Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Waterworks

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 29, 2009
I am starting to like the Waterworks less and less for several different reasons. I understand that the gear you can obtain there is great, but it is not worth it. After some research, some experimenting, and some of my own Waterworks experiences, I have come up with a mathematical estimate of the chance of getting one piece of level sixty gear in one trip to the Waterworks. The percentage of getting one piece of level sixty gear in one trip is actually about 8%, the chance of getting two pieces of level sixty gear in one trip is about 6%, the chance of getting all of the available level sixty gear (3) in one trip is about 2-4%! I cannot fathom why people are so focused on getting this gear. Another reason I am not liking the Waterworks is because it is time consuming. For a group of people who are doing the Waterworks for the first time it takes about two and a half hours- three hours to complete. For an experienced group it takes about an hour and a half- two hours to complete. Because so many people are so "set" on getting this gear they don't really care about the time. I personally think people could be doing better things with their time than just getting gear on a computer game. I have nothing against spending some time on the computer, but just not that long. Another factor about the Waterworks that I don't like is exclusion. How do the menu chatters have a chance of completing the Waterworks? They really can not. Considering that all of the bosses in this dungeon cheat, this is not fair for menu chatters. I have also heard of exclusionary acts coming from those wizards who are not as practiced in the Waterworks. I have seen the phrase "Let's not go with these rookies" several times on my computer. I feel very bad for those wizards. Those are all of my thoughts about the Waterworks. I would love to hear what other people think of my thoughts.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2011
I agree that it's exclusionary. I've had people quit on me because I've only gone through waterworks twice and made the mistake of saying so. I've also had people refuse to go with me because I'm balance and they only wanted storm and life wizards. And it is a huge time commitment and it's really difficult to find people who will stick through the whole thing; most of the time I've gone in with people and we've lost one or two.
Also...seems like all my legend friends are more than happy to ask me to help, but when I'm looking for a foursome they're too busy.
Okay..end of rant :)

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Actually, you can not get all the gear in 1 trip to the waterworks...

Now, just because YOU don't like waterworks and because YOU don't think it is worth it, fine, don't go there, but Don't tell others it is not worth it...

The Waterworks provides lots of great items...

1st: Legendary Gear
2nd: Mastery Amulets
3rd: Lifeforce Blade
4th: Crown Gear
5th: MEGA Snacks

Now, you always get the mega snacks and the drop rates may be low on the rest, but it is very well worth the time and effort for items that can cost up to $20...

Just because YOU don't think so, does not mean the rest of us don't!

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I like waterworks also, but have seen numerous bugs. The drops are somewhat inconsistent at times also. A good example would be the mega pet snacks: I have heard several people state that they always drop,but from my experience,they don't. I was in there last night,and not a single pet snack dropped from start to finish. I have several friends who this has happened with also. It's not a concern to me,as I really don't dabble with pets very much.It may be a concern to others however. Waterworks is like anything else, some will enjoy it,some will not.

Survivor
Mar 06, 2010
loopy87 wrote:
I am starting to like the Waterworks less and less for several different reasons. I understand that the gear you can obtain there is great, but it is not worth it. After some research, some experimenting, and some of my own Waterworks experiences, I have come up with a mathematical estimate of the chance of getting one piece of level sixty gear in one trip to the Waterworks. The percentage of getting one piece of level sixty gear in one trip is actually about 8%, the chance of getting two pieces of level sixty gear in one trip is about 6%, the chance of getting all of the available level sixty gear (3) in one trip is about 2-4%! I cannot fathom why people are so focused on getting this gear. Another reason I am not liking the Waterworks is because it is time consuming. For a group of people who are doing the Waterworks for the first time it takes about two and a half hours- three hours to complete. For an experienced group it takes about an hour and a half- two hours to complete. Because so many people are so "set" on getting this gear they don't really care about the time. I personally think people could be doing better things with their time than just getting gear on a computer game. I have nothing against spending some time on the computer, but just not that long. Another factor about the Waterworks that I don't like is exclusion. How do the menu chatters have a chance of completing the Waterworks? They really can not. Considering that all of the bosses in this dungeon cheat, this is not fair for menu chatters. I have also heard of exclusionary acts coming from those wizards who are not as practiced in the Waterworks. I have seen the phrase "Let's not go with these rookies" several times on my computer. I feel very bad for those wizards. Those are all of my thoughts about the Waterworks. I would love to hear what other people think of my thoughts.

I agree with what you say. I just have one other thing that annoys me. Those people who decide to wait outside and join those who are trying to get back in, thus resetting that persons dungeon. They did it to my friends when we were up to Slyster, they got killed and I couldn't heal them, and then they couldn't get their gear after a grueling two hours. And they have done it to me as well, I tripped over my dog and pressed a wrong button ( when I was just about to start on the last boss), After I clearly said "I need to go alone" This guy joined at the last second knowing I had said that. Then after I asked, well yelled " what the heck!" He replied saying "jokes on you". Leaving me in a state of complete and utter rage.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
I haven't done any of the towers, for one simple reason-time. I've seen the gear from Waterworks and Tower of the Helephant, and while it is impressive, I have to weigh time versus results. As a grand master artisan, I can craft items that are close to, and in some cases better, than the gear from those two towers. And since I LOVE crafting, that works well for me. Now, if someone with Waterworks experience wants to help me through, and if it only takes an hour or so, I would try and run that tower. Helephant? I think if I stopped writing for 4 hours, my editor would kill me, especially if he found out I was trying to kill cartoon characters that look like minotaurs and piggies. ;)

Molly, Legendary Life and Lady Abby, Ancient Forest Crawler

Champion
May 03, 2011
I haven't done any of the towers, for one simple reason-time. I've seen the gear from Waterworks and Tower of the Helephant, and while it is impressive, I have to weigh time versus results. As a grand master artisan, I can craft items that are close to, and in some cases better, than the gear from those two towers. And since I LOVE crafting, that works well for me.

Agreed. I have crafted the WT gear for both my legends, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I've done all the big in-game dungeons, but none of the optional towers (Briskbreeze, Waterworks, Helephant), because, as the OP wrote, the ratio of drops-to-time-investment just doesn't add up for me. Also, as the OP pointed out, some of the behavior in and around those dungeons isn't the best. I guess if you have three friends who love the game, and you know one another well, AND you have a big chunk of recreational time, it could be fun. But for an adult with many other responsibilities, it just doesn't make sense. Still, I think the towers are fun for some people, and that's cool. I'm just glad KI came up with the WT crafted gear for the rest of us. :-)

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Agreed - forget the 2 hour slug fests, I am going to try the craft gear method or just use the level 58 gear, because lets face it if I am not doing the optional towers I can beat pretty much anything in the game that is normal battle that any of my friends are going to be doing. The one time I tried WaterWorks four of us went in by fight two two people dropped out leaving just two of us to finish it. With my first Wizard (Life) I did the towers - Briskbreeze and MarleyBone Spiral Key tower because at the time they were required to get to Celestia, it is nice that they dropped that and my other wizards don't have to do them but unfortunately I have friends that are unaware and take those quests making them my problem anyway. With my Death Wizard I was able to level up at Wintertusk with out even having to do much of Celestia which I prefer even less, just doing quests to get the level 58 pet when I was able. So add all the head banging areas you want but as long as they are not required to level my wizard up I am good and I am getting much better at just letting quests stay in my book if I don't want to complete them.

I loose 90% of my friends to draw on in mid Mooshu were they give up because it just gets too difficult for them to do, I spend a lot of time alone past Krock land.

On the other hand if you wait around these areas - sometimes longer then the fight its self and are extremely lucky a few people may come a long that are pros at these areas and wisk you though in less then an hour - such was the luck I had with my Life Wizard for Spiral Tower and Briskbreeze after a few failed attempts with others.