Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

when you leave the computer.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 26, 2013
I was logged on to the game but stepped away for a few minutes. Everyone would say she's AFK. There needs to be a way to let someone know that your away from the computer. When I was away, someone asked for my help. They said " Please port to me I need help". I did not see this message until after I came back to the computer. I immediately looked for this person but he had already logged off the computer. I'm hoping he didn't think I ignored his request. Please there has to be a way to let someone know your not at your computer. letting us push a button in the guide book or writing afk somewhere where everyone can see it when they log on to text you. Please something.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
You can go hidden to friends through your settings. It's at the top of the list in 'gameplay options 2'. This won't let them know you're coming back in a minute but it would let them know you're not ignoring them as you won't show online.

I don't think you should worry about your friend potentially thinking you ignored them. If they haven't learned it yet, they will learn that sometimes people don't respond just because they missed a message, not because they're not friends or are ignoring it.

I often miss messages when harvesting plants because the chat box gets filled so fast with the drops. I also miss them when I have small screen, chat box closed and I am clicking between wizards (duel boxing). If I miss the notification when it comes on the screen I don't know to open the chat box to respond, so miss it completely. Friends understand this and if next time I see them they say they messaged me a different time and got no response, they believe me when I say I didn't know. I never intentionally ignore messages

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Apply the option Victoria explained above.

If you're a bit concerned about your friend you can explain the situation to him/her when next they appear online.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Also, when you go hidden and you sign offline, your friends with their notifications on will also know that you went offline.

Meaning, they'd know that you were online and hidden.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
alia550 on Apr 6, 2018 wrote:
I was logged on to the game but stepped away for a few minutes. Everyone would say she's AFK. There needs to be a way to let someone know that your away from the computer. When I was away, someone asked for my help. They said " Please port to me I need help". I did not see this message until after I came back to the computer. I immediately looked for this person but he had already logged off the computer. I'm hoping he didn't think I ignored his request. Please there has to be a way to let someone know your not at your computer. letting us push a button in the guide book or writing afk somewhere where everyone can see it when they log on to text you. Please something.
You have a lovely compassionate reaction.
I have a different reaction.

I wonder why people so often wait until they are in a battle before asking for help.
I know sometimes people don't realize it would be as difficult as it turned out to be or that they became tired or bored while in battle.

But I think if that's the case, that person should realize the onus is on them to plan ahead and to ask for help well in advance.
Give the other person (who is being asked to help) a chance to grab a snack or liquid refreshment, take a computer break if they need to, finish the battle they are already in, etc.

Too many people wait until the battle has begun and then just tell the other person "port," without any regard to that other person's time or schedule, or own needs.

How many of us have even asked people to ask before they get there, so we can clear some time for that battle (often a difficult boss) and to let us know what the battle is so we can prep our gear etc. Only to have the person wait until they are mid battle, when they knew it would be hard, and then send an 'urgent' distress call to port immediately.

It can be a way for that person to manipulate the other into feeling obligated to drop everything and postpone the rest in order to immediately port without questioning it. It's done so that the other one feels obligated an feels they can't say no.

I say no anyway, with a request to please in future ask before you get to the battle.

OK sometimes I say yes but then I'm often regretful once I arrive. The person has evaded answering what the battle is, who the boss is, or anything else, although they know full well the answers to all of those things. If you port anyway, you're stuck.

All this to say: that's not your fault and you have no reason to feel bad about it.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Star Edward on Apr 8, 2018 wrote:
Also, when you go hidden and you sign offline, your friends with their notifications on will also know that you went offline.

Meaning, they'd know that you were online and hidden.

Please explain this?

When people have been hidden I haven't gotten any notices when they log on or off.

Hidden is hidden.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SparkleTude on Apr 8, 2018 wrote:
Please explain this?

When people have been hidden I haven't gotten any notices when they log on or off.

Hidden is hidden.
If I'm not hidden my friends can see me online. If I then go hidden the notification pops up to friends letting them know I have gone offline. When I change the setting back from hidden they get the same message popping up as if I had just logged in, showing that I have come back online.

If I log out from hidden they won't get a notification of that as i am already 'offline' as far as they're concerned. Likewise, if I am hidden when I log in they won't get a notification that I am online unless I go unhidden.

Hope that helps

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Please explain this?

Hidden is hidden.
The game provides the option of toggle on/off friends notification. It's what notifies you whenever a friend appears online or offline.

Now, what the game (in my opinion should do) is alter this a little to ensure the hidden aspect isn't flawed.

When you go hidden, all your online friends will see the message "Sparkle is offline."

Fair enough right?

But! If you continue to remain hidden, you sign offline, then the same message will come up on those of your friends who are currently online.

"Sparkle is offline" notification pops up to the top right of their screens

I've tested this on both my accounts and determine it to be true.

To correct this, no notification should pop up on current online friends when we're hidden whether we're signing off or online. Currently, the system defeats one of the purposes of being hidden.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
Please explain this?

Hidden is hidden.
I have, and my friends too.

I notice that when you're hidden and you go offline, friends online will still get a pop up saying X Person Is Now Offline.

Granted, as soon as you go hidden, the same message appears.

But it doesn't make much sense to me; if you remain hidden and sign into the game remaining hidden yes, your friends won't know, but they will know when you sign offline (while still hidden). That's the part that's a little confusing.

So, Hidden is not actually Hidden.

Friends can still take offense to this if they know you were ignoring them.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I only halfway understand that but thank you all for the explanations.

I dunno, in a way as long as the person sees you're unavailable it's kind of the same purpose, but I guess, I only go hidden right before I log out anyway, so it sends them two messages, a minute apart?? Sigh...

Yeah that seems like it should be fixed.

Nothing personal to anybody but sometimes I don't have energy to type, talk, chat, or be entertaining. I kind of feel I have to be if there is someone else around.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I have just been playing around with the hidden feature and notifications to see if I can make some sense of it.

If you are hidden when you log in it does not show you coming online.

If you were unhidden then go hidden it notifies friends you have gone offline, if you then go offline it does not show a second notification to reflect that.

If YOU are hidden and a friend comes online you get a notification that they have come online and adds them to your 'online friends' list but if they go hidden or go offline you don't get notified and they remain on your 'online friends' list. If you click your friend list to go unhidden you will find a bunch of wizards there who are no longer online even though it shows them on the list. Unfortunately clicking on the ghost friend does not update the list. You can message them or check their stats even though they are NOT online. If you try to group them nothing happens. If you try to port to them it will recognise they're not online and notify you they're not online, also refreshing the entire list. Changing areas also refreshes the list.

TLDR:

If you're hidden friends are not notified if you log in or out.
If you are hidden you are notified when someone logs in but NOT when they log out.
If you go unhidden your friend list may contain 'ghosts' that only vanish when you change area or attempt to port to one of them.

If you try to message a 'ghost' your message will appear to have been sent, same as right clicking a name or hitting reply to someone after they have logged out.