Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 should be safer for kids

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 25, 2008
I think Wizard101 should be safer for kids. No offense to KingsIsle, who is number 1 company, but it should censor out more words. For example, I was reading "Very Upset Parent". Then, I thought to myself to block out all word combinations that is offensive. For example, "Pipe" and "down" should be censored. Or other bad word combinations. Well, KingsIsle, all I ask you is to make the game safer for kids everywhere. Please include this in Grizzleheim or next updates to Wizard101.

From,
Robert MythHunter (level 50 conjurer )

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
Have you actually tried to use the text chat? There is no way they need to make the filter stronger. These "very upset parents" need to wake up and figure out that those kids saying inappropriate things are saying the same things at school.

Seriously, I thought my parents were strict, but when I come on here and see there's parents who think that the filter needs to be tightened because they don't want their kids exposed to language they hear at school, I feel so grateful for having parents that have a little common sense.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
yoda3135 wrote:
I think Wizard101 should be safer for kids. No offense to KingsIsle, who is number 1 company, but it should censor out more words. For example, I was reading "Very Upset Parent". Then, I thought to myself to block out all word combinations that is offensive. For example, "Pipe" and "down" should be censored. Or other bad word combinations. Well, KingsIsle, all I ask you is to make the game safer for kids everywhere. Please include this in Grizzleheim or next updates to Wizard101.

From,

Maybe KingsIsle can begin making a black mark chart. So say if you get 10 black marks you are either muted or banned depending on what things you have done.I also think that if someone reports you, you should be able to testify somehow.I think it is a little harsh to delete words from the game, its hard enough talking with what is filtered already.
-Ronan Sunstrider (level 46 pyromancer)

Survivor
May 10, 2009
yoda3135 wrote:

From,

When are you going to learn.. KI has made a very child friendly game, what they haven't done is started a online daycare who parents your kids for you. THAT IS YOUR JOB, not theres.

You are getting upset over words that are not profain and not innappropriate. If you have such a issue with the text chat then disable it for your child PROBLEM SOLVED they can't hear anything but the preset messages.

The fact is parents want to place the blame on anyone and everyone else just incase their poor little kiddy uses bad language. Well they hear these words from YOU,School,Friends,TV,Magazines,street,everyday life and yet you keep blaming all those places but don't realise the common denominator in the equation... and that is YOUR KID. It's not the world and people in its fault that your kid uses bad language its yours as a parent for not teaching them right from wrong.

I'm tired of my freedom and ability to communicate with my friends being destroyed because you want KI to babysit your children. I don't curse, I don't need to curse to get across the things I need to say, but I also don't like the fact that common ,nonprofain, words are being blocked by the filter. The system is already limited to such a degree that in order to curse you would have to amass a HUGE sentence of short words to make it close to a bad one and if you go threw all that chances are nobody but the person who wrote it will understand what is even being said!

I wish all the over-sensitive parents in this game would understand more than just your child play, you are not the only people this game serves and you need to stop trying to take away my freedom and ability to communicate because you are too lazy to be a parent or because you refuse to turn off their text chat. Every parent that has come here to complain has easy and already inplace options to give their children complete protection in this game, but do they use it? NO, they come to the forums and demand the game is changed to revolve around them.

Supervise your kids or turn off their text chat. Thats the options you have. Don't come to the forums and cry/moan. If you don't want to use the options available.. then its noone's but your,the parents, own fault if your kids sees/hears something you don't like.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Tgrable wrote:
yoda3135 wrote:

From,

When are you going to learn.. KI has made a very child friendly game, what they haven't done is started a online daycare who parents your kids for you. THAT IS YOUR JOB, not theres.

You are getting upset over words that are not profain and not innappropriate. If you have such a issue with the text chat then disable it for your child PROBLEM SOLVED they can't hear anything but the preset messages.

The fact is parents want to place the blame on anyone and everyone else just incase their poor little kiddy uses bad language. Well they hear these words from YOU,School,Friends,TV,Magazines,street,everyday life and yet you keep blaming all those places but don't realise the common denominator in the equation... and that is YOUR KID. It's not the world and people in its fault that your kid uses bad language its yours as a parent for not teaching them right from wrong.

I'm tired of my freedom and ability to communicate with my friends being destroyed because you want KI to babysit your children. I don't curse, I don't need to curse to get across the things I need to say, but I also don't like the fact that common ,nonprofain, words are being blocked by the filter. The system is already limited to such a degree that in order to curse you would have to amass a HUGE sentence of short words to make it close to a bad one and if you go threw all that chances are nobody but the person who wrote it will understand what is even being said!

I wish all the over-sensitive parents in this game would understand more than just your child play, you are not the only people this game serves and you need to stop trying to take away my freedom and ability to communicate because you are too lazy to be a parent or because you refuse to turn off their text chat. Every parent that has come here to complain has easy and already inplace options to give their children complete protection in this game, but do they use it? NO, they come to the forums and demand the game is changed to revolve around them.

Supervise your kids or turn off their text chat. Thats the options you have. Don't come to the forums and cry/moan. If you don't want to use the options available.. then its noone's but your,the parents, own fault if your kids sees/hears something you don't like.

Agreed, wonder when they're gonna learn

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
luffy52 wrote:
Tgrable wrote:
yoda3135 wrote:

From,

QFT.

I'm jealous though. When I write rants like that, the mods don't approve them.

Although, your rant is really unneeded. It's obvious this message is either by a kid who fears for his safety, or a kid who wants that kind of reaction. Blocking out all inappropriate word combination is impossible and would require a huge amount of man power. Also thinking that it could be done by the GH patch is just so naive I can't any intelligent adult thinking that it could be done.

Although, if it was written by an adult, then I want access to the 18+ chat, because if I have more common sense than an adult I want the chatting privileges of one.

Survivor
May 10, 2009
Blazian wrote:
luffy52 wrote:
Tgrable wrote:
yoda3135 wrote:

From,

QFT.

I'm jealous though. When I write rants like that, the mods don't approve them.

Although, your rant is really unneeded. It's obvious this message is either by a kid who fears for his safety, or a kid who wants that kind of reaction. Blocking out all inappropriate word combination is impossible and would require a huge amount of man power. Also thinking that it could be done by the GH patch is just so naive I can't any intelligent adult thinking that it could be done.

Although, if it was written by an adult, then I want access to the 18+ chat, because if I have more common sense than an adult I want the chatting privileges of one.

If you are referring to my post.. Then I am indeed a adult. Atleast I would consider 25 and soon to be married a "adult"

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
You want a stronger filter? We're not even allowed to say "three".

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
I think they have the way to much filtred in the chat but they have to. There fore the website would be dangerous for kids safety but i think they have a perfert amount of cleance in the chat.This kids is just going overboard with the sitiuation.It is perfert and child friendly. :D

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
Me being a parent of a kid who plays this game all I have to say is this.

Parents, the internet is not some baby sitter for you to sit your kids in front of. KI is doing a great job with this game. It is the best one we have seen so far for kids and adults to play together on it.

If you have a problem with the filter the way it is, then you really need to step back and examine yourself more then the game.

When my son plays I am ALWAYS in the same room with him if not playing with him.

What I do think would be a good idea (if it is not already in the game) is to install a chat log so you can see what your kid sees and says. That way you could see what is being said and also it could be used for proof of weather or not you broke the rules or someone else did in chat. Some other games use it and it works very very well.

But getting back to the point supervise your kids. It is your job and the most important one you will ever have.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
It's so true..KI nor any other online game is your babysitter..when YOU as the parent decided to allow YOUR child to play these kind of games IN THE FIRST PLACE..you are very well aware of the RISK. Children will learn inappropiate language sooner or later..is up to YOU as their parent/guardian to teach him/her and guide them to not use it.
I personaly have my three kids playing..my 7&8 year old..they have safe chat..my 13yr old..does not. I nor my daughter say inappropiate words in the game.
But, when my boys read the bad words being said in the game (when they are watching my 13yr old or me playing) they know very well never to use those inappropiate words.
People understemate a child's intellegance..these things are going to happen any time, any where(it's called the real world) Kids will be exposed to hear inappropiate words..it's up to you to make sure you teach YOUR child not to behave the way other children do ;) and that will make your child better than any other ;)
KI, is doing a great job at filtering many words but to DEMAND them to keep filtering more is outrageous!!!~
So, plz, take your responsibility and teach YOUR child about bad language. Sooner or later you need to have the the talk with them..it's ok, they won't bite..don't be afraid and talk to your child, i'm sure they are great and they will learn ;)

Good luck

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
No way. Chat is already very restricted. Plus pipe down isn't very offensive.

Delver
Jun 16, 2009
Tgrable wrote:
yoda3135 wrote:

From,

I agree!

Defender
May 29, 2009

If you choose to give your kids a safer environment, disable text chat and just have them use menu chat. That way, they'll only see ... for the words "pipe" and "down". I think W101 has given you all the tools you already need.

yoda3135 wrote:

From,

Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
Personally I think parents should just DO something about this instead of coming to the Message Boards, complaining, and pulling out their hair. (To clear things up, I'm a kid.) They have to realize that the "wizards" running around in these cute areas with funny clothes on with interesting names are real people. Also you should let your child know about this behavior, encourage them to not let these abusive players pull them into their world, and let them enable Text Chat when you think they're ready (it doesn't matter how old they are, they're ready when you decide they're responsible and mature enough) so they can help KI. KI needs your help. Yes, yours. They can't catch every single player, they would lose money that way. But the least you can do is Report these people so KI can deal with them.

Note that your child is already hearing MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MUCH MUCH, worse things in school when they start 3rd or 4th grade, also everyday life. They're kids people, you can't protect them from the world's bad side forever. Heck, they'll defintely curse at least once or twice in their lives. So get used to that fact. You can't change it, no matter how hard you try. Give it up, that's the way of the world.

Also note that the root of this problem are the parents. Parents are the #1 role models, and they cuss, day and night, and mostly yell when they do it, so there's a chance that the problem child will hear it, then pass it on to friends, then use it on the Internet, and in school, etc. Parents think that, if they say these things, kids will understand that these are words only grown-ups can use, and will note that their kids will won't and never, ever do these things, but they're wrong if they think that. So point the finger at yourself, not at the Internet or the computer, not at KI, not at his friend, or her friend, or that friend, or etc.

KI is not an online baby sitter. Don't think that every person is an angel when it comes to kid-friendly games.

The least you can do is help KI. Take action.

Good luck in the world of profanity,

You're gonna need it.