Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

All level 88 spells way too tough

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
79
Duelist101's Heather Shadowslinger has an excellent guide to how to deal with getting these spells here:

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-spell-guides/wizard101-1v3-solo-quest-strategy-breakdown/

She recommends against henchmen and gives some general strategic advice in this post. She also has a series of specific deck and gear recommendations along with videos for each specific level 88 school spell in the W101 Spell Guides section.

Good luck!

Scarlet
Mercenaries101

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2638
Pinzy35 on Aug 8, 2013 wrote:
I feel how everyone is about this topic. Yesterday, I recently leveled up to 88, and was excited to go get my Sun Serpent spell. I already knew about this fight, and it would be a tough 3 against 1. I've already lost count of how many times I've tried to fight Tolkemec and his minions. (Smoking Mirror Zombies.) I know Kingsisle put this to give a challenge to higher level players. I honestly don't want this, it's been pretty annoying since Zafaria, and I'd like to have a change of pace. I mean, a game doesn't have to be over-the-top difficult with bosses and mobs. It can be fairly easy and still be enjoyable. I really don't want to spend 5$ on crowns for minions either. So I don't know what to do, it seems like the game is unplayable now, and the only way to play it is if you spend money or bug your friends to help you, which I normally don't like doing, but I have to now. Please Kingsisle, something needs to be done about this.
What we want and once got out of the game is not what the majority of the people now playing games want.

If battles aren't difficult to insanely difficult they see no challenge to it and would quit. What we see as impossible or stressful they see as a great challenge, fun, fun, fun.

We can respond by not renewing/buying membership or crowns any more but the majority of the people who are finding the new Wizard101 "fun" clearly pay to play more, so it's possible that there is money to be had with this type of game format?

In the end it's safe to say everyone's definition of "Fun" is different. I think for me it's just that I over stayed my welcome, all of the people I started this game with left a long time ago, before Celestia, I stuck it out. I have been too lazy to find another game that fits my play style better so am just getting what I deserve. We can also look at this as KI's way of weeding out the weak so they can progress on with more difficult content.

I am pretty sure my sub will expire before I have to drag another wizard though AZ and I actually look forward to that. I may go though AV but am sure I won't repeat AZ again anyway.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
3
true it took hours for me to do it. if they had minion with 17000 health and boss with 20000 it would be better

Explorer
Oct 29, 2011
55
I think spell quests are supposed to be very tough. The fire quest for the minion ( first one ) was super tough as on had 2500 health and the other 2000 and at marleybone that was super tough. And then there is the efreet spell quest, where the boss has 15000 health which is way too much for that level. I mean, that is during celestia where some boss have 9000 - 12000, but 15000 is way too much and impossible, the fire quest was quite easy in level 88 though. I think all schools have their tough break at some time, and the challenge is to beat it! In the level 22 quest mentioned above it took me 20 turns, in the efreet quest it took me more than 30 tries to finally get the idea, so you just have to keep trying and break through that barrier

Explorer
Oct 29, 2011
55
Survivor
Jan 04, 2012
6
i feel ya. i am also a level 88 balance wizard. i die before getting one attack out

Survivor
Jan 04, 2012
6
Potato Tomato on Dec 25, 2012 wrote:
After i failed trying to get saber tooth i came here to the message boards to say something about this but i dont think its just the balance having trouble. It seems like every single boss is too hard. I am not interested in just making the balanc eone easier i want them all to become easier. My problems with the 88 spell boss is him mana burn and stuns. I equip conviction to max and get some punishments in as well but every single time my conviction runs out and wont show up they stun me its like they can see your cards before you cast them. i have bought endless amounts of tower shield treasure cards but it just wont cut it. the ice enemies go first and ust snow angel then balance boss uses sabertooth and guess what. One of the three attacks i can use against balance ( since we dont have converts or more other school damage spells) is blocked off chimera becomes pointless i wont waste so many pips just to break three shields or waste so many pips just to chimera the shields off. i think something should definitly ( never remember how to spell that word ) be done to make these bosses easier instead of having other players telling us to use better tactics.

Ryan Owlblade level 88 balance and other characters
i agree with you 100% i am also a balance wizard trying to get saber tooth.

Survivor
May 15, 2012
21
It may seem like a really rough a brutal battle but... don't worry you will get your spell in time
it took me about 80-90 tries to get ra till my good friend gave me this advice "Just wait till your 4 levels above your current level then try again" either that or just use a tiny glitch that helped me get my sabertooth.

Glitch= two person mount,
1. go to the solo boss fight, mark spot
2.exit the solo boss fight
3. get friends
4.this is most important have fun, and beat the snot out of the boss

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
30
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
I had an easier time of getting my L88 spell (just one try), but that's because I'm Ice and have really good stats. That's not to say that other Ice or other schools will have an easy time.

I've seen many many posts of people trying their hardest to get their L88 spell. The highest amount of tries I've seen so far is 55 times! What makes it tougher is that you have to do it alone. No one can port in to help you. It shouldn't be THAT hard for everyone to get their spell. It's ridiculous.

I feel for you and I feel for others who are struggling to get their spell. I wish I could help you by porting in, I really really do.

Well, hopefully I can get my level 88 death spell without using any crowns. In general, whenever I face three or more enemies, I just repeatedly use scarecrow until the minions die, and then I hit the boss. For those who have trouble, I'd recommend getting better gear. Usually WW gear or crafted gear is the best available gear, as well as no auction items from bosses. Empowerment treasure cards are also very useful, because you can get tons of extra pips, which can be used to let you attack faster. If your current strategy isn't working, change it until you find something that works.

Nicholas DeathWeaver, lvl 87

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2638
Sabrina AngleHeart on Oct 4, 2013 wrote:
It may seem like a really rough a brutal battle but... don't worry you will get your spell in time
it took me about 80-90 tries to get ra till my good friend gave me this advice "Just wait till your 4 levels above your current level then try again" either that or just use a tiny glitch that helped me get my sabertooth.

Glitch= two person mount,
1. go to the solo boss fight, mark spot
2.exit the solo boss fight
3. get friends
4.this is most important have fun, and beat the snot out of the boss
Unfortunately we can not wait 4 levels to get this spell since there is no level 92 yet.

The glitch you mention is not valid for this instance, it says "can not set a mark here". As far as I know this may or may not still work with Mirror Lake but that is about it.

There is no fun to be derived from battling an instance that is more difficult then the current content you are dealing with in general, 80-90 times.

I would gain no fulfillment from battling something so many times, only relief that I didn't have to waste my time with it any more.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
488
Potato Tomato on Dec 25, 2012 wrote:
After i failed trying to get saber tooth i came here to the message boards to say something about this but i dont think its just the balance having trouble. It seems like every single boss is too hard. I am not interested in just making the balanc eone easier i want them all to become easier. My problems with the 88 spell boss is him mana burn and stuns. I equip conviction to max and get some punishments in as well but every single time my conviction runs out and wont show up they stun me its like they can see your cards before you cast them. i have bought endless amounts of tower shield treasure cards but it just wont cut it. the ice enemies go first and ust snow angel then balance boss uses sabertooth and guess what. One of the three attacks i can use against balance ( since we dont have converts or more other school damage spells) is blocked off chimera becomes pointless i wont waste so many pips just to break three shields or waste so many pips just to chimera the shields off. i think something should definitly ( never remember how to spell that word ) be done to make these bosses easier instead of having other players telling us to use better tactics.

Ryan Owlblade level 88 balance and other characters
Sabertooth is hard? I better get prepared...
-Molly level 82

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
30
Pendragon slayer on Oct 5, 2013 wrote:
Well, hopefully I can get my level 88 death spell without using any crowns. In general, whenever I face three or more enemies, I just repeatedly use scarecrow until the minions die, and then I hit the boss. For those who have trouble, I'd recommend getting better gear. Usually WW gear or crafted gear is the best available gear, as well as no auction items from bosses. Empowerment treasure cards are also very useful, because you can get tons of extra pips, which can be used to let you attack faster. If your current strategy isn't working, change it until you find something that works.

Nicholas DeathWeaver, lvl 87
Okay, now I am level 88, and I got the new spell easily. A few scarecrows let me kill the minions and get back to full health, and then dr. von killed the boss. Empowerment did really help me, so I'd highly recommend buying that treasure card from the bazaar. I'm excited to finally use Avenging Fossil!

Nicholas DeathWeaver, lvl 88

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
241
Sabretooth is a crummy spell, not worth getting unless you're fighting with others. Too many pips to cast it, stick with Chimera and the other Balance spells. Once again, KingsIsle holds out hopes of cool stuff if we just persevere, and disappoints us. Reference Aquila (been there done that, I didn't get anything I could use within my school) the Loremaster (did it like 12 times, didn't get any new spells). Atm I'm hating KingsIsle because of Cipactli in Azteca, I kinda think they're full of it, cuz i obey the dance and still get killed. LOL!

Survivor
Oct 19, 2011
1
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
I had an easier time of getting my L88 spell (just one try), but that's because I'm Ice and have really good stats. That's not to say that other Ice or other schools will have an easy time.

I've seen many many posts of people trying their hardest to get their L88 spell. The highest amount of tries I've seen so far is 55 times! What makes it tougher is that you have to do it alone. No one can port in to help you. It shouldn't be THAT hard for everyone to get their spell. It's ridiculous.

I feel for you and I feel for others who are struggling to get their spell. I wish I could help you by porting in, I really really do.

well i am only lvl 50 and i think that if people cant complete it kingsile might have made it a little bit far fetched but idk if 1 person can get it than every one else should be able to i just don't no. I kingsiles wizard101 but are they making it a bit far fetched for wizards now.

Explorer
Dec 10, 2008
57
For those of you who aren't storm, i'll give you the run-down on how our level 88 quest works. It's three Tempest Eels (ice), with 4420 Health each. They use the -15% aurora a lot and spam tower shields beyond belief. It was a fair challence considering they always go first, they were ice, and storm has low health.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Blaze Skullthorn on Nov 25, 2013 wrote:
For those of you who aren't storm, i'll give you the run-down on how our level 88 quest works. It's three Tempest Eels (ice), with 4420 Health each. They use the -15% aurora a lot and spam tower shields beyond belief. It was a fair challence considering they always go first, they were ice, and storm has low health.
They made it a lot easier then. When I did it they had 5650 health, they also spam stuns or do two Frost Giants same round so they can stun you again next round. It was very difficult to get through, but nowhere near impossible.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2009
1
Personally balance fighting balance is not fun. It can be done if you spend enough crowns. The boss you fight to get a school spell should NOT be your school. At least give players a chance to defeat them without crowns. I did it on the second try. I use life level 70 henchmen, fire level 70 henchmen and storm level 70 henchmen, replace if they die.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
23
you know i'm not on lvl 88 yet but the last boss for wooly was really tough. honestly we beet him by pure luck. I criticaled then he didn't block by pure luck.

honestly i'm a little scared and don't even get me started on wanadi. so after seeing this i'm most likely going to just buy henchmen.

sincerely Robert Nightwhisper

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
47
Honestly, its just the balance quest. They aren't all way too tough. The quest to get Sabertooth is insane..

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
5
I actually got the Balance spell my first try.

Don't hurt me.

What I did was stacked my deck full of Availing Hands and Tower Shields and took almost all my Balance school attacks out of my deck to be replaced with lots of Chimeras along with Spirit Traps and Spirit Blades. Plus, it's super helpful if you've got a Transmute Treant trained, though you can buy that card from the Archivist. Make sure you have two or three Reshuffles too.

It'll be a long, hard slog of a battle- I think I went for an hour and a half to two hours on this particular battle. Just be patient, and if your health drops below 2,000 points you should definitely use an Availing Hands (and if you can afford them, a Guiding Light from your Treasure Cards) because their criticals can be killer. I ended up using a Reshuffle after each minion because I went through so many shields and blades trying to make sure I was ready for my eventual turn to attack.

Nerys is super helpful too. The minion won't do anything too huge, but it'll give you blades and shields and draw fire for a few rounds, which can be heaven sent in these kinds of battles. If you have the Azteca Star School trainer open, I highly recommend Chastisement and Punishment for this battle as well.

Good luck!


Destiny Moonblossom - Level 89 Sorcerer
Grace Dreamrider- Level 44 Theurgist
Genevieve Owlrider- Level 19 Conjurer

Survivor
Jan 20, 2009
2
Well personally, I had a very easy time fighting the eels (Level 88 ). I guess the cards came in my favor this time. But yes I would also recommend getting the empowerment spell. It will get you pips faster, causing you attack more frequently

-Stephen Shadow, Level 88

Explorer
Feb 18, 2010
72
The storm one is extremely easy, in fact. No boss, just 3 eels with 5000 health, just a few blades with a colossal sirens and you are done.

Explorer
Aug 30, 2009
91
getting mine was easy, on my fourth try i won with a talos minion and we spammed frog...

christo Mythspear 88

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
212
Yeah, it's because it's a balance boss. You have no prisms, so you have to depend on those attack 3 times spells. (idk what to call it) Umm, to make you feel better, life has to take down... something with a tower shield...? But, yeah to be completely honest, the though of doing the life level 58 spell makes me sick.

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, level 56 theurgist

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
241
I got killed twice trying to get the level 88 balance spell, then gave up and hired two henchmen. I'm lucky I can afford to buy Crowns, I feel for people who can't and have to rely on groups to get through worlds. I kind of like Sabretooth as a spell, I've had critical hits of over 10 K with it, Balance Blade, Sharpened Balance Blade, Hex and either Gargantuan or Colossal. Don't care so much about the Spirit Shield, I'd rather have more damage, but it's an OK spell. Damage wise it doesn't stand up to a properly used Chimera or Judgment. An OK spell though.