Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance and Secondary? HELP!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
I'm creating a new wizard, and I have so far found that Balance is a pretty good school. However, I'm wondering what a good SECONDARY school would be. I know Storm and Ice are right out of the debate, but that's all.

Primary: Balance
Secondary: ?

Thanks so much
! :D

Tabitha Whisper, level 1
Bailey Icecloud, level 52
Calamity Light, level 60

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
I think it's just a matter of your own personal choice and playing style.
I went with fire as my secondary on my balance. It works for me.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
The question is, what are you looking for in a secondary school, defense, support, healing, hit, augment? That may provide you with better direction for a secondary school and beyond, my suggestion would be death.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I don't recommend training a second attack school, since it would either require the purchase of a Mastery Amulet or treat power pips as singles. You may be better off training support spells.

Since you're Balance, you already get all of the tri-blades and shields, plus Reshuffle for free.

The conventional wisdom is to train Ice to Tower, Death to Feint, and/or Life to Satyr. Since those require a total 19 points, you'll probably be in Celestia when you finish them. What order you do them in depends on how you play.

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
The great thing about balance is that you can fill in the gaps that the other classes leave, should you choose one of them as a primary class. As a balance primary, you aren't limited to one secondary to do damage, heal, or general duel support.

My balance is only level 11 right now, with a couple of points in Ice magic. I dont consider it my secondary, and only plan on training it up to tower shield. Then i'll probably start putting points in to another school.

What i'm trying to say is that with balance, I can still have moderate accuracy, damage output, and ability to survive all in my primary, leaving my secondary options open to whatever I feel like adding to my deck.

When arthur whethersfield tells you that balance is a more advanced school of magic than the others, he means it. I only started a balance after I had played through fire, storm, myth, and life, and found what i liked about them. Now with my balance primary, I can choose to add what I liked about the others to it, without sacrificing accuracy (like storm and fire) or damage cards (like life).

Its a very well-rounded option and I encourage you to explore many combinations

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
classact21 wrote:
The great thing about balance is that you can fill in the gaps that the other classes leave, should you choose one of them as a primary class. As a balance primary, you aren't limited to one secondary to do damage, heal, or general duel support.

My balance is only level 11 right now, with a couple of points in Ice magic. I dont consider it my secondary, and only plan on training it up to tower shield. Then i'll probably start putting points in to another school.

What i'm trying to say is that with balance, I can still have moderate accuracy, damage output, and ability to survive all in my primary, leaving my secondary options open to whatever I feel like adding to my deck.

When arthur whethersfield tells you that balance is a more advanced school of magic than the others, he means it. I only started a balance after I had played through fire, storm, myth, and life, and found what i liked about them. Now with my balance primary, I can choose to add what I liked about the others to it, without sacrificing accuracy (like storm and fire) or damage cards (like life).

Its a very well-rounded option and I encourage you to explore many combinations

Very helpful, thanks.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
LimitedA wrote:
I'm creating a new wizard, and I have so far found that Balance is a pretty good school. However, I'm wondering what a good SECONDARY school would be. I know Storm and Ice are right out of the debate, but that's all.

Primary: Balance
Secondary: ?

Thanks so much
! :D

Tabitha Whisper, level 1
Bailey Icecloud, level 52
Calamity Light, level 60

@Tabitha,

I recommend that you train Life and Death as secondary and tertiary schools. When you get to Celestia, add Aura and Sun spells to your arsenal. Gardening is an excellent way to augment Balance magic, too. I recommend Silver Trumpet Vines, Deadly Fly Traps, and white Laugh-o-Dils.

My Balance Soceress, Rowan Earthsong, trained Life to Centaur and Death to Feint, plus Infection from Mortis (for pvp). Rowan has been working on her spirit magic strategies lately. She is able to use Spirit blades/traps and Feint to great effect, especially when boosted with balance blade, blade storm, and Hotzilla's "may cast Life blade" talent :) She usually wears the Life Mastery Amulet, and sometimes carries a deck that is exclusively for battling with a team. LOL, Rowan can be a very helpful mander, as well as wielder of infinite power of the cosmos 8)

Hope you make a good decision, whichever way you go,

qbb/Rowan Earthsong, Legendary Sorceress

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
well mostly balance is best with the element schools but if ya wanna be uniqe and i know i spelled wrong so dont go like "hey you spelled wrong" :x so anyways you could be uniqe py doing a spirit school not much people see balance people with a spirit secondary if i would be balance i would pick life for the healing :P

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
There really is no such thing as a secondary school, unless you have a mastery amulet.

Definitely Ice to Tower
Definitely get Gargantuan
Probably Death to Feint- good for pvp, but once in Celestia or Wintertusk, the 30% on you can be brutal.

I don't agree that you need to train any life spells. Availing Hands is amazing (I get 1500 health per Availing). I have never needed any other healing spells. (Craft the Stellar Signet for sure!) If you do train life, get a life amulet. Occasionally you need health immediately and not over time. That's when a life spell comes in handy.

If I had it to do over again, I might try training Myth to Earthquake, and get a myth amulet. This would be strictly because I pvp a lot, and being able to shatter or earthquake my opponent could be helpful. Of course, Shatter would have to be a treasure, and you could just use treasure earthquakes too.

Another thought I've had is to train fire to fire elf, just for the pvp shield breaking ability.

My two cents...

Valkoor Moondust
Legendary Warlord Sorcerer

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Here is my build for my Legendary Balance...
Balance=Main School
Life= Only up to Satyr
Death= Only up to Feint
Ice= Only up to Tower Shield

"I know Storm and Ice are right out of the debate..." -LimitedA

You couldn't be more wrong. (forget storm) But remember, there is no balance shield, and their is no balance prism. Therefore you NEED Tower Shield (Ice) and you NEED Fient (Death). And you only get two measly little blade's. So you'll need to eventually craft the robe from wintertusk that gives +30 balance blade. And you will need the amulet that gives the +25 blade storm.
Without these things you will have no power and no defense.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Victoria Swiftpants Legendary Sorcerer & A+ Student

Survivor
Aug 26, 2008
Life would probably be the best way to go. A lot of people would say to get ice, but I don't really see what ice does for a balance wizard other than sheilding against balance attacks.