Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is WaterWorks worth the grind

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 24, 2016
Alot of people always say that waterworks is a waste of time and to much of a grind, i disagree here is why. There are alot of player out there who buy crowns and open packs to get crown gear, i for one and one of those people. Let me tell you the stats on that gear from those packs are amazing. i hit my first critical in marley bone just in time to save my life from a boss. just goes to show the stats are usefull and worth the cost. there was no way i would have lived through that without my critical. Anyway my crown gear that i had on was better than loot that was getting dropped from dungeons in zafaria and celestia. my crown gear level requirements are for the helmet 50 for the boots 40 and robe 40. now let me tell you i was hitting criticals in mooshu people asked me how and accused me of hacking though it was just my crown gear. now i have waterworks gear and let me tell you the stats are much better and i critical more often. now enough about the gear and to the grinding part. the bosses cheat ok and sure its annoying but its not like you cant do some serious damage an if you have a balance its alot more easy. there are even a couple glitches to getting past the fight before the lever that actually works that you most likly can find in a video. plus there are lots of guides explaining the cheats. and if you dont look it up there are a ton of expierenced people in team up who help out, sometimes even 120's. and they all can explain easly the cheats and how to do them. infact i ran it last night with all noobs explained everything to them and we had it done in like 45 minutes. here is the other thign i hear alot, the drop rates are terrible. i sort of agree i ran is 3 times and got the robe if you have time you definatly can farm it for the gear. sure the drop rates are bad i agree and understand but in the long run it is worth it please trust me. what are your thoughts i would like to hear them.

-RyanDarkHorn level 65 death student

Defender
Nov 10, 2015
Waterworks is totally worth the while. You get really good gear and its free.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
KINGMJ2004 on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Alot of people always say that waterworks is a waste of time and to much of a grind, i disagree here is why. There are alot of player out there who buy crowns and open packs to get crown gear, i for one and one of those people. Let me tell you the stats on that gear from those packs are amazing. i hit my first critical in marley bone just in time to save my life from a boss. just goes to show the stats are usefull and worth the cost. there was no way i would have lived through that without my critical. Anyway my crown gear that i had on was better than loot that was getting dropped from dungeons in zafaria and celestia. my crown gear level requirements are for the helmet 50 for the boots 40 and robe 40. now let me tell you i was hitting criticals in mooshu people asked me how and accused me of hacking though it was just my crown gear. now i have waterworks gear and let me tell you the stats are much better and i critical more often. now enough about the gear and to the grinding part. the bosses cheat ok and sure its annoying but its not like you cant do some serious damage an if you have a balance its alot more easy. there are even a couple glitches to getting past the fight before the lever that actually works that you most likly can find in a video. plus there are lots of guides explaining the cheats. and if you dont look it up there are a ton of expierenced people in team up who help out, sometimes even 120's. and they all can explain easly the cheats and how to do them. infact i ran it last night with all noobs explained everything to them and we had it done in like 45 minutes. here is the other thign i hear alot, the drop rates are terrible. i sort of agree i ran is 3 times and got the robe if you have time you definatly can farm it for the gear. sure the drop rates are bad i agree and understand but in the long run it is worth it please trust me. what are your thoughts i would like to hear them.

-RyanDarkHorn level 65 death student
Agreed, it is definitely worth the grind! You won't find better universal resist and damage for your school from 60-100! Definitely great to have going into instances like Mirror Lake, Xilbalba, Morganthe's Chamber and Darkmoor!

Good Luck!

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main

Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 85+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
thelastdiviner on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Agreed, it is definitely worth the grind! You won't find better universal resist and damage for your school from 60-100! Definitely great to have going into instances like Mirror Lake, Xilbalba, Morganthe's Chamber and Darkmoor!

Good Luck!

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main

Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 85+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
Did all those instances without it.

Survivor
Mar 24, 2016
Deffinatly the stats you get are deffinatly worth it i did 3 runs and got the robes its not like its really truly annoying to i understand people dont like grinding but this is the way to go without crowns

-RyanDarkHorn

Survivor
Mar 24, 2016
anecorbie on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Did all those instances without it.
I knw it is hard but keep trying and you will eventually get is all

-RyanDarkHorn

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
No. It's not worth the grind and here's why. A single run through Waterworks can take about 2 hours. (Longer if you're soloing.) Multiply that times however many runs you have to make when the drop rate is less than 10%. We're easily talking 20 hours or longer just to get a single item. Yes, some lucky few will get everything in less time than that; most aren't that lucky.

Meanwhile, Celestia dropped "No Auction" gear for level 58 is nearly identical to Waterworks, with the exception of universal resist. What you can purchase in the bazaar for level 58 or craft at level 56 in Wintertusk is also a very near equivalent.

House of Scales gear drops at a rate of about 30%. Within 3-6 runs I can get everything I need for a level 60 wizard and the stats are near equal to Waterworks. More accuracy, damage and critical, less block and resist. Zigazag & House of Scales are broken into smaller chunks, each easily done in an hour, and there is a second-chance chest at the end of the Scales. These dungeons also drop great pets, amulets, rings and athames, whereas Waterworks does not.

Once you level up higher, the 66 & 76 crafted gear in Zafaria & Avalon are arguably better than Waterworks for those who rely on damage and critical. When you hit level 70, you also have a shot at Poseidon gear from Aquila.

Bottom line?

Run Waterworks a couple of times and see what you get. If nothing drops after 2-3 runs, stop wasting your time and pursue the MANY other options available to you at levels 56-76. In the hours it would take you to grind Waterworks 10 or more times, you could easily run House of Scales for a full set of hat/robes/boots plus ring/athame/amulet ... OR hit up Poseidon a few times ... OR advance 6-16 levels and craft equivalent gear.

Alia Misthaven

Explorer
Oct 30, 2011
Your almost all wrong. Wintertusk crafted gear is better then robe and hat of waterworks, but the boots aren't. Waterworks is overrated. Wintertusk crafted gives better stats in everything except resist, plus cards. So hat and robe from wintertusk crafted and waterworks boots.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2012
It's worth it. Waterworks gear is one of the best in the game. On my old account (which I created in 2009), I remember grinding waterworks for days without getting something, which definitely is one of the downsides for farming these items. However, Waterworks gear is better than most of the gear you get in Azteca. I'd say the point where you can find better gear is in Tartarus. The time it normally took me to farm Waterworks would be about an hour depending on the team we had. Even now as a level 120 it'll still take a little while. This is why I think Waterworks gear is worth the wait.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I think it is worth it, but the crafted Wintertusk level 56 gear is pretty good too, especially the hat. I usually craft at least the hat and robe, then run Waterworks a few times and see what I get. Don't make it a grind, just do it when you feel like it. It can be fun with a good team, and shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes if you have 4 players who know what they are doing. Read guides on fan sites for tips if you aren't familiar with the cheats.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
it depends on your playing style. Waterworks gear means less now than it did before. Depending on your style, you have options from Wintertusk crafted gear, bazaar bought, dropped, waterworks drop, and Zigzag gear. Combine that with Helephant ring/athame and you really have a lot of choices. I tend to use a combo of WW/WT gear along with HT ring/athame and that does me good till 90 where I swap out the HT ring/athame for the Aquila ring/athame, and then at 100, whatever Darkmoor gear I can find

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I have to disagree with you, most crowns gear is total garbage. Perhaps if you had actual universal resist (which you get with WW) you would not have needed a critical to save yourself.

To each his own I guess.

As for Waterworks gear, indeed it is worth a few runs, somehow I never get the boots and just move on then craft those later. So i would suggest you do a few runs, but not like 100 to get everything lol. I would say 10 runs would be worth the effort. No way should it take 2 hours, not sure what that other person is going on about.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I didn't think it was.

It was very hard and I got things like seeds or treasure cards.

Someone mentioned crown chest gear.

Please KI Please Please Please, code the crown chests so they do not give out the same prize to the same wizard. At least, not in the same day.

It's very annoying to pay 50 crowns and get a prize only to get the very same school specific prize at 350 and 750 and 1000 crowns in the same session.

There are enough prizes in each crown chest that it won't be a case of buy til you get what you want but frankly even if people did that -- so what? They are still paying extreme amounts in crowns for each prize, by the time you have bought a few.

It isn't even 50 crowns and the next thing is 100 so you pay 50 more. Nope it's 50 plus 100 plus 150 plus 200 plus 250 all the way up to 1000 crowns or more. Iv'e had times I've gotten the same school specific and/or no auction and/or no trade prize 4 or 5 times in the same session.

I can't see a positive reason for it to be coded that way. Please, please, consider this as a special request??

Explorer
Jan 22, 2014
Hey last time I checked waterworks drops mastery amulets which are pretty great if you dont want to spend crowns

~Natalie lvl 41

Survivor
Mar 26, 2010
Especially if you don't want to spend crowns, I say WW is definitely worth it. I don't ever spend crowns; I don't see the point. I'm currently in Zafaria and I've been using my full set of Ice WW gear ever since I got the full outfit. I constantly see people grind WW so it was easy to get a full team together.

Fiona IceDust
Level 77 Thaumaturge

Survivor
Jun 13, 2017
To my knowledge, if you are on a budget and you are mid-leveled Wizard who doesn't want to spend money with free time on the weekend.
According to TheDuelist, actually, the Atlantea Gear is superior, but I plan on getting all the WaterWorks gear due to the stitching (maybe), and the fact that why not collect?

SOURCE

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
I grinded Waterworks for the full set, and it took me like, 10-12 runs to get it. That's about 20 hours. I really don't regret it though, it's very much worth it. It kinda depends on your play style, what you prefer. Wintertusk crafted gear is actually a bit better, and gives some cards too, which is nice, but I really don't like crafting gear because it takes like, 10 years to get all the materials, and you need to have a proper crafting rank. If you prefer more offense, use the Zigazag gear, which gives more critical and accuracy, but Waterworks gives in and outgoing healing and more critical block and defense, which I really do like. I would use the ring and athame from Tower of The Helephant, as they are both very good pieces of gear, though the first floor is really hard and annoying to get past. I did a run and only got the athame, which drops from the first floor, and I really hate doing it, so I guess no ring for me. I plan to stick with this gear for quite a while, though I think I might swap it out with Azteca crafted gear later. And maybe the occasional amulet and ring swap until I reach Darkmoor.