Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is up with these fizzle rates!?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
I just came back to the game after about a 1.5 year break and am astonished at these fizzle rates! In order to better learn the many changes since my departure I started a new death wizard (I have a death and balance that are slightly over level 70 and a couple of other schools at level 50) and I've noticed a HUGE difference in fizzle rates. They are higher than ever and in higher wizard levels they are really breaking the game for me.

I think when a spell card reads 85% it should really mean 85% but one of my most crucial spells is only hitting about 65% IF THAT. In my opinion that rate is ridiculous so my suggestion is either fix these crazy fizzle rates or change the spell cards to show ACTUAL fizzle rates.

My death wizard is now level 53 and halfway to level 54. I am quickly approaching my battle with Malistaire and really dreading the encounter. I fizzle like crazy and I remember the battle with old Mal quite well.

To be honest I'm astonished at the many debuffs our wizards have received since I left and I'm really not happy about them. Many would argue that this makes the game more "fun" but I admonish that a fizzle three times on your most important spell per SIMPLE boss battle is far less than fun and it's making me so mad I could scream. The spell cards at present LIE about the percentage of fizzle and that is very unfair of the developers to do.

Come on people, fix this please!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
They are random. The rates aren't lower that shown on the cards and proven by the fact that enough boost to make that number add to 100% makes fizzles disappear completely unless charmed. I agree that at lower levels it appears really bad, but that's selective memory at play. You remember the times when you fizzle twice in a row and forget the times that you went 30 casts without a fizzle.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
One more thing. Our wizards haven't been debuffed. The worlds, quests, and bosses have been greatly debuffed though.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
quick fun fact, storm is suppose to the a glass cannon, high power, low health, low accuracy.... storm snake, very first ever card, sitting at 70% accuracy, fizzles like 7/10 times, dark fairy, i believe, could be another one pipper, but anyway, sitting at 75%, fizzles 3/10 how does 5% make a difference

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
The wraith spell I have for death is fizzling at least twice per battle and quite often three times. This is any battle. You are telling me that is in line? I did fight Malistaire yesterday and did notice that he is greatly debuffed. On the last wizard I played against him he had 100k health and he doesn't hit like he used to. HOWEVER, every battle I am in now is excruciating due to the fizzle rate I am seeing.

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
eyreisheyes on Oct 4, 2016 wrote:
The wraith spell I have for death is fizzling at least twice per battle and quite often three times. This is any battle. You are telling me that is in line? I did fight Malistaire yesterday and did notice that he is greatly debuffed. On the last wizard I played against him he had 100k health and he doesn't hit like he used to. HOWEVER, every battle I am in now is excruciating due to the fizzle rate I am seeing.
Malistaire only had 100k health on the original Test Realm.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
eyreisheyes on Oct 4, 2016 wrote:
It's really all in your head.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
"It's really all in your head."

It is not really all in my head and I find the immediate prior comment rather rude. I'm having extreme frustrations with the game on the whole and that is not so much the large dungeons because I really expect those battles to be much more challenging but even mobs are ridiculously difficult in many ways.

On a constant basis I see regular NPC's using cards that should be MUCH above their rank so even though I presently am level 59 many of those NPC's can kill me in 3 hits. That is not imagination. That is extremely frustrating.

I reiterate that the game should be fun - yes, challenging but challenges in my opinion shouldn't equate regular mobs with bosses.

Just yesterday I did some quests in Celestia and after killing a dungeon boss I went to area NPC opponents and had a more difficult time with those than I did with the bosses. I am aware of built in random rates of fizzles and other factors however developers DO program everything from failure rates to mob difficulty. What I was mainly requesting was for the devs to take a look at what they have programmed and evaluate whether mob difficulties are imbalanced in contrast to player levels. Yes, I am using star and sun spells which reduce fizzle rates some but the present situation of fizzle rates compounded by mobs using spells way beyond their rank has me frustrated and looking for another game already.

Considering the fact that Wizard101 has experienced drastic reductions in player numbers it is worth looking at all aspects of gameplay to find a reason for that. In all occasions of drastic player reduction factors that come into play are out of balance battles and poor response of developers to address player concerns.

I am no inexperienced player for any game and have played games for around 50 years (age spoiler) so I'm well qualified for evaluation of gameplay. I have beta tested many games and moderate another game. Insulting players with serious concerns is rude.