Welcome to the July 2014 Update Notes Page. What are Update Notes you ask? Every time we update Wizard101, we like to let our players know what changes have been made and what new additions have been given to the game. Update Notes explain those changes and updates.
No trout about it, this update is all about Magical Fishing! Players who are at least level 7 should speak to Lucky Hookline in the Wizard City Commons to get started on your angling adventures!
Magical Fishing comes to the Spiral!
Fishing is something we've wanted to include in Wizard101 since before we launched the game almost 6 years ago! And now, we bring you the magic of Fishing in the Spiral.
Players who are at least level 7 can speak to Lucky Hookline in the Wizard City Commons.
He's easy to spot - he's a Pelican with a fishing pole! He will teach you all you need to know about Fishing and give you the quest "A River Runs Through It".
If you want to fish, you have to go where the fish are! Many areas of the Spiral are populated with fish, and you'll know you're in the right spot when the Fishing Icon appears above your Journal. Clicking on the Fishing Icon displays your Fishing Spells. Fishing is a magical activity in the Spiral, ya know! Fishing is currently only available in Wizard City, Krokotopia, Grizzleheim, and Mooshu. Fishing has only just begun in the Spiral and more Fishing Holes and species are just waiting to be discovered!
There are different types of Fishing Spells, including Fish Catching Spells and Fishing Utility Spells that allow you to reveal a fish's school, or even restock the ponds!
When you're near a body of water, you just have to click on a Fish Catching spell to cast a Magical Lure. These magical lures look like orbs and they act as both a lure and a float, drawing nearby fish to it, as well as bobbing up and down when they bite!
If you don't like where your Magical Lure landed, you can click the cancel button and quickly recast the spell again.
When the Magical Lure flashes, that means a fish has noticed it and is coming closer to take a bite. As it bites, the orb will rise and fall a bit. The trick is to wait until the lure completely sinks below the water and when it does you're going to want to act fast by either clicking on the spell icon again, or pressing the Space bar once
to catch that fish!
If you succeed and catch the fish, you'll see the name and size. Small Fries are the tiniest ones, while Whoppers are the biggest. You might also get really
lucky and land yourself an Epic fish!
Fish are stored in your Fish Basket. The Angler's Tome displays a record of all the fish you've ever caught.
Some quick notes about Fishing.
- Catching fish consumes a small amount of energy. Energy will also be consumed if the fish gets away.
- Don't get discouraged if you don't catch the first few fish you lure. You'll get better with practice. It's all in the timing. Just watch for the orb to fully submerge before you reel them in.
- Fish have schools, in more than one sense of the word. You have a better chance at catching a Fire School fish with the Fire School Fish lure spells.
- If the fish gets away, it will give you a hint as to its school with the color of the splash: Black for Death, Crimson for Balance, Yellow for Myth, Red for Fire, Blue for Ice, Green for Life, Purple for Storm.
- The fish you see in the ponds are exclusive to you, other people will see their own fish.
- You can scare away your fish by running too close to them.
- Other players and mounts won't get in the way of your fishing view.
- You currently cannot fish in underwater areas.
- There's more than just fish in the lakes and rivers of the Spiral...
Players who are level 7 or higher will get a boost to their base Energy.
This boost to your energy can be used for Gardening, Pet Training or Fishing! Don't forget there are also some items that boost your energy such as the Beastmaster's Set in the Crown shop!
Fishing luck is a stat that increases your chance of catching a fish when you use a Magical Lure.
There are two new Elixirs in the Crown Shop that increase your Fishing Luck.
The following updates have also been made to the game.
- Look for Castle Blocks Recipes at Lloyd FallingWater in the Wizard City Shopping District near the fountain. Look closely, he's there!
- Look for recipes for Teleport Tapestries on Eudora TangleTree in Olde Town, Wul'Yahm in Krokotopia, Felicia Worthington in Marleybone, Balthazar Dragonthorn in Dragonspyre and Gearwise in Celestia.
- A new housing vendor has appeared in Zafaria! Visit Jihane Abletusk in the Baobab Market today!
- You must be friends with the owner of the house to use the Spiral Cup Gauntlet. You do not have to be friends with the owner of the house to use the Winterbane or Pagoda Gauntlets.
- The Spiral Cup Gauntlet, the Winterbane Gauntlet and the Pagoda Gauntlet can now all be placed in the Shared Bank.
- Silver chests in many worlds have been updated to provide world appropriate rewards.
- Creatures on the rooftops of Marleybone should be a little easier to avoid.
- Listen for additional ambient sound effects as you adventure through many areas of the Spiral.
- The MooShu quest "An Ailing Emperor" is a mainline quest, and can no longer be declined.
- Groups of four players should no longer be split up when entering towers within Sunken City.
- If you're dueling alone and are defeated while you still have an active Henchman, you will now have a full 30 second planning phase in combat that will allow you time to flee or purchase another Henchman.
- The spell Donate Power now once again correctly states that it "Gives pips to target" not "Steals Pips from Target".
- Other minor cosmetic updates.
August 6th, 2014 Updates
- The Regular Keeper Aquarium crafting recipe will now use Lifeacuda instead of Treantfish so more players can easily craft this aquarium!
- The icons for epic and rare fish have been changed so they are more easily distinguished.
- Idle animation for the Mystic Grimoire weapon has been made more magical.
- Lifeacuda will now animate when viewed in the Angler’s Tome.
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to cast fishing spells outside of water areas.
- All visible fish are now catchable even after switching realms after catching all fish in an area.
- Exiting Wizard101 before a derby match finishes will no longer block other players from completing the race.
- The Grand Statue of Zeus is now a “no auction” item.
- You will now be able to purchase a Regular Keeper Aquarium 3-pack in the Crown Shop.
- Frode Silverscale’s fishing spells will now be trainable at Fishing level 6.
August 7th, 2014 Updates
- Fixed a bug that caused some players to crash from trying to place pieces of the new Build-a-Castle Pack found in the Crown Shop.