Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Craft WT or get WW?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Hi Everyone,
Rowan Willowgrove, my Life Wizard, is currently questing in Wintertusk (Sudrilund) and almost at level 56. I have checked out some of the craftable gear recipes here and they do look very good (I also like the wand recipes in Vestrilund)
I was just wondering though wether I should buy these gear recipes and craft them OR wait till I hit level 60 and farm for Life WW gear.?
How long would WT gear be viable. My other wizards all used WW gear until they got their hades gear so I've never considered crafting this level gear before.
Any advice or help would be great

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Sep 27, 2014 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Rowan Willowgrove, my Life Wizard, is currently questing in Wintertusk (Sudrilund) and almost at level 56. I have checked out some of the craftable gear recipes here and they do look very good (I also like the wand recipes in Vestrilund)
I was just wondering though wether I should buy these gear recipes and craft them OR wait till I hit level 60 and farm for Life WW gear.?
How long would WT gear be viable. My other wizards all used WW gear until they got their hades gear so I've never considered crafting this level gear before.
If you don't mind farming, WW gear is what you want to wait for. I have WW gear on my Life wizard in KS still. I farmed for it prior to the drop adjustment so it wasn't too bad and I used the lvl 58 gear to get though in the mean time. I did random runs in between regular questing and finally got the robe for Mirror Lake.

When the WT gear came out I did craft and use the helmet and still use that for the extra blade it gives.

Mary

Explorer
Jun 08, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I always craft the Wintertusk gear for my Wizards. Most times I just use it for only four levels. When I hit level 60 I farm for WW's gear. So, I wouldn't really craft the Wintertusk gear if you have a hard getting the items needed. For me, I craft almost everything, so it's not really a big deal. But all in all, just make sure you have your WW's gear before you get to Avalon.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Sep 27, 2014 wrote:
If you don't mind farming, WW gear is what you want to wait for. I have WW gear on my Life wizard in KS still. I farmed for it prior to the drop adjustment so it wasn't too bad and I used the lvl 58 gear to get though in the mean time. I did random runs in between regular questing and finally got the robe for Mirror Lake.

When the WT gear came out I did craft and use the helmet and still use that for the extra blade it gives.

Mary
Thanks Mary
Yes I was pretty sure WW was the way to go but I thought I'd ask because I didn't know if Life WW gear was as good as the other schools.
BTW are the WT wands worth crafting, I noticed they can give you dispells or shields or even spells :)

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I farmed for WW gear on my first couple wizards. Now I don't bother. WT gear is nearly as good and works well enough to get you through until you can craft something better in Azteca or farm Hades.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Sep 28, 2014 wrote:
Thanks Mary
Yes I was pretty sure WW was the way to go but I thought I'd ask because I didn't know if Life WW gear was as good as the other schools.
BTW are the WT wands worth crafting, I noticed they can give you dispells or shields or even spells :)
I personally buy my wands at the Bazaar or use drops to start to build in some block/critical ratings and the usually power pip. In my last pass of Zafaria there seemed to be a lot more critical being thrown by the monsters. In Avalon I switch out for the farmed, Wyd-Oak Staff and have crafted the high critical block boots (86%).

I tend to use only necessary spells in my decks so having extras from gear tends to get in the way for me. I also tend to not put to much effort into temporary gear crafting. I find if I need any extra spells I can build the into my sideboard with Treasure Cards.

Life is a tough school because our all around is late in game and we must have the pips to cast it in reasonable amount of time so, altho, I try to focus on other stats in my gear I try to keep my power pip chance as high as I can, hence most of my gear is still lvl 56-60 for 100%. It also helps in healing because I can recover pips faster to be able to heal and then cast damage soon after. All stats my Life wizard is lacking I compensate for by being able to play that school quite well because it was my original wizard and I spent a lot of time learning it.

Mary

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I have found the WT crafted gear to be some of the best gear in the game for many levels to come. With this gear I found I never really had to bother with WW that much. And also, when I did try WW, I never actually got gear that was useful to me -- items for other schools, but not for mine.

Personally, though, I far prefer crafting to fighting through dungeons. I find the randomness of drops in dungeons frustrating, and the time it takes to slog through dungeons, and then do that over and over to get the gear you actually need from dungeon drops, is not worth it to me. So I prefer the crafting route -- I can get exactly what I want through my own efforts and not from random drops, which may or may not give me what I can use.

The WT athames and rings are particularly helpful.

So it really depends not just on what the gear is, but also on how you like to get your gear. The WT gear is very good gear, and can get you through higher worlds just fine. I don't think I found much better gear until I reached Avalon and found the druid recipe vendor (I think his name is Grady).

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Sep 29, 2014 wrote:
I personally buy my wands at the Bazaar or use drops to start to build in some block/critical ratings and the usually power pip. In my last pass of Zafaria there seemed to be a lot more critical being thrown by the monsters. In Avalon I switch out for the farmed, Wyd-Oak Staff and have crafted the high critical block boots (86%).

I tend to use only necessary spells in my decks so having extras from gear tends to get in the way for me. I also tend to not put to much effort into temporary gear crafting. I find if I need any extra spells I can build the into my sideboard with Treasure Cards.

Life is a tough school because our all around is late in game and we must have the pips to cast it in reasonable amount of time so, altho, I try to focus on other stats in my gear I try to keep my power pip chance as high as I can, hence most of my gear is still lvl 56-60 for 100%. It also helps in healing because I can recover pips faster to be able to heal and then cast damage soon after. All stats my Life wizard is lacking I compensate for by being able to play that school quite well because it was my original wizard and I spent a lot of time learning it.

Mary
Thanks Mary,
That is very good advice. I know blocks are very important later on although in Zf it's annoying how our crits are always blocked but theirs get through on us.
I am nearly level 57 and have been using a staff I got from the Pharoah pack which has 6 cards and a small block percentage.
Can you recommend a good wand for this level? I'm having a break from WT since I'm already at Nordrilund but not leveled enough for my 58 pet or spell.
Is there anything worthwhile to craft atm or should I wait till I get to Zf or Av?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Sep 30, 2014 wrote:
Thanks Mary,
That is very good advice. I know blocks are very important later on although in Zf it's annoying how our crits are always blocked but theirs get through on us.
I am nearly level 57 and have been using a staff I got from the Pharoah pack which has 6 cards and a small block percentage.
Can you recommend a good wand for this level? I'm having a break from WT since I'm already at Nordrilund but not leveled enough for my 58 pet or spell.
Is there anything worthwhile to craft atm or should I wait till I get to Zf or Av?
Unfortunately there does come a time in the game where gear doesn't quite catch up with the game being presented to us and we flounder a bit. Least this has been my thoughts.

I usually try to purchase from the vendor in Wintertusk which is in the first area you quest in or Bazaar and it's the gear from Wintertusk that usually has the word Bear in it for some addition blocking. I think it's lvl 52 or so. They look like a spear.

Nice to hear from you Grand .

Mary