Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level very high?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 18, 2016
My balance wizard is now level 69 and just getting ready to enter Zafaria. I have done ALL quests, including side in each world (Except Wysteria and Crab Alley). I was level 50 when I entered Celestia, and had found it to be hard so I decided to complete Grizzleheim (from start to finish, since I hadn't done it)...when I completed that, I was around level 60 and after finishing Celestia I am now level 69. I don't see other characters that have this same problem, so it seems off to me. Is it because I've done all side quests for the main worlds and Grizzleheim? I never 'power-leveled' my character in upper level dungeons, either.
I guess it made things easier since I got Ra, but I'm just confused.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Let me extend my kudos to you for doing most of the side content! Very wise of you do so as you've also picked up a signature spell in doing so!

Now, being Over-Leveled is never a problem as far as progression of the storyline goes, issues usually arise when:
  • Your level is too low
  • You missed a quest

If entering Zafaria is the problem ensure you've completed the Celestian Quest Through This Door. After which, the Headmaster should have the quest Dire News From Abroad for you to do.

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
Wow, that is... quite a high level to enter Zafaria. I would guess that it probably is because of all the side quests you've done. That does seem a bit odd though... then again, I myself have never been one to really focus on side quests, so I'm not sure if that's a normal occurrence. Did you use an XP boosting potion from the crown shop? That may have contributed.

Thomas Wildstaff, 93

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I found Celestia more challenging myself. I'm a Storm wizard and have read that we usually have problems here. I discovered henchmen and it's going easier now. I don't know if your level number really matters unless you're in some kind of race with someone to see who can get through at a lower level. Your game is yours to play. Have fun.

Alexis Dawnbreaker lvl 61 Storm

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Quite a few people stick predominantly to main quests, especially if they've run the entire game before and since main quests are not clearly marked in our books. They might do a side for a dungeon with good XP or drops (eg Waterworks), spell quests and quests for training points or pets, but skip the rest.

There is nothing wrong with either route (doing all sides or skipping some) but for those who skip sides it's not uncommon to find they're under-leveled and struggle at some points. My fire was incapable of defeating the fire mobs at the start of Celestia and had to go back to do some sides and level up more before taking them on again.

I don't think being over-leveled is a problem though. You might get sent for spell quests etc earlier than people you're questing with but other than that it is usually an advantage. It will even out more higher up too and a gap of even 10 levels quickly becomes a gap of 2 or 3.

Just play it how you enjoy it most. Don't worry or compare if things are working nicely and you're having fun It's one of the joys of Wiz that there is so much content and fun to be had!

Survivor
Nov 09, 2015
As long as your not under leveled it shouldn't be a problem, why complain that you have high level stats and spells? Anyway it is probably because you did Grizzleheim and the side quests. You would be surprised by how much they stack up.
-Ethan lvl 42

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Your experience level is normal for people who complete Wintertusk (fully, including all it's side quests) before they do Celestia - and especially if they do Wintertusk before Dragonspyre. You are very over-leveled at the moment, which might make the fights seem kind of boring to you. If you're finding this level of challenge to be perfect for you, don't worry. Just keep on questing as you have been.

If, on the other hand, you feel bored or like there's not enough of a challenge, consider skipping (or delaying) side quests in Zafaria and Avalon.

By choosing to focus entirely on the main quest content for the next two worlds, your wizard will gradually return to a more typical level for the world she's in. You don't have to decline any side quests (you can often finish them without trying while working on the main quests), but just don't go out of your way to complete them all. Hold off on those that don't get finished automatically, until you reach Azteca or Khrysalis, then go back and finish them.

The same crazy over-leveling happened to my Death wizard, who was way too advanced for Zafaria when she finally got there. She delayed doing her side quests and got her level to come back down to near normal by Azteca. She's still about four levels ahead in mid-Azteca, making the challenge just about right.

Alia Misthaven
Fallon Raven (completionist!)

Survivor
Jan 18, 2016
Star Edward on Apr 7, 2018 wrote:
Let me extend my kudos to you for doing most of the side content! Very wise of you do so as you've also picked up a signature spell in doing so!

Now, being Over-Leveled is never a problem as far as progression of the storyline goes, issues usually arise when:
  • Your level is too low
  • You missed a quest

If entering Zafaria is the problem ensure you've completed the Celestian Quest Through This Door. After which, the Headmaster should have the quest Dire News From Abroad for you to do.

I have the quest for Zafaria, so that's not an issue. I guess it just comes down to the fact that not many other people have done all of the side quests.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
If you're level 69 and just entering Zafaria, then basically everything there should be light work for you. Around that level, or maybe before is when I project my ice character to finish the world, seeing as I got there at level 57. May have been even lower if it were not for my doing some house dungeon quests with a few friends, as well as doing the BOX quests.

Bottom line, you're good to go for the entire world. Only issue I see is not being able to get your level 68 spell for a bit, and that might potentially carry over to your level 78 quest in Avalon if you do all the sides for Zafaria.