Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unfairness with the drops in Tartarus

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 19, 2010
19
seethe42 on Dec 4, 2013 wrote:
20 tries doesn't mean it's impossible. There are multiple sets of Hades gear also. The dungeon doesn't take that long and the drop rates are no worse than Waterworks.
The drop rate is MUCH worse than Waterworks. I completed two waterworks sets in no more than three runs per set. I find myself in agreement with the OP to a large extent. Yes, one run is far too little to gripe about. But even with one run, you shouldn't be getting Senator gear on the highest boss fight the game offers. Moreover, investing the time it takes to get a group and do this dungeon should nearly always yield more than a mediocre pet snack and a semi-rare reagent. This is a very long dungeon with a very long end fight. No-one is asking for guaranteed drops every time, but after running this dungeon numerous times, I admit I find Hades' drop rate to be astonishingly low-- to the point I have to wonder if he is bugged. The only time I got a Hades drop of any kind was when I had a group that re-spawned him. I do wish KI would take another look at this. Again, I am not asking for guarantees here, and I agree with the last poster that the dungeon is, in fact, a lot of fun-- very well designed area and fights. However, it is a serious time investment, and the last fight is rather difficult unless you are fortunate enough to get a team that (A) knows the fight and (B) actually sticks around for the entire dungeon. Spending an hour plus, sometimes two plus, and coming away with a senator piece, a reagent, and a medium snack is very demoralizing. If you don't want to change the gear rates, at least reconsider the snacks and reagents. Even that would help to alleviate the feeling that you wasted a big chunk of time.

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
11
Wohoo, I made to level 90 yay! I'm going to immediatly farm like crazy in tartarus! I can wait to get rid of this waterworks gear... (20 runs later...) Senator gear.. GREAT... Its not even my school... (Another 10 runs later)... Senator robe.....(Another 10 runs later)... Boots(1 day later) Wha... What!?!?!?!?! nothing but reagents!

Kingisle, please increase the drop rates, oh yea and in the next world no more grinding please

Just my story of tartarus... true story

Cameron Lifespear lvl 90

Survivor
Jun 29, 2011
3
MiguelThefirst on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
First of all your you seem to upset to even post, Just remember it's a game, you play it for amusement, no one is forcing you, secondly there are good drops, I've seen them, But if they are so good why make them so easily to be earned? You can't have everyone in the game running around with it right away then there would be no special reward for the ones that can do it, I am still farming the Gladiator, and Cronus, Then I will go do the fight against those three hoping I get the wand I want, Just stay calm and play with friends who enjoy the game too and either way you'll enjoy yourself

Your level 90 friend. -Miguel
Your level 66 friend. -Miguel
Your level 45 friend. -Miguel
you seem to have no idea about what is wrong with rare drops. i run tar everyday all day. never had a fail run . but when it comes down to the boss everyone expects trash loot. i am sure nobody wants everyone running around with good gear yea only selfish people think like that. i work to hard in wiz every one deserves to get loot every run. keep it random but increase the rates. that will make tar more fun. right now everytime i set foot in aquila i get same results. he dosent need to stay calm we have to rage ! because it isnt fair. some wizards can't afford membership every month to farm rare gear at tar.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2013
8
Posted on this thread in November 2013 about my frustration with the drop rates on Wizard101 Tartarus. All I ever get is Senators gear which in my opinion should not even drop there.

Since then I have farmed Tartarus on a continuing basis many many times. I have still not received the gear I am after.

The loot table there needs to be reworked.

The Wizard101 game has no end content for maxed out wizards and why would someone want to make another wizard to level it up to faced with the same poor drop rate conditions. There just are not enough hours in the day to successfully farm Wizard101 at the current drop rates.

And this includes Loremaster if you have any hope at all to get spells in there.

Now I know the gear has dropped for some extremely lucky individuals and they can say that they had no trouble getting gear however the reality is that there is a real problem that needs to be addressed.

Using extremely low drop rates as a method for end game content is not good customer fulfillment IMHO.

This is a cash shop game and if this is a method to penalize people who want in game gear instead of buying in the shop, this needs to be changed. And yes I do spend money in the cash shop.

Best Regards,
Koramik

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2923
some people are incredibly lucky; others are tragically unlucky.
i am the latter, as are most of the posters here.

my balance wizard has run tartarus at least 60 times and has only received one piece of gear. she got her boots on the first run when aquila was released, and has received nothing since then. last weekend, i ran tartarus 5 times in one day... i literally spent all day in there and got nothing but senator junk and reagents like mist wood.

looking at the risk vs. reward here, tartarus (i've nicknamed it tortureus) is a ton of work for very little reward. it's like going to work and hoping that you'll be paid for your efforts, but your boss gives you a pat on the back instead of a paycheque. and that's what it all comes down to: huge risk, and very little (if any) payoff. 2 hours of monotonous grinding, and for what? it's like trying to find a diamond in a sea of landmines.

i would be ok with 3 runs, 10, or even 30, to get my gear. but it's starting to look more like it'll take closer to 300 tries before i see any of it. i understand putting the effort in, but this is ridiculous (and that's an understatement, since the drop-rates bypassed ridiculous a few years ago and are now just so ludicrous that it actually defies description). yes, it's a dungeon, but putting in time should not mean doing time.

one customer's opinion might not make a difference. but if, say, a mass exodus- as in, hundreds of thousands of paying customers boycotting the game at once- were to take place, i betcha it'd be fixed right quick.

(i really hope it doesn't come down to that... but, if that's what it takes for ki to listen to us, then i'm on board)

-von "vive la resistance" shadowsong
frustrated, bored, annoyed subscriber with 3 promethean wizards who all need gear.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
403
"frustrated, bored, annoyed subscriber with 3 promethean wizards who all need gear."

If you aren't doing PvP I wouldn't bother with Tartarus. Get the blade and ring from the side bosses, but wait to see what comes up for level 100. The Tartarus gear is nice for offensive PvP builds where the pierce and crit can really pay off, but for questing it isn't a big deal. if you are bored and want to get it, it might come in handy sometimes, but you certainly don't NEED it. Many of the best players I know are still doing fine in Waterworks and crafted gear.
I hope there will be drops in KR2 that are more balanced for PvE, or maybe an expansion this summer(?) with some real upgrade gear.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2923
Dakota Death on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
"frustrated, bored, annoyed subscriber with 3 promethean wizards who all need gear."

If you aren't doing PvP I wouldn't bother with Tartarus. Get the blade and ring from the side bosses, but wait to see what comes up for level 100. The Tartarus gear is nice for offensive PvP builds where the pierce and crit can really pay off, but for questing it isn't a big deal. if you are bored and want to get it, it might come in handy sometimes, but you certainly don't NEED it. Many of the best players I know are still doing fine in Waterworks and crafted gear.
I hope there will be drops in KR2 that are more balanced for PvE, or maybe an expansion this summer(?) with some real upgrade gear.
i don't care for pvp, but armour piercing is great for a balance wizard; if i have that and infallible, i don't have to waste 3 pips (no mastery amulet here) every time i have to shatter shields off some balance boss who does nothing but spam them.

my 4 wizards over level 60 (3 prometheans and life legend) are all in waterworks gear right now, and they're more than able to hold their own, even though life is still missing her hat. it's the principle of it all that really irks me.

(kinda like when malistaire didn't give my balance wizard her level 50 gear; she was level 75 when he finally dropped it and, therefore, it was useless to her... but i kept going back for it just because i wanted it and, in theory, i should have gotten it at level 50)

the past few updates have all been for pvp. i hope that ki returns to its roots and makes something for pve as well.

-von

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
323
I've only run Tart once, nothing as a drop (not mad at that). Have fought Gladiator ~50 times with no ring. As an adult, I just do not have the time to dedicate ~2 hours to run the whole dungeon after spending an hour convincing my wife to do the same. Just too much time to put in and seeing all the replies here, I am not confident I will even run it again. The side bosses at least are not that time consuming.
Will just work on low level wizards and maybe get back to pet hatching. Which in and of itself is another grind. I have now over a hundred Mega Snacks but am tired of hatching, training then deleting pets ad nauseum.

Survivor
Nov 06, 2009
9
I understand your frustration, because i have had it too. Trust me. But honestly, when you do happen to get the gear, all the failures in the past happen to make it all worth it, especially to me.

Michael Owlstone lvl 92 pyromancer.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2013
8
Just at tip. You do not have to do the whole dungeon to do Gladiator. Just run down there and enter.
I hear you on the ring though. One friend has been trying for it for over 50 runs over many months. Good luck!

Defender
Apr 07, 2012
136
Survivor
Mar 26, 2013
1
I totally agree i've done tar many times and still not the gear i need its really frustrating somehow other people get something but me the senator laurel thing is so annoying KI plz fix the drop rate

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
51
This rant is really what's ridiculous. Going into a difficult dungeon that is often *farmed* by players and expecting something amazing every time you finish it is outrageous. I try to bear in mind how easy Waterworks was to farm compared to Tartarus because that's really all the newer players have to base drops off of. *Begins old man voice* Back in the day, I guess you could say, was a putrid thing called the Malistaire grind. Nearly EVERY level 50 (this was the highest level) had farmed, or tried to farm Malistaire for the best gear in the game. For obvious reasons, some of the top gear came from his dungeon, such as the rings and athames (from the Gurtok Elephants), and the robes (from Malistaire). This was a pretty serious grind for many players and enraged many, because instead of only being capable of getting your own school's gear, such as in Waterworks or Tartarus, it was possible to get other school's gear as well. Not to mention that at that time, Malistaire was no easy foe, he was pretty much the equivalent of Hades, Zeus, and Poseidon for level 95 wizards today. Although the Tartarus gear may be rare, it's a good thing that it's rare. The more rarity something has, the more it is appreciated. If everyone roamed the Worlds with Hades gear, nobody would think twice about it. However, if only a handful of dedicated players have their full set, it's much more impressive and noteworthy. Bear that in mind when farming for your Hades gear, because it could be worse.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
11
The drops are totally fair. My first time ever I got Hades Helm of the Abyss, because I used to double Hades glitch. The first time we killed I was the one who had to flee an I got nothing at all. But the second time I got the helm. The drops are fair, it's just luck if they raise the drop rate it would be way too easy. All my other teammates got nothing. Oh and the kill I. Six rounds for better drop rates does not work people just believe it because they got a piece of the gear once after they killed him in sox rounds. Hope that helps.

Stephen Battlesword- Promethean Life Wizard Level 91

Survivor
Apr 14, 2011
9
You know, i have the same problem. I've done tartarus 30+ times and only have the defense robe. I've done cronus 31 times exactly, and have no athame, but what seriously angers me is that every time i do this, some guy in the dungeon with me gets 2 of what i wanted, just like with the loremaster. Oh, and, KI, its not that much of a jump in stats, but with the rate it drops, you'd think the bloody gear makes you invincible. I know its good gear, but its not THAT good, so, please, lower the rate at least to where we can get something other than this senator gear than we trash INSTANTLY.

Survivor
Nov 07, 2010
5
Omiguy on Aug 3, 2013 wrote:
This is UNBELIEVABLE!

I did Tartarus today and I'm telling you: NEVER gonna do it again. I finished the last 3 Bosses WITHOUT dying a single time and all I got was reagents and one Treasure Card.

UNBELIEVABLE! Braided Vine, Diamond and Sirens Treasure Card. OH MY GOSH! This Dungeon is so difficult, especially the last battle, and all I got is some Reagents and a Treasure Card. You are insane KingsIsle. I am so mad right now and yes, this might be a rant but it's the truth!

Can somebody care to explain how is it possible that I killed THREE Bosses and only got this kind of stuff? Do you mean to tell me that I only got one thing from each Boss? WOW! You've outdone yourselves this time KingsIsle.

BRAVO!
wait ONE TIME?? I have done hades over 164 times on my Promethean Fire Wizard (i stopped counting after that) and alls I wanted was the Hades Offensive Set of gear (Hades’ Crown of Blazes, Hades’ Inferno Plate with Lava Lord and Hades’ Firestriders) not a single stitch. Needless to say I have dozens of zeus gear and for some reason poseidons hats and boots (no vestment ever for some reason) and lots of reagents, so when you say Unfairness with the drops i totally agree there. I think the greater the challenge the better the reward but obviously thats not the case here. I thought maybe with programming if I completed every single other quest on the game i would have a better chance of it. So i did I literally have no quests left to do on any world any where and am at max level and still nothing.

What can we do about it? Either continue to waste money on membership with nothing to do and no results or simply give up, pretty sure im going to be stopping for a while though out of frustration. Hope they put the new bits on soon or at least not be so stingy on the hades gear. I can see forty to fifty times but 200+? yeah but no

Survivor
Mar 09, 2010
5
I have to agree its time for the drops rate to be increased some. I have done this battle couple hundred times now and still don't have some of the gear. The newness of the battle is over for most higher level wizards so, lets move on to other rare things. I love the team up factor which not a lot of people seem to be using. One suggestion is that the team up for side battle there be a part from the other because so many people wait for team up then people go out the door because its just for the side battle only. Thanks

Explorer
Feb 18, 2010
72
Agreed. I'm tired of doing the doing the dungeon which lasts about 1 hour 30 mins to get senator gear. AT LEAST get rid of senator gear from final boss. That would calm a lot of people down including myself. I keep hitting max gold limit because of that annoying senator gear.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
22
I dont know but i thought that it gave me pretty good drops i got a great wand robe and hat mabey it is just luck

jacob walmarker lvl 31

Survivor
Dec 19, 2012
3
Waterworks Warrior on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:
Well I have done Tartarus three times and to be honest with you I got the Poseidon Fire HAt and Robe and also the HAdes wand and the zeus fire boots in three runs is this lucky?
Man its like you just quoted me.I too got all the above stuff plus zeus wand and cinder plate but did take 5 runs.I really can't understand why people complain so much not being rude anything but isn't it fun teaming up with random strangers each time and that surge of excitement you get when the boss is going down and the thoughts of drops he might leave?.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
20
As much as you guys are complaining, I feel worse. I have farmed a bunch of times, I'd like to say, ONE HUNDRED TIMES! So far I have gotten the - Hades Staff, Walkers of a Sorrowful Life, and Hades' Helm of the Abyss. I have yet to get my Armor of a Sorrowful Life.

Destiny HexVault

Survivor
Dec 27, 2013
7
Guys you don't understand. I too had a hard time getting stuff because I didn't know that hades had a timer.

When I realized hades had a timer I killed him first and really fast and I got boots and the helmet. I am still farming for hades inferno plate. But the trick is to kill him really fast and him first. then its a better chance of getting something.

Hope I helped

Michael Ashstaff lvl 92

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
403
Lord of Fire on May 21, 2014 wrote:
Guys you don't understand. I too had a hard time getting stuff because I didn't know that hades had a timer.

When I realized hades had a timer I killed him first and really fast and I got boots and the helmet. I am still farming for hades inferno plate. But the trick is to kill him really fast and him first. then its a better chance of getting something.

Hope I helped

Michael Ashstaff lvl 92
This is not true. The length of the fight does not affect the drops. It is pure chance. There is no timer.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2013
7
o i thought there was because the first few times i did do it and i killed him too late and i got senators stuff and other bad stuff.

if anyone wants to farm glad, cronus or hades be my friend and ill join ya.

sorry about that

Michael Ashstaff lvl 92

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
103
I will say little cause i in hurry lol

Dungeon is not worth of farming when gear doesn't hold universal resist "any" farmed few times so not worth my time and farming for " great gear " i stop doing it. Now i craft simple lol.