not even useable, so my Ice wears a crafted Avalon robe and she's L120.

I don't want to see the schools end up with the same stats, but there needs to be something done because the gear as it stands now (no matter how you get it) takes away from what a school is designed for.
How much resist exactly would you feel is appropriate? Ice gear has more resist than other schools as far as I can see, so not really sure where you are coming from here, should they have a full 10% more along with 1.2k health more than the next closest school? 20%??

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
1304
Jasmine3429 on Aug 6, 2017 wrote:
How much resist exactly would you feel is appropriate? Ice gear has more resist than other schools as far as I can see, so not really sure where you are coming from here, should they have a full 10% more along with 1.2k health more than the next closest school? 20%??
I see many other schools with better resist than Ice. In the upper levels, resist is straight across for Ice now. No more boost to Storm or Fire. My Ice has 72 resist to Storm/Fire and 60 to all others. That's because I use the Avalon crafted robe, as any gear higher than that drastically reduces my resist down to about 50% across the board. I see this with many Ice wizards I click on to see what gear they have.

Now you see gear that has changed the talents we used to get:

Hats - no resist, has damage
Robes - resist, no damage
Boots - has a little of everything

You can't get good overall gear anymore. Talents are all split up and making difficult to put together anything decent that works for not only the wizard but for the SCHOOL, itself. Don't get me talking about the athames, rings, necklaces, and wands .... totally atrocious.