Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Snow Angel Level 58 Ice Spell

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
danielv105 wrote:

Um in your senario, I would LOVE for you to taun the enemies so that I live. And yes, taunt does work ok. I've seen it in action. One of my best friends is a ice wizard and he taunts to keep me alive, the storm guy. If you dont like the strength of your school, CHANGE YOUR SCHOOL! Look at the handbook whatever and look for a school that suits your style. Thats all I have to say.Simple right? Easy as pie=3.14. 8)


You are clearly not understanding. I am more than happy with my school. I have soloed everything in the game (with the exception of Malistaire, cause you need three people for the crystals). I constantly get requests for help and I am rarely defeated (and that goes for the members of my party). I work on computers for a living and fully understand how the AI routines guiding the monster behavior works. I guarantee you that taunt only works in limited situations. Mega-Taunt, on the other hand, does work in more situations but at the cost of more pips. Unless you, the storm wizard, have already started hitting the monsters, the mere act of attacking the monsters will make you a target. I do it all the time with blizzard. There is absolutely nothing about the taunt on this spell that is useful.

Perhaps you like the psychological effect of seeing the taunt. It makes me laugh too, so that's cool. But I'm talking about cold hard mathematical facts. In that realm, the effective area of usefulness is so narrow that it may as well not exist. Why is it that you almost never see anyone cast the taunt spell? Think about that. If you think that the monsters are attacking your friend because his spell ends in taunt, then I would submit to you that your logic is flawed and you need to improve your observational skills.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2009
68
yea why the taunt? if you fight against enemies and you do some lvl 48/58 spell (take rebirth for an example) the enemies all start attacking you, like you've put some automatic taunt on them. i'd like it to change to either stealing a ward (like in the spell you get in krokotopia for ice wizards), a tower shield for all friends, or an ice armor that absorbed exactly 1/2 of what the spell did in total for yourself (like the healing in scarecrow, except in absorbs) the other schools get cool after-attack things, we can't we?

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
4
A small armor or ward steal would be nice, I just don't like the taunt. When I fight alone (most of the time) taunt is no good to me. When I fight with others it's going to make everything attack me The other schools get much cooler bonuses for pvp.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
5
Since we are talking about Snow Angel here i was wondering if it hits all enemies too or if it hits one enemy then taunts the rest?

Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
38
danielv105 wrote:
Well to be honest, I dont know why ice wizards are complaining about snow angel. I like it when ice wizards use taunt like spells to keep the heat off the other players, plus since ice focuses on high defenses, it should not bother you because thats your role as a ice wizard.

Though I am storm, I dont put down ice wizard. Sure we have awe inspiring attacks, but our defense is TERRIBLE! You cant imangine how many times i've been one hit K-O'ed in pvp. Storm and ice are opposites, which might explain why some storm wizards are putting down ice wizards, though its no excuse.

As for its use in pvp, it is somewhat worthless. If taunt worked like a reverse beguile, that is making all enemies forced to attack you, it might have a promising role in the future.Ice is one of the coolest schools in the game(no pun intended).


I think you're wrong about storm and ice being opposites ice is opposite of fire and storm is opposite of myth

Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
38
I agree with everyone that says taunt is useless my myth wizard's minotaur minion has it and it never works the way it was designed to work so I quit using him because that is about all he does either the taunt spell should be redesigned or dropped from the game entirely it just ins't any good the way it is

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
jordanhawk wrote:
Since we are talking about Snow Angel here i was wondering if it hits all enemies too or if it hits one enemy then taunts the rest?


Hey Jordan. I was confused as well till I got it. It does indeed attack and taunt all enemies.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2008
33
gtarhannon
death drain has allways been a death ability
it is not a second effect as it has allways been part of the school
second effect is something that is what is not something normal to the school
if memory severs me right death dont have a bust all shield to level 48
and life don't have one till 58
you know how i feels when one your best spells is your attack all bust all shields
same with myth earth quack i do not count it as a 2 effect
as it has all ways did it since game came out
second effects did not start till the 48 spells came out
if i r ember right snow angle was a one person attack then was changed to a attack all
so i still say be thank full death has yet to get a second effect that is not normal for the school something other than drain

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
smo68 wrote:
gtarhannon
death drain has allways been a death ability
it is not a second effect as it has allways been part of the school
second effect is something that is what is not something normal to the school
if memory severs me right death dont have a bust all shield to level 48
and life don't have one till 58
you know how i feels when one your best spells is your attack all bust all shields
same with myth earth quack i do not count it as a 2 effect
as it has all ways did it since game came out
second effects did not start till the 48 spells came out
if i r ember right snow angle was a one person attack then was changed to a attack all
so i still say be thank full death has yet to get a second effect that is not normal for the school something other than drain


Just because its always been an ability doesn't mean it isn't a two part attack. Same thing applied to minotaur, or hydra (the only 3 part attack I can think of), etc. As to the snow angel changing, I believe there was just a lot of confusion on the spell (possibly started by the youtube video only showing it attack one lost soul in unicorn way). As to the second effect, the second effects have all been normal to the school they are applied to. They just don't all get applied all along the progression of the school such as death and myth.

I do think that the death spell should have an after effect, but, on the bright side, since it is a damage spell, you can boost the damage using gargantuan, tough, strong, and the like which you couldn't do on the death drain spells. Also, the damage on the spell is extraordinary and helps tremendously when fighting bosses. Having said all that... You're entitled to your opinion.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2009
3
there is a reason that snow angel has taunt, guys! the stun is not very useful in some places, then just ignore it! am i mad that the stun on frost giant doesn't work on some bosses? no! if you don't like that your getting hit all of the time then put on a few towers and an ice armor and think again. maybe you should think of putting some shields on before you use it so you don't die because you didn't put your clothes on that have a ton of resists! the resists are going to be better than the dragonspyre stuff, so the attacks do less damage and you survive longer!

if you can't deal with snow angel having a tauant then i don't think you should be an ice wizard.

hope this helps,

william starweaver, grandmaster ice

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
matthat10 wrote:
there is a reason that snow angel has taunt, guys! the stun is not very useful in some places, then just ignore it! am i mad that the stun on frost giant doesn't work on some bosses? no! if you don't like that your getting hit all of the time then put on a few towers and an ice armor and think again. maybe you should think of putting some shields on before you use it so you don't die because you didn't put your clothes on that have a ton of resists! the resists are going to be better than the dragonspyre stuff, so the attacks do less damage and you survive longer!

if you can't deal with snow angel having a tauant then i don't think you should be an ice wizard.

hope this helps,

william starweaver, grandmaster ice


Ok. How many times does this have to be explained? Taunt is an almost useless spell. If I cast snow angel and it didn't have taunt, I would be just as likely to have all the bosses attack me. This isn't an issue of worrying about getting hit. How hard is that to understand? The issue is that the after effect of the spell is almost completely useless. Taunt also has the added bonus of being useless when you solo, and when you PvP. Stun is useful a lot of the time in a lot of situations. It is ridiculous in every way to have taunt on this spell and I was hoping that KI would see that and either remove taunt (hopefully for slightly more damage) or even give us stun or something useful again.

Pretty, pretty please... Quit telling us that we're ice and we can last forever and so we shouldn't be worried about getting hit. That is not the point or the issue. It never has been.

Defender
May 27, 2010
160
OK i agree with almost everyone on this post(not including the people who think
the spell is OK) Snow Angel's taunt has GOT TO GO and why not give it an actually useful effect like a tower shield to all friends and make it do exact damage cause the DOT part not very useful since we can just use the 5 pip spell frostbite to help us get the shields off and for less pips along with steal ward cause it only costs two pips AND it gives us the shield as well as taking it from the enemy. Give Ice some recognition, just because we HAVE the ability to taunt does not mean we have to use it, I only got the spell so i could get the master of ice badge seriously KI give Ice something they will ACTUALLY use and here's the idea i came up for it( just so you know I went with this idea cause Ice needs another power spell other than frost giant) also I came up with some ideas for some of the other spells(not all of them though cause some are as good as they are) anyways here's my idea:
Snow Angel: should do exactly 700 damage on all enemies & give a tower shield to the entire team.
Ra(cause balance needs another power spell other than judgement): should do 750 on all enemies & give a balance blade to the entire team.
Skeletal Dragon( cause it may be a DOT but it could use some improvements): should do exactly 800(cause death needs a good hitter spell) damage & put a curse on all enemies( just to clear up any confusion it also should attack all enemies).
Forest Lord( this is just recommended as an improvement not actually necessary but still recommended): should do 650 damage and break a shield on all enemies(just to be clear its still an AoE but with an added effect).
but all most of us really ask is that you give ICE some recognition with the new spell.

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
79
For me this really levels out PvP :D thanks KI

How can you give ice a high attacking spell when at level 60 they have almost 4000 life? it doesnt make any sense?

Ice are defensive and they don't deserve any high attacking spell, but it will still rip off nearly half of all storms life.

Any higher and KI would have to lower ices life, and i bet there would be many who would hate that.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
rupertjames wrote:
For me this really levels out PvP :D thanks KI

How can you give ice a high attacking spell when at level 60 they have almost 4000 life? it doesnt make any sense?

Ice are defensive and they don't deserve any high attacking spell, but it will still rip off nearly half of all storms life.

Any higher and KI would have to lower ices life, and i bet there would be many who would hate that.


Rupert. Ice at level 60 is just over 2000 base life. While it is true that they can get in around 4000 life with gear, its rare for me to meet one much above the low 3000s because getting that much is done at the expense of shielding, power pips, etc. Putting that aside for a minute, I think you're missing the point. The point is that taunt is useless. How would you feel if you got your big rank 8 spell and it included a "feature" that was useless 98% of the time, possibly 99% since you have to build 8 pips to use it which means someone on your team is likely to have healed once or cast their own attack in the meantime? Would you want your complaints to fall on deaf ears? Would you want it fixed? Sure there are folks in here that would finally like to have one big hitting spell, but realistically, most are just annoyed about the taunt.

As to how useless taunt is, let me give you an example. A friend I was playing with cast scarecrow, after I had already cast taunt once. Just the one cast of scarecrow with a death blade and a spirit blade. That's all. I cast taunt 3 more times (at a cost of two pips per cast mind you) after that. The enemies never switched their focus back to me. Does that sound useful? Would you feel it "balanced" things out if the shoe was on the other foot? Since you are obviously concerned with PvP, would you be happy if the "effect" of your rank 8 spell had absolutely zero effect in PvP?

The fact that its there, and that by itself costs 2 pips to cast implies that the spell could be more damaging, or have a useful side effect. Its insulting that 99% of the time you have to sit there and watch this truly useless effect knowing full well that its a waste of 2 of those eight pips.


Survivor
Nov 28, 2009
8
I worked so long and so hard for my ice wizard and wizard101 keeps on letting me down every single time! First the wild bolt and now the snow angel. Seriously I don't feel like playing it anymore. I feel all my money was wasted

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
9
anothet complainer geez you guys now its swnow angel oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!! me in my opinion ice angel is fine nothing to be changed. you guys be happy with your spell and move on! the spelll in not gonna kill you!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
lionfly wrote:
anothet complainer geez you guys now its swnow angel oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!! me in my opinion ice angel is fine nothing to be changed. you guys be happy with your spell and move on! the spelll in not gonna kill you!


The complaints about snow angel predate the wild bolt debacle. While I personally don't understand taking the position of quitting the game or canceling my subscription over it, it is a flawed spell. The flaw, while useless and a little insulting, is not a critical flaw like both versions of wild bolt. It is still a useful spell and I will continue to use it regardless.

However, I will probably still get annoyed when I have to sit through the second half of the animation where it performs the useless part of the spell.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
9
lantingjack wrote:
I worked so long and so hard for my ice wizard and wizard101 keeps on letting me down every single time! First the wild bolt and now the snow angel. Seriously I don't feel like playing it anymore. I feel all my money was wasted
then quit nobody is gonna complain :x

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
43
Not saying I have a problem with this spell, because it is VERY cool, but it is too WEAK! I am serious! Ice even though has high health we have LOW attacks! Like for instance frost beetle, it is just short of IMP! And imp is life! I thought life was supposed to be weak only for healing! Forest lord is cool but thats awesome. Snow angel should do maybe 750 to 800 damage! Please give us ice wizards some credit here please KI! Really a taunt? Taunts are weak to me allot!

Nathan Bluesinger level 57 ( almost one level to be ) legendary thaumaturge

TY for reading.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
oceanman123 wrote:
Not saying I have a problem with this spell, because it is VERY cool, but it is too WEAK! I am serious! Ice even though has high health we have LOW attacks! Like for instance frost beetle, it is just short of IMP! And imp is life! I thought life was supposed to be weak only for healing! Forest lord is cool but thats awesome. Snow angel should do maybe 750 to 800 damage! Please give us ice wizards some credit here please KI! Really a taunt? Taunts are weak to me allot!

Nathan Bluesinger level 57 ( almost one level to be ) legendary thaumaturge

TY for reading.


I'd like KI to drop taunt and increase the damage a bit. However, at this point, I just don't see that happening. There does not seem to be very many ice wizards in the game and if I'm wrong, then they clearly are not very vocal. If all the rather heated storm wizards posting about the wild bolt "fix" cannot sway them, I'm pretty certain they don't care about the arguments in this thread. On the bright side, it is a decent damage spell now that your gear is taken into account. Just blade up before hand, maybe throw a balefrost. It kills most enemies within a couple rounds, and its great for keeping the shields stripped off of ice enemies. It might even help kill ice enemies if they would ever get around to fixing the prism bug when prisms are used with Damage over Time spells.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
My son is a Ice Wizard (my other son is a Fire Wizard), and I have watched him play this game for over three months now. The ICE Wizard is fairly weak compared to Storm, Fire and Death Wizards. On the other hand, he does have more health, and does have good shields. Joe has been pushing hard for Level 58, until he read this message board, and saw what his level 58 Ice spell was going to be.

KI, I respectfully disagree with the Spell, especially since when most players decide to take on ICE, they have no idea how weak they are.
Giving them a spell that doesn't even do the damage of a Storm level 42 spell or a or a Level 42 Fire spell is just simply unfair. To not bring the ICE Wizard up to a respectable level is the game seems to be a direct insult to the ICE wizards in the game. Please give them a reason to try to attain Level 58, not a reason to not care if they make it.

At this point, I have decided to stop buying him cards, so that he will decide to stop playing.
I know that KI has changed Wild Bolt, and even changed Balefrost, hopefully they will change this unjust and unfair Spell. I'm afraid that in this one part of the game you should have had a better strategy meeting.

If you are an ICE Wizard, you should make your voice heard, add a post.

Respectfully your,
Fred.

PS: The game is a well thought out game (except for the Level 58 ICE spell), I have even taken a Death Wizard up to level 14.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Lion359 wrote:
My son is a Ice Wizard (my other son is a Fire Wizard), and I have watched him play this game for over three months now. The ICE Wizard is fairly weak compared to Storm, Fire and Death Wizards. On the other hand, he does have more health, and does have good shields. Joe has been pushing hard for Level 58, until he read this message board, and saw what his level 58 Ice spell was going to be.

Hey Lion. While I have been critical of Snow Angel in this thread because adding taunt onto the spell is frankly useless, I would like to offer some encouragement about the spell here. First off, it is an AoE (Area of Effect) spell so it will attack all enemies. When Celestia was released, they fixed DoT (Damage over Time) so that any gear boosts you have apply to each round of the DoT which makes these kinds of spells much better in general. Second, ice boosts (blades, balefrost, etc) are substantially higher than the storm or fire equivalent spells, so you hit plenty hard after casting a couple of buffs.

Lion359 wrote:
KI, I respectfully disagree with the Spell, especially since when most players decide to take on ICE, they have no idea how weak they are.
Giving them a spell that doesn't even do the damage of a Storm level 42 spell or a or a Level 42 Fire spell is just simply unfair. To not bring the ICE Wizard up to a respectable level is the game seems to be a direct insult to the ICE wizards in the game. Please give them a reason to try to attain Level 58, not a reason to not care if they make it.

It is important to note that both level 42 spells for storm and fire are single hitters and not AoE spells. AoE spells always hit for lower damage than single hitters at the same rank. While its not a lot of damage when compared to storm and fire, it is a lot of damage on the scale of ice. The base damage for Frost Giant is 475 compared to 760 (100 + 660 over 3 rds) for snow angel. Just to give you an idea of the damage you can do. My gear boost to ice damage is current 34%. If you add gargantuan (+225 to damage spells) to it, the base damage becomes 213 + 773 (the astute will notice you gain an extra point of damage because of rounding when it splits the difference) over 3 rounds. If I cast just one single ice blade (+40%) as a boost, I am dealing the damage below:

1.34 * 1.40 = 1.876
1.876 * 213 = 399.588 (initial strike)
1.876 * 773 = 1450.148 over three rounds
1450.148 / 3 = 483.3826666666667 (per round)

So, to sum up, that's effectively 1850 to all enemies with only a single blade which was a zero pip spell. Obviously, his mileage will vary depending on his gear boost, but that is truly significant damage when you consider how tough ice is to kill. Its also the spell ice needed for fighting fire enemies, who tend to spam ice shields.

Lion359 wrote:
At this point, I have decided to stop buying him cards, so that he will decide to stop playing.
I know that KI has changed Wild Bolt, and even changed Balefrost, hopefully they will change this unjust and unfair Spell. I'm afraid that in this one part of the game you should have had a better strategy meeting.

I'm not aware of any change to balefrost. I just checked and mine is still +35%. Frostbite changed (got a little stronger), but its my understanding that all damage over time spells in the game got a bit stronger.

Lion359 wrote:
If you are an ICE Wizard, you should make your voice heard, add a post.

Respectfully your,
Fred.

PS: The game is a well thought out game (except for the Level 58 ICE spell), I have even taken a Death Wizard up to level 14.

Taunt needs to be dropped, preferably in exchange even 50 (perhaps 100?) more base damage to the initial strike. However, I hope I have illustrated that the spell itself is far from useless. If you need any help or assistance, let me know. I'd even be happy to meet up in game if there is a part he's stuck on.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
To: gtarhannon,

Hi gtar,

Thanks for the reply, and I agree with your statements, I can't disagree with any of them. Also, I was incorrect, it was Frostbite that was increased. I seldom get to play the game, and the memory must be sliding.

I really do appreciate the offer of help for Joe, but I expect that with the help of his brother (a Fire Wizard), he will do fine.

I guess the real point here is not the Spell itself, but the effect it had on my son. He has been looking forward to a spell that would allow him to play in PvP. He had gotten high hope that this would put him in the ranks of Fire, Death, Storm, and Myth. I guess that is not to be, as KI has made a decision, that many seem to disagree with. I agree with you, force feeding Taunt into the spell seems unfair. I know that KI has had many complaints on the Ice Wizards health, and they appear to be trying to please everyone, in one way or the other.

We sat down last night for an hour, and looked at different options of using the spells that he has now. Adding Monsterious at 175 pts, seemed a likely choice, so we purchased 30 cards, and made supply of Treasure cards to boost his spells. I think this is a feasible option for him, and will keep him happy for now.

He has also decided not to go after the quest to attain the new spell. He see no use for it, when he has a spell that can do just about the same damge to multiple opponents as a treasure card.

Again, thanks for the reply,
Lion359.


Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Lion359 wrote:
To: gtarhannon,

Hi gtar,

Thanks for the reply, and I agree with your statements, I can't disagree with any of them. Also, I was incorrect, it was Frostbite that was increased. I seldom get to play the game, and the memory must be sliding.

I really do appreciate the offer of help for Joe, but I expect that with the help of his brother (a Fire Wizard), he will do fine.

I guess the real point here is not the Spell itself, but the effect it had on my son. He has been looking forward to a spell that would allow him to play in PvP. He had gotten high hope that this would put him in the ranks of Fire, Death, Storm, and Myth. I guess that is not to be, as KI has made a decision, that many seem to disagree with. I agree with you, force feeding Taunt into the spell seems unfair. I know that KI has had many complaints on the Ice Wizards health, and they appear to be trying to please everyone, in one way or the other.

We sat down last night for an hour, and looked at different options of using the spells that he has now. Adding Monsterious at 175 pts, seemed a likely choice, so we purchased 30 cards, and made supply of Treasure cards to boost his spells. I think this is a feasible option for him, and will keep him happy for now.

He has also decided not to go after the quest to attain the new spell. He see no use for it, when he has a spell that can do just about the same damge to multiple opponents as a treasure card.

Again, thanks for the reply,
Lion359.



Hey Lion. Monstrous is a good option for making treasure cards. You can also learn the gargantuan sun spell (+225 to damage) from the sun trainer in the floating land. I know that playing ice isn't easy and requires a lot of patience. However, there is real strategic value for getting Snow Angel, both for PvP and PvE. For Instance. If you shield, buff, shield, buff, until you get 7 full power pips, you can cast a Gargantuan Snow angel which will immediately strip 2 shields (and 2 more over time) from each enemy. You can immediately follow that with a gargantuan Frost Giant, which will likely deal full damage and stun anyone who lives through it. The health and massive resist (mine is 37% resist to all) is a major tactical advantage, particularly combined with shields, etc. It gives you the ability to last long enough to set up for big hurt spells.

At any rate, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I am enthusiastic about the Ice class, even though many like to poke fun at the low base damage. Just remember that patience and long term strategy is what Ice is built on.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2010
1
Well i think snowangel is fair.Thats beacuse i am life life only has one attack spell and you guys got many.and think about all of your defenses?You guys got lots of them life doesn't.So just think about what you guys do have and not what you dont have.