Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Game lagging

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
Can the game lag be addressed? Its awful and its not my computer, graphic cards, internet, etc... I have tried all the suggestions and nothing seems to be working on my end. I pay for the game like most people and I love playing with my granddaughter, but the lag makes it hard to play.

Administrator
There are different kinds of lag and latency, and determining which you are encountering will help us assist you.

Have you sent in a dxdiag file that will help our support determine if your system is compatible with our game?
Our system requirements are posted here https://www.wizard101.com/game/system-requirements and if you don't meet those minimums, you may have to adjust your settings in order to play the game.

When you run Wizard101, but before you type in your username and password, click the Settings button. A box will appear that will allow you configure some settings.

Advanced Video Tab
  • Bloom Active should not be checked
  • Brightness (that's personal preference to you, but if you find the game dark, brighten it up with this slider)
  • Hardware Cursor should be checked
  • Fullscreen (again, personal preference)
  • Resolution (this is the size of the window on your computer and the pixel density, try it at 1024x768 to start and see if that helps)
  • Smoothing should be set to OFF
  • Enabled Shadows should not be checked

If altering these settings improves your performance, great! If not, there could be more to look into including evaluating your computer setup as well as your internet connection. This is a job for our support team.

When you contact support, please ensure that you give us:
->the account name
->the character name
->your dxdiag file (instructions below)
->as much information about what you encountered as you can, including error messages or screenshots

NEVER send us:
->your password
->your full credit card information

The more information you give up front, the faster your issue can be resolved. It can take up to 48 hours before you receive a response.

A DxDiag is a utility designed to display the specifications of your computer hardware, as well as to test DirectX software, including sound and video. If you are asked for this information, it helps the support group relate your gaming issue to your personal computer.

To create a dxdiag.txt just go to Start -> Run (or Search in Vista) and enter dxdiag and click OK. Once the program has run its course, click "Save all Information" and it will output a txt file that you can attach to your email.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
Administrator
Then help us help you by following the instructions to send us your DxDiag file, young Wizard.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Apr 28, 2013
I've also had a lot of lag issues with the game lately, but after following the technical instructions that Professor Greyrose has posted here, a lot of that lag has been removed and the game runs much more smoothly.

(I would recommend to the original topic-starter to make sure that you have closed out of all programs before you run Wizard101, especially ones that require internet access. Sometimes my game runs really slowly when I have an internet browser window open under Wizard101.)

Sometimes my Advanced Video settings don't always stick and I have to re-input them when I turn the game back on, but it's worth it. Bookmarking this topic for the future!

So I just want to send a big thank-you to Professor Greyrose for posting those helpful tips!