Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is your secondary school and why?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Hi my name is Oran Mythweilder and I would like to know what is your second school and why.When you post on this please say your character name and your level.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Someday I'm going to make a long post explaining why if you have a "secondary school", you're doing it all wrong.

For now, I'm not using any training points, just to see how long I can go without it. (Currently through the end of Krokotopia) I do see some other cards that would have obvious uses, but they wouldn't be taking a particular "secondary school".

Explorer
Dec 11, 2008
Quizzical wrote:
Someday I'm going to make a long post explaining why if you have a "secondary school", you're doing it all wrong.

For now, I'm not using any training points, just to see how long I can go without it. (Currently through the end of Krokotopia) I do see some other cards that would have obvious uses, but they wouldn't be taking a particular "secondary school".

I agree, I think taking a secondary school is a dire mistake, as you can hardly get a deck that holds all of your cards and spells, and on top of that, you should probably save those for other spells that you find throughout the worlds, such as the ones from Niles.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Squire
Dec 02, 2008
wizdud1 wrote:
Why do you think im doing this all wrong.

What do you want from your secondary profession? If you say damage, that's almost invariably the wrong answer.

High damage spells use a lot of pips. As such, in order to use one, you'll have to wait until you have a lot of pips. As you get high level, you'll get increasing percentages of power pips that kind of need to be used in your own school to be efficient.

Suppose, for example, that you wish to use Helephant but are not fire. 615-705 damage at a cost of 6 pips probably looks pretty nice if you're not storm.

Except that in the first six pips you get, perhaps three of them are power pips. If you use those six pips to cast Helephant anyway, you've essentially spent 9 pips to get 615-705 damage. You could do far better than that by using spells from your own school. For example, if you're life, which is perhaps the lowest damage school, a combination of Centaur and Nature's Wrath add up to 755-895 damage--far exceeding Helephant for the same 9 pips.

And it's worse than that actually. Blades that increase your damage are restricted to your primary school. Add Lifeblade and Life Trap to Centaur alone and you have 937-1082 damage. To make it a fair comparison, you'd have to add Fire Trap to Helephant and you get 768-821 damage. So now you're using a lot more pips to do a lot less damage--as compared to a "low" damage school.

If you try to salvage pips by only using Helephant once you have six normal pips, so that you don't waste power pips, then you could perhaps have to wait until you're 11 turns into the battle to cast a 6 pip spell. Meanwhile, with power pips accelerating the casts of your own school, you'd get Centaur off in perhaps 4 turns.

And we're not done yet. It gets worse. What happens if you fizzle? If trying to cast a six pip spell outside your school, you could easily have a full seven pips stored up. If that fizzles, then the next round, you don't get a pip at all. By taking advantage of power pips, you could probably try to cast Centaur with only four or five pips on your bar. If that fizzles, oh well, you get another pip and can try again.

So what is a secondary school good for? Things that won't waste power pips. If a spell only costs 0 or 1 pips, then it doesn't matter whether that spell is in your school. Most one pip spells aren't terribly nice, as they prevent the accumulation of pips.

Having a lot of zero pip spells, on the other hand, is vital. Using zero pip spells lets you store up pips so that you can cast something more powerful. A zero pip spell might not be that great compared to a five pip spell, but it's surely a lot better than a pass.

And as you get higher level, this becomes more important. It takes a lot more zero pip spells to save your pips for a 6 pip spell than for a 2 pip spell.

The zero pip shields, in particular, become more important as mobs become more powerful. Using a shield for -70% damage to blunt an attack that would have only hit you for 80 damage might not seem terribly impressive. If that attack would have hit you for 400 damage, decreasing that by 70% makes a huge difference.

Survivor
May 03, 2009
Quizzical wrote:
wizdud1 wrote:

What do you want from your secondary profession? If you say damage, that's almost invariably the wrong answer.

High damage spells use a lot of pips. As such, in order to use one, you'll have to wait until you have a lot of pips. As you get high level, you'll get increasing percentages of power pips that kind of need to be used in your own school to be efficient.

Suppose, for example, that you wish to use Helephant but are not fire. 615-705 damage at a cost of 6 pips probably looks pretty nice if you're not storm.

Except that in the first six pips you get, perhaps three of them are power pips. If you use those six pips to cast Helephant anyway, you've essentially spent 9 pips to get 615-705 damage. You could do far better than that by using spells from your own school. For example, if you're life, which is perhaps the lowest damage school, a combination of Centaur and Nature's Wrath add up to 755-895 damage--far exceeding Helephant for the same 9 pips.

And it's worse than that actually. Blades that increase your damage are restricted to your primary school. Add Lifeblade and Life Trap to Centaur alone and you have 937-1082 damage. To make it a fair comparison, you'd have to add Fire Trap to Helephant and you get 768-821 damage. So now you're using a lot more pips to do a lot less damage--as compared to a "low" damage school.

If you try to salvage pips by only using Helephant once you have six normal pips, so that you don't waste power pips, then you could perhaps have to wait until you're 11 turns into the battle to cast a 6 pip spell. Meanwhile, with power pips accelerating the casts of your own school, you'd get Centaur off in perhaps 4 turns.

And we're not done yet. It gets worse. What happens if you fizzle? If trying to cast a six pip spell outside your school, you could easily have a full seven pips stored up. If that fizzles, then the next round, you don't get a pip at all. By taking advantage of power pips, you could probably try to cast Centaur with only four or five pips on your bar. If that fizzles, oh well, you get another pip and can try again.

So what is a secondary school good for? Things that won't waste power pips. If a spell only costs 0 or 1 pips, then it doesn't matter whether that spell is in your school. Most one pip spells aren't terribly nice, as they prevent the accumulation of pips.

Having a lot of zero pip spells, on the other hand, is vital. Using zero pip spells lets you store up pips so that you can cast something more powerful. A zero pip spell might not be that great compared to a five pip spell, but it's surely a lot better than a pass.

And as you get higher level, this becomes more important. It takes a lot more zero pip spells to save your pips for a 6 pip spell than for a 2 pip spell.

The zero pip shields, in particular, become more important as mobs become more powerful. Using a shield for -70% damage to blunt an attack that would have only hit you for 80 damage might not seem terribly impressive. If that attack would have hit you for 400 damage, decreasing that by 70% makes a huge difference.

OMG who has the time to write that?! anyway i am fire and i chose storm as my secondary school because its helpful to have really powerful spells even if the fizzle. But if i could do it again i would do storrm/life because you fizzle quite a bit if your storm and healing would be helpful

Defender
Feb 07, 2009
I chose Myth as my secondary school because of Earthquake, the spell used to remove enemy shields. Since I'm a Death Wizard, the only myth spell that will BE in my deck is Earthquake, since it could remove all shields from enemies.

Survivor
May 13, 2009
I selected Life for my secondary school because I have a healthy regard for my own health.

Survivor
May 22, 2009
I Simply have not chosen. I am a level 26 Sorcerer, I am just saving points for the end.

~Ronan WolfRider Level 26
~Blake FrostBane Level 20

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
Well. i am a adept sorcerer (the last time i checked) and my secondary school is life. i started having my secondary school when i really really needed it which was when i started krok. (btw, i am up to satyr if you want to know where i am in it ^.^) . i have life as my secondary class b/c i thought i would need ALOT of heals. i was disappointed when i figured out that balance gets a healing spell (helping hands). i was about to go to the dude where you can unlearn traning, but then i thought abou it and figured i could stick with it. and thats why my secondary class/school is life :).

Luke LifeGem lvl:29 Balance Student :-)

Survivor
Feb 24, 2009
My main wizard is Ice and her secondary is life but she only has one more spell in Life so next is Death. Ok I have no clue what I just said!

Victoria Firefinder lvl: 39 (soon to be 40! )
Schools: Ice Life and Death

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I haven't chosen a secondary school because I'm not sure what the best use for my training points would be. You don't seem to get a whole lot so I don't want to use mine and regret it later so I've just been getting free spells. I'm a Necromancer, level 16, and so far haven't had too much trouble getting my quests done so even though I'd like to try some new things out, it's not necessary at the moment.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
My main school is Death but my secondary is Life. It gives my character that Ying - Yang quality....plus more healing cards.

Shelby Orgeshade - Level 18 Journeyaman.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2009
I am A lvl 29 Death wizard and i have the same strategy as Quizzical I am Life up to pixie
Ice up to tower shield
I am getting reshuffle and weaken that are balance spells.
And who knows after that

Survivor
May 16, 2009
My main school is myth and my second school is FIRE!

Jeffrey lifethorn lv:28myth

Survivor
May 31, 2009
Hi my toon is Rebecca RoseBlossom and im ice/life. this is turning out to be a great combo because it's really easy to solo stuff. with the whole bunch of health from ice as a primary and the healing stuff from life, she's really hard to kil. :D

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
My name is flint ravenflame i am level 37 and i am balance and i chose my secondary school as life for the healing and the absorb shields are nice for a soloing balance wizard.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
My Wizard's name is Destiny Starcrafter and I don't think it's stupid at all to have a secondary school. I think variety is key to any wizard's deck. You don't need four of every spell you learn, just use the cards that are best for you in each school. My secondary School is Life. Every Storm has the potential to become deadly, but it's guaranteed to bring new life. So that's Why I picked life... Oh yeah and I can heal, LOL. Don't listen to other people tell you how to play this game. If you don't want a secondary school, that's cool, but you'll have to spend those training points somehow.

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
Konichiwa("Hello" in Japanese), my name is Katherine Jadeflower. My school is fire. My second profession is life because you can heal yourself and other people, shield with spirit armor which can protect you from 400 damage, it has the most accuracy, and their spells are powerful. Life can you really help you if your close to dying. you can even heal with satyr for 860 health and be saved. This is why I chose life as my second profession. ^_^

Katherine Jadeflower
lvl 45 Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
Quizzical wrote:
wizdud1 wrote:

Ok you got me lost there in all the paragraphs. O. O I'm completely lost seriously. Could you make your explination a bit shorter?

Katherine Jadeflower
lvl 45 Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
Quizzical wrote:

How many training points do you have so far?

Defender
May 11, 2009
My name is Thomas Fireblade and i am a Pyromancer and my second school is storm because it i the strongest of the three main schools and i am like halfway through ice as my third

all you people who say to save your training points to get one certain spell at a time you cant do that you have to do the schools spells until you get up to that spell

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Quizzical wrote:

Wow haha whatever you say, do whatever you want save em or spend em your choice. Me personally i prefer to spend them on life, since i am fire i could use the better healing.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
Ciao! I'm Morgan Duskflame (NOT FIRE SCHOOL!!) and I am a death student. My secondary school is life. I chose life so I can have some more healing spells in my deck. I think that having a secondary school to fall back on is an important part of wizards 101. I mean we only get one training point every one or five levels. We should have the choice to have secondary schools. And I am very very bored and I don't have my laptop that has my wizards account on it!!! I'm stuck in fabulous freddies car wash!!!! :D

Explorer
May 10, 2009
My school is storm, because I'm a fire and storm is very powerful so I decide that fire and storm is very powerful.