Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My experience in fishing

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
May 31, 2009
My energy globe holds only 50 in energy, maybe a slight more but that is all. I fished for the fish on the first quest for a Sharksphere and used up whole energy globe and came up empty handed. Someone is going to have to explain how this is using energy better than leveling pets with. Sure i can go sell the fish so now i am trading energy for gold. I will continue with my 2 wizards in their early levels (20) and see what develops. They are in need of pets more than fish. It seems as if the only great benefit for a young wizard is the chest he will land as they hold items he may be able to use, an older wizard has no use for a level 15 ring or dagger. Best drop i have gotten my wizards have used was a wand it was a crown wand, this is the only benefit i see for young wizards in fishing is the chests and what they hold.

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
Just went through another globe of energy trying for fish in Ole town, it looks like fishing is not going to go well with my lower level wizards and i plan on stopping and not getting fishing on my other wizards. Game has to understand that when you send me looking for a sky hook, i will only look for so long then forget it, two energy globes is long enough, i would rather spend the energy on something i can see a Benefit on like pet leveling.

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
used up a third energy globe and still no fish, on my other wizard he is on the last fish second globe for that fish. Too much energy spent fpr such little results.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
There is no benefit to fishing. It's just something extra to do.

There isn't really such a thing as a waste of energy because it regenerates. If you're buying energy elixirs, then you're wasting money because you'll never get it back. But spending energy... unless you have a time limit on how long you're going to play the game and what you want to accomplish in that time, how often you empty your energy globe and it refills doesn't really matter.

Training pets is a good use of energy, but that can be just as frustrating as fishing when you get to Ancient or Epic and you get a talent you didn't want. Then you not only feel a sense that you've wasted energy, but also all of those pet snacks. Really, gardening is the only way to use energy where you can almost be certain of satisfying results, assuming you've chosen plants that yield rewards you want.

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
you are right, i spent my 4th energy globe trying for the same fish. The only benefit this lower level wizard is getting is gold from selling the no good fish and getting items to sell from the chest. I figure 4 globes is enough as i have sold 8000 in gold for fish so far. I am dropping the fish thing as of today. Someone will have to prove to me it is worth while in future.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
2x4 two step on Sep 18, 2014 wrote:
you are right, i spent my 4th energy globe trying for the same fish. The only benefit this lower level wizard is getting is gold from selling the no good fish and getting items to sell from the chest. I figure 4 globes is enough as i have sold 8000 in gold for fish so far. I am dropping the fish thing as of today. Someone will have to prove to me it is worth while in future.
Fishing is what you make of it. If you decide it's not for you because you either can't get the hang of it or you don't see any worthwhile benefits then that's your prerogative. Some folks are successful at it, others not so much. It took me a while to become proficient at it and I'll admit there were times when I was thinking the same way you are. What kept me going was that I'm a badge hound. When I realized there were quite a number of badges associated with fishing it gave me more incentive to keep trying. Now, something like 9 badges later, I still enjoy it. I proudly wear my Down the Bass badge (1000 fish caught) nearly all the time and am constantly being asked "Hey, where'd you get that badge?". I also get my fair share of people saying "Geez, get a life!".
When you consider the possible items you can get in the occasional chests you catch it's even more incentive. I've gotten 4 or 5 pets and a lot of aquariums plus the reagents and gold. Obviously gold isn't that important for higher level wizards but for those just starting out it's a way to make a quick buck. At any rate like I said, you get out of it what you put in and just like gardening and pet training it's a matter of managing the way you want to spend those precious energy points.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
TucsonWizard on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
Fishing is what you make of it. If you decide it's not for you because you either can't get the hang of it or you don't see any worthwhile benefits then that's your prerogative. Some folks are successful at it, others not so much. It took me a while to become proficient at it and I'll admit there were times when I was thinking the same way you are. What kept me going was that I'm a badge hound. When I realized there were quite a number of badges associated with fishing it gave me more incentive to keep trying. Now, something like 9 badges later, I still enjoy it. I proudly wear my Down the Bass badge (1000 fish caught) nearly all the time and am constantly being asked "Hey, where'd you get that badge?". I also get my fair share of people saying "Geez, get a life!".
When you consider the possible items you can get in the occasional chests you catch it's even more incentive. I've gotten 4 or 5 pets and a lot of aquariums plus the reagents and gold. Obviously gold isn't that important for higher level wizards but for those just starting out it's a way to make a quick buck. At any rate like I said, you get out of it what you put in and just like gardening and pet training it's a matter of managing the way you want to spend those precious energy points.
The badges are part of what keeps me going too. That, and I intend to catch one of every fish with every wizard even if it proves nothing to anybody else but me.

The funny part about the badges though is that no matter what badges I accumulate, the only one I keep on every one of my wizards is "Golem Tower Champion". It's kind of a symbolic "never forget where you came from" sort of gesture.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
High Five Ghost on Sep 20, 2014 wrote:
The badges are part of what keeps me going too. That, and I intend to catch one of every fish with every wizard even if it proves nothing to anybody else but me.

The funny part about the badges though is that no matter what badges I accumulate, the only one I keep on every one of my wizards is "Golem Tower Champion". It's kind of a symbolic "never forget where you came from" sort of gesture.
Same with me with respect to catching one of everything with every wizard. I'm cheating a bit however when it comes to some of the "limited edition" fish like the Warhammerhead and the Gobbler Fish. I've caught multiples with one wizard and transferred them to other wizards through the shared bank. I realize it doesn't count as a "catch" but at least they're there for display until if/when they become temporarily available again.
I like your logic with the Golem Tower Champ badge. Also keeps them guessing as to your actual level without doing a stat check.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
I've been fishing with my higher level wizards who already have trained pets. They also have more energy at those levels. It makes it much easier when not running out of energy so fast. I like the chests I caught with aquariums in them. If I was lower level though, some of the gear from those chests weren't bad for a low level wizard. It wouldn't be a bad way to get some wands and rings when low on gold, starting out.

Survivor
May 31, 2009
Fishing with a wizard in his level 20's. I use fishing to get some quick gold provided the energy has not been used up on gardening(I have 2 one in my dorm and one in my castle) and pet training.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Here's another thing from fishing, I got a crabling pet from one of the fishing chests in Wizard City. That is not a bad drop for a low level wizard, better than many of the WC pet drops.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Calamity Finch on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
Here's another thing from fishing, I got a crabling pet from one of the fishing chests in Wizard City. That is not a bad drop for a low level wizard, better than many of the WC pet drops.
Good point! I have gotten the Crabling pet, Spiny Fish pet and several others from chests. Quite a pleasant surprise when it happens.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
TucsonWizard on Oct 9, 2014 wrote:
Good point! I have gotten the Crabling pet, Spiny Fish pet and several others from chests. Quite a pleasant surprise when it happens.
I got a L'il Siren pet as well from a chest in Griz. For me it's something do on my high level wizards to take a break from endless farming while waiting for next world.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
It's great to have choices; and fishing in Wizard 101 offers this to players. You can get badges, fishing spells, attempt to catch one of every fish, as well as even get pet snack recipes or aquariums.

You can sell fish to Lucky Hookline in the Commons, and Frode Silverscale in Grizzleheim.

You can learn fishing spells through Lucky Hookline, Frode Silverscale, and Haarek Silverscale (also in Grizzleheim).

And you can buy aquariums and pet snack recipes from Frode Silverscale.

But just like in real life; I'd also love to be able to buy fish from a vendor, fish store or market too.

Survivor
May 31, 2009
Would be interesting if certain types of fish could be used in some crafting recipes like for some snacks or treasure cards. I think a cooking mini-game using the fish, seeds, and biological reagents you have gathered would be interesting.

Survivor
May 18, 2010
I was planning on getting the 11 epic fish but after only 4 I gave up. I spent 4 times the
amount of time as some that got them all so its too much luck oriented like the drops. So I
sold all the fish and put the empty tanks out in the pasture on my red barn farm and will be
keeping my crowns for something useful.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
For me, fishing in W101 is kinda like fishing in real life -- a laid back way to spend some time. It is not really goal oriented. I like the sound of water, and the little bubbles. It is fun to catch rare or different fish, but mostly it is just fun to relax. Life isn't all about achieving goals or grabbing up rewards. Sometimes life is just about enjoying the moment. And when you come down to it, playing a game -- or fishing within the game -- is really just a way to enjoy the moment.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2012
I'm a crafter and I need certain fish for recipes like the Teleport Tapestry and Pogo Stick mounts.