Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My gear

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 19, 2011
7
I have just started Avalon and I just wanted to know if I should have more critical rating or block rating in my gear or health than rating. And what is most important resistance damage or rating. Tell me if you have any suggestions. TY

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
3815
It really depends on your school, play style and whether you solo or team play. For most schools, mob fighting it's best to just carry a minimal deck and wear Waterworks or Wintertusk gear. For bosses throw in some more heals and bigger single attacks and dress to the battle. High resist gear for every school is available in the Bazaar. If you give more specifics on your school and play style we can offer more specific advice.

Explorer
May 11, 2012
91
I am a level 79 ice wizard stuck on the Juggernaut in Avalon, and, in my humble opinion, I would choose a higher block rating over a higher critical rating. Higher critical ratings seemed to be a better bet in the lower worlds, but the creatures in Avalon and beyond seem to have high block ratings, so even if you do manage a critical hit, it doesn't seem to do anywhere near the damage it use to do. I would look for gear with a good universal resistance. As to any other advice on this subject, I bow to other wizards that will respond to your question that are farther along then I am and have more experience.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
3815
Autumn Rain on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
I am a level 79 ice wizard stuck on the Juggernaut in Avalon, and, in my humble opinion, I would choose a higher block rating over a higher critical rating. Higher critical ratings seemed to be a better bet in the lower worlds, but the creatures in Avalon and beyond seem to have high block ratings, so even if you do manage a critical hit, it doesn't seem to do anywhere near the damage it use to do. I would look for gear with a good universal resistance. As to any other advice on this subject, I bow to other wizards that will respond to your question that are farther along then I am and have more experience.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79
Block rating doesn't affect damage at all. High block just increases the chances of blocking the critical. Critical does double damage unless blocked, and if blocked the attack does normal damage.

Explorer
May 11, 2012
91
seethe42 on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
Block rating doesn't affect damage at all. High block just increases the chances of blocking the critical. Critical does double damage unless blocked, and if blocked the attack does normal damage.
I understand this. That is why I think having a higher block rating is more important for the wizard to have in the higher worlds, so we can block the critical hits of these higher level enemies. These higher level enemies seem to have very good resistance to our critical hits, so it isn't a big deal to me to have a higher critical rating in the higher worlds when it is just going to be blocked fairly well by the enemy anyways. I would rather protect myself. But, like I said before, this is just my humble opinion. Everybody has there own style of play.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
3815
Autumn Rain on Jun 28, 2014 wrote:
I understand this. That is why I think having a higher block rating is more important for the wizard to have in the higher worlds, so we can block the critical hits of these higher level enemies. These higher level enemies seem to have very good resistance to our critical hits, so it isn't a big deal to me to have a higher critical rating in the higher worlds when it is just going to be blocked fairly well by the enemy anyways. I would rather protect myself. But, like I said before, this is just my humble opinion. Everybody has there own style of play.

Autumn FairyDreamer Level 79
You stated in your first post that they "...seem to have high block ratings, so even if you do manage a critical hit, it doesn't seem to do anywhere near the damage it use to do."

My only point was that one thing has nothing to do with the other. Criticals always do double damage if not blocked. ALWAYS. It also have a lot to do with gear. I critical quite frequently on the higher worlds. Yes they block more frequently, but I also have much higher critical rating than on lower levels so I critical more often too. It really depends on what type of player you are. Ice I can see ignoring critical for block because it's a defensive school. My Storm, Myth and Balance all do quite well when geared with ~400 critical rating. Even Waterworks gear provides regular criticals on bosses at the Avalon level.

Survivor
Apr 13, 2014
4
I'm a level 74 wizard amd i solo a lot in Avalon but now I'm on a dungeon it's in the place where you first start battling by a statue and i have tried and tried to solo it but its impossible to me and when I solo i have 3 sets of gear and stuff to match but my rings give 30-50 critical block wand 20-40 the amulet has 7 critical block if I'm not using mastery and my other stuff give 50-150 critical block so I'm good on critical block my resistance gets to be up to 35 my health 4550 with my gear for certain schools of magic but my critical rating for all is 100 but for life it's 250 overall these people in Avalon critical so critical block and resistance help and health is important but set up your deck by their school of magic like for storm i pack a bunch of heals and i often put in a couple more blades them usual for the others they are really np but for balance i put in cleans and myth i put in dispels