Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Catch of the Day - still broken

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Catch of the Day is still not always registering the catch. Sometimes it registers but doesn't give the pop-up saying you caught the Fish of the Day... other times it gives the pop-up AND registers the fish... other times it does nothing at all, no pop-up and no credit for the fish. This is happening on all of my wizards. Not a huge deal but it's definitely an energy waster as well as being frustrating.
KI, I know you got nothing better to do... get on this will ya? Just kidding, I'm sure you're aware of this... I just feel it's my civic duty to remind you from time to time.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Administrator
Hello,

Thanks for the update. We are investigating the issue and hope to have a resolution in place the next time the game is updated. I don't know when that will be yet. I appreciate your patience.

community@wizard101.com
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Yes... it's still broken... sometimes...
Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't, and sometimes it will recognize the Fish of the Day on the second or third fish. For what it's worth, I've noticed that for me it seems to be a morning thing with the failures. If I try for the FoTD in the afternoon it seems to almost always register on the first catch.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
TucsonWizard on Jan 27, 2016 wrote:
Yes... it's still broken... sometimes...
Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't, and sometimes it will recognize the Fish of the Day on the second or third fish. For what it's worth, I've noticed that for me it seems to be a morning thing with the failures. If I try for the FoTD in the afternoon it seems to almost always register on the first catch.
The things I've noticed:

- If you caught a Fish of the Day the day before, today's catches won't register at all no matter how many fish you catch up to around 10 or 11 am.

- If you miss catching a Fish of the Day the day before, it won't register until you catch a second fish, though it's not always consistent. With 6 wizards per account, I sometimes noticed the first wizard had a CotD register on their very first catch, but the other 5 wizards didn't get credit until their second or third catch. It's usually the second, the third catch scenario didn't happen very often.

- The other thing I noticed, let's take today as an example: If I didn't catch Wednesday's Fish of the Day, but I catch Thursday's Fish of the Day sometime between midnight and 6 am (that was my test) today, it will register as a catch for Wednesday. Then if I catch the same fish later on, some time after 11 am or noon today, it'll count towards today's catch.

That last point along with the the first one I'm guessing are directly related to one another, and probably have something to do with KI's time zone modifications for players on different continents. Like say for instance when a Crowns sale or membership promo that's supposed to end Sunday actually lasts until late Monday morning, the fishing challenges seem to work on the same clock even though the actual Fish of the Day changes at midnight local time.

The middle one, which seems to be the one you're focused on, that one is definitely a glitch. I had contacted customer service directly and, as the Professor states, I was informed that any fix will not be implemented until there is a game update. It's not something they are going to just patch, it's going to be included either with new content, or a whole bunch of other updates that they're building up.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
High Five Ghost on Jan 28, 2016 wrote:
The things I've noticed:

- If you caught a Fish of the Day the day before, today's catches won't register at all no matter how many fish you catch up to around 10 or 11 am.

- If you miss catching a Fish of the Day the day before, it won't register until you catch a second fish, though it's not always consistent. With 6 wizards per account, I sometimes noticed the first wizard had a CotD register on their very first catch, but the other 5 wizards didn't get credit until their second or third catch. It's usually the second, the third catch scenario didn't happen very often.

- The other thing I noticed, let's take today as an example: If I didn't catch Wednesday's Fish of the Day, but I catch Thursday's Fish of the Day sometime between midnight and 6 am (that was my test) today, it will register as a catch for Wednesday. Then if I catch the same fish later on, some time after 11 am or noon today, it'll count towards today's catch.

That last point along with the the first one I'm guessing are directly related to one another, and probably have something to do with KI's time zone modifications for players on different continents. Like say for instance when a Crowns sale or membership promo that's supposed to end Sunday actually lasts until late Monday morning, the fishing challenges seem to work on the same clock even though the actual Fish of the Day changes at midnight local time.

The middle one, which seems to be the one you're focused on, that one is definitely a glitch. I had contacted customer service directly and, as the Professor states, I was informed that any fix will not be implemented until there is a game update. It's not something they are going to just patch, it's going to be included either with new content, or a whole bunch of other updates that they're building up.
Yes, it all seems to be very erratic. None of it is really a big deal other than wasting a few points of energy. I've gotten to the point that if I try it and it doesn't work on the first catch I shut it down, go do some other things, and come back later to try again. Eventually once all of my wizards have gotten the badges I won't care one way or the other. The gold boosts are nice but gold is an easy get anyway so really there will be no reason to try for the CoTD once I've gotten the 25 needed for the badge. I enjoy fishing but I usually try to catch only what I need to craft aquariums... Frost Dekoi, Lifacuda and the like.
I think you're probably correct in that it's a problem with the time-zone differentials. I've also noticed what you pointed out about the promos lasting longer than their posted ending date.