Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Snow Angel Level 58 Ice Spell

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
Hi Gtar,

I see that you are a programmer, and so was I for just over 15 years, fresh out of College. I have since then, moved on to a different job, and am no longer allowed to program, which I do very dearly miss.

You will see that I have started another posting on the Ice Wizard, and knowing your feelings on the School, I expect you to disapprove of the listing. Please allow me to state the following, it was written with intent in mind, and designed for purpose. I expect it to stir a strong reaction, and that is exactly what I want. The Storm Wizard raised the roof, I would like the Ice school to do the same.

The KI Managers/Programmers can note the reaction, at least that’s the best I can hope for. I could only ask, that you not reply and throw water on the embers.

Thanks,
Lion359.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2010
11
I think people are focusing on taunt too much. Yes, taunt is pretty much worthless. But other than that, I think Snow Angel is great. Since levels 58 wizards are getting power pips at/close to 100% rate, 8 pips are usually the same as 7 pips. So compare snow angel to frost giant. You get 60% more damage for the same effective # of pips! Sure, traps are problematic with a DOT spell and you lose the stun, but that just means you use FG or SA where each makes sense.

Looking at the other schools, I don't see such a great jump in power from their level 48 to level 58 spells. Life maybe, the others I just see as better, but not that much better.

Just an example of how cool snow angel is: try out the Coven solo with it. It isn't difficult at all to beat that group solo now for Ice. Blade up, amplify and then cast two enhanced SAs in a row. They are all toast unless they managed to get a weakness on you. I never came close beating the coven solo before I got SA.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Lion359 wrote:
Hi Gtar,

I see that you are a programmer, and so was I for just over 15 years, fresh out of College. I have since then, moved on to a different job, and am no longer allowed to program, which I do very dearly miss.

You will see that I have started another posting on the Ice Wizard, and knowing your feelings on the School, I expect you to disapprove of the listing. Please allow me to state the following, it was written with intent in mind, and designed for purpose. I expect it to stir a strong reaction, and that is exactly what I want. The Storm Wizard raised the roof, I would like the Ice school to do the same.

The KI Managers/Programmers can note the reaction, at least that’s the best I can hope for. I could only ask, that you not reply and throw water on the embers.

Thanks,
Lion359.

I'm afraid I already replied before I realized it was you that had posted. Hopefully, my post doesn't throw water on it. Hopefully I wasn't rude. Being my first class, I am somewhat defensive of it simply because of the amount of ridicule I hear heaped on it in these forums and in game. I hope you are able to get through to them, because even though I am fond of Ice, I think there are some things they have done to it along the way which can be very disheartening for players.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
nickcost wrote:
I think people are focusing on taunt too much. Yes, taunt is pretty much worthless. But other than that, I think Snow Angel is great. Since levels 58 wizards are getting power pips at/close to 100% rate, 8 pips are usually the same as 7 pips. So compare snow angel to frost giant. You get 60% more damage for the same effective # of pips! Sure, traps are problematic with a DOT spell and you lose the stun, but that just means you use FG or SA where each makes sense.

Looking at the other schools, I don't see such a great jump in power from their level 48 to level 58 spells. Life maybe, the others I just see as better, but not that much better.

Just an example of how cool snow angel is: try out the Coven solo with it. It isn't difficult at all to beat that group solo now for Ice. Blade up, amplify and then cast two enhanced SAs in a row. They are all toast unless they managed to get a weakness on you. I never came close beating the coven solo before I got SA.


Hey Nick. You make a good point. Aside from taunt, it is a decent spell. Arguably, the reason it jumps so much is because the ice rank 6 and 7 spell jumped so little. The other issue is that last time I checked, prisms (ice to fire damage convert) don't work properly with DoTs, but it is a confirmed and known bug, so hopefully that will be remedied soon if it isn't already. It really is decent damage for an AoE (attack all enemies) spell but it is frustrating knowing that it could potentially do more damage or have a useful side effect instead of taunt.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
552
I would like to say for this post i really think people should make an ice before they call us complainers, everyone that has said to us you guys its fine and it shouldnt be changed there all different schools primarily the schools that use ice to benefit themselves. Danielv is storm the people that want us to taunt, all the schools that get amazing spells and almost no problems with the school. If you ask me its just imbalanced is all and the fact remains that ice is some what imbalanced no one sees it because no one wants to make an ice anymore i would say around 40% of people that make an ice quit around krokotopia just finding people that are ice is rare and we dont have many people to speak out against these imbalances and because the people that want us to be weak completely outweighs the people that want the game to be fair and thats how its been and its obvious it most likely wont change.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
Hi Gtar,

I read your posting, and all I could do is grin, and the first thought that passed my mind was "The Best laid plans of Mice and Men". Your points (in this and the other posting) and your friend's points are well taken, and I had my son read all of them. I think that they changed his mind, and for that I would like to say "Thank you very much". Therefore, I am done posting, until the next crisis arises.

Thanks,
Lion359.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Lion359 wrote:
Hi Gtar,

I read your posting, and all I could do is grin, and the first thought that passed my mind was "The Best laid plans of Mice and Men". Your points (in this and the other posting) and your friend's points are well taken, and I had my son read all of them. I think that they changed his mind, and for that I would like to say "Thank you very much". Therefore, I am done posting, until the next crisis arises.

Thanks,
Lion359.


Hey Lion. I'm very happy to hear that. If I can help with anything else, just let me know. :)

Explorer
Sep 05, 2010
80
I'm not an ice student, but I agree that the taunt effect is kind of unfair. For instance if you were fighting Calypso, you wouldn't want her and all her minions to be attacking you only (if you were in a group). :?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Shockdude72 wrote:
I'm not an ice student, but I agree that the taunt effect is kind of unfair. For instance if you were fighting Calypso, you wouldn't want her and all her minions to be attacking you only (if you were in a group). :?


Hey Shockdude72. Its not that its unfair. When you attack all enemies, you should expect for them to attack you and of all the classes, ice is probably the most able to take the damage. Its that the taunt seldom helps to alter enemy behavior if others are attacking and healing, and its absolutely useless when you solo or PvP. It is frustrating to know that the spell could deal more damage, but instead its going to taunt them. That being said, its still a decent strategic attack spell for ice, and at least the taunt is useful perhaps 3 to 5 percent of the time.

Delver
Aug 01, 2009
251
Ice got the best level 58 spell there is, and I see tons of Ice students complaining about it.. LOL what?? It is a awesome spell, and for those of you complaining about, learn how to use it!! It is the most powerful thing right now. I am amazed. Learn how to use this spell to the ultimate, instead of hating it. It really is great, you guys are lucky.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
jakehjk3 wrote:
Ice got the best level 58 spell there is, and I see tons of Ice students complaining about it.. LOL what?? It is a awesome spell, and for those of you complaining about, learn how to use it!! It is the most powerful thing right now. I am amazed. Learn how to use this spell to the ultimate, instead of hating it. It really is great, you guys are lucky.


Hey Jake. Perhaps I am reading between the lines too much, but it seems to me that most Ice students (myself included) are only complaining about taunt on the spell. We are complaining because its practically useless and would prefer that it go away, if only to make the spell animation less time consuming. As to the most powerful thing right now... I completely disagree. Fire Dragon for instance, which is essentially the same spell for fire, does 440 + 351 over three rounds. Snow angel does 100 + 660 over three rounds. In addition to having greater aggregate damage (791 vs. 760) and lower pip cost (7 vs. 8), fire gear has a much greater damage boost than does ice. Not only does that fact further distance the degree of damage, but the fact that over four times as much damage is done up front by fire dragon means that it is often useful to place traps vs. using snow angel.

This is but one quick comparison. While I can't speak for everyone, I can speak for all the Ice students that I know personally when I say that we are satisfied with the damage, just not the taunt.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2081
jakehjk3 wrote:
Ice got the best level 58 spell there is, and I see tons of Ice students complaining about it.. LOL what?? It is a awesome spell, and for those of you complaining about, learn how to use it!! It is the most powerful thing right now. I am amazed. Learn how to use this spell to the ultimate, instead of hating it. It really is great, you guys are lucky.


I agree with you completely, it is the ultimate spell. Here is why, the Base damage is equal to the other rounds, so if you are going up against a shield, no huge loss, but the remaining rounds, you get the remaining boosts for massive damage. Not many can shield every single round.

Especially when you put a Gargantuan onto this spell and then get a critical hit, doing 1000 damage a round. or more with blades!

Ice is not weak, it is only the minds of those that think ice is!

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
552
darthjt wrote:
jakehjk3 wrote:
Ice got the best level 58 spell there is, and I see tons of Ice students complaining about it.. LOL what?? It is a awesome spell, and for those of you complaining about, learn how to use it!! It is the most powerful thing right now. I am amazed. Learn how to use this spell to the ultimate, instead of hating it. It really is great, you guys are lucky.


I agree with you completely, it is the ultimate spell. Here is why, the Base damage is equal to the other rounds, so if you are going up against a shield, no huge loss, but the remaining rounds, you get the remaining boosts for massive damage. Not many can shield every single round.

Especially when you put a Gargantuan onto this spell and then get a critical hit, doing 1000 damage a round. or more with blades!

Ice is not weak, it is only the minds of those that think ice is!


I think what dart and jake is saying is wrong of course if you put it in to the posisition of a critical and gargantuan of course it will sound good, the problem that lies is that ice cant critical often so get that idea out of your head because only rarely happnens, second off there is a "right" way to use this however i completely disagree that this evidently the strongest spell while you two can say it is good other ice people have started to quit over this thing about it with a DoT it will calculate more of the resistance and weaknesses can completely sabotage it, with the abundance in pets that have the ability spritely i have actually seen snow angel work completely against you. Third off lets look at the taunt its does not work in AoE because as long as others are still actually doing stuff it doesnt work out, and in pvp what is its use? I like that people are voicing out to change it and it shows more people want it changed then want it to stay and idk what school you guys are but the people that want it to change are ice. If you guys want it to stay be my guest all i want to point is that a majority would argue against you. Ice is meant to be weak and it makes all the more fun because it is a challenge.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
4
I agree with every body I would appreciate it if you made a few adjustments to the AoE or the damage because I have been discriminated

Defender
May 27, 2010
160
Blizzard49300 wrote:
OK i agree with almost everyone on this post(not including the people who think
the spell is OK) Snow Angel's taunt has GOT TO GO and why not give it an actually useful effect like a tower shield to all friends and make it do exact damage cause the DOT part not very useful since we can just use the 5 pip spell frostbite to help us get the shields off and for less pips along with steal ward cause it only costs two pips AND it gives us the shield as well as taking it from the enemy. Give Ice some recognition, just because we HAVE the ability to taunt does not mean we have to use it, I only got the spell so i could get the master of ice badge seriously KI give Ice something they will ACTUALLY use and here's the idea i came up for it( just so you know I went with this idea cause Ice needs another power spell other than frost giant) also I came up with some ideas for some of the other spells(not all of them though cause some are as good as they are) anyways here's my idea:
Snow Angel: should do exactly 700 damage on all enemies & give a tower shield to the entire team.
Ra(cause balance needs another power spell other than judgement): should do 750 on all enemies & give a balance blade to the entire team.
Skeletal Dragon( cause it may be a DOT but it could use some improvements): should do exactly 800(cause death needs a good hitter spell) damage & put a curse on all enemies( just to clear up any confusion it also should attack all enemies).
Forest Lord( this is just recommended as an improvement not actually necessary but still recommended): should do 650 damage and break a shield on all enemies(just to be clear its still an AoE but with an added effect).
but all most of us really ask is that you give ICE some recognition with the new spell.


I have made a few changes in my ideas for the spells now that i have seen the true power of DoT's
ok first snow angel back to DoT
second i raised the overtime damage a little
Snow Angel: 100+750 overtime to all enemies & Tower Shield to entire team
Seeing how useful a DoT is i decided to make skeletal dragon a DoT and an AoE kinda like snow angel but without an effect
Skeletal Dragon: whatever damage it is right now cause i forgot
to all enemies
Ra and Forest Lord are still the same though

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
552
gtarhannon wrote:
jakehjk3 wrote:
Ice got the best level 58 spell there is, and I see tons of Ice students complaining about it.. LOL what?? It is a awesome spell, and for those of you complaining about, learn how to use it!! It is the most powerful thing right now. I am amazed. Learn how to use this spell to the ultimate, instead of hating it. It really is great, you guys are lucky.


Hey Jake. Perhaps I am reading between the lines too much, but it seems to me that most Ice students (myself included) are only complaining about taunt on the spell. We are complaining because its practically useless and would prefer that it go away, if only to make the spell animation less time consuming. As to the most powerful thing right now... I completely disagree. Fire Dragon for instance, which is essentially the same spell for fire, does 440 + 351 over three rounds. Snow angel does 100 + 660 over three rounds. In addition to having greater aggregate damage (791 vs. 760) and lower pip cost (7 vs. 8), fire gear has a much greater damage boost than does ice. Not only does that fact further distance the degree of damage, but the fact that over four times as much damage is done up front by fire dragon means that it is often useful to place traps vs. using snow angel.

This is but one quick comparison. While I can't speak for everyone, I can speak for all the Ice students that I know personally when I say that we are satisfied with the damage, just not the taunt.


Gtar makes good point. I really think people that think snow angel is a really good spell dont really look at any facts or back up anything they say at all lol i have been trying to help out changing snow angel on the message boards and all these honest ice players and even players not our school our backing up how snow angel is really flawed while people for it to stay just say SNOW ANGEL IS AMAZING i'm all for your opinions but i really would like to some logic behind it. Sure you can learn how to use it but its just kind of well an embarrassment people will actually make fun of kids saying that like KI thinks we are such a joke that they put a taunt on our spell. I posted on changed the taunt to providing a balefrost but of course more people just said snow angel is fine. I have stated before a majority of players are for changing Snow Angel i dont get why people dont want us to voice out.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
17
rupertjames wrote:
For me this really levels out PvP :D thanks KI

How can you give ice a high attacking spell when at level 60 they have almost 4000 life? it doesnt make any sense?

Ice are defensive and they don't deserve any high attacking spell, but it will still rip off nearly half of all storms life.

Any higher and KI would have to lower ices life, and i bet there would be many who would hate that.


well that is very well said and i go six wizards one is an ice so i can relate to you but if you did a 3v3 pvp with a balance and a life you would live a lot longer becasue you would ahve the wards,shields,and heals that you need to live and i do agree with you ice should get a hard hitting spell

brianna winterhevan
lvl54
balance

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
552
rupertjames wrote:
For me this really levels out PvP :D thanks KI

How can you give ice a high attacking spell when at level 60 they have almost 4000 life? it doesnt make any sense?

Ice are defensive and they don't deserve any high attacking spell, but it will still rip off nearly half of all storms life.

Any higher and KI would have to lower ices life, and i bet there would be many who would hate that.


It doesnt level out pvp at all while my first school is ice and i always like to think that ice i really good. I have a myth, a life, and a balance. And ill say beating an ice in pvp is very very very easy to be honest sometimes i think its a joke that KI lets ice pvp with what they have lol. I lost at least 70 rank fleeing for ice kids because i felt sorry for them. Storm has always complained that ice has a lot of health but if you were in our shows you would have something real to complain over. I made a storm( now deleted) and i had no problems at all with it i could basically KO anyone and he was captain rank in not even an hour and a half took me two months to get captain on my ice. Snow angel is definitly a problem that needs fixing.

Defender
May 17, 2009
144
Honestly, why are you complaining? This is a DoT, AoE, and close to as powerful as Efreet and Medusa. I would be happy to have that instead of leviathan.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
552
maxitola2009 wrote:
Honestly, why are you complaining? This is a DoT, AoE, and close to as powerful as Efreet and Medusa. I would be happy to have that instead of leviathan.


Efreet and medusa will almost always come with a player that has amazing damage percent because of gear. And leviathan is amazing not only does it do one thousand damage it will remove 2 blades, with storms gear boost to attack it can do practically 1700 by itself not to mention blades. Not only that but storm criticals very very often you can take out any one person in one shot basically.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
23
Taunt may seem quite annoying, but it doesn't really make much of a difference. If you are fighting by yourself, they're attacking you anyway. If you are in a group, yeah , you do get attacked but the next time anyone else attacks with a big spell, all the monsters go for them. Also, with Ice's shields, health and resist, you won't lose much health compared to other schools.

Snow Angel is amazing. Leave it the way it is.
Daniel Level 60 Thaumaturge

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
32
i am a fire wiz so i don't care much for ice wate my sister is ice :x don't tell her i said that

Defender
May 27, 2010
160
thorvon65 wrote:
rupertjames wrote:
For me this really levels out PvP :D thanks KI

How can you give ice a high attacking spell when at level 60 they have almost 4000 life? it doesnt make any sense?

Ice are defensive and they don't deserve any high attacking spell, but it will still rip off nearly half of all storms life.

Any higher and KI would have to lower ices life, and i bet there would be many who would hate that.


It doesnt level out pvp at all while my first school is ice and i always like to think that ice i really good. I have a myth, a life, and a balance. And ill say beating an ice in pvp is very very very easy to be honest sometimes i think its a joke that KI lets ice pvp with what they have lol. I lost at least 70 rank fleeing for ice kids because i felt sorry for them. Storm has always complained that ice has a lot of health but if you were in our shows you would have something real to complain over. I made a storm( now deleted) and i had no problems at all with it i could basically KO anyone and he was captain rank in not even an hour and a half took me two months to get captain on my ice. Snow angel is definitly a problem that needs fixing.

Thorvon while we agree snow angel needs a better effect then a taunt i disagree with ice being easy to defeat, it was my first school so i know a lot of how to work with ice, one thing is ice is not a joke its one of the best schools right now but people dont see it cause of its low base damage but i will tell you if you ever face me you'll see ices true power cause i am able to beat even commanders with my strategy even though i have a low PvP rank cause i dont do much PvP anymore but i can say ice is one of the best and toughest schools, i've won against all other schools so ya ice is not weak and you dont need to think ice is weak and you dont need to feel sry for it, i mostly do PvP in my palace which is why i havent been ranking up, but anyways my point is ICE is one of the best schools now

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
234
Survivor
Jan 14, 2010
2
rupertjames wrote:
For me this really levels out PvP :D thanks KI

How can you give ice a high attacking spell when at level 60 they have almost 4000 life? it doesnt make any sense?

Ice are defensive and they don't deserve any high attacking spell, but it will still rip off nearly half of all storms life.

Any higher and KI would have to lower ices life, and i bet there would be many who would hate that.
Ice should have higher attack because if you solo you will die because you can only have six or seven tower shield and six or seven ice armours that might not show up in you casting selection.